Hofstra Adding Track and Field

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Hofstra Adding Track and Field

Post by ProudofPride »

Interesting move today, with HU announcing the additional of men’s and women’s track and field.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/2/27/ge ... track.aspx
HUSID74

Re: Hofstra Adding Track and Field

Post by HUSID74 »

Wow, very surprising that we are adding sports when all I hear is that budgets are being cut.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

I'm actually disappointed. Not sure T & F supports any other sport. At most schools T&F supports football in many respects and of course you know the story there. I was hoping that HU would add men's hockey as no school in my view is better situated to do that with a hockey arena across the street and two rinks a stone's throw away (Twin Rinks on Merrick Ave.) and in a strong hockey area.
HU76

Post by HU76 »

As an old track guy I’m glad to hear it. Hard to maintain a cross country program without track. Can be added without a huge investment since you can scale the size of the team up or down. And they have the Mitchel Field track which is a great facility.
Wags

Post by Wags »

If these track athletes will run with footballs, that's one step closer. :D
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Is actually just track, not track & field so will probably not involve that many scholarships. My guess is outdoor track will run at Mitchel Athletic Complex across the street, but not sure about indoor track.
ProudofPride

Re: Hofstra Adding Track

Post by ProudofPride »

Track is starting this spring, and they had a practice today, per the team’s instagram page. Even if the rosters are exactly the same as cross crountry, it’ll still help with recruiting, since they’ll get to compete pretty much year round now. I think it was a smart decision, especially after the success the teams had this season. At this point, there’s probably not much more of a financial commitment needed from the school, besides what I assume would be a pay raise for the coach, and a track if they ever put one on campus. Maybe the indoor facility will be the bubble?
HofstraPride1

Re: Hofstra Adding Track

Post by HofstraPride1 »

ProudofPride wrote:Track is starting this spring, and they had a practice today, per the team’s instagram page. Even if the rosters are exactly the same as cross crountry, it’ll still help with recruiting, since they’ll get to compete pretty much year round now. I think it was a smart decision, especially after the success the teams had this season. At this point, there’s probably not much more of a financial commitment needed from the school, besides what I assume would be a pay raise for the coach, and a track if they ever put one on campus. Maybe the indoor facility will be the bubble?
The bubble would be too small for distance running events, although could certainly practice shorter events there. I'm excited to see what unfolds from this. Plenty of talented track athletes in our own backyard we can recruit from.
HU76

Post by HU76 »

They had a track in the stadium until they paved over it. Most indoor tracks are 200m or smaller and distance events are run indoors. Chances are they would have an indoor season where they enter invitationals. But they could train indoors in the dome. If it’s a CAA sport other teams would have indoor facilities too. Outdoors Mitchel Field is an excellent track.
Last edited by HU76 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Probably made a deal with NCC and Mitchell Field. With a Hofstra and NCC so close having shared facilities benefit both schools. Good job by Hofstra
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

Nice to see Vinces outstanding stewardship of CC rewarded. Congratulations Vince.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Does anybody know how common it is for a D1 college to have just track as a sport and not track & field?
HU76

Post by HU76 »

I think it’s just semantics. You can have a team that is limited to certain events. There is no rule for competing in all track and field events.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Mikey77 wrote:I'm actually disappointed. Not sure T & F supports any other sport. At most schools T&F supports football in many respects and of course you know the story there. I was hoping that HU would add men's hockey as no school in my view is better situated to do that with a hockey arena across the street and two rinks a stone's throw away (Twin Rinks on Merrick Ave.) and in a strong hockey area.
Believe me, I am DEFINITELY with you about adding hockey. But the budget for a track team vs a hockey team isn't in the same universe. That being said, track definitely isn't a revenue sport. My guess is this helps bring the M/F ratio closer to the middle.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

So help me understand this increase in the number of sports at HU. The athletic department adds four sports where the facilities are NOT on campus. Where do the runners train in winter? I am aware that the Mitchell Field outdoor track is a short distance away, but the pool IS right on campus. Why not add Swimming and Diving, or just Swimming with no Diving. Isn't that somewhat like Track without the Field? How is this a benefit for HU in the CAA? Does anyone think this is an addition to the total number of sports available so HU looks more attractive to a different conference? Why do I feel there is more to this upgrade? Is it even possible one of the current sports might be phased out?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Shadow good thought. If I had to take a guess number one to be phased out Field Hockey. Number two to be phased out wrestling. Anyone have other thoughts. You subtract a men’s and women’s team to keep title ix in place
bean-pie

Post by bean-pie »

Didn’t we just hire a new field hockey coach and correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t wrestling one of our better performing sports?? I primarily stick to basketball and softball, so I’m not 100% sure regarding the other sports.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

The thing is they already have a track coach in house, and some of the athletes. You don't need to add a coach or do any recruiting right away. I wouldn't be surprised if you see a bunch of dual sport athletes (not just from CC) in the beginning. If they need to add another, women's swimming is easy.

The only requirement for Title IX is that you get closer to the goal every year. Assuming the spending in these two teams is equal, it brings it closer to the median.

I very much doubt they're going to phase out anything at the moment- especially not a women's sport. If men's had to go, tennis and golf would have to be first.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

There is also a sort of indoor track in the Fitness Center. I don't know if they'll just reserve it for the team during specific times.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To HofstraHockey, I was not aware of the Fitness Center track, so that answers the winter track training. I understand about the in place Cross Country/Track Coach and how it makes recruiting easier for a sport that can be in season from fall to winter to spring, but I just have a feeling that there must be something more in the plans. ToStuball888, I do not believe that field hockey is in danger because of the new hiring announcement of the former assistant coach now becoming the head coach. I am concerned about the once very successful and proud wrestling program having difficulty in the EIWA the past few seasons.