MBB Game 23 at Northeastern on February 2, 2019 (4:30 P.M.)

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB Game 23 at Northeastern on February 2, 2019 (4:30 P.

Post by Polito »

You know guys, I did not attack a single poster in my post (except joshing with Wags the other day who is literally a fraternity brother of mine), so I would really appreciate the same respect.

The little faction of you guys who do nothing but follow my posts and wait to attack me seriously needs to stop. All you guys can offer your critiques but I can’t?

I found the way they turned in a 14 point butt whipping a concern - so you crucify me?

It’s enough. Perhaps just offer your perspective instead of purposely banding together to bash me specifically. You may come talk to me in person or PM me instead if you need to - not hard. I feel the need to state this publicly this time as I am being targeted publicly, but will not make another post about it to follow my own request.

The blatant trolling from you folks is inappropriate, unwarranted, and should not be allowed here. This is simple forum etiquette, and I’m respectfully asking you going forward to please put a stop to it so we can all enjoy this space.

Now for more important matters. I’ve heard some expressed concern about JWF, but then again he did play the entire second half… Hope he is feeling 100%.

Gut check time for this team IMO.

Cactus, I like the confidence, was chatting with HUSID as well on the same cutting nets belief 8-) things like this give me great pause, we’ve been burned for years… Th ink of it this way:

If I gave you the choice of two teams in the championship game, the previous games one won on a prayer buzzer beater, the other spanked in their win by 14, not even full force. In that beating they proved they can neutralize the others stars, and 90% of their impact players. One has a coaching staff who has proven to cut nets and be champions in this conf, the other has only talked about it and choked in every opportunity thus far. Blinders off, 10g’s on the line, who are you taking?

Only thing I can think of to counter is the one with JWF of course! Except he was put to sleep with the rest. Not exactly confidence building.

Perhaps NU isn’t the best team in the conf, but they’ve made it pretty clear they are better or let’s say match up better than HU.

Perhaps HU doesn’t even have to face NU in the conference tourney, which would be ideal, so this may be moot. But if they do, this game makes it all the more concerning.

And I adore Buie, all know I think he’s a stud, but when you have no assists as the floor general you did not have a great game. This was a dud across the board. Hopefully an anomaly, and they’ll have their chance to prove that.

Big moment for this team and staff - agree Wags fully, gonna see what they’re made of now. I do think they will bounce back strong, but NU in Charleston is scary to this teams chances.

Ask, yeah the refs stunk, but blaming officiating is a loser mentality. They always have an impact, good or bad. You can bet HU isn’t going to have any friends in Charleston, bank on that, so this team will need to play well enough that that will not be a determining factor. Can’t use it as an excuse, team simply has to play much better when it matters most.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I for one feel that the loss to NE will ultimately be good for this team moving forward. The pressure of the STREAK is off...they know they have work to do and the pressure of trying to beat what is arguably the best team in the League THREE times is not there.

Take care of business, win the regular season title and I will feel real good about our chances in Charleston...that's all ANYONE can ask for.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

The to see the streak end but I am with you HUSID that this could end up being good. Let’s start a new streak Thursday and maybe get it to 11 with a conference championship.
HU76

Post by HU76 »

JWF, Pemberton, Coburn and Ray shot a combined 9-36 and 3-17 from three. There's your game. Coburn actually shot an air ball on a layup. Not sure how much credit Northeastern gets for that performance. Doubt you'll see shooting that bad from this team again.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito wrote:HU may have the best record, but they are not truly the best team until they prove the prayer wins were not flukes. Exactly why I said that before this game. So far, HU's win over NU looks like luck....

Sigh... it's just so typical of HU and JAM, blow the opps when people are actually watching on TV lol.
Everyone knows you want Joe fired, you led that charge last year, and you were almost gloating after we took the bad L last night. Like you think you know something we do not, as if it somehow vindicates your stance, which is totally unjustified. Read what you wrote. It's not a personal attack, it's an attack on you still clearly wanting Joe fired, and ramming it down our throats every time we lose. Have some thicker skin, you're not a victim, it's not personal at all.

If you watched the first game, we were actually leading the majority of the game, and pulled it out of the fire late. The buzzer beater was lucky, but we played hard as hell that first game, led most of it, and earned the win, it wasn't a prayer.

As for not playing JWF with two fouls TripleC, I agree with you, I would have put him out there because he's not foul-prone, even if he picked up his third, but I do see the coaches point that you don't want your top player with 3 fouls in the first. The way they were calling fouls in the first, I'm surprised we only had one foul-out.

Also it was an opportunity for other guys to step up, and nobody really did. I really think we lost control of the game in the last 4 minutes of the first half, even though we got good looks, we couldn't drop a shot, got down 8, and played uncomfortably the whole second half.

The silver lining is the reality we haven't played in many of those scenarios this year (down on the road, in foul trouble), so we can draw back on this game as what not to do, and make adjustments. Again like echoed above, take care of business at home against Elon and W&M, and we still have a 2 game lead on the conference with 6 games left. Let's see how this team responds to adversity.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This is one game and I’m not ready to jump off the roof just yet. Everyone can draw there own conclusions as to the outcome of this game and what it means going forward. It was a must win for them if they want any chance in winning the conference. It stopped our streak and it becomes maybe a statement game for them. We still have only one loss to their three. We’re in full control of our own destiny and it’s better being us then them. FD I’m glad you’re agreeing with the decision to bench Justin as a mistake. IMO a big one. I’m sure we will not see Justin getting benched again with 2 fouls in the 1st half for the rest of the half. It makes little sense and Joe realizes this now plus as we see we maybe can win without Eli but not Justin.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cards wrote: Looking at the box score, I see JT had a double double - better numbers than it seemed watching the game. I guess since he didn't dominate, his performance just got lost.
He scored 8.
triplec2195 wrote: When is the last time Justin fouled out? When is the last time Justin even came close to fouling out?
He has never fouled out. He has 9 games with 4 fouls, and the 2 this season were January 10 at William & Mary and January 24 at James Madison. He never had 4 fouls as a freshman, did it 5 times as a sophomore, and twice as a junior. Considering we lost by 14 and he didn't shoot well, I don't think we would have won if he played 5 more minutes. If we lost by 3 like they did at Hofstra, I might criticize having him spend so long on the bench.
HUclassof19 wrote: never once did i think we were going undefeated in league play. do you realize how difficult that would have been.
I didn't expect to go undefeated. I might have expected that if we were undefeated after winning at Charleston.

Since we joined the CAA, the fewest CAA losses is 2 by VCU, George Mason, Drexel, and Delaware. Delaware did it in 2013-2014 when the CAA had 9 teams and 16 CAA games. The last team to have fewer than 2 CAA losses was when Richmond went 13-1 in 1988-1989. The only team to go undefeated in CAA games was when William & Mary went 9-0 in the CAA's first season in 1982-1983. They lost the CAA Tournament Final 41-38 to James Madison, and as I hope people know, William & Mary has never been to the NCAA Tournament.
Wags wrote: and you don't go into a possible HU-NU title game overconfident because you beat up on everyone else not named Northeastern.
We didn't beat up on Monmouth out of conference and William & Mary and Elon in the CAA.

Northeastern did better in the two head-to-head games, but that doesn't make them the better team for the whole season or the CAA part.
Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Polito wrote: HU may have the best record, but they are not truly the best team until they prove the prayer wins were not flukes. Exactly why I said that before this game. So far, HU's win over NU looks like luck....

Sigh... it's just so typical of HU and JAM, blow the opps when people are actually watching on TV lol.
Everyone knows you want Joe fired, you led that charge last year, and you were almost gloating after we took the bad L last night. Like you think you know something we do not, as if it somehow vindicates your stance, which is totally unjustified. Read what you wrote. It's not a personal attack, it's an attack on you still clearly wanting Joe fired, and ramming it down our throats every time we lose. Have some thicker skin, you're not a victim, it's not personal at all.
Even if everyone knows Polito wants Joe fired, you don't have to say he's "almost gloating" because he wants Joe fired if he didn't say that in that post. I'm not saying Polito is perfect, but you shouldn't argue because of somebody's history that was not newly repeated. If you read sports message boards, you're going to read posts from people who want coaches fired even on good teams.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I don't normally double post other than during games, but after quoting people, I'm going to make a new post.

Who would you rather play in the Final, Northeastern or Charleston? Charleston will have more fans, but Northeastern will probably do better against us in the regular season. Northeastern outscored us by 11, and Charleston would need to beat us by 25 to do that.

We should beat Elon and William & Mary easily. If we're tied with Elon at halftime and win by 10, we should be worried. The Sagarin says we should have a combined margin of victory of 31. A combined margin of under 25 would be disappointing.

Right before the game, the statistics mistakenly said Dwyer was starting. Losing by 14 was bad, but if we won and found out Taylor was out for the season, it would have been worse for our chances of winning the CAA Tournament.

The highlights Hofstra posted from court level included Northeastern's announcers. Normally the highlights Hofstra posts don't have announcers.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito wrote:Cactus, I like the confidence, was chatting with HUSID as well on the same cutting nets belief 8-) things like this give me great pause, we’ve been burned for years… Th ink of it this way:

If I gave you the choice of two teams in the championship game, the previous games one won on a prayer buzzer beater, the other spanked in their win by 14, not even full force. In that beating they proved they can neutralize the others stars, and 90% of their impact players. One has a coaching staff who has proven to cut nets and be champions in this conf, the other has only talked about it and choked in every opportunity thus far. Blinders off, 10g’s on the line, who are you taking?

Only thing I can think of to counter is the one with JWF of course! Except he was put to sleep with the rest. Not exactly confidence building.

Perhaps NU isn’t the best team in the conf, but they’ve made it pretty clear they are better or let’s say match up better than HU.

Perhaps HU doesn’t even have to face NU in the conference tourney, which would be ideal, so this may be moot. But if they do, this game makes it all the more concerning.

And I adore Buie, all know I think he’s a stud, but when you have no assists as the floor general you did not have a great game. This was a dud across the board. Hopefully an anomaly, and they’ll have their chance to prove that.

Big moment for this team and staff - agree Wags fully, gonna see what they’re made of now. I do think they will bounce back strong, but NU in Charleston is scary to this teams chances.

Ask, yeah the refs stunk, but blaming officiating is a loser mentality. They always have an impact, good or bad. You can bet HU isn’t going to have any friends in Charleston, bank on that, so this team will need to play well enough that that will not be a determining factor. Can’t use it as an excuse, team simply has to play much better when it matters most.
I understand the cynicism, this is NY, and we're rooting for a team that hasn't won the conference tourney since 2001. But I'll take the team with the better talent that can score in bunches and plays good D. Not to say they will win, NE is very well coached, tough on defense, and move the ball well, but I'd take Hofstra on a neutral court > 50% of the time. To answer evanj's question I do think Northeastern will be a tougher out in the CAA tourney than Charleston, even with their baked in home fan advantage.
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Polito wrote:HU may have the best record, but they are not truly the best team until they prove the prayer wins were not flukes. Exactly why I said that before this game. So far, HU's win over NU looks like luck....

If you watched the first game, we were actually leading the majority of the game, and pulled it out of the fire late. The buzzer beater was lucky, but we played hard as hell that first game, led most of it, and earned the win, it wasn't a prayer.

As for not playing JWF with two fouls TripleC, I agree with you, I would have put him out there because he's not foul-prone, even if he picked up his third, but I do see the coaches point that you don't want your top player with 3 fouls in the first. The way they were calling fouls in the first, I'm surprised we only had one foul-out.

Also it was an opportunity for other guys to step up, and nobody really did. I really think we lost control of the game in the last 4 minutes of the first half, even though we got good looks, we couldn't drop a shot, got down 8, and played uncomfortably the whole second half.

The silver lining is the reality we haven't played in many of those scenarios this year (down on the road, in foul trouble), so we can draw back on this game as what not to do, and make adjustments. Again like echoed above, take care of business at home against Elon and W&M, and we still have a 2 game lead on the conference with 6 games left. Let's see how this team responds to adversity.
couldnt agree more!

just to be certain. you are allowed to take shots at coach joe or members of the team. but we cant call you out for that and you then get all crazed when people take shots at you. pot meet kettle.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Losing brings out the best in us like a deja-vu from last year when we lost to UNCW. We need to stop taking shots at each other since we’re all passionate fans and want to win bottom line. So we’re entitled to vent. There’s not a single person out there that isn’t ecstatic at the year we’re having so let’s keep the faith and stand behind this team.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I would rather play Charleston for matchup reasons.

EvanJ wrote:I don't normally double post other than during games, but after quoting people, I'm going to make a new post.

Who would you rather play in the Final, Northeastern or Charleston? Charleston will have more fans, but Northeastern will probably do better against us in the regular season. Northeastern outscored us by 11, and Charleston would need to beat us by 25 to do that.

We should beat Elon and William & Mary easily. If we're tied with Elon at halftime and win by 10, we should be worried. The Sagarin says we should have a combined margin of victory of 31. A combined margin of under 25 would be disappointing.

Right before the game, the statistics mistakenly said Dwyer was starting. Losing by 14 was bad, but if we won and found out Taylor was out for the season, it would have been worse for our chances of winning the CAA Tournament.

The highlights Hofstra posted from court level included Northeastern's announcers. Normally the highlights Hofstra posts don't have announcers.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

triplec2195 wrote:Losing brings out the best in us like a deja-vu from last year when we lost to UNCW. We need to stop taking shots at each other since we’re all passionate fans and want to win bottom line. So we’re entitled to vent. There’s not a single person out there that isn’t ecstatic at the year we’re having so let’s keep the faith and stand behind this team.
Well said triplec.

Everyone roots differently - some try to make positives of things while others like to point out the negatives. I think it’s safe to say everyone in this board wants this team to succeed and cut down the nets in March. It’s been a long time and there is room for optimism and skepticism here. Let’s just hope this game was a blip in an overall successful season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
garyg

Post by garyg »

As others have said before me 11 would be a real nice streak to go on now...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote:As others have said before me 11 would be a real nice streak to go on now...
We will all sign up for this but need to take one game at a time. We don't need to lose games like NE and COC have done that they should have won. One game at a time and everyone needs to contribute not having to get 40+ points from Justin in order to win. I prefer the games where he gets 15-20 and has assists and we have very even scoring across the board. We're a very tough team to beat when its not the JWF show!
Cards

Post by Cards »

EvanJ wrote:by EvanJ » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:49 pm
Cards wrote:Looking at the box score, I see JT had a double double - better numbers than it seemed watching the game. I guess since he didn't dominate, his performance just got lost.He scored 8.
Not to get picky with you Evan (because you are clearly the "stats man") but 10 pts 11 rebs - double double
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cards wrote:
EvanJ wrote: by EvanJ » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:49 pm
Cards wrote:Looking at the box score, I see JT had a double double - better numbers than it seemed watching the game. I guess since he didn't dominate, his performance just got lost.He scored 8.
Not to get picky with you Evan (because you are clearly the "stats man") but 10 pts 11 rebs - double double
You posted while I came to explain. The statistics at http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcas ... slive=hofs (which haven't been corrected) have JT with 8 and Coburn with 4. The box score has JT with 10 and Coburn with 2.

Pusica won Player of the Week.
Cards

Post by Cards »

EvanJ wrote:
Cards wrote:
EvanJ wrote: by EvanJ » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:49 pm
You posted while I came to explain. The statistics at http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcas ... slive=hofs (which haven't been corrected) have JT with 8 and Coburn with 4. The box score has JT with 10 and Coburn with 2.

Pusica won Player of the Week.
I guess at some point in time, we were both right - depending on the source of info! I think its all "fake scoring" - we need to see it with our own eyes to know whats true :lol: :lol:
Polito

Post by Polito »

My skin is just fine. Warm showers each and every day thankfully – how you holding up?

Duly noted my request will not be honored. Okie dokie. Nothing in my post warrants this tear down of a fellow fan. Thought we were all past that this year. Very poor form.

huclassof19, I have not addressed you once this season. Incredible how fast you came out to attack me – who’s the one saving posts just waiting to pounce?? Irony at it’s best. The fact that you forced yourself in here for the sole purpose of trying to trash and troll a man nearly twice your age on a Hofstra sports message board is very off center. Think twice next time, seriously, it’s odd.

And yes, a paid coaching staff is 100% fair game for questioning. Especially when they have blown the last 2 CAAT’s in bad fashion. Since when do paid coaches not have to answer? Yep I felt a change in the staff should’ve been made. 5 years and plenty of talent and nothing to show for it. Yep, I dared to think let’s look at options of how to improve. Oh the horror.

(And by the way, they haven’t cut nets yet, so I think we can all agree there’s still a lot to prove here. Considering just how talented this team is and how bad this conf is, it’s DANCE OR BUST.)

I have made it a point to be as fair and respectful to the players as possible, while still noting their play. FD literally called out Pemba and the JM coaching mistake. Yet you have no issue there?? It's perfectly fine to disagree with my views, but at least keep the feedback useful to the board - this stuff from you guys at me is just garbage.

Take a gander at this article if you missed it, but be careful, you may find it very offensive when they (gasp!) question Joe’s decision making and imply he got (double gasp!) out-coached: https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/2/ ... ht-foreman

All I noted was exactly what JAM said himself. And I still feel NU made a statement to HU that they are better…at least for now – prefer to have nothing to do with them in the CAAT.

FD your comments were entirely unprovoked and unnecessary – “hyperbolic contrarian”? “everyone knows” I want Joe fired?? Are you for real? You really need to back off. You guys have nothing to say to my praise posts – just cherry picking anything that helps force-feed your Polito narratives, jumping all over the one post where I simply noted the poor job in the WAY the team lost (not the loss itself mind you). Heroes, all of you.

For anyone to insinuate that I would take pleasure in seeing this program lose, is absolute total asinine buffoonery. Speaks straight to the intelligence of the poster. But see I care about the PROGRAM and want the PROGRAM to WIN. If it’s JM who does so, GREAT. If it’s someone else, just as GREAT. I do not support any one person OVER THE PROGRAM. IMO no one is bigger than it, the program always comes FIRST, period.

Bottom line is there’s about 3 or 4 of you who are on a pure witch hunt for me, pretending that you’re not, but fooling no one - and the more you guys post the more obvious it is. You guys are doing nothing more than blatantly targeting and trolling one poster. I’ll certainly survive, so if it get your rocks off keep on trucking behind the safety of your monitors. I won't be going anywhere.

GO HOFSTRA
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito wrote:My skin is just fine. Warm showers each and every day thankfully – how you holding up?

FD your comments were entirely unprovoked and unnecessary – “hyperbolic contrarian”? “everyone knows” I want Joe fired?? Are you for real? You really need to back off. You guys have nothing to say to my praise posts – just cherry picking anything that helps force-feed your Polito narratives, jumping all over the one post where I simply noted the poor job in the WAY the team lost (not the loss itself mind you). Heroes, all of you.
Haha, great throwback, they fixed the main later that day, thankfully.

Polito, I agree with the majority of your posts to be honest. Look it up, I positively quote you all the time.

But you clearly don't like Mihalich, his coaching style at least, and in many of your posts you throw little jabs at the staff, and caveats that any success they have means nothing until they get in the dance.

I happen to disagree with that mentality, mainly because Hofstra has zero tradition of winning if we're being honest, and Joe's done a good job to rebuild the program, but I don't care if that's your opinion. The NCAAT is the objective standard we all want to see the team achieve.

This is clearly the best team we've had in 20 years though, and we just finished up a 16 game win streak where we've crushed the competition, in a way we haven't done since Jay Wright. There weren't even any fluke wins in there, we generally murdered the competition, sure there were a few close games, but jeez, you can't win every one by double-digits.

You were killing us in this thread like we've been losing every game, I wasn't over the line to say that take was hyperbolic. I called you out on it, so what. It was a ridiculous take off a 16 game win streak.

Do you actually think you're being clever when you write something like "blaming the refs is a loser mentality" without quoting anybody who said that? That was a veiled jab. It's passive-aggressive, and that's the manner you write in frequently. Next time you can just quote me, I said the refs sucked in Boston, and I stand by it. I wouldn't think it's offensive at all either, it's not personal, it was just my take on the game, which anyone is allowed to disagree with.

I only judge posters takes. If I agree, I'll say it. If I disagree, I'll say it. I don't apologize for that. That is the point of a message board. Polito, you like to make highly opinionated posts, that's cool, usually I agree, sometimes I don't.

Either way, the Northeastern game is in the past and I'm absolutely giddy about this 102-61 drubbing tonight, it was our best effort of the year.