Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
hualum

9 votes in AP POLL

Post by hualum »

That has to be a school record.
HUSID74

Re: 9 votes in AP POLL

Post by HUSID74 »

Nice keep it coming...hopefully we'll crack the top 25 if we run the deck!
Last edited by HUSID74 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

A majority of our poll points were 5 from being ranked 21st by Damien Sordelett of The News & Advance in Lynchburg. Google Maps says Lynchburg is 1:39 from the JMU Convocation Center, so I'm assuming he pays attention to them. We got four 25th place votes including John Feinstein keeping us 25th. We got poll votes in our last season in the America East in 2000-2001, but I couldn't find how many.
Cards

Post by Cards »

A little off topic here, but I checked Joe Lunardi's latest brackets and we are still in Hartford as a 12 seed against Iowa. The funny thing is that the other game in Hartford is Maryland against Stony Brook. I know its a million to one, but can you imagine HU vs SB in the round of 32. Would be an easy ticket to the sweet 16 :lol:
Wags

Post by Wags »

For housekeeping's sake, this was already posted in the Media thread, but hey, getting 9 AP votes deserves as many threads as anyone wants.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Cool Bracketology Site

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
Polito

Post by Polito »

FANTASTIC, ditto HUSID, keep em coming baby!!!

I'll take anywhere, but playing in Hartford would be an absolute dream - and I'll take that bracket too!

Would love another crack at Marshall, VCU, and Maryland - I think this team is significantly better than they were in Nov, and could've beat all 3 then.

Anyhoo, I'll take anywhere vs anyone, just go dancing! This team has just as much of a cinderella feel as any other candidates, def think these fellas can take some programs out... all depends on the matchups - get a good one, or a few, and you've got yourself a slipper!
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

https://thebracketguru.wordpress.com/ This guy has Hofstra as a 9. That would be something...
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HofstraHockey wrote:https://thebracketguru.wordpress.com/ This guy has Hofstra as a 9. That would be something...
Looks like it is based strictly on a computer formula. In the comments he says "Wofford and Hofstra are both 9-seeds, which baffles me, but I will trust the points system. Part of the problem lies within them getting easy wins and larger opponents getting tough losses."
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Speaking of 9 votes in the AP Poll where are our friends from Newsday? Are any of them voting? And even if not, they could have at least put something in the paper that we are receiving votes.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Speaking of 9 votes in the AP Poll where are our friends from Newsday? Are any of them voting? And even if not, they could have at least put something in the paper that we are receiving votes.
It's very frustrating to think about our local paper that should have our back but we know better based on their past performance. They always seem to get to the game late(or never)!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID74 wrote: Speaking of 9 votes in the AP Poll where are our friends from Newsday? Are any of them voting? And even if not, they could have at least put something in the paper that we are receiving votes.
The only AP Poll voters from in or near New York City are:

Jerry Carino from Gannett (Somerville, NJ which is along Interstate 287 going west (labeled 287 north after the Outerbridge Crossing)
Jon Rothstein from CBS Sports (New York City, NY)
Seth Davis from CBS-Sports Illustrated (New York City, NY)

None of the New York City papers or Newsday have a voter. I don't know how the voters are selected.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Wow, amazing that there are no NY papers represented. Thanks for the info Evan.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It's not near us, but New York has Donna Ditota from the Syracuse Post-Standard.
Wags

Post by Wags »

And those 9 votes are gone after losing at Northeastern. No surprise there. The attention was nice while it lasted though.

https://www.collegebasketball.ap.org/poll
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... asontype/2 has us with 6 points in the Coaches Poll, which is more than the 2 we had last week.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... asontype/2 has us with 6 points in the Coaches Poll, which is more than the 2 we had last week.
Seems like there's a lag among the coaches to catch up with what's going on with teams like Hofstra vs. the AP voting.

The coaches were on board with giving Hofstra those couple of votes only after the AP gave a vote for a couple of weeks. Now, they actually give four more votes after the Northeastern loss drops Hofstra out of the AP Others Receiving Votes section. Guess word doesn't travel fast among some of the coaches.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We also dropped two to #6 from 4 in the Mid Major Rankings. Not bad at all.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote:
EvanJ wrote: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... asontype/2 has us with 6 points in the Coaches Poll, which is more than the 2 we had last week.
Seems like there's a lag among the coaches to catch up with what's going on with teams like Hofstra vs. the AP voting.

The coaches were on board with giving Hofstra those couple of votes only after the AP gave a vote for a couple of weeks. Now, they actually give four more votes after the Northeastern loss drops Hofstra out of the AP Others Receiving Votes section. Guess word doesn't travel fast among some of the coaches.
Even if the Coaches lag at noticing mid-majors, I'm surprised there's a lag at voters in any poll dropping teams for losing. There are things that don't make sense if you compare polls. In the January 28 polls, Florida State entered the AP Poll and dropped out of the Coaches Poll.