Who's Going down to Charleston

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
budman

Who's Going down to Charleston

Post by budman »

Its time to plan your trip to beautiful Chareston SC March 9 thur 12. It will be the first time in all most 20 years we will be expected to win the Tournament. Now is the time Hofstra to show up and Support our team. I just booked my trip on Orbitz air fare and hotel for $430. The longer you wait to book the more it will cost you. Its my Birthday March 5 And expect to celebrate it with Hofstra winning the CAA Championshp. :D :D :D
Last edited by budman on Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
daHUPride

Re: Who's Going down the Charleston

Post by daHUPride »

budman wrote:Its time to plan your trip to beautiful Chareston SC March 2 thur 5. It will be the first time in all most 20 years we will be expected to win the Tournament. Now is the time Hofstra to show up and Support our team. I just booked my trip on Orbitz air fare and hotel for $460. The longer you wait to book the more it will cost you. Its my Birthday March 5 And expect to celebrate it with Hofstra winning the CAA Championshp. :D :D :D
That one I cant swing - an NCAA in the northeast is something I will try for.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I will make it my business to be there.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I might, haven’t decided yet, may want to save the vacation days for the NCAAT.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I am contemplating making it down to the championship game, all goes well. Can't do the whole weekend, but Tue night works for me. Would really love to have the chance to see them cut CAA nets live.

But same boat as far as determining how to do both that game and the NCAAT should all go as planned. That could be a bit more involved, so I'm prob still a couple of weeks away from figuring all this out lol.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

budman wrote: Its time to plan your trip to beautiful Chareston SC March 2 thur 5. It will be the first time in all most 20 years we will be expected to win the Tournament. Now is the time Hofstra to show up and Support our team. I just booked my trip on Orbitz air fare and hotel for $460. The longer you wait to book the more it will cost you. Its my Birthday March 5 And expect to celebrate it with Hofstra winning the CAA Championshp. :D :D :D
If you bought tickets for those days you messed up because it will be March 9 through 12. Nobody before me corrected you.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Late tourney this year. Didnt realize it was so late. Great to see people going down this year. I haven't been since Baltimore, but this is the year to go. Not sure what I am going to be able to swing, but I will try and make something work. Cant wait till its in DC next year.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wonder if HU sponsors a trip down for the tourney - more so for the student body - hopefully this is the year for it to be worth subsidizing such a trip.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra wrote: Late tourney this year. Didnt realize it was so late. Great to see people going down this year. I haven't been since Baltimore, but this is the year to go. Not sure what I am going to be able to swing, but I will try and make something work. Cant wait till its in DC next year.
March 12 will tie the latest CAA Final ever with the first Final on March 12, 1983. It will be a little earlier in D.C. because what days of the week Saturday through Tuesday will be. It will be March 7-10, 2020 (2 days earlier than 2019 because of a leap year); March 6-9, 2021, and March 5-8, 2018. It's not the CAA's decision. It's because of the NCAA Tournament schedule. The Final will always be the Tuesday 5 days before Selection Sunday (formerly the Monday 6 days before Selection Sunday). The Final won't ever be 12 days before Selection Sunday.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I think we need to get together at the Savoy and try to plan something - at least book the same hotel, decide if we're buying tickets through the school and if not pick an area to sit, etc.

My ideal trip would be:
Fly to Asheville on Friday, hit up some breweries
Rent a car and drive to Charleston on Sunday morning (game is at 12 PM if they are the 1 seed)
Fly out Weds from Charleston after celebrating Tuesday night
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

If you're talking about Asheville, NC, that's 3:51 away from the North Charleston Coliseum according to Google Maps.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

EvanJ wrote:If you're talking about Asheville, NC, that's 3:51 away from the North Charleston Coliseum according to Google Maps.
I can do it in less than 3 and a half. 7 AM departure!
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Do anyone think there will ever come a time where we don’t have the dumbest conference tournament schedule in the country? Hosting at campus sites would make so much more sense and travel wouldn’t even be much more than a normal week. But if we’re gonna have it at a terrible neutral site, can we get days off between games?
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:Do anyone think there will ever come a time where we don’t have the dumbest conference tournament schedule in the country? Hosting at campus sites would make so much more sense and travel wouldn’t even be much more than a normal week. But if we’re gonna have it at a terrible neutral site, can we get days off between games?
Games at campus sites sucks, and days off between games sucks, but yes we have a dumb conference tournament schedule compared to the Friday-Monday one we had in the past.

The problem is it's hard to take off 3 days of work, fly to Charleston, book a hotel for 2-3 nights, then get bounced on Sunday night. I hate the Tuesday night final in Charleston. If it was in D.C. like it is next year, at least I can drive back that night. That being said, this is a special team, and I'm on the fence.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I like having the higher-seeded team host the championship game on campus. It rewards the better team with home-court advantage.

The AE did that back in the day. The first couple of rounds were played one weekend at Delaware with the championship the following Saturday.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

A more realistic option would be just to fly in to Charleston Saturday or early Sunday (JetBlue flies direct) and hit up some of these spots:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/trav ... -beer.html

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:A more realistic option would be just to fly in to Charleston Saturday or early Sunday (JetBlue flies direct) and hit up some of these spots:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/trav ... -beer.html

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I'll drink to that lol. A good idea Cactus!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hof_Judge99 wrote: Do anyone think there will ever come a time where we don’t have the dumbest conference tournament schedule in the country? Hosting at campus sites would make so much more sense and travel wouldn’t even be much more than a normal week. But if we’re gonna have it at a terrible neutral site, can we get days off between games?
The CAA does it the same way as the top conferences. Only 6 of 32 conferences use campus sites. I like having the tournament as one unit rather than possibly playing in three places. The America East used to use a neutral site until the Final, but now they have every game have a home team. Having days off would make the players and fans be there longer. Some early season tournaments like the Charleston Classic we played in last season have you play two consecutive days, an off day, and then a third game. I would be okay with one off day before the Final, but not more than that. Using campus sites would make it more like the NFL playoffs, albeit playing every 3 days rather than every 7. There aren't any professional leagues that have a playoff or tournament playing consecutive days at one site. It makes NCAA sports unique. I am happy that it will be in D.C. the next three seasons because that is north of 5 teams and south of 5 teams.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

What hotel is everyone staying at? There seem to be a bunch less than a mile from the arena.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Looks like almost everything around there is sold out.

So I unfortunately can't swing the whole trip with work. But I took a gamble today on the team- I have a flight booked on the 12th at about 1:30 from JFK to Charleston, flying back at 6:00 the next morning. It was only $127 round trip, so what the hell. Hopefully my faith pays off.