Hofstra vs CoC 1/19/19

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: Hofstra vs CoC 1/19/19

Post by EvanJ »

Our lead is down to 49-45 as Charleston is on a 7-0 run, which included Riller scoring 4, including 2 free throws after a technical by JWF. We have only 5 fouls with 15:34 left.

Edit: Our lead went down to 1 three times but is up to 61-56. Buie finally scored 2. We have the ball with 9:32 left. There could be a lot of free throws because they have 7 in the half and we have 5. Taylor has 3 blocks. Riller leads all scorers with 22 and has made 9 of 12 field goals.

Edit: We went up 7, but now we lead 65-59 with 7:55 left and Charleston with the ball. Taylor committed our sixth foul, so neither team can commit a defensive foul that won't make free throws. Charleston has 9 fouls. Taylor had a 1-and-1 and made both. Pemberton has 21. JWF has 14 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists.
Wags

Post by Wags »

4th foul on Coburn at the 7:43 mark. Forces Joe to go small with Buie coming back in alongside JWF, Eli and Ray and at least still one big (Taylor, with 3 fouls) out there.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We tied our largest lead at 75-62, and we lead 77-66 with 3:47 left and Charleston having the ball. After we missed 2 of our first 3 free throws, we made our last 9 to reach 12 of 14. Pemberton shot our first 3, but has made 5 since to improve to 6 for 8. He leads all scorers with 23, and Riller has 22.

Edit: Ray missed a 3, but Pemberton got an offensive rebound and made a 3 to go up 80-68 with 2:23 left. It gave him a season-high 26, and 50 this week.
He passed Ted Jackson for 26th in career points. Hofstra called timeout, and Charleston still has 3 timeouts.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

This is getting fun now!
garyg

Post by garyg »

We gotta get Taylor that extra year !!!!!!!!!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

garyg wrote:We gotta get Taylor that extra year !!!!!!!!!

Best big we have ever had?
I say YES
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Huge win.

This team has some dawg in them. Very much enjoying the ride.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

What a great team win. Charleston had some runs but Hofstra always responded.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Pemberton and Coburn both got their first blocked shot. I wonder if Hofstra had ever had teammates get their first block of the season in the 20th game or later. JWF, Ray, and Taylor all shot great. Ray made 4 of 5 threes, and his +/- of +23 leads all CAA players, but 1 rebound and 3 steals are not enough contributions other than points to make my CAA team of the day. Through 4 of 5 games, I'm honoring Vasa Pusica, Pemberton, Nathan Knight, Tyler Seibring, and Stuckey Mosley. One or two of them could get knocked off by a Delaware or Towson player. Riller, Galloway, and Brantley all did well for Charleston, but in order for a player who lost to make my team of the day, he has to stand out as the best on his team.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Great win! We controlled this game for the most part. Eli was HUGE today on offense and defense. They looked like they were trying to get Taylor going early. Excellent team effort.

This has been a really fun ride. Pumped for this team!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Our free throw percentage is back above .800 after we made our last 11 to finish with 14 of 16 (.875). It rounds to .800, with a value of .80048 to more decimal places.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

This team is special. Us long time Hofstra guys know when we see it. I was the SID for the 76-77 teams who first went the the big dance and I was also around for Jay Wright's teams.
I have never seen a Hofstra team that has the chemistry of this team! They find very different ways to win but they win. Justin was awesome tonight feeding his teammates...Eli has been on a tear and Jaquil has been awesome taking on every big he sees.
Desire has quietly run this team and Ray off the bench should be sixth man of the year.

Enjoy the ride folks because this type of team only comes along once in awhile.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Just noticed this poll. Vote for Eli:

https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/statu ... 3474905091
Polito

Post by Polito »

AALLLLLLLLLLL ABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOARD!!!!!! CHOOOOOCHOOOOO!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SOLD. I'm all in folks. Super W tonight against a talented, albeit what looks like a team needing a leader. CofC reminds me of exactly what HU has been before, 1-2 studs, little else, and no true leader. Why Riller doesn't take more control is baffling - that kid can ball. Even with tight D pretty much money. But the difference in team chemistry is palpable.

HU finally has it all. Talent, depth, defense, and leadership. Killer instinct and some dog to boot. I'm with HUSID now that we've hit what I consider a big milestone in the season, this team is legit. I'm going to say I do believe this is the best HU team in the modern era. I think HU has had similarly talented starting lineups, but never the talent in depth, in particular never 5 CAA starting level guards on the same roster.

And damn we (as in all things HU) deserve it. Been a very, very, long time coming. I hope some 'cruits were there to witness - this is exciting, winning college hoops.

I LOVE what I see:
-Pemba realizing just how good he can really be - again, thank you JWF for leading him there - ever since that chat, kid has been fire.
-JWF again with a quite 19 and a strong stat line and you're still thinking, eh he was alright... lol that's how good this kid is.
-JT, I mean, I am beyond impressed at this point. This kid knows how to play the game, with the talent and size to do it - battling CofC bigs is no joke, he did with relative EASE. Get this kid another year - would be criminal to let him go without a fight!
-Buie, helluva general - best pure PG maybe ever for HU. Blessed to have him for 1 more!
-Coburn, quiet, but still hits big shots, and I think is still finding his way/place - next year should be a good one for him.
-And Ray, man o man do I like this kid (have from HS) - boy can hoop - deadly from 3, fearless attacking the basket, and ice in his veins.

The year of the DUTCH 8-) yes, the pressure is on, but I do believe they are up to the task - let's rock!

P.S. Now don't break my heart team!!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Don't usually see it break down so clear cut in a game like this, but there's good reason Joe called Jalen Ray the star of Saturday's game...

Look how these cancel each other out:

Riller 24 pts (and McManus 2) / Pemberton (26)
Brantley 19 / JWF 19
Galloway 16 / Taylor 16
Pointer 6 / Buie 6
Harris 5 / Coburn 5

That's a total of 72 / 72

The difference? Ray's 14 pts in a 14-point (86-72) win.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:AALLLLLLLLLLL ABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOARD!!!!!! CHOOOOOCHOOOOO!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SOLD. I'm all in folks. Super W tonight against a talented, albeit what looks like a team needing a leader. CofC reminds me of exactly what HU has been before, 1-2 studs, little else, and no true leader. Why Riller doesn't take more control is baffling - that kid can ball. Even with tight D pretty much money. But the difference in team chemistry is palpable.

HU finally has it all. Talent, depth, defense, and leadership. Killer instinct and some dog to boot. I'm with HUSID now that we've hit what I consider a big milestone in the season, this team is legit. I'm going to say I do believe this is the best HU team in the modern era. I think HU has had similarly talented starting lineups, but never the talent in depth, in particular never 5 CAA starting level guards on the same roster.

And damn we (as in all things HU) deserve it. Been a very, very, long time coming. I hope some 'cruits were there to witness - this is exciting, winning college hoops.

I LOVE what I see:
-Pemba realizing just how good he can really be - again, thank you JWF for leading him there - ever since that chat, kid has been fire.
-JWF again with a quite 19 and a strong stat line and you're still thinking, eh he was alright... lol that's how good this kid is.
-JT, I mean, I am beyond impressed at this point. This kid knows how to play the game, with the talent and size to do it - battling CofC bigs is no joke, he did with relative EASE. Get this kid another year - would be criminal to let him go without a fight!
-Buie, helluva general - best pure PG maybe ever for HU. Blessed to have him for 1 more!
-Coburn, quiet, but still hits big shots, and I think is still finding his way/place - next year should be a good one for him.
-And Ray, man o man do I like this kid (have from HS) - boy can hoop - deadly from 3, fearless attacking the basket, and ice in his veins.

The year of the DUTCH 8-) yes, the pressure is on, but I do believe they are up to the task - let's rock!

P.S. Now don't break my heart team!!!

JAM - a coach that is owning it - not running behind it - (it being = this teams sucess, streak and expectations) - to this guy I see an old coach has changed (sort of like NYG former coach Coughlin) - JAM isn’t 100% of the time yelling at refs; he seems comfortable with this team to let them work through the players midques.

I am enjoying this team as much as any - I hope the HU student body embraces this team and starts showing up and suppporting this team
garyg

Post by garyg »

Evan---

What was the average regular season home attendance for Jay Wright's final two seasons at Hofstra ??

What was the average regular season home attendance for Tom Pecora's first two seasons as head coach at Hofstra ??
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

garyg wrote: Evan---

What was the average regular season home attendance for Jay Wright's final two seasons at Hofstra ??

What was the average regular season home attendance for Tom Pecora's first two seasons as head coach at Hofstra ??
1999-2000 (Wright): 2,897
2000-2001 (Wright): 2,985
2001-2002 (Pecora): 2,555
2002-2003 (Pecora): 2,011

All of those are better than our current average of 1,720. We had very few out of conference home games then. We had 12, 11, 11, and 13 home games. Including Rosemont, we have 16 home games this season.

We have a better RPI than we had in 2015-2016, but we have work to do to be better than we were in 2005-2006. The 2015-2016 team had six Top 100 RPI wins and a much better schedule. We have three, which are Stony Brook, Northeastern, and Charleston. No other CAA team is going to move up to the Top 100.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Thanks Evan
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:This team is special. Us long time Hofstra guys know when we see it. I was the SID for the 76-77 teams who first went the the big dance and I was also around for Jay Wright's teams.
I have never seen a Hofstra team that has the chemistry of this team! They find very different ways to win but they win. Justin was awesome tonight feeding his teammates...Eli has been on a tear and Jaquil has been awesome taking on every big he sees.
Desire has quietly run this team and Ray off the bench should be sixth man of the year.

Enjoy the ride folks because this type of team only comes along once in awhile.
I couldn't agree with you more SID and I go back to the days when u were the SID here and I loved that team in 76-77. I still feel that Rich Laurel may have been the best that ever played here certainly in the conversation. JT is really playing well and adds a dimension to this club that was not here the past few years. He seems poised also at the FT line which is huge for us.We're not going to lose close games at the FT line anymore. But as far as JT being the best that's ever been here I would probably vote for John Irving who led the country in rebounding and was more of an offensive player then JT. But this team is all about chemistry and Justin seems to be content with getting whatever points he can as long as this team wins. Also of note was Desure shooting the tech. foul FT not Justin. Last year that was all Justin and of course this makes perfect sense.