MBB Recruits 2019

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: MBB Recruits 2019

Post by garyg »

triplec2195 wrote:
garyg wrote:If he does visit for Charleston game it is not going to look good with only 1600 people in attendance... new AD should do another pack the mack...
Gary you made the point three times and I get it Lol so will the students be back for that game against COC?? OTHERWISE YOUR POINT IS well taken.
Sorry, my computer locks up on me sometimes and messes up the sent messages....I do not believe students will be back in time for Charleston game
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

triplec2195 wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:I wish I could tell you his name but heard today he has an offer from UCF if that helps...he also may be coming for a visit for Charleston home game.
Tony Johnson Jr. - I'll be on the lookout for him at the Charleston game to confirm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH-3ZlnsakM
So is this the Tony Johnson JR that has 14 schools listed as recruiting him on VC none of which is HU and he's from Alabama?? I thought the kid we were referencing was from the Atlanta, Georgia area?
He plays at Skill Factory in Atlanta, so I would say that counts.

https://hoopseen.com/players/134/tony-johnson
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Johnson talks about going mid-major in this article, mentions UCF first as school that is recruiting him hard.

https://hoopseen.com/news/player/201901 ... ny-johnson

Hofstra has no offers on VC for any Georgia players, if SID is correct, which he usually is about this stuff, Johnson's probably the guy we're recruiting.

He's going to be a tough get for us, but our success with guards could sway him in our favor.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I believe hes the guy
Polito

Post by Polito »

Exactly my thoughts FD, same page.

Hey, like I said guys, not Edwards but would be a big time get if it were to happen, and if it is in fact him.

Some key points:

This young man transferred to from Eufaula, Alabama to The Skill Factory Prep, Georgia. He was top 5 in Alabama, top 50/100 nationally, and then then slipped in his play. He was humbled, and has worked his way back to being a major player. He is top 20 in Georgia, has some solid suiters, BUT has the character needed to consider HU. And he will be a stud wherever he ends up.

Key quote:
Although his recruitment is entering the high major space, Johnson isn't letting the level of play dictate his decision.

"I'm really just chasing whos going to let me be me, and who really needs me to most. Even if it's not high major, it could be mid-major because you can go to the league from anywhere nowadays and play professionally. I know a lot of kids that are ahead in the rankings, which don't matter, but if they choose the wrong school I'll pass them up if I make the right decision for me."
https://hoopseen.com/news/player/201901 ... ny-johnson

Make your magic happen Speedy!
RIP_HOFUSA

Post by RIP_HOFUSA »

garyg wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
garyg wrote:If he does visit for Charleston game it is not going to look good with only 1600 people in attendance... new AD should do another pack the mack...
Gary you made the point three times and I get it Lol so will the students be back for that game against COC?? OTHERWISE YOUR POINT IS well taken.
Sorry, my computer locks up on me sometimes and messes up the sent messages....I do not believe students will be back in time for Charleston game
I can confirm students will not be back for that game...I’m coming back early as an RA and I won’t be back for it! We have weird breaks at Hofstra
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

RIP_HOFUSA wrote:
garyg wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:[If he does visit for Charleston game it is not going to look good with only 1600 people in attendance... new AD should do another pack the mack

I can confirm students will not be back for that game...I’m coming back early as an RA and I won’t be back for it! We have weird breaks at Hofstra
Well that's not great news for basketball attendance but we still should be able to get 2,000 noisy fans in the Mack and I hope that when the opposing team goes to the foul line you can't hear a pin drop. I could never figure that out here. Why aren't we trying to intimidate the foul shooters from the other team??
Polito

Post by Polito »

If they can win until then, there better be 3500+ people in those stands for a team like that with the attention they'll have garnered against the previous conf champ - school needs to do whatever necessary to ensure it - whatever they did for the home opener, do that and more lol
Cards

Post by Cards »

I was not sure where best to raises this question, and I did not want to open a new topic:

Can anyone speak to the type of game that IK will bring to the team next year. I know he is listed as a 5, but is that correct for his skillset (and frankly what is it his skillset)? Has anyone seen him play or gone to practices to see him work? Given his size and the hoopla around his signing, I'm assuming his rebounding will be akin to that of Cacock from UNCW (not that he will supply the same numbers, although that would be nice :) ). But beyond rebounding, is he very mobile and athletic (sure appears to have the physique to be). And of course, what type of offensive game does he have? Is it a 10 ft and in, back to the basket type of game. Is there any type of mid range game (10-15 ft jumpers). Can he shoot free throws? Just wondering about all this. I know that IK will be our 5 next year, but if JT does get another year of eligibility, is there a possibility that IK could play some minutes at the 4 while JT is at the 5, or are there skillsets too similar such that htey would never be on the court at the same time? Appreciate any info.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

All I can tell you is that Joe has told me that Kante will be our 5 for the next three years...He is big strong and athletic...not a great shooter but his strength and athleticism will give us one of the top big guys in the CAA.

Nothing concrete, but I hear it will be very difficult and costly to get another year for Jacquil. Hofstra would need to bring on a lawyer and go through a lengthy appeal process.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:All I can tell you is that Joe has told me that Kante will be our 5 for the next three years...He is big strong and athletic...not a great shooter but his strength and athleticism will give us one of the top big guys in the CAA.

Nothing concrete, but I hear it will be very difficult and costly to get another year for Jacquil. Hofstra would need to bring on a lawyer and go through a lengthy appeal process.
That's a downer re JT since a lot of us were pinning our hopes on him coming back and we can all see how he's starting to develop and his game is evolving. As long as we have a guy like Justin around he creates so many double/triple teams leaving big guys like Taylor open for high percentage shots. I wish though that we can hit more of these open shots beyond the perimeter that Justin is creating. We have left a lot of three's there and also potential assists that Justin deserves.
If Taylor is not here next year we will be OK with Kante stepping in but would like to have an insurance policy backing him up. Who will that be KS possibly but please don't tell me Stafford I hope he starts to get more minutes at the 4 we should utilize his height and skill set.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Also hearing good things about Hughes. Don't forget he is just a baby, true freshman, and may ultimately grow to nearly 7 feet. Hughes can really shoot, even out to the three-point line and can jump too...a bit raw but hopefully ready for next year.

Additionally you never know what Joe will pull out of his hat...look at last year; he brought in Taylor, Dwyer, Kante and Hughes...some haul!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID74 wrote:Also hearing good things about Hughes. Don't forget he is just a baby, true freshman, and may ultimately grow to nearly 7 feet. Hughes can really shoot, even out to the three-point line and can jump too...a bit raw but hopefully ready for next year.

Additionally you never know what Joe will pull out of his hat...look at last year; he brought in Taylor, Dwyer, Kante and Hughes...some haul!
Great to hear that about hughes; seems like he might be bulking up a little too as he definitely seems to look a little bigger.

Agreed on who knows what Joe will get in this class; I am sure he will land another 5.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:All I can tell you is that Joe has told me that Kante will be our 5 for the next three years...He is big strong and athletic...not a great shooter but his strength and athleticism will give us one of the top big guys in the CAA.

That's a downer re JT since a lot of us were pinning our hopes on him coming back and we can all see how he's starting to develop and his game is evolving. As long as we have a guy like Justin around he create so many double/triple teams leaving big guys like Taylor open for high percentage shots. I wish though that we can hit more of these open shots beyond the perimeter that Justin is creating. We have left a lot of three's there and also potential assists that Justin deserves.
If Taylor is not here next year we will be OK with Kante stepping in but would like to have an insurance policy backing him up. Who will that be KS possibly but please don't tell me Stafford I hope he starts to get more minutes at the 4 we should utilize his height and skill set.
Would be really awesome if JT had another year - think he has a nice little pick and roll game working with DB.

That said - if IK has the skill set to do what HUSID74 says - I am ok with that too. Plus - with IK (3 years), ST (2 years), KS (3 years) and HH (4years) - we are OK for a while with our bigs' - I think that's a pretty decent pipeline - especially if JAM and the boys "pulls (another one) out of his hat".

I would love to see our staff develop these 4 bigs and give us recruiting cred with the big kids out there - i know we can sell that a good guard is going to play and get shots here. Although we dont have a large enough sample size - I don't think we've had great success in the development of our young bigmen recruit.

Since JAM been here our young (freshmen or sophomore) bigs (6'8" +) :

* The GOOD - Gustys a major get for us key man - played his best as pick and roll guy with JG)
* The JURY is STILL OUT - Truehart has athleticism and potential - needs to bulkup get more heart and better BB IQ, Schutte a project; Hughes
we'll see
* The BAD - Payne not JAM recruit, hold over from Mo - had some game, sort of like ST - transferred to UVt
* The UGLY - Walker almost nothing out him Ros probably a reach but still falls into the young big category
Cards

Post by Cards »

thanks HUSID - all good info.
I guess a second year for JT is still possible, but it looks more likely that he is a one and done. Hopefully we get to the dance and make his stay at HU a memorable one.
Great to hear about HH. As they say, you can't teach 6'9"+. I know just from warm-ups that the guy can shoot the long ball, and if he puts on a few more pounds he certainly could help out underneath. There is just a lot of potential for guys like this - hope it all pans out. I think of what most CAA teams thought of Jeremy Miller at NU when he first came in the league. People where wondering how you cover this guy who is 6'10", can shoot the three, and could have helped down low. Now in all fairness, Miller has had some injuries and really never developed into the impact guy he could have been, but I see potential for HH to be that kind of a guy. We shall see - got this year to get through first!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Kante is going to be a beast IMO. I will have zero concern about the CofC type bigs with him in the middle. Big strong athletic fella.

That said, I would LOVE for JT be back for 1 more - those 2 in the middle would make a huge difference. Different games, both center size and impact making. Would love for them to make the investment, but can certainly understand if it's not in the cards.

I will believe Hughes when I see it. Very skeptical of low level post guys from overseas that don't come from high pedigree programs in the states. Great that he's 6'9 and can shoot, will stretch the D, BUT can he actually play the post position?? Can he play D? Rebound? Never seen it, and I have a lot of doubt that he has the size, physicality, or skill set to play D1 center in the CAA. We'll see - happy to be wrong.

Either way, my hope is HU brings in another true big that can bring quicker value. We really don't need anymore projects at this point quite frankly.

Would love to get a PG update too... wonder if any of us are right on our guesses?!? Let's all be on the lookout on Sat for visitors...
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

What I don’t understand is why Hofstra it seems is not fully committed to getting Taylor a sixth year. They say it would be too costly and involve lawyers and suing the NCAA. For Christ sakes we have a law school. Just get it done. Dion Nesmith had to do the same and he and his parents made it happen. I’m tired of the NCAA treating Hofstra like a step child
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:What I don’t understand is why Hofstra it seems is not fully committed to getting Taylor a sixth year. They say it would be too costly and involve lawyers and suing the NCAA. For Christ sakes we have a law school. Just get it done. Dion Nesmith had to do the same and he and his parents made it happen. I’m tired of the NCAA treating Hofstra like a step child
I was thinking the same thing Stu about the lawyers. I'm sure we have a few on retainer!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

How about President Rabinowitz? Wasn't he the DEAN of the LAW SCHOOL? He could be put on retainer.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The Shadow wrote:How about President Rabinowitz? Wasn't he the DEAN of the LAW SCHOOL? He could be put on retainer.
Be nice if showed up for a game!