Other Fall Sports

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: Other Fall Sports

Post by stuball888 »

Don't look now but I see us and JMU competing for 5 CAA titles this year. Looks like we now have a true rival in the CAA.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I don't think i've ever seen Simon get choked up like this. Let's hope we can keep him around for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=methqLMYJeU
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Don't look now but I see us and JMU competing for 5 CAA titles this year. Looks like we now have a true rival in the CAA.
What sports other than Women's Soccer and Softball?

The Selection Show will be online Monday at 4:30 P.M.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

ProudofPride wrote:I don't think i've ever seen Simon get choked up like this. Let's hope we can keep him around for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=methqLMYJeU
He was probably thinking of the death of Madeline Anderson's sister earlier this year.
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

EvanJ wrote:
stuball888 wrote: Don't look now but I see us and JMU competing for 5 CAA titles this year. Looks like we now have a true rival in the CAA.
What sports other than Women's Soccer and Softball?

The Selection Show will be online Monday at 4:30 P.M.
hu > jmu
beat them for womens soccer title
beat them in f hockey
split with them in vball

good programs. im happy with what we got.

great day for HU today. congrats to womens soccer. simon is a STAR. we are lucky to have him.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Also this could be the year we play JMU for the CAA championship in women’s lax
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Volleyball we are one and two. Also speaking to John Russo. We could surprise people in baseball this spring
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I was just the first person to like the YouTube highlights from CAASports of the Women's Soccer win. It shows how few fans CAA teams have.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Amazing accomplishment winning back-to-back CAA titles. Just adds to the legacy of Simon, who is far and away best current coach on campus.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

there are others who can compete with Simon. Not taking anything away from him. Emily Mansur comes to mind.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Emily would probably be second right now and one day she may be there with Simon but not yet since only here a short time in comparison. Now four CAA titles and six NCAA Tourney appearances for Simon including three times reaching second round. Also only twice have failed to reach CAAs, his first year in 2006 when about half his starting lineup was out, and 2016 when they lost first four games (all on road) and then won 4 of last 5 and just missed out.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I realize he didn't do it at Hofstra, but Jay Miller's resume blows away pretty much everyone.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Based on the RPI, Hofstra got a good draw. Each region has seeds from 1 to 4 and 12 teams without numbers. Hofstra goes to 4 seed Boston College and plays Friday at 7:00 P.M. Boston College is 19th in a poll, 25th in the RPI, and only 3-3-1 away, so they're a weak 4 seed. They would be a 7 seed if all teams were seeded using the RPI. Their only out of conference away games were at Northeastern and Boston University. They won their first 11 home games, with 6 out of conference and 5 in the ACC, before getting their first home loss hosting Clemson in the 4 vs. 5 game of the ACC Tournament. Hofstra is 63rd in the RPI. If Hofstra wins, they will face Memphis or Wisconsin. https://gohofstra.com/news/2018/11/5/wo ... ?path=wsoc is titled "WSOC: Hofstra To Face Boston College In NCAA First Round." It mistakenly says we beat James Madison 2-1. https://bceagles.com/news/2018/11/5/wom ... round.aspx is titled "Hofstra Up Next For Eagles In NCAA First Round." It says the game will be on ACC Network Extra, which might be online for free.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HofstraHockey wrote:I realize he didn't do it at Hofstra, but Jay Miller's resume blows away pretty much everyone.
Good point. I was referring to Hofstra resumes, but overall resumes Jay would be number one no doubt.
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

Kudos to Simon and the team. Thank you Evan for the analysis, stats and links. There have been occasions when I felt some of your stats were on the quirky side and not all that useful but I have increasingly come to appreciate them. Not sure if my standards are declining or the stats are becoming increasingly relevant. Seriously it is amazing how much stuff you seem able to put out so quickly. You keep us honest and are our most informed poster. Your take on the numbers is logical. I only wish it were true. The ACC is the nations premier soccer conference and BC is 11+1 at home where we will play them. We don't exactly have a storied history with BC either but I give that little weight. It is a significant challenge but it's what we play for. Go Pride.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It's not that my stats are getting more relevant. It's that some are more relevant than others, and you don't know in advance, just like you don't know which day next week you will be happiest. There are lots of things that I want to find out that it isn't possible to search for. If I had a million dollars I would pay people to look for things in box scores. I'm talking about sports in general including professional sports, not just Hofstra. If you like my stats you can read https://twitter.com/evanj3535
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Talking about JMU they are now 12-3 in volleyball justclike us. We are tied with JMU for first place We are peaking at the right time with 6 wins in a row. Justin if we tie with JMU who gets the number one seed in the CAA tournament
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Per Stephen Gorchov, if we win, we’re #1. https://mobile.twitter.com/StephenGorch ... 5180914688
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The tiebreakers are head-to-head record and then sets. We beat JMU 3-1 and lost 3-2, so we have the tiebreaker. I'm happy that the Weekly Report lists the tiebreakers, and I'm hoping the CAA does that for Men's Basketball also. I decided to see what would happen if the Men's Basketball tiebreakers were used for Volleyball where it would be record against the third place team, then fourth, and so on. If Hofstra and JMU win their last game, they will have the same record against every CAA team. After that, the Men's Basketball tiebreaker is RPI, which JMU has a big lead over us in Volleyball. I wonder how many times in CAA history there has been a tie for first where the team that lost the tiebreaker would have won a tiebreaker the CAA used for another sport.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Men’s soccer team beats #21 UNCW and advances to the CAA championship game. Congrats to Richard his staff and the entire team