Justin Wright-Foreman declaring for the NBA?

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Captain

Re: Justin Wright-Foreman declaring for the NBA?

Post by Captain »

I think he is merely testing the NBA interest. However this kind of explains the HU concern regarding his future with the program as they have continued to offer guards despite the fact that they have Buie, Wormley, Pemberton, Jalen Ray and tareq Coburn. JWF makes 7 returning guards.
If all guards return including JWF, new guards might be redshirts. If JWF bolts, new guards might not redshirt. I guess the coach has to anticipate the loss and have new players in the pipeline.
Note to JWF; Charles Jenkins spent 5 years in the program, had his number retired on senior day and had a shot in the NBA. He is still being paid well in Europe. If the NBA does not beckon, play your senior year at HU and possibly go down as great or greater player as CJ and Speedy were for Hofstra.
Regardless, thanks for entertaining us so well these last 2 seasons and continued success wherever you are!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Per the article in today's Newsday Justin is quoted as saying " He will happily return to Hofstra if the NBA situation is not right". He says " If I come back to school I'm going to be a better player then I was by receiving feedback from all the NBA teams that have tried to bring me into the workout". OK from the horses mouth sort of speak. More then likely we haven't seen the last of Justin in a Hofstra uniform. Amen!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Do you hear that collective sigh of relief from Hofstra fans
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yeah, great to read, and really it did feel more like a test and strategy to gain key feedback and attention for NEXT year than anything else.

If that is the true reason, then it's a smart move and I'm all for it.

And if JWF really wants to make his pro-stock legit, he needs to lead this team to a real post-season. Get bounced in their first game of the CAAT for the 3rd year in a row, and the attention will dwindle dramatically as others rise and take the hype via their conf champ games, the NIT, and the NCAAT.
G24

Post by G24 »

Looks like Justin will be right back where he belongs in the fall: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjK0ypVFzxr/

He says he'll be withdrawing from the NBA Draft and will return to Hofstra for his senior day.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Didn't really think he would go NBA this year, but there certainly was the possibility that he went Euro. In any case, breathing somewhat of a sigh of relief.

Assuming he plays well this season, he will still have a shot at some level of pro ball next year. I would like to see him get his degree also - can't play hoops forever!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Agree Cards, Hofstra is the "Wright" place for him this coming year...Win 2nd POY and his pro chances will be enhanced wherever he goes.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Not a shocker but great news nevertheless for Hofstra! Bring it Justin and lets win the Colonial this year!
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

crazy to think we are the favorite next season?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Yes, crazy. :)
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Without seeing the new big and without depth behind him, I'd put them at 2 behind Northeastern.
But if he's a solid player, the league is terrible this year and with good health something like 23-24 wins is not out of the question.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I think we still need another solid big to be a strong contender for the League Championship. The Purdue kid could be a game changer if he stays healthy but that is a big question along with Shutte, who is a big question mark. I think Hughes is at least a year away as well and Trueheart is more of a stretch 3 than a four.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:I think we still need another solid big to be a strong contender for the League Championship. The Purdue kid could be a game changer if he stays healthy but that is a big question along with Shutte, who is a big question mark. I think Hughes is at least a year away as well and Trueheart is more of a stretch 3 than a four.

Yep, I agree HUSID. I don't think he even needs to be a true Center, but at least a strong PF that could spend 10 minutes per game in the paint, if needed. But he has to be someone with some "real size". Cant be a 6'8" guy like ST, nor can it be a 240 lb guy like Angus. One is too light, and the other is too short. 6'8", around 225 with all around skills might be OK - must be a million of these types available :lol:

Of course, I would love to land a stud who could split time with Taylor, but I don know its thats even remotely possible. One thing that I worry about with KS is his weight. He's listed at 6'9" (which is fine) but for a guy to bang in the 5 spot, he's actually a little light (listed at 215). I hope he's packing on another 10 -15 pounds this offseason.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Gustys, Angus III, and Sabety combined for 22.0% of our points and 51.8% of our rebounds excluding team rebounds. To compare, in 2006-2007 we were picked first and struggled in the frontcourt after Kieza and Uter graduated. Stokes led us with 5.6 rebounds per game. Kieza, Uter, and Kenny Harris (who had 6 points and 10 rebounds) had 26.7% of our points and 44.0% of our rebounds in 2005-2006 excluding team rebounds.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cards wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:I think we still need another solid big to be a strong contender for the League Championship. The Purdue kid could be a game changer if he stays healthy but that is a big question along with Shutte, who is a big question mark. I think Hughes is at least a year away as well and Trueheart is more of a stretch 3 than a four.

Yep, I agree HUSID. I don't think he even needs to be a true Center, but at least a strong PF that could spend 10 minutes per game in the paint, if needed. But he has to be someone with some "real size". Cant be a 6'8" guy like ST, nor can it be a 240 lb guy like Angus. One is too light, and the other is too short. 6'8", around 225 with all around skills might be OK - must be a million of these types available :lol:

Of course, I would love to land a stud who could split time with Taylor, but I don know its thats even remotely possible. One thing that I worry about with KS is his weight. He's listed at 6'9" (which is fine) but for a guy to bang in the 5 spot, he's actually a little light (listed at 215). I hope he's packing on another 10 -15 pounds this offseason.
I have heard that Schutte has added significant bulk and muscle. Many say he will fill the Sabety role nicely...if that's the case we may be better than we all think.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I will believe when I see it translated on the court.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

cactus wrote:Without seeing the new big and without depth behind him, I'd put them at 2 behind Northeastern.
But if he's a solid player, the league is terrible this year and with good health something like 23-24 wins is not out of the question.
I think the CAA is strong next season, JMU, UNCW and Drexel should be on the upswing, Charleston is still strong, and Northeastern will probably be preseason #1. Towson, UD, and Elon will probably be duds, but that's kind of good for the league, because it gives the top teams a better chance to have a dominant record. I honestly think the league has an outside shot at an at-large NCAA bid, or at least our best chance since VCU/ODU/GMU left.

With that being said, I think we come in as preseason #3. I think NU and CoC get the nod ahead of us in that order. JWF coming back is obviously huge, but I really want to see how the new players (Schutte, Taylor, Coburn) help us improve on the defensive side of the ball. If we can simplify the defensive sets and play more man to man with the new size/athleticism, we have a good chance to get over the top next year. I'm ridiculously excited for next season!!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Drexel lost their best player to transfer. JMU and UNCW look to be mid-pack teams at best. Charleston graduated a star player. The bottom teams you mentioned were ravaged by transfers and are going to have very tough years.

The CAA is not a terrible overall league, but it's terrible compared to what it used to be, when they did get multiple bids. The only chance someone in the CAA gets an at large bid next year is if they win 30 games and lose by 1 in triple overtime in the conference tourney final.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Cactus, So maybe new AD Cole should be considering a conference change. The present locations of about half the CAA members does not really make sense for HU without a football team. I would like to see HU, along with NU and DU, change their conference to one more in line with their present academic and athletic asperations. I hope new AD Cole is starting the evaluations of the HU athletic department.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

The Shadow wrote:Cactus, So maybe new AD Cole should be considering a conference change. The present locations of about half the CAA members does not really make sense for HU without a football team. I would like to see HU, along with NU and DU, change their conference to one more in line with their present academic and athletic asperations. I hope new AD Cole is starting the evaluations of the HU athletic department.
Well, at this point it makes some sense for basketball. Just not for any of the other sports.