Hofstra softball 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraHockey

Re: Hofstra softball 2018

Post by HofstraHockey »

Been a weird game. Cornell only made it through 1 inning, giving up a three run home run.

Odicci had a collision with her third baseman on a bunt, and she went down Faced one more batter (who she walked) and was taken out. She wasn't pitching well up until that point (Hofstra had a tough time with her two weeks ago, not so much today). I am not one to speculate about injuries, but there was definitely a potential for a concussion.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Hofstra wins 9-6, sending JMU into the losers bracket, and the Hof ladies move into the championship game tomorrow. Whoever comes out of the next two games tonight (which now are going to end about as early as 9:00 tonight) will have to beat Hofstra twice tomorrow. Huge win for them.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Going back to the talk about defense from a while back- Hofstra didn't make an error, while JMU made 3.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

In order Pitching fielding and timely hitting wins championships
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Dandola should start again. Her drop pitch is more effective against JMU than Cornell’s rise ball
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I agree, although she still gave up 4 runs in 6 innings. Good on Larissa for having the quick hook, two days after Cornell is named CAA pitcher of the year.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I wonder how often the CAA Pitcher of the Year doesn't lead her team in ERA.

http://gohofstra.com/news/2018/5/10/sof ... nship.aspx is Hofstra's recap titled "SB: Hofstra Advances To CAA Championship."

https://jmusports.com/news/2018/5/10/so ... nship.aspx is James Madison's recap titled "Dukes Downed by Hofstra in CAA Championship."

http://caasports.com/news/2018/5/10/sof ... ame-5.aspx is the CAA's recap titled "Hofstra Upsets Top-Seeded JMU, Earns 14th Title Game Appearance."

http://gohofstra.com/boxscore.aspx?id=8 ... h=softball is the box score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSt9j9tFf4c has highlights.

In Game 6, 5 seed College of Charleston beat 4 seed UNC Wilmington 4-0. James Madison has only been shut out twice, and it was in consecutive games with College of Charleston winning 1-0 and Marshall winning 7-0. James Madison's two CAA losses were to College of Charleston and UNC Wilmington.

College of Charleston vs. James Madison is in the first inning.

The CAA Final (I'm hoping both games if Game 9 is necessary) will be on CollegeSportsLive.com
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra's win was on the ESPNU Bottom Line because James Madison was ranked.

James Madison leads Charleston 14-0 after 1 inning! James Madison hit 4 home runs. Charleston's starter left before getting an out and returned in the inning. Charleston had 2 pitchers allow 7 runs in the same inning. James Madison had 8 hits, 3 walks, and 3 hit by pitches, and they all scored. Gordon of James Madison had a home run, double, 2 hits, 2 runs, and 4 RBI in the inning. In their two first innings today, James Madison batted for 105 pitches! I wonder if any team in any conference had scored 14 in the first inning of a conference tournament game before and if any team has done that without winning the tournament. James Madison has scored double-digits in 11 of their 52 completed games with a season-high of 15.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Dandola is getting the start today.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HU up 6-1 -- top of the 6th. 6 more outs to get with a 4 run cushion. Looking good!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Pride goes 3-0 to win CAA Championship and auto bid to NCAAs. Congratulations!
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Make it scary (tying run was at the plate with one out for JMU), but a little adversity is good. Cornell came on late to get the save.

Cornell, Allocca, and Edwards named to the all-tournament team, and the most outstanding player goes to Dandola, who picked up both wins over JMU.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

AWESOME WIN! Huge congrats to the team. Well deserved, after an outstanding season.

This message board is predominantly basketball talk (understandable), but I feel this team does not get enough praise. The historical dominance by Bill Edwards as a Long Island team was of course commendable beyond words, but Anderson's upkeep of the team has been phenomenal. After a retirement of a legend like Edwards, it's comforting to see Anderson keep up the legacy. Great work coach, and congrats to the team!

Now, time to get it done in the tourney!
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I hope they end up in a reasonable regional. Going out to UCLA or something would be bad.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Astounding stat that Coach Anderson pointed out in the post game presser - every Hofstra softball player since 1989 has won at least 1 championship.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HofstraHockey wrote:I hope they end up in a reasonable regional. Going out to UCLA or something would be bad.
Don't count on it. When they beat JMU twice in 2015 to win the conference, they were sent to #1 Florida for regionals. Florida is a lot better than UCLA in terms of travel, but it has to make sense for travel and the opponent.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ProudofPride wrote:
HofstraHockey wrote: I hope they end up in a reasonable regional. Going out to UCLA or something would be bad.
Don't count on it. When they beat JMU twice in 2015 to win the conference, they were sent to #1 Florida for regionals. Florida is a lot better than UCLA in terms of travel, but it has to make sense for travel and the opponent.
Most regionals will be in the south. In general expect to go to Florida, Texas, or California most of the time.

You can watch at http://www.collegesportslive.com/?media=575324 if you didn't watch live.

Cornell got her first career save in her fifth career relief appearance.

Statistics have a SHO/CBO column. SHO means shutouts. What does CBO mean?

It was the twelfth consecutive year that at least one of Hofstra or James Madison had 3 or fewer CAA regular season losses.

In the last five CAA Tournaments, James Madison has gone undefeated three times and lost twice to Hofstra two times.

The Selection Show is Sunday at 10:00 P.M. on ESPN2.

I tweeted at https://twitter.com/EvanJ3535
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

This program is by far our more consistent winner. It sets the example for all of our other programs. No matter where they go in the NCAAs they will do us Proud! Go Pride!
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

It's not so much the actual location I care about, but who the opponent is. Playing #16 Michigan is very different than #1 UCLA.