MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraMathew

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by HofstraMathew »

I wouldn't expect any Guard or SF to sign with us; so don't be surprised when they commit somewhere else. We have basically no playing time for anyone at those positions for at least a year.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

At this point, how good will any player be who we sign?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Jojo as I said before Rok signed in May. And he was out of high school we need either grad transfer or JUCO who can play right away. If we hit the summer July4th and we don’t sign anyone. Then is the time to worry
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:At this point, how good will any player be who we sign?
I don't know how u can say that lots of really talented players out there and leaving their schools for greener pastures or whatever reasons as we speak. A lot of H.S. players as well non-committed. I just hope we don't sign any kids out of desperation considering we only need a couple of players we should be selecting not settling. I expect results real soon being the eternal optimist!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
daHUPride wrote:MAN!
I know we can't get everyone - but we got to get someone!
GEEZ!
Realistically we need two players and they both need to be big. You can make a case for a PG but we need a 4 who has a perimeter game and a 5 who can rebound block shots etc. There r 526 transfers currently on V/C albeit some of these have already committed but a ton that haven't. Come on HU!
RIGHT.
But those transfers - most of them - need to sit a year. We need players that can play now - so, my opinion, our best bet is a JuCo.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
daHUPride wrote:MAN!
I know we can't get everyone - but we got to get someone!
GEEZ!
Realistically we need two players and they both need to be big. You can make a case for a PG but we need a 4 who has a perimeter game and a 5 who can rebound block shots etc. There r 526 transfers currently on V/C albeit some of these have already committed but a ton that haven't. Come on HU!
RIGHT.
But those transfers - most of them - need to sit a year. We need players that can play now - so, my opinion, our best bet is a JuCo.
Most but not all. There r a fair number of graduate student transfers out there and other kids who will be eligible right away when the NCAA rules change in June as expected re transfer requirements.
Cards

Post by Cards »

So as of this morning, listed on the transfer list, there are 6 center transfers who are immediate eligible and have not already been scoffed up. There are 25 PF transfers immediately eligible. Considering some of these guys are out of reach, would not play in NY, HU would not want them, etc., there really are not that many guys out there.

Regarding JUCO bigs, about 2 weeks ago the vast majority of the guys listed on the top 50 JUCO bigs list were already committed. At the time, 1 or 2 of the guys HU had targeted were on that list - they are now committed elsewhere.

Not sure about how the transfer list will change in June - can you transfer and play right away if your coach leaves the program? Are there other conditions?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:So as of this morning, listed on the transfer list, there are 6 center transfers who are immediate eligible and have not already been scoffed up. There are 25 PF transfers immediately eligible. Considering some of these guys are out of reach, would not play in NY, HU would not want them, etc., there really are not that many guys out there.

Regarding JUCO bigs, about 2 weeks ago the vast majority of the guys listed on the top 50 JUCO bigs list were already committed. At the time, 1 or 2 of the guys HU had targeted were on that list - they are now committed elsewhere.

Not sure about how the transfer list will change in June - can you transfer and play right away if your coach leaves the program? Are there other conditions?
From everything I have read you need to maintain a certain GPA and the rules stretch from coaches leaving to programs that are being disciplined for NCAA violations etc.
Since somebody brought up Justyn Mutts in this thread here's the skinny on hIm per ESPN; 5th rated player coming out of New Jersey. Justyn Mutts PF Millville, NJ Saint Augustine Prep 6'7'' 215 77 score a 3 star player. Per ESPN Mutts is an athletic four-man with broad shoulders, long arms and a high motor. He's extremely mobile, with great agility and fluidity for his size, that allows him to fly around the court. He gets all over the glass on both ends and is also a very valuable, ............. I don't know if we're again pursuing him but there are a lot of schools showing interest!
BringBackFootball

Post by BringBackFootball »

Thread is 3 years old. Been offering to 2018 kids since may of 2015.... Thread is 32 pages long,...... Have we signed anyone yet for this class? If so, who?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

BringBackFootball wrote:Thread is 3 years old. Been offering to 2018 kids since may of 2015.... Thread is 32 pages long,...... Have we signed anyone yet for this class? If so, who?
6-10 Australian PF Hal Hughes
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

At least the coach got an extension by the AD who is leaving. New AD has not started as yet?
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

It was the decision by both of them
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To bobe13, I believe it was announced a few weeks ago that the Cole start date was Monday May 21st. I would guess the new AD would be attending the Lacrosse Quarterfinals on Saturday May 19th to observe how the operation is handled by the HU staff.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

HUSID74 wrote:It was the decision by both of them
Sure, it was Rabinowitz decision.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

The Shadow wrote:To bobe13, I believe it was announced a few weeks ago that the Cole start date was Monday May 21st. I would guess the new AD would be attending the Lacrosse Quarterfinals on Saturday May 19th to observe how the operation is handled by the HU staff.
Old AD was a lame duck awaiting his dismissal ( yes I said dismissal), new AD did not have a choice.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

bobe13 wrote:
The Shadow wrote:To bobe13, I believe it was announced a few weeks ago that the Cole start date was Monday May 21st. I would guess the new AD would be attending the Lacrosse Quarterfinals on Saturday May 19th to observe how the operation is handled by the HU staff.
Old AD was a lame duck awaiting his dismissal ( yes I said dismissal), new AD did not have a choice.
This is a thread on player recruits not coaches or AD's

http://www.flyingdutchmenfans.com/viewt ... f=2&t=1611

That is the thread about the new AD

http://www.flyingdutchmenfans.com/viewt ... f=2&t=1619

That is the thread about JM's extension
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Agreed, the talk of the AD does not belong here. Let me put a bow on it by saying I have on pretty good authority that Hathaway got on very well with Rabinowitz (and Mihalich) and the fact he was forced out is nonsense.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Joey that is way off. Stu brought Jeff in to raise money and it didn't happen. He took away fund raising from the athletic dept two years ago and that was the end of Jeff's tenure as far as Stu was concerned.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUSID74 wrote:Joey that is way off. Stu brought Jeff in to raise money and it didn't happen. He took away fund raising from the athletic dept two years ago and that was the end of Jeff's tenure as far as Stu was concerned.
Could not be further from the truth. Utterly ridiculous.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

joeg1 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Joey that is way off. Stu brought Jeff in to raise money and it didn't happen. He took away fund raising from the athletic dept two years ago and that was the end of Jeff's tenure as far as Stu was concerned.
Could not be further from the truth. Utterly ridiculous.

That IS The truth.