Joe Extended? WTF

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: Joe Extended? WTF

Post by Cards »

stuball888 wrote:Listen carefully what I said is don’t expect things to change in athletics as long as Rabinowitz is president FACt Hathaway interviews for the StJohns position. You don’t do that unless you are not happy where you are. He quit as did the AD before him. Both while they had time left on their contract Now maybe I just may be wrong but I will not hold my breath.
Stu - Interesting details (regarding contracts, etc.). With that info in mind, what you infer makes perfect sense -- unfortunately :(
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Jack Hayes, who is FROM Providence, took the job at Brown. Can't imagine why he would do something like that!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Having a coach go into their walk year erodes credibility, and is generally seen as a vote of no confidence. Extensions are common practice, even when it would seem to make more sense to wait and see. Now that the sting of the postseason has subsided some, I must admit we can do worse than Joe, and I would much rather have a planned succession in place (Speedy?) for when he retires.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

JackHayes going to Brown was only a slight upgrade in athletics not because. Brown was better inall sports. It was the budget Brown gave him overall yes he is closer to his hometown but he left with two years left on his contract as did Jeff Hathaway. Also I believe he left for LESS MONEY. What does that tell you
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Joe here is my concern. With JAM getting the extension where does that leave Speedy. Does he wAnt to wait another 4 or5 years. If so you risk losing him to another local school. Maybe JAM and Rabinowitz feel Speedy is not ready to be a head coach. Who knows?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Joe here is my concern. With JAM getting the extension where does that leave Speedy. Does he wAnt to wait another 4 or5 years. If so you risk losing him to another local school. Maybe JAM and Rabinowitz feel Speedy is not ready to be a head coach. Who knows?
Most of us Stu love Speedy as a player for obvious reasons but food for thought we don't know how he would be as a head coach? Maybe more importantly does he even want to be a head coach? He has money and maybe he's happy being an assistant coach and a recruiter! If it wasn't for his recruiting we wouldn't have signed JWF and for that matter Desure and we don't know how many other recruits he was instrumental in getting! We really shouldn't assume anything.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

stuball888 wrote:JackHayes going to Brown was only a slight upgrade in athletics not because. Brown was better inall sports. It was the budget Brown gave him overall yes he is closer to his hometown but he left with two years left on his contract as did Jeff Hathaway. Also I believe he left for LESS MONEY. What does that tell you
It tells me exactly what I said- he wanted to go back to Providence, where he grew up and went to school. He could have moved along from there since then if he was interested in better opportunities. PC (or UConn, perhaps) I would think would be the only upgrades he'd take, aside from some huge school making him an offer, which I would think is unlikely.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Here's the official word from Hofstra. But no info. on the terms (didn't expect them to disclose the salary since they never do, but not even the length mentioned). Would be nice to know how long he's been extended for.

http://gohofstra.com/news/2018/4/17/men ... nsion.aspx
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Wags I agree. Don’t need to know what JAM makes but I think it’s ok to reveal how long the extension was for. Why all the cloak and dagger stuff
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

"Hofstra men’s basketball coach Joe Mihalich has signed a contract extension that athletic director Jeff Hathaway said will give the program “stability for many years to come.’’ Mihalich originally signed a six-year deal beginning with the 2014-15 season."

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... 1.18115424

Ugh.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:"Hofstra men’s basketball coach Joe Mihalich has signed a contract extension that athletic director Jeff Hathaway said will give the program “stability for many years to come.’’ Mihalich originally signed a six-year deal beginning with the 2014-15 season."

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... 1.18115424

Ugh.
So, Marcus has that wrong, it seems. That's technically not his original deal, since his first year at Hofstra was the year prior (2013-14). That would then be a six-year extension starting in his second year at Hofstra. That would take him through two more years (through 2019-20) before this new extension kicks in beyond that. And, I guess even Newsday doesn't know how long the new extension is for. I don't understand why they wouldn't release that info. especially both with the current AD and the new AD being involved in the negotiation process. I would think Cole, about to start in his new role, would want some transparency with these types of things.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Hathaway, a lame duck, should have left the decision to retain or replace Coach Mihalich to Cole.

Personally, I like JAM, but I think he's nearing or has reached the point in his career to step aside. If JAM had won one or two CAA championships, I could see the rationale behind extending his contract, but he has not, and I don't think 2019 is going to be the year.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Cole is now in a tough spot. He has JAM till who knows when. I do t see Hofstra or Rabinowitz buying him out of his contract if things go south. For JAM it’s a great deal. I guess if he keeps the program clean and his players graduate. Then it will please Rabinowitz
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Jojogunne wrote:Hathaway, a lame duck, should have left the decision to retain or replace Coach Mihalich to Cole.

Personally, I like JAM, but I think he's nearing or has reached the point in his career to step aside. If JAM had won one or two CAA championships, I could see the rationale behind extending his contract, but he has not, and I don't think 2019 is going to be the year.
I totally agree.