Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Game 24, home vs. Charleston

Post by triplec2195 »

This is like a very long run on sentence!! Lol
Cards

Post by Cards »

Just to be clear - DB is a basketball soph will have another year post JWF. The year we lose JWF we also lose KW.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I'll lay off when he wins. If you are content with being just not good enough (and they are his players), Joe is your guy. I've had enough non-championship 20 win seasons. Let Buie run the team and play man, and let the chips fall where they may. I have more faith in that than coach's half baked schemes.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:Just to be clear - DB is a basketball soph will have another year post JWF. The year we lose JWF we also lose KW.
I know he was out last year but he did play in 8 games so what's the defining rule when it comes to eligibility??
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
Cards wrote:Just to be clear - DB is a basketball soph will have another year post JWF. The year we lose JWF we also lose KW.
I know he was out last year but he did play in 8 games so what's the defining rule when it comes to eligibility??
I believe they have to have played in less than 30% of the games.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ProudofPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
OK then he meets that criteria! They played 32 games 32x.30= 9.6 games
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

triplec2195 wrote:
ProudofPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: I know he was out last year but he did play in 8 games so what's the defining rule when it comes to eligibility??
OK then he meets that criteria! They played 32 games 32x.30= 9.6 games
Buie had a medical redshirt last yr. Has 2 more full yrs of eligibility remaining

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Buie is definitely getting an extra year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yes, Buie is with HU for 1 yr longer than JWF. Great situation for HU.

Agree fully triplec that this team isn't as talented as Green's Sr yr - right on the money that starting 5 was better than this one, although as you noted this years squad has MUCH better depth.

But you are also not accounting for the fact that the CAA this year is MUCH easier than the CAA during Green's final year. It cracks me up that people want to keep claiming how brutal the league is this year... it isn't. Yes, it has a lot of parity among the remaining teams, but they are not as tough as before, there's no Keatts, and the current teams are not even in the same stratosphere as the VA 3.

I believe you asked about other times teams dominated, and outside of Keatts UNCW, VCU comes immediately to mind, as does the Brett Blizzard led UNCW teams before that. This league can be won repeatedly with talent and coaching. HU has had 1 of 2.

I actually think JWF could lead HU to the dance if this team played defense and the staff utilized the roster the right way from the start. But I agree I don't think he alone can do it this year... if they can lock down on D, then yes, but that will probably have to occur another year...under another staff unfortunately.

I don't compare JWF to Green, agree they are very different players.

I had an amazing time working in the office, super experience, and def have some insight and stories. What I will say right now is it was VERY clear under Wright this program was building to something special, they were on a path to the dance, and it was only a matter of time. And they rode a superstar conf POY to do so. He had some nice complimentary players around him, but absolutely NO depth and NO post guys anywhere near Gustys or Sabety talent.

Of course the AE was easier than the CAA, but the talent level matched that across the board, so that argument is moot to me. HU's talent top to bottom now is way ahead of any AE team HU had. So basically it was 1 stud to the top, just like JM has had and has right now.

Yet, I do not see that progression taking shape here. I see a LOT of excuse making, a lot of choking, very questionable coaching moves, and a LOT of wasted talent. What track is HU on? Where is the path to the NCAAT? I don't see it, and I take great issue with that.

It's not that HU isn't #1 this year with this team. It's that this is where the PROGRAM is after 5 friggin years. It's the fact that this program was picked 4th this deep into the staffs time with the likely POY. This program is in a place where folks are talking about 'building' from here. After 5 years, now we are starting to build something? Good gracious, I know I am tough on them, but c'mon that's not ok. They built for Green's Sr year, which was great, but they blew it. They should have absolutely been building for THIS year, Rok's last. That's why I went ballistic about Wormley somehow being tapped by the staff as the difference-maker - do you see the issue?

This was and is a VITAL year. And it's simply not living up to the need thus far. Crow is ready... but I'll keep it in the freezer until I see something that makes me take it out.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Anyone who feels that the administration is going to initiate a staff change here will be disappointed and honestly I like the stability that has been established with JM and co. I like what we have and don’t know what we might get. I don’t want to get complacent but do think the pot of gold is within reach. I’ll reserve my judgement until the season is over and I see what the recruits look like. I know that if the NCAat alludes us this year we have a strong nucleus coming back next year.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

This staff is going nowhere, agree with triplec....they have done a very good job in my opinion and unless something crazy happens Joe and Co will be here through the remainder of his contract at least.

As for the AE vs CAA, Polito I guess you forget that Speedy had a running mate, Norman Richardson, who as you may not remember, made it to the NBA as well...not bad for an AE Champion. In fact, the next year, after Speedy graduated, Norman led us to an NCAA bid.

Now, with a new AD on the horizon, he may want to change things up but Hofstra usually doesn't work that way unless there is a meltdown a la Welsh/Cassara.
Last edited by HUSID74 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:This staff is going nowhere, agree with triplec....they have done a very good job in my opinion and unless something crazy happens Joe and Co will be here through the remainder of his contract at least.

As for the AE vs CAA, Polito I guess you forget that Speedy had a running mate, Norman Richardson, who as you may not remember, made it to the NBA as well...not bad for an AE Champion. In fact, the next year, after Speedy graduated, Norman led us to an NCAA bid.

Now, with a new AD on the horizon, he may want to change things up but Hofstra usually doesn't work that unless there is a meltdown a la Welsh/Cassara.
This coaching staff for the most part stays intact for some years to come IMO unless JM decides to retire? If he does I think Speedy is our MAN! That HU team that played UCLA also had Jason Hernandez and Roberto Gittens both very good players along with Apodaca and Richardson. This was a good basketball team and I think a kid named Greg Springfield a rebounder and shot blocker.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:Anyone who feels that the administration is going to initiate a staff change here will be disappointed and honestly I like the stability that has been established with JM and co. I like what we have and don’t know what we might get. I don’t want to get complacent but do think the pot of gold is within reach. I’ll reserve my judgement until the season is over and I see what the recruits look like. I know that if the NCAat alludes us this year we have a strong nucleus coming back next year.
This year's results in both the conference tournament and with recruiting bigs and a PG for JWF's senior season should hold a lot of weight with the new administration's outlook on the staff.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

To those who think teams with POYs should be the best, I looked at the CAA scoring leaders (not the same as POY, but JWF could win both) in the last 12 complete seasons. Those players were on teams that combined for a 107-107 record in CAA games, and only one regular season title, which was VCU in 2008-2009 with Eric Maynor. This will probably be the tenth consecutive season the CAA's scoring leader was not on the regular season champion.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Guys, lol, I remember those years well, and remember every player - I WORKED there for goodness sake! Trust me, I remember 8-)

I still have the Newsdays from each of HU's tourney runs - pretty sure Stormin' Norman was featured on the full back page of '01 with the headline "America's Team" - awesome awesome times - outside of Speedy and Norm, my absolute favorite player was Jay Hernandez (who happens to be my DREAM HU head coach). That kid could hit a fadeaway/fallaway 3 like nobody's business. He delivered daggers!

Loved Gittens too - undersized, but played well. Biggest disappoint for me was Apodaca - tons of talent, played decent, but should've been a superstar.

Now, go back and look at the stats and compare them to Green's Sr yr team and this yrs team - folks, it's no contest. JM has had more talented teams and there's no question in my mind about it. On one hand that's big kudos to this staffs recruiting - have always said they can bring in talent. Other hand, there's no excuse for them not to win IMO.

Springfield is half the post player that Rok and Hunter are...if that. He blocked a few shots, grabbed about 7 boards a game, and had zero offensive talent. JWF is likely to avg more pts than Speedy, and Pemba is avg more than Norm this year. He actually has a legit chance to be much better than Norm. Only thing missing for these guys is the national attention of the NCAAT. Get that, and watch what kind of doors open for these kids post-HU. Miss it, and we'll here about them in Kazakhstan lol. Not knocking Euro, good money there, just saying there's a diff in opportunity.

As far as the staff and Admin, any new AD should absolutely take a hard review of EVERY single sport in the dept. Typically, I would say you give every coach a full year to show you what they are about and where they are going. If you are not good with it, you make a change for your second year. If you like it, you keep it. That's exactly what should happen in any AD changeover.

To sit there and claim that any HC isn't going anywhere 'just because' is outrageous and a total insult to every fan/supporter who has spent a dime on this program. What the hell have an admin and AD for then? Evaluating and putting the dept in the best position to win IS THEIR JOB. NO ONE should be immune to review, to performance standards, and to change if need be.

All I want is for the new AD to have a set and to actually have some power to OBJECTIVELY take an audit of these programs, starting with Mens Hoops and Mens Lax. I find it hard to believe either can't get better...

Even though I'm much tougher than most, I can buy that JM should have his shot this year and next for JWF's final run. But if you can't get the job done, then it's time for change - and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - THAT'S D1 athletics and you have to have a pair to do what it takes to win.

If any of you think this is the best HU can do, well, I think that's sad and weak. Stability is great, when the stability is a CHAMPION. 4/5/6 place? Nah, no thanks. JM and Co can absolutely still make it happen, this yr and next, they just haven't yet. And I'm not calling them untouchable until they do. And neither should any AD worth their salt. And HUSID, you know that better than anyone - I'm 100% right.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Polito, I think that last post was one of your best. But, does the HU president share your thinking? I get the impression that money is a real issue. The need for an upgrade in the scoreboard and PA system for the Mack Arena is just one example. As always, I hope this is the start of a new era of improvements at HU. Remember the old saying, not making a choice, is a choice. All too often, this is what occurs.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Polito wrote:Guys, lol, I remember those years well, and remember every player - I WORKED there for goodness sake! Trust me, I remember 8-)

I still have the Newsdays from each of HU's tourney runs - pretty sure Stormin' Norman was featured on the full back page of '01 with the headline "America's Team" - awesome awesome times - outside of Speedy and Norm, my absolute favorite player was Jay Hernandez (who happens to be my DREAM HU head coach). That kid could hit a fadeaway/fallaway 3 like nobody's business. He delivered daggers!

Loved Gittens too - undersized, but played well. Biggest disappoint for me was Apodaca - tons of talent, played decent, but should've been a superstar.

Now, go back and look at the stats and compare them to Green's Sr yr team and this yrs team - folks, it's no contest. JM has had more talented teams and there's no question in my mind about it. On one hand that's big kudos to this staffs recruiting - have always said they can bring in talent. Other hand, there's no excuse for them not to win IMO.

Springfield is half the post player that Rok and Hunter are...if that. He blocked a few shots, grabbed about 7 boards a game, and had zero offensive talent. JWF is likely to avg more pts than Speedy, and Pemba is avg more than Norm this year. He actually has a legit chance to be much better than Norm. Only thing missing for these guys is the national attention of the NCAAT. Get that, and watch what kind of doors open for these kids post-HU. Miss it, and we'll here about them in Kazakhstan lol. Not knocking Euro, good money there, just saying there's a diff in opportunity.

As far as the staff and Admin, any new AD should absolutely take a hard review of EVERY single sport in the dept. Typically, I would say you give every coach a full year to show you what they are about and where they are going. If you are not good with it, you make a change for your second year. If you like it, you keep it. That's exactly what should happen in any AD changeover.

To sit there and claim that any HC isn't going anywhere 'just because' is outrageous and a total insult to every fan/supporter who has spent a dime on this program. What the hell have an admin and AD for then? Evaluating and putting the dept in the best position to win IS THEIR JOB. NO ONE should be immune to review, to performance standards, and to change if need be.

All I want is for the new AD to have a set and to actually have some power to OBJECTIVELY take an audit of these programs, starting with Mens Hoops and Mens Lax. I find it hard to believe either can't get better...

Even though I'm much tougher than most, I can buy that JM should have his shot this year and next for JWF's final run. But if you can't get the job done, then it's time for change - and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - THAT'S D1 athletics and you have to have a pair to do what it takes to win.

If any of you think this is the best HU can do, well, I think that's sad and weak. Stability is great, when the stability is a CHAMPION. 4/5/6 place? Nah, no thanks. JM and Co can absolutely still make it happen, this yr and next, they just haven't yet. And I'm not calling them untouchable until they do. And neither should any AD worth their salt. And HUSID, you know that better than anyone - I'm 100% right.
We are going to differ on talent between this years team and our last 2 tourney teams - however rather than go player by player or whatever - bottom line Wright's teams were tougher and PLAYED DEFENSE and therein lays the difference. This one doesn't play any (and I'm going to view last night's game as an outlier until proven different)
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

ZMAN3 wrote:
Polito wrote:Guys, lol, I remember those years well, and remember every player - I WORKED there for goodness sake! Trust me, I remember 8-)

Different game different time...Wright's teams could not match our current team's scoring power.

We are going to differ on talent between this years team and our last 2 tourney teams - however rather than go player by player or whatever - bottom line Wright's teams were tougher and PLAYED DEFENSE and therein lays the difference. This one doesn't play any (and I'm going to view last night's game as an outlier until proven different)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Per POLITO;

Polito

Well Polito I'll take exception to the remarks "a total insult to every fan/supporter who has spent a dime on this program" IMO Joe and CO. has taken a program that crashed and was smoldering and brought us stability and a winning demeanor. If u look at his second year which I feel really was his first year discounting the mess in 2013-14 and subsequent years he has a record of 59-41 not a bad winning percentage.
2014–15 Hofstra 20–14 10–8 5th CBI First Round
2015–16 Hofstra 24–10 14–4 1st NIT First Round
2016–17 Hofstra 15–17 7–11 T–7th
This is what you label "just because" and I'm sure there r a lot of passionate people out there that share my views about the current coaching staff and we r not insulting anyone intentionally or unintentionally just stating our opinions and using facts to back up these feelings. IMO this is realistically JM's 4th year with next being his 5th. I agree with the accountability part of what you're saying but some people seem to sway in their assessment of the staff from game to game based on whether we win or lose. Let's relax and call of the dogs for now and wait a few more seasons before we look to have a "FIRE SALE". We're with you and passionate about this program but let's not be hasty. Let's see what kind of AD is hired and whether or not they hire someone who they want to rock the boat! We'll talk at a later time about the Lacrosse program which I know little about but need to be educated on!!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Let's assume that the new AD decides to make a coaching change. Do we give the job to Speedy, or bring someone else in?