Hofstra vs Elon

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Hofstra vs Elon

Post by triplec2195 »

After listening to the weekly coaches report with Stephen Gorchov and JM SG mentioned that the one conference game that Hofstra was not really in was against Elon. The usual coaches rhetoric went on and how they(Elon) have 5 shooters and that they need to guard the perimeter better against them. Then Joe said something like they r a very good team and not too many teams have figured out how to defend against them. That's a little strange to say since they're in the middle of the pack and have lost 6 games. They have lost to the bottom echelon teams in the conference JMU,UNCW AND DREXEL but yet beat us up and have beaten Towson twice and also beat the COC. This may be our toughest opponent in the conference and we'll see the adjustments made in this game by the coaching staff to change the outcome of this game!!
Last edited by triplec2195 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polito

Re: Hofstra vs Elon

Post by Polito »

Eh, typical coach speak. I hate it too, but to be fair to JM this is par for the course for all coaches across all sports lol - just part of the 'game'.

Let's see what adjustments the staff makes. Again, I want to believe, but so far, I'm very uninspired as they have completely blown any opportunities to build real momentum.

I have no expectations of this game. I would hope the chip on the shoulder is palpable, but this team is way too inconsistent from game to game, so whatever happens will not be a shock...
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

For whatever reason, Elon is not a good match up for us. I believe we have lost three in a row against them with our last games at the Mack essentially a blowout in the second half.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUSID74 wrote:For whatever reason, Elon is not a good match up for us. I believe we have lost three in a row against them with our last games at the Mack essentially a blowout in the second half.
The way we defend, no team is a good matchup, but teams that shoot well or move the ball give us a particular problem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Elon - 2.5 as of today (Wed 2/7).
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Wags wrote:Elon - 2.5 as of today (Wed 2/7).
If we lose this one we might as well pack it in.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

joeg1 wrote:
With all due respect, this is just another game. Go 1-1 on this trip and tcb at home and we will be in good shape for the CAA tourney
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
joeg1 wrote:
With all due respect, this is just another game. Go 1-1 on this trip and tcb at home and we will be in good shape for the CAA tourney
2.5 per Newsday also. I'm certainly not believing that under any circumstances that we should pack it in but need to play tough in this game and make it close hopefully in a winning effort. That kid Seibring has burned us in the past and so has Dawkins. We need to play both of them tough. ROK and ST are u listening?? Sid not just another game none of these games now are just another game in all honestly. IMO all momentum and confidence builders getting ready for the final games and the tourney. Clearly we don't want to be beat up again by a team that has lost 6 games in the conference and has lost to the worst teams in the league. I'll leave it at that for now!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

They play every game like its just another game. This team could use a little more desperation and intensity. I'm not in the locker room, but my impression is they could take losing a little more personally....starting with the coach. I think he's comfortable being average.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

joeg1 wrote:They play every game like its just another game. This team could use a little more desperation and intensity. I'm not in the locker room, but my impression is they could take losing a little more personally....starting with the coach. I think he's comfortable being average.
Joe I really couldn't disagree with u more I've seen Joe after some of these games and he acts like he was just told he only has a few days to live. I think he takes losing hard and takes it personally. A game like the COC game while it was a tough loss there were a lot of positives to come away with after that game and I think that he wasn't as devastated as he was after the Elon and NE games where we were clearly outplayed. If u watch some of the post game pressers he clearly looks devastated after some of the losses. If you watch JWF during these post game interviews he clearly takes things personally and is very humble but make no mistake about it he hates losing. He's a winner thru and thru and we're lucky to have him and I think he instills this to all his teammates. So to say we're complacent in losing is just not right. These guys work there butts off and I think they're pretty much seeing the results based on the talent they have. They don't play great defense and I think we have exhausted the conversation on this subject so I won't reiterate it again.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Spread's down to Elon -2 now.

If they're going to do anything in March, they obviously need to at minimum get a top-six seed and avoid playing four games (instead of three) in Charleston.

They're only up two games on 7th-place Drexel at the moment. If Drexel beats Towson and Hofstra loses to Elon tonight, Hofstra will only be one game up on Drexel with five to play. I don't think they want to start playing that game where they're suddenly fighting down the stretch to avoid playing in the opening round.

So it's not just another game AT ALL if only for that reason, but also because there are only six of these left before Charleston in March, and the opportunities are dwindling to start putting it all together on a consistent basis for 40 minutes heading into that tournament. If not now, if not tonight, then when? The final third of the CAA regular season slate starts tonight. NOW is the time to pay back Elon for what Elon did on Hofstra's home floor a few games back, and to start building confidence and a type of play that they can feel good about before the CAA tourney. It's very tough to capture that with only 2 or 3 regular season games left and to then go into the tourney that way. So these final six games are huge for that and it starts tonight. Let's see what they're made of starting tonight.

And if they can have that type of urgency and play more consistent ball starting tonight, the schedule is set up nicely for them to do exactly what I said above. There isn't a game the rest of the way that's not very winnable.

They can beat Elon if they play well tonight. They're considerably better than UNCW and frankly should beat them, even on the road.
Then they close with 3 of 4 at home. They should beat the worst team in the league (JMU) on the road, and then protect the home court down the stretch.
No, W&M and Towson won't be easy, even Drexel might not be that easy, but they're all at home, and they're all games that they should win if they play well.
If they do what they're capable of doing, there's a real chance with this schedule to win their final 6 games, or at least their final 5 if they can't get it done tonight, and to go into the tourney hot and dangerous (regardless of their seed).
Last edited by Wags on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
joeg1 wrote:They play every game like its just another game. This team could use a little more desperation and intensity. I'm not in the locker room, but my impression is they could take losing a little more personally....starting with the coach. I think he's comfortable being average.
Joe I really couldn't disagree with u more I've seen Joe after some of these games and he acts like he was just told he only has a few days to live. I think he takes losing hard and takes it personally. A game like the COC game while it was a tough loss there were a lot of positives to come away with after that game and I think that he wasn't as devastated as he was after the Elon and NE games where we were clearly outplayed. If u watch some of the post game pressers he clearly looks devastated after some of the losses. If you watch JWF during these post game interviews he clearly takes things personally and is very humble but make no mistake about it he hates losing. He's a winner thru and thru and we're lucky to have him and I think he instills this to all his teammates. So to say we're complacent in losing is just not right. These guys work there butts off and I think they're pretty much seeing the results based on the talent they have. They don't play great defense and I think we have exhausted the conversation on this subject so I won't reiterate it again.
I can vouch for this seeing it first hand after games each year. They may not always show it with 40 minutes of intensity on the court each game (and that's the biggest problem, because that's where they need to show it the most), but every player on the roster, Joe and all of his staff definitely care a lot about winning and losing.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:
Totally agree triplec...Joe and Co put their heart and soul into every game...I remember a couple of years ago when we clinched the regular season CAA title I went down on the court and Joe hugged me...he was DRENCHED through his famous/infamous camel sport coat!

Oh and by the way, ESPN Pick Center has us as one point dogs now!
Polito

Post by Polito »

On this I agree fully, JM & Co and the team care deeply about their performance and winning/losing. Have never questioned their desire or heart for this program.

My questions have uniformly been about their ABILITY to be champions and achieve the dance. Big difference there.

If anyone needs to feel more pressure, IMO, it's the ADMIN / future AD. WAY too much complacency within the athletic dept. They have NO CLUE what level of intensity and performance demands it takes to truly win championships, and way too often display a a defeatist attitude and a 'hey we're just glad we're here / we'll take anything as long as no one gets arrested' type attitude.

However, there is no such thing as just another game, especially in conf and this late in the year. These games are HUGE.

If HU drops this game tonight, it would be devastating and IMO would completely kill any confidence this team has left that they can actually win in Charleston. For this team to even be this close to the bottom 4 is a friggin joke and one of my biggest issues this season - nothing to do with how much everyone cares, this has to do with fulfilling expectations.

It's ELON for goodness sake. Show up, perform, COACH, and win the damn game.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

17 years and counting...get it done
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:we'll take anything as long as no one gets arrested
:lol:
Wags

Post by Wags »

Well, at least Rok is pumped for this game. Let's see what he does tonight.
https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/9 ... 1907519488
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2018 ... -elon.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Elon."

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... m#team.ind has Elon's statistics.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=190368 will have statistics.

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/elon ... Type=video will have video.

Edit: Hofstra is starting their usual starters. Elon has a different starter for the first time this season. Senior Dmitri Thompson and juniors Steven Santa Ana, Tyler Seibring, and Dainan Swoope start like usual. However, Brian Dawkins isn't starting. He's fourth on Elon in points and second in rebounds. Karolis Kundrotas, a junior who is seventh on Elon in minutes, starts instead. He averages 2.4 points per game.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Down 7-4, almost 7 min in.

Rok has 5 boards already... and no FGA, while HU is 2/12 overall (mostly JWF 1/5, and Eli 1/3)... get other guys involved! They don't play well when JWF put it on himself that much. Rok is efficient when he gets fed inside. Get others involved too, especially when you're not hitting.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

video worked for about 30 seconds of the pregame for me and I haven't been able to get back on since