Game 24, home vs. Charleston

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Game 24, home vs. Chareston

Post by triplec2195 »

While everyone is focused on the last shot by Brantley I was of the opinion that with 3.9 seconds on the clock(1st possession after Brantley's shot) that we had ample time to go down the floor and get a decent shot off. Obviously the coaching stay preferred to throw a hail Mary pass down the court. Does anyone feel we could have scored with 3.9 seconds in bounding the ball under their basket??
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID74 wrote:You can't criticize Foremen for the shot when he took it. At that juncture in the game you take the open look...why wait for the defense to adjust...come on guys... that's taking second guessing to new heights!
Like I said I can't get crazy about leaving that much time on the clock, but the personnel on the last basket was first guessing as it was happening.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

cactus wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:You can't criticize Foremen for the shot when he took it. At that juncture in the game you take the open look...why wait for the defense to adjust...come on guys... that's taking second guessing to new heights!
Like I said I can't get crazy about leaving that much time on the clock, but the personnel on the last basket was first guessing as it was happening.

No problem with the time on the clock either - personnel on the last few seconds very questionable - and when trying to inbound the ball with seconds left we are trying to get the ball to RG (I know he might had been the only open-but was he going to do with it from half court?
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

daHUPride wrote:
cactus wrote:

No problem with the time on the clock either - personnel on the last few seconds very questionable - and when trying to inbound the ball with seconds left we are trying to get the ball to RG (I know he might had been the only open-but was he going to do with it from half court?
In Rokas's fairness, they have posted videos of him making half court shots on Instagram during practice haha. That being said, he was certainly not my first choice and probably shouldn't have even been on the court in that scenario.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

It seems crazy to ridicule JWF's shot. Let's say he did take it down to the last second: Charleston would've been guarding him like crazy and I find it hard to believe he would've found as good of a shot. And it's just so risky taking it to the last second because, it is quite literally "do or die" - no chance at another possession. Buzzer beater or nothing. That is an insane amount of pressure to put on a team when down 2. And after rewatching that play, Justin made such a great move on his defender (had him on the ground), leaving him with the perfect adrenaline filled, open three. How could he not take it? The other option - not take it, let the clock run down, pass it around, get it back to him with 3 seconds left, double teamed and most likely missed. I see what you're all getting at with the "too much time left" but c'mon, the three was clutch and brought us back on top. If there's criticism to pursue, it's the horrid defensive possession afterwards.

Also after rewatching, why didn't ST foul Brantley in that scenario (or at least be coached to foul under the basket?) With our horrid defense of 5 years, at this point, as frustrating as it sounds, I would've preferred a foul that ensured he missed the shot, bringing him to the line and hoping for a miss. The second Brantley was under the basket it just looked way too easy as always. Or maybe another option with our defense - a quick, non shooting foul, early in the possession sending them to the line and hoping they at least miss one, giving us maybe 10 or so seconds to come back with all of our shooters on the court. For any other team, a tight defensive play would make sense. As sad as it is for us, I'm not sure that's the case.

Frustrating loss. Great college basketball game as always. JAM never fails to excite, that is for sure. Let's clean up down South for two games and avenge the ole W&M back up here. At least one thing we know for sure - We can put up a fight against any team in the conference. Winning is another story.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: You can't put this loss on Rok. The kid sucks from the line, that is a given, we can't expect that to change in a crucial game. He stinks from the line regardless of the moment in the game, can't pin this game on him. There are tons of games we won where he went 0fer from the line.
Not solely. Whenever you lose a game like that, there are always (as in this case) a number of reasons you can point to. That said, the excuse that he's always bad at the line, and they've won before despite him being bad at the line doesn't fly. Sure, you can beat bad teams like JMU (when Rok went 2/7 at the line) or UNCW (when Rok was 3/7 at the line), but guess what happens when you go 0/5 against the best team in the conference? It catches up with you in a late one-point loss.

And no one's asking him to shoot 80% at the line, or even 60%, but at least improve over four years.
39.7%
28.0%
43.6%
41.5%
By now, as a senior, there's no reason to go 0/5 in a game that big and in a game that close. That's where it matters. Changes their whole season right now. Forget those other games.
Flying Dutchmen wrote: Every game like this, I expect to lose. Just like being a Pats fan, when they are down big, I expect them to always pull it out. I hate the Patriots, but we know it always happens. They have a winning mentality around their organization, we have a losing mentality, which both are deserved. Hofstra has been nothing but losses in big games.
Not always, like tonight. Only when they don't play NFC East teams in Super Bowls. Otherwise, they're 0-3.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jordan wrote:they have posted videos of him making half court shots on Instagram during practice haha. That being said, he was certainly not my first choice and probably shouldn't have even been on the court in that scenario.
I've seen them, they're fun. But is he working harder than that on his free throws? Because it doesn't show.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:
Jordan wrote:they have posted videos of him making half court shots on Instagram during practice haha. That being said, he was certainly not my first choice and probably shouldn't have even been on the court in that scenario.
I've seen them, they're fun. But is he working harder than that on his free throws? Because it doesn't show.
Good point Jordan - LOL - very funny!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'll change this subject for a minute since we have beaten it to death killed ROK and the coaching staff! Lol I've noticed recently that there were no post game highlights of the UNCW game which I would have loved to revisit. Also only second half highlights of the COC game?? I would have preferred to watch the first half if I had to choose? What's the story??
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good question, that's one area I think the hoops staffers could improve - post-game highlights should be automatic after every single game

Anyhoo...

There were a number of things that needed to go differently in this game. Was it a good game? Sure, it was a battle as expected - but a 'great' game to me is one that HU wins. I'm not interested in great / exciting games, I'm interested in HU winning and going dancing. I.E. I'd take UVA's boring brand of successful basketball over HU's exciting brand that hasn't gotten the job done. Excitement around a great game is what I feel when I watch two teams that I don't care about lol - this was not a 'great / exciting' game, it was a heartbreaking loss in a game that HU should have won.

My intention is not 'debbie downer' at all, I'm just not going to make or accept excuses anymore.

I also think there is some confusion around what it takes to win the CAA. What I mean is, for example, in the post-game comments JM states that they are right there, very close, a good team that can win this league.

I agree...to an extent. My issue here is not that HU doesn't have the ability to, I also believe they can beat anyone in the league. But there is a BIG difference between being able to beat any 1 team in 1 game, than being able to beat 3 in 3. This is where I take issue - just because HU can beat any team once, does not equate to winning a weekend tourney - and this is where I think this staff continues to be off track, and why they still haven't done it. And that includes regular season tournaments as well.

One thing Jay did that JM has yet to is win a weekend tournament in the regular season. He proved he could, his team proved they could, and it paid off when it mattered.

HU has yet to do that under JM, that's why they've never believed they could. Considering this staff constantly complains about the Thur / Sat deal, which I agree stinks BUT is the SAME for everyone, how are they planning to win 3 in 3, when they have a brutal time winning 2 in 3???

I want to believe, but JM gives me absolutely ZERO confidence that it's going to happen. So far after 5 yrs, I see a good program that has made clear improvements from when this staff took over, but I just don't see championship caliber leadership.

Unfortunately what I do continuously see are major questions and gaffs related to coaching, and that's not going to cut it. Nor is that going to cut nets. And no, I don't think that means we have to be Nova fans. I think it means this well paid staff who's had 5 yrs to put it all together now has a very fair expectation to win a VERY winnable league.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

No team in the CAA is leaps and bounds better than us or anyone else. CoC, WM, NE or Tow could all win it. So could we if we execute
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I think Polito it's quite obvious that u r not a big fan of the coaching staff and u r not yet willing to give them your vote of confidence. As far as the 3 in 3 being doable I don't care what team u r 3 in 3 is no easy task because too many things can go wrong. UNCW won this conference two years running but I don't remember at least recently a team repeating as conference champion. There is so many variables in the playoffs especially what teams will u be drawing to get to the championship. I cringe when I think of Hofstra playing a team like Elon. They really stuck it to us at the Mack and there big forwards can shoot it from the perimeter. We'll see if we learned anything from that game come Thursday. JA was invisible in that game so ST is going to have to play well defensively and get some points. We lost by 13 and were losing by 24 at one point with JWF scoring 39. I would rather play W&M, NE, COC anyone really rather then ElON but meanwhile in the conference they have lost 6 games. It's crazy JM and the rest of the staff needs to find out what all these other teams knew about ELON that we didn't.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Since he's been here, coach's record in what I would consider "big" games is uninspiring. He wins a lot (against mediocre opponents), and has some nice wins, but can't seem to get the squad to deliver in the really big ones. If he wants to be thought of as a great coach, we've got to get to the dance. He did it at Niagara- get it done here.
Cards

Post by Cards »

joeg1 wrote:Since he's been here, coach's record in what I would consider "big" games is uninspiring. He wins a lot (against mediocre opponents), and has some nice wins, but can't seem to get the squad to deliver in the really big ones. If he wants to be thought of as a great coach, we've got to get to the dance. He did it at Niagara- get it done here.
We all know that winning the MAAC is not like winning the CAA.

3 in 3 is a tall order and yes agree that anything can happen on any given day. I am not worried that we do not have the offense to win 3 games. I am extremely worried and honestly have no confidence that we can defend well for 3 straight games. Using the first half of this year and the last few years record I think is a pretty good indicator ;) (DUUUUUUUH :lol: ) that our defense is mediocre at best.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: I'll change this subject for a minute since we have beaten it to death killed ROK and the coaching staff! Lol I've noticed recently that there were no post game highlights of the UNCW game which I would have loved to revisit. Also only second half highlights of the COC game?? I would have preferred to watch the first half if I had to choose? What's the story??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6CpsDrDeRk&t=0s has highlights of the UNCW game.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Thanks Evan I searched around and found it also over 12 minutes but why wasn't it on gohofstra as part of the game rap up??
Polito

Post by Polito »

Well hang on triplec, that's not entirely true. I know it may seem like I'm bashing them, but that is not my intention at all. I actually happen to like the guys I've spoken with very much - they are good peeps, love the game and HU, and I truly have no interest in seeing anyone lose their job. I do however also understand the realities of business.

They have successfully re-birthed a fledgling program mired in negativity. This was a huge job and they navigated it perfectly IMO.

My point now is that I don't see this going further, and what I'm seeing is not enough for me. It's been 5 years, and I don't see the desired championship progression - I have been, and still am, a fan of the talent they have brought in - I feel this is clearly not the issue, they have had and currently have enough talent. Yet this team is still fighting in the middle of the pack, no closer to winning it all than it was with Green, still experiencing increasingly frustrating coaching moves/decisions/etc., and on the verge of wasting yet another TOP talent.

I don't find this acceptable. So it's not that I don't want to give the staff the vote of confidence, it's that they have not earned it yet. There is a big difference. I've said several times, I'll eat my crow gladly! The fact is, they have done absolutely nothing to earn the fans confidence that they can and will get the job done. Quite the opposite actually. They've proven that no matter how close things get, they will find more epic ways to blow it. This program went from 'notorious' to 'choke'.

Don't get me wrong, that's def a step better, I'll take this over the previous nonsense any day of the week. I love the kids this staff has brought in, they are so easy to support, upstanding young men who rep this U tremendously, and work super hard to do so. I'm not all doom and gloom, that's just what the JM people like to portray about me. This isn't my first rodeo - I've been involved since '95, and I worked IN the mens basketball office under Wright. I'm not new or uneducated. So the BS doesn't fly with me for long.

I expect better, and I am not apologizing for that one bit.

And again, my loyalty is to the PROGRAM, not to any staff or player. Or admin for that matter. I want what is best for the PROGRAM, period. And a staff that can't figure out how to get it done with Green and JWF (2 conf POY's), then I think there is an obvious issue that any responsible party that wants success and has standards of performance HAS to address. We should FEEL and SEE that this is priority #1. Accountability should be CLEAR. Every single person supporting this program deserves that.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Polito wrote:And again, my loyalty is to the PROGRAM, not to any staff or player. Or admin for that matter. I want what is best for the PROGRAM, period. And a staff that can't figure out how to get it done with Green and JWF (2 conf POY's), then I think there is an obvious issue that any responsible party that wants success and has standards of performance HAS to address. We should FEEL and SEE that this is priority #1. Accountability should be CLEAR. Every single person supporting this program deserves that.
This is exactly how many of us feel. Could not be said any better!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:Well hang on triplec, that's not entirely true. I know it may seem like I'm bashing them, but that is not my intention at all. I actually happen to like the guys I've spoken with very much - they are good peeps, love the game and HU, and I truly have no interest in seeing anyone lose their job. I do however also understand the realities of business.

They have successfully re-birthed a fledgling program mired in negativity. This was a huge job and they navigated it perfectly IMO.

My point now is that I don't see this going further, and what I'm seeing is not enough for me. It's been 5 years, and I don't see the desired championship progression - I have been, and still am, a fan of the talent they have brought in - I feel this is clearly not the issue, they have had and currently have enough talent. Yet this team is still fighting in the middle of the pack, no closer to winning it all than it was with Green, still experiencing increasingly frustrating coaching moves/decisions/etc., and on the verge of wasting yet another TOP talent.

I don't find this acceptable. So it's not that I don't want to give the staff the vote of confidence, it's that they have not earned it yet. There is a big difference. I've said several times, I'll eat my crow gladly! The fact is, they have done absolutely nothing to earn the fans confidence that they can and will get the job done. Quite the opposite actually. They've proven that no matter how close things get, they will find more epic ways to blow it. This program went from 'notorious' to 'choke'.

Don't get me wrong, that's def a step better, I'll take this over the previous nonsense any day of the week. I love the kids this staff has brought in, they are so easy to support, upstanding young men who rep this U tremendously, and work super hard to do so. I'm not all doom and gloom, that's just what the JM people like to portray about me. This isn't my first rodeo - I've been involved since '95, and I worked IN the mens basketball office under Wright. I'm not new or uneducated. So the BS doesn't fly with me for long.

And again, my loyalty is to the PROGRAM, not to any staff or player. Or admin for that matter. I want what is best for the PROGRAM, period. And a staff that can't figure out how to get it done with Green and JWF (2 conf POY's), then I think there is an obvious issue that any responsible party that wants success and has standards of performance HAS to address. We should FEEL and SEE that this is priority #1. Accountability should be CLEAR. Every single person supporting this program deserves that.
A like a lot of what u r saying here POLITO AND always felt that u have a lot of passion for the program. I didn't know u had worked in the men's basketball office when Wright was here. Maybe u would like to give us some incite on what was going on back then. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested since the program was successful when he was here. I think u need to be careful though when you compare this team to the team Green played for in his senior year and you're not alone. There r people on this forum who post that this current team is better then the Juan'ya Green team in his senior year. Clearly your passion for this team has gotten the best of you if this is your opinion because I think the Green team was far better then this team and I've said as such in previous posts. That team I think only lost 4 games in the conference. People want to compare Green to Justin and they're clearly two different players. Green doesn't shoot like Justin but Justin doesn't pass like Green. Justin may very well be one of the best players ever to suit up for Hofstra but like I've said before he's not going to carry this team on his back to the NCAAT. He's only one player and Hofstra is in the thick of this conference race because there's no over the top talented team this year like UNCW was the last 2 years. I think this current team would have had a lot of trouble playing against the old UNCW team that Greens team held their own against. The current team has more depth the former team a far better 1-5. I believe that this staff right now is getting what they can squeeze out of this team. We have seen a certain degree of turn around from DB play and also KW game. I don't think the staff really deserves a lot of credit for this but the players r playing with confidence. KW looks like an entirely different player. Rood might disagree with this but I believe our PG play has improved dramatically from what it was. I think giving ST playing time and experience has really improved this team and makes us more versatile. He brings a more diverse skill set then JA. The staff should get credit for also getting JR minutes and his game is starting to evolve. I think when people use the 5 year plan as a rule of thumb u need to take into consideration that when JM came into this program he was lucky to have kids like Jordan Allen and Moussa Kone stay with the program to give us some kind of semblance of respectability. Then we had to wait another year for Green and Tanksley to be eligible then another wait for Bernardi to be eligible. I don't know where this program will be after this year when ROK graduates with unknowns at the 5 spot. We only have JWF & DB for another year. Can they realistically build a powerhouse around JR,EP,ST,MR, TC and Schutte if he becomes part of the plan down low?? These players and the unknown recruits that we're yet to sign. Maybe it's definitely a good nucleus to start from.
Jojogunne

Re: Game 24, home vs. Charleston

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195 wrote:
Polito wrote:Well hang on triplec, that's not entirely true. I know it may seem like I'm bashing them, but that is not my intention at all. I actually happen to like the guys I've spoken with very much - they are good peeps, love the game and HU, and I truly have no interest in seeing anyone lose their job. I do however also understand the realities of business.

A like a lot of what u r saying here POLITO AND always felt that u have a lot of passion for the program. I didn't know u had worked in the men's basketball office when Wright was here. Maybe u would like to give us some incite on what was going on back then. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested since the program was successful when he was here. I think u need to be careful though when you compare this team to the team Green played for in his senior year and you're not alone. There r people on this forum who post that this current team is better then the Juan'ya Green team in his senior year. Clearly your passion for this team has gotten the best of you if this is your opinion because I think the Green team was far better then this team and I've said as such in previous posts. That team I think only lost 4 games in the conference. People want to compare Green to Justin and they're clearly two different players. Green doesn't shoot like Justin but Justin doesn't pass like Green. Justin may very well be one of the best players ever to suit up for Hofstra but like I've said before he's not going to carry this team on his back to the NCAAT. He's only one player and Hofstra is in the thick of this conference race because there's no over the top talented team this year like UNCW was the last 2 years. I think this current team would have had a lot of trouble playing against the old UNCW team that Greens team held their own against. The current team has more depth the former team a far better 1-5. I believe that this staff right now is getting what they can squeeze out of this team. We have seen a certain degree of turn around from DB play and also KW game. I don't think the staff really deserves a lot of credit for this but the players r playing with confidence. KW looks like an entirely different player. Rood might disagree with this but I believe our PG play has improved dramatically from what it was. I think giving ST playing time and experience has really improved this team and makes us more versatile. He brings a more diverse skill set then JA. The staff should get credit for also getting JR minutes and his game is starting to evolve. I think when people use the 5 year plan as a rule of thumb u need to take into consideration that when JM came into this program he was lucky to have kids like Jordan Allen and Moussa Kone stay with the program to give us some kind of semblance of respectability. Then we had to wait another year for Green and Tanksley to be eligible then another wait for Bernardi to be eligible. I don't know where this program will be after this year when ROK graduates with unknowns at the 5 spot. We only have JWF & DB for another year. Can they realistically build a powerhouse around JR,EP,ST,MR, TC and Schutte if he becomes part of the plan down low?? These players and the unknown recruits that we're yet to sign. Maybe it's definitely a good nucleus to start from.
Whew! That’s one long paragraph.