Game 24, home vs. Charleston

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Game 24, home vs. Charleston

Post by HUSID74 »

Time to man up, beat these guys on our home court and send a message to the League. We should be maybe, one points favs only due to the home court. Bring it on!
daHUPride

Re: Game 24, home vs. Chareston

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:Time to man up, beat these guys on our home court and send a message to the League. We should be maybe, one points favs only due to the home court. Bring it on!
Good call HUSID74 - Ny Post has us 1 1/2 favorites..this would be a big W - Lets Go Hofstra!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Ditto in Newsday 1.5 point favorites!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

A quick synopsis of this game usually done by Evan seems to breakdown to COC defense vs our offense. They r the #1 D team in the league giving up 68.4 and we give up 76.7. We score 79.5 and they score 73. Their stats across the board offensively r very mediocre and u wonder how their record is so good but they play D.They don't rebound well and don't shoot the 3 well. It's clear that their guards(Chealey/Riller) can't score 58 points as in the first game and Chealey getting around 1/3 of his points from the foul line. What a total disaster that was. I'm sure we r going to try and contain their guards and keep them from penetrating forcing them to shoot from as far out as possible. If we can do this we should be in a good position to win this game. We need continued output from EP and ROK AND someone other then JWF getting some points JR,ST,DB or KW????
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

ESPN has CoC -1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... me/1900#BT says the line went:

Hofstra by 1.5
Hofstra by 1
Hofstra by 1.5
Hofstra by 2
Hofstra by 2.5
Hofstra by 2
Hofstra by 1.5
Hofstra by 1
College of Charleston by 1
Even
Polito

Post by Polito »

Biggest conf game of the yr so far - this is a must win IMO in terms of the 'intangibles' so to speak - perception / belief / fans interest / marketing / season excitement / conf position / etc

Fellas need to bring the heat for a full 40 and make a statement

Fans need to make some serious noise

Students need to show up, and arrive rowdy

If this team and staff want to prove they're finally legit, to show real progression, and finally ready to get after the crown and the bid, THIS is that opportunity.

Game time.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We're back to -1 on ESPN, never saw a line move like this so late...must mean what we all believe, this game is a toss up...let's hope the HOME team carries the day.
Cards

Post by Cards »

i needed a few extra tickets for the game tonight. I know the tix office is not usually open Saturday afternoons, but I thought I'd call anyway. So I called and Mike Neely picked up the phone. Told me whatever I needed he could take care of it. Great guy in the right spot. Got my extra tix - will be at will call.

Mike said it should be a good crowd tonight - really hope that is true. This is a big game!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Cards wrote:i needed a few extra tickets for the game tonight. I know the tix office is not usually open Saturday afternoons, but I thought I'd call anyway. So I called and Mike Neely picked up the phone. Told me whatever I needed he could take care of it. Great guy in the right spot. Got my extra tix - will be at will call.

Mike said it should be a good crowd tonight - really hope that is true. This is a big game!
I have had nothing but good experiences with the ticket staff and price club staff. They all seem to be looking to do what is best for Hofstra.

Hope the predictions are correct that tonight will be a big crowd. Hoping for a decent turnout from students.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=190274 will have statistics. Hofstra is starting their usual starters.

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2018 ... eston.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: College of Charleston."

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... m#team.ind has College of Charleston's statistics.

After Northeastern's 107-100 win hosting UNCW in overtime and Drexel's great shooting to win 91-79 at William & Mary, we would be in a four-way tie for first if we win. Tramaine Isabell had a rare combination of 23 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 assists. David Cohn had 26 points, 9 assists, and only 1 turnover in a loss. Vasa Pusica had 24 points, 9 assists, and only 1 turnover. He made half his field goals, and his teammates Anthony Green and Tomas Murphy combined to make 15 out of 21 field goals. Ty Taylor scored 27 including a three-pointer with 38 seconds left in regulation and a three-pointer at the buzzer to force overtime. Devontae Cacok's 18 points and 17 rebounds look good, but he made only 6 out of 18 field goal attempts, which is horrible if you don't attempt threes. Stuckey Mosley (who scored 37 at Hofstra) scored 35, and teammate DeVelle Phillips had 17 points, 8 rebounds, and made 8 out of 9 field goals. Zane Martin scored 28 in a loss, and teammate Justin Gorham had 9 points and 17 rebounds. Gorham didn't get a double-double because he made 3 out of 7 free throws, and Towson made fewer than half their free throws.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

William and Mary lost today so if we win we will be in a three way tie for first. The
opportunity is there for us we MUST take advantage of it.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: William and Mary lost today so if we win we will be in a three way tie for first. The
opportunity is there for us we MUST take advantage of it.
We would be in a four-way tie with William & Mary, Charleston, and Northeastern.

Charleston is starting their usual Grant Riller (sophomore guard), Jarrell Brantley (junior forward), Cameron Johnson (senior guard), Joe Chealey (senior guard), and Nick Harris (junior forward).

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/hofs ... Type=video has video.

Edit: We're 2 point underdogs in the final line.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Joe’s so dumb, the loss is on him.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Sheeeesh!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Very exciting game. Unfortunately we still give up a ton of points.

We play a team that averages 72 pts per game.....but not against the famous JM defense. Every team is like a team full of Michael Jordans against HU.

I did not like the game plan of "zero" inside game. We did not even go inside and the center fouled out and Brantley had 4 fouls. What the heck could have happened if we passed the ball down low once in a while. :cry: :cry: I don't get it. RG passes the ball outside when he's 5 ft from the hoop. The guards never feed him inside. What a waste :?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

We talked about this during the game and I'll mention here... What was Joe doing with Gustys at the end of the game? He's in when wright foreman hits the 3, they pull him for the defensive possession and they go right to Brantley on Trueheart and he scores with ease, then Gustys back in on offense again and they throw him the ball on the inbounds for a turnover... totally confused to the thought process there

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

cactus wrote:We talked about this during the game and I'll mention here... What was Joe doing with Gustys at the end of the game? He's in when wright foreman hits the 3, they pull him for the defensive possession and they go right to Brantley on Trueheart and he scores with ease, then Gustys back in on offense again and they throw him the ball on the inbounds for a turnover... totally confused to the thought process there

And you're probably one of the guys here who says Rokus can't play defense. Obviously the coaches thought Trueheart was a better defender...you lose by one you can pick any number of reasons...how about Rok missing FIVE free throws! I would start the second guessing there.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID74 wrote:
cactus wrote:We talked about this during the game and I'll mention here... What was Joe doing with Gustys at the end of the game? He's in when wright foreman hits the 3, they pull him for the defensive possession and they go right to Brantley on Trueheart and he scores with ease, then Gustys back in on offense again and they throw him the ball on the inbounds for a turnover... totally confused to the thought process there

And you're probably one of the guys here who says Rokus can't play defense. Obviously the coaches thought Trueheart was a better defender...you lose by one you can pick any number of reasons...how about Rok missing FIVE free throws! I would start the second guessing there.
Ok so why is he in on offense when they could just foul him? Trueheart gives up 50 lbs on Brantley. Sabety or Gustys needs to be in there, that bucket was the easiest of the day for them

Polito

Post by Polito »

Lol - every time Hofstra has a chance to do something significant, they blow it – it's the same crap all the time every year with this staff.

Was a great battle as we all knew it would be, but this crap has to stop - I just don't think JM is a 'winner' if you know what I mean - I really don't think he has what it takes to TRULY win in the CAA - I know he won a regular season once, that's not what I mean, I know he can win games in this conference and HAS, but what I'm talking about is true championship capability, and after 5 yrs I just don't see it - he just gives that feeling that it's just going to be constant heart break during his entire tenure… I hate to put that on the guy because it's really just a gut feeling and not necessarily fair LOL but I never ever ever have any confidence that this program is going to actually do anything.

It's just always that close but no cigar deal with him in the staff, you know what I mean? I mean every year it's just always the same letdown and disappointment.

Hofstra had no business losing this game, none. I don't want to hear any BS about Charlston being the number one pick and all that crap, Hofstra had the game WON and they just blew it. As usual.

Alas, they had a chance to make a statement, but sadly my season prediction remains…

... and you can bet that'll be the last we see of the students. I think every single year that Joe has coached this program the biggest student turn out game of the year they blow it. I honestly think that's a fact statistic lol

This was a must win in my opinion for this program to do anything this season. Just BRUTAL.

And of course I know C of C is good, got to give them credit for frustrating Foreman for most of the game, they are obviously a good team - but this loss is entirely on Hofstra they just flat out blew it. And if you make boneheaded moves or boneheaded plays you're going to lose. I just wonder when someone's actually going to be held accountable for it…