MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by triplec2195 »

All very interesting pieces of HU sports history and we might only be scratching the surface here?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

triple its only because we are all old. The youngins werent even born when some of these names played for Hofstra.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes always showing our age. I graduated in 1972 Stu!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I graduated in 1973 but not from Hofstra. I went to NYIT my daughter graduated from Hofstra
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:I graduated in 1973 but not from Hofstra. I went to NYIT my daughter graduated from Hofstra
Wow that's interesting. My son actually went to Hofstra for one year and transferred to Sacred Heart to be with his H.S. sweetheart. He also had tried out for the baseball team here as a H.S. player from Wantagh and didn't make the team. As the world turns Stu a lot of interesting stories out there!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Remember Donatas Kupsas? He and LI Lutheran beat Archbishop Molloy and Cardinal Hayes this weekend to win the SNY Invitational.

Kupsas looked pretty good, but there's a lot of talent on that Brookville team. We should be all over them. I especially liked their SO PG Andre Curbelo:

https://www.sny.tv/info/sny-invitational
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Saw the LuHi game, and of course, the one that got away looked good
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

They always do!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ugh. Don't want to hear or see any more of Kupsas. B R U T A L miss. Recruiting ain't for the faint of heart, I know this one hurts.

But I've said my piece, and won't keep going crazy here - this staff has proven to reel in pretty good talent over the years, one of their strong suits IMO - I will give them the benefit of the doubt, as hard as that is - have to be fair, and they have earned it to a certain extent.

I hate the last minute stuff and the excuses that go with it that apparently no other CAA school has :roll: , but so far they have produced results on that front. Let's see how it plays out for this class... they do have the ability to make it another good one.

It's the coaching and player development issues that are glaring and should be the focus of resolution.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I know we like to have kids for 4 years but if the NCAA passes that new rule in June that transfers r eligible without having to sit out then it's going to get very interesting on how many kids will play musical schools and start transferring from one school to the next!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:I know we like to have kids for 4 years but if the NCAA passes that new rule in June that transfers r eligible without having to sit out then it's going to get very interesting on how many kids will play musical schools and start transferring from one school to the next!
I believe it's only if the coach gets fired, leaves or maybe, the program is sanctioned.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

No I could be wrong but I believe that's across the board with no requirements other then GPA!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUSID74 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:I know we like to have kids for 4 years but if the NCAA passes that new rule in June that transfers r eligible without having to sit out then it's going to get very interesting on how many kids will play musical schools and start transferring from one school to the next!
I believe it's only if the coach gets fired, leaves or maybe, the program is sanctioned.
I think you are right- the proposal is if a coach leaves. If there were no restrictions on transfers it would be chaos
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

As I read further I stand corrected my bad. This is from an article off the internet;

Athletes would be allowed to transfer schools without restriction if their coach were fired or left for another job as part of sweeping proposal that is making its way through Division I, CBS Sports has learned. However, athletes would not be permitted to follow the departing coach to their new program.

The proposal, which originated from the Big 12, would also allow athletes to transfer without sitting out a season (as currently mandated by NCAA rules) in the event a postseason ban is handed down by the NCAA as punishment to their program.

The traditional academic "year in residence" for transfers in all other situations would still be in place and extended to every sport. Presently, that is only a requirement in five NCAA sports.

The proposal authored by the faculty athletic representatives at Baylor and Iowa State has received early support. Skeptics note it is merely a proposal, not the proposal. Still, the document shared with CBS Sports seems to be the most detailed offering to date as a means of fixing the NCAA's long-criticized transfer policies.

"Basically, we're saying kids can go anywhere they want," Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard said. "For the first time ever in college athletics, the student-athlete is empowered."

Changing the NCAA's entrenched transfer rules has become one of the most significant undertakings in the association's history.

Coaches have long been able to "block" where a transfer goes. Athletes also have to seek release from their scholarships to immediately get aid at another school. Frequently, they have to get "permission" from the school/coach to move on to their desired school.

Those practices would end if the aforementioned proposal is adopted.

"I haven't heard one person against [doing away with] the notification," Ohio State AD Gene Smith said.

The NCAA board of directors has basically mandated Division I to change its transfer rules in the next year.

An ongoing Division I Transfer Working Group is expected to push forward one or two proposals for legislation by June. The question then would be the effective date -- in time for either the 2018 or 2019 football seasons.

A source close to that situation stressed the preliminary nature of any proposals at the moment. The Big 12 proposal was finalized last month when conference officials met at the NCAA Convention in Indianapolis.

"Either try to accept [the process or] try to change it," Pollard said. "But quit bitching about it."

The Big 12 is in the process of distributing and talking up the proposal with other conferences. You can see the proposal here.

"I think it's a phenomenal idea," Pollard said. "There's holes in it. There will always be, but it's the best thing I've seen out there so far. It's a lot better than where we are heading."

For example, players could have transferred from Florida State without restriction when Jimbo Fisher departed for Texas A&M in early December 2017 or when Rich Rodriguez was fired at Arizona on Jan. 2.

Those transferring players could not immediately follow the coach to their new school.

Rising seniors were allowed to transfer when the NCAA slapped Ole Miss with a second year of a postseason ban on Dec. 1, 2017. (The school had already self-imposed a one-year ban.) Under the proposal, any and all Ole Miss players could have departed for a new school without sitting out a year.

Currently, several transferring Ole Miss underclassmen are seeking waivers for immediate eligibility. There have been reports some of those players are basing their appeals on feeling they were misled by the school about the severity of the penalties.

Pollard admitted adjustments would have to be made in football recruiting limitations (25 scholarships per year) if a school lost transfers in any of the above scenarios.

Also, the subsequent impact on a departure to a school's Academic Progress Rate would have to be considered. Mass transfers could potentially put a program's postseason eligibility at risk.

Football and basketball coaches are currently concerned about possible "free agency," allowing athletes across the board to transfer without any restriction for any reason.

Men's basketball is arguably in crisis with a current transfer rate of 40 percent.

"It's a broken sport," a current Pac-12 AD told CBS Sports.

Anything still seems possible. The words "panic" and "wild, Wild West" we're tossed about by other AD types this weekend at the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) mid-winter meeting in Sanibel Island, Florida.

"I hear it's all over the board right now," Smith said.

The Big 12 proposal at least contains academic components that legitimize it.

Part of the proposal's credibility comes from its authors and their obvious research. Jeremy Counseller is a law professor at Baylor. Tim Day is an Iowa State professor of molecular pharmacology and member of the NCAA Council.

Part of the proposal calls for uniformity. In the traditional transfer setting, athletes are required to sit out a year in only five sports: baseball, hockey, football and men's and women's basketball. Under the proposal, transfers in all sports would be required to sit out a year in the event of a traditional transfer. That means volleyball, softball, wrestling athletes and others used to immediate transfers would now have to sit out.

"That's not why we're dealing with this issue," Pollard said. "We're dealing with it because of football and basketball. Can you name me one high-profile athlete that's been blocked in another sport? Now we're going to treat everybody equally. Empower the student-athlete but help them make a sound academic decision."

The possibility could suddenly exist that, in the same college career, a player could redshirt, transfer, sit out a year and transfer immediately. That player would not lose any of their four years of eligibility.

Yes, it could also create the possibility -- though not likely -- of a six- or seven-year player, the former of which we rarely see today usually due to injury.

"If you don't do that, people will just make the emotional decision that it's all about athletics," Pollard said. "This makes you actually stop and think about academics but doesn't stop you from making an athletic decision."
Dennis Dodd mugshot
Dennis Dodd
CBS Sports Senior Writer
follow

Dennis Dodd has covered college football for CBS Sports since it was CBS SportsLine in 1998. He is one of only seven media members to attend all 16 BCS title games and has chronicled conference realignment... Full Bio
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

That's essentially what I said in one sentence...now for what's important for this thread.
HAS ANYONE HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT ANYONE ON THE RECRUITING FRONT?????
Polito

Post by Polito »

Crickets still...although as we all know they sure to be taking plenty of action. This staff is like a duck on water with recruiting...

Would love to have some news on the JUCO front, I like the guys they seem to be targeting there, some very good talent.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Saw we make an offer to an SG, Jaylen Richard, 6-4, just from his tape very athletic...Offer made yesterday, only other current offer Kennessaw St...not overwhelming.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID74 wrote:Saw we make an offer to an SG, Jaylen Richard, 6-4, just from his tape very athletic...Offer made yesterday, only other current offer Kennessaw St...not overwhelming.
don't they have 6 shooting guards already?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We are going for guys who have the initials JR
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

stuball888 wrote:We are going for guys who have the initials JR
then we will HAAVE to spell the names out (and not only use initials)