Media Thread

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Media Thread

Post by triplec2195 »

dutchiedoright wrote:Jay Wright had a losing record after 5 years here in a significantly lesser conference. He didn't make the tournament until his 6th year.

It's so easy for some of you to say the things you do because, odds are, every year, we are not going to win the conference. You know why ? Because its damn hard !!!

I, for one, support the team we have. I believe in them. I think they can win it all...........but know this, it is an incredibly difficult thing to do. There is no magic equation.

It takes skill, determination and luck, frankly. It also takes good people making good and difficult decisions, all the while representing HU with class and dignity.

I like us and am proud of who we are and what we do.
Dutchie nice post and good points u r making here. If it's so easy to win championships here there would be the same teams repeating year after year. Right now our conference is ranked 12th in the country out of 32 conferences and has been ranked as high as 9 in previous years without VCU,OD,GM AND Georgia State. Did I leave out anyone?? This conference is no push over and it's a shame that we can't get at least 2 bids into the dance. Polito get your passion and desire to get back into the NCAAT but don't overstate the obvious that this is easier said then done. We may have had some bad bounces in previous years when we lost that triple O/T game to W&M but this is not the cakewalk you have referenced in your previous post. Who wouldn't love to have a dynasty here winning every year but don't play the blame game assassinating the coaching staff. Why not place the responsibility on the players who are on the court playing the game?? When wide open shots r missed or easy layups is that the coaches fault. If a player doesn't box out or gets beat by the player he's guarding is that the coaches fault?? We're all sharing this same frustration but is the answer to have a fire sale and change the COACHING STAFF?? You know what u have but don't know what you're going to get!! Do u think we would be doing better with TP?????
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Dutchie I hear your you but lets see what has happened since we came to the CAA. With the tourney in Richmond the first tens years were dominated by ODU ,Mason and VCU. The later part last 7 years or so it was moved to Baltimore only to see Northeastern and delaware win. Now it is further south in Charleston where CofC will have home court advantage. In order for us to win we will have to be about 5 points better than the southern teams to win. reason Home court and officiating.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Dutchie I hear your you but lets see what has happened since we came to the CAA. With the tourney in Richmond the first tens years were dominated by ODU ,Mason and VCU. The later part last 7 years or so it was moved to Baltimore only to see Northeastern and delaware win. Now it is further south in Charleston where CofC will have home court advantage. In order for us to win we will have to be about 5 points better than the southern teams to win. reason Home court and officiating.
Stu I don't think anyone is going to take exception with home court advantage adding up to something but how did UNCW win the conference championship the last 2 years? I'll tell u they won because they had very good teams and I guess a very good coach Keatts who was able to trade up and go to NC State. R u saying that as a North Eastern team we can't win it? How did the team from Boston win?? I think u should give credit where credit is due the teams that have won championships won them because they deserved to win them period not because they were able overcome biased officiating. So far Hofstra has played better on the road then at home in this conference?? True?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Didn’t Notheastern win the CAA when it was in Baltimore That was the most northern venue for the CAA tournament I believe that’s also when DelawRe won also
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: THANK GOD the majority are with me on the 'times up' position. THANK GOD the majority expect more than just being in relative contention. My goodness there's only 10 teams and most years half of them are nearly identical lol - that's not a goal at all. But as someone said it IS a great attitude to have if you literally NEVER desire to go to the NCAAT.
You don't need to thank God for what fans think. If the candidate you voted for won Student Council President, would you thank God? If you won Employee of the Month, would you thank God? Thank God only for big things.
stuball888 wrote: Didn’t Notheastern win the CAA when it was in Baltimore That was the most northern venue for the CAA tournament I believe that’s also when DelawRe won also
Correct. No team from the America East has won a CAA Tournament in Richmond or Charleston. To be fair about the CAA Tournament location, the CAA wants to make money, and the location can be justified by attendance. So far this season the teams north of Virginia are averaging 1,598 and the teams in or south of Virginia are averaging 3,031, which is 90% more fans. I'd be satisfied with alternating between Charleston and Baltimore (or Philadelphia or Nassau Coliseum).
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:
Polito wrote: THANK GOD the majority are with me on the 'times up' position. THANK GOD the majority expect more than just being in relative contention. My goodness there's only 10 teams and most years half of them are nearly identical lol - that's not a goal at all. But as someone said it IS a great attitude to have if you literally NEVER desire to go to the NCAAT.
You don't need to thank God for what fans think. If the candidate you voted for won Student Council President, would you thank God? If you won Employee of the Month, would you thank God? Thank God only for big things.
stuball888 wrote: Didn’t Notheastern win the CAA when it was in Baltimore That was the most northern venue for the CAA tournament I believe that’s also when DelawRe won also
Correct. No team from the America East has won a CAA Tournament in Richmond or Charleston. To be fair about the CAA Tournament location, the CAA wants to make money, and the location can be justified by attendance. So far this season the teams north of Virginia are averaging 1,598 and the teams in or south of Virginia are averaging 3,031, which is 90% more fans. I'd be satisfied with alternating between Charleston and Baltimore (or Philadelphia or Nassau Coliseum).
Now u r talking let's get some games at the Nassau Coliseum. What kind of attendance would u get in the first few rounds??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:
EvanJ wrote:
Now u r talking let's get some games at the Nassau Coliseum. What kind of attendance would u get in the first few rounds??
As much as I would like to see the CAA tournament at the Nassau Coliseum it would be a tough sell. The Southern teams would not draw and Hofstra, unless we are prohibitive favs would not draw either...The place would not attract more than 2000 plus fans per session.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

How about a regular season game at the Nassau Coliseum - and we do it when we play say Northeastern and do doubleheader and Stoney Brook plays Binghamton (maybe over the winter break)
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

daHUPride wrote:How about a regular season game at the Nassau Coliseum - and we do it when we play say Northeastern and do doubleheader and Stoney Brook plays Binghamton (maybe over the winter break)
We can't even fill up the Mack; I don't think the draw of Nassau Coliseum would add any fans. Plus I doubt Stony Brook would give up one of its better home games to travel 35 miles away. The Hofstra Villanova game wasn't even close to a sellout with the #1 team and them closing off half of the upper level.
Polito

Post by Polito »

dutchie, good to hear from you, was wondering where you had been, hope all is well - a couple of things:

Agree, it is much easier as a fan to make demands and have high expectations than it is for the folks on the ground to execute. But that's the nature of things. Being the head honcho in anything is tough, often unfair, but that's just how it goes. The buck ALWAYS stops with the head guy. But I don't think fans should ever apologize for wanting the best for the program THEY support. The fans help pay their salaries in part - expectations are warranted.

The Wright example is inaccurate. Jay had a losing record his first 3 seasons. Then he put it together and the progression of results is clear and tangible:

19-12
22-10 NIT
24-7 NCAA
26-5 NCAA

THAT'S the kind of progression I expect. And that last year was WITHOUT Speedy. And those teams had NO depth - the dropoff in talent from starter to bench was horrific for both Jay and Pecora quite frankly. Was the AE easier? Yep. Did Jay ever have the top to bottom talent and depth JM does now? Nope. And Pecora's CAA was MUCH tougher than JM's, so it's all relative of course. The current CAA is without question the easiest to win it's ever been during HU's tenure here. This conf is ripe for the taking, and considering HU's talent level they should be at the top - and they aren't. That's coaching.

I too am very proud of the way this program handles itself and the student-athletes its built on. But it's not just about having no trouble-makers, it's also about success on the court, and I don't think it's fair to the FANS to keep excusing the lack of it, or the constant underperforming and unmet expectations.

The expectations, by the way, are BECAUSE of the strong recruiting this staff has done. They have repeatedly brought in talent - and when you have the best talent (which they DO), you are expected to win it all. And when you don't, again it's because of coaching.

And part of the reason why it's so 'damn hard' for JM to win the CAA and go dancing is because they haven't been able to produce a respectable D1 defense in 5 years. If this team played an OUNCE of effective D they would run through this conf to the NCAAT with relative ease. Once again, coaching.

You obviously have some sort of personal connection to JM/the staff, so you are backing them while ignoring the shortcomings. I can respect that, not knocking ya, that's a great relationship and I would want the same. I like these guys too and I want them to succeed - but IMO, which I have every right to have, is that you are being naive/blinded. As I've said for quite some time, and told one assist coach at the start, this staff has had it's time and it is now expected to win. My loyalty is to the PROGRAM above all else, period. And I'm proud of THAT.

Welsh was an exciting hire, I believe HU would have had very different level of success under him and his staff - a shame.
Polito

Post by Polito »

triplec, there's no question that Keatts was and is a great coach - he was a great hire for UNCW, just like many of the super hires from VCU. And he's proving himself even further at NC State. Man, if only HU could have that... I would GLADLY take making the dance and national noise every few years for a couple of real bad ones. WAY better deal than what we've traditionally had.

The CAA often has a lot of talent on most teams, that's why it's often a tough conf slate as many teams are often pretty evenly matched, so to me it's the coaching that makes the difference. Top coaches go dancing in the CAA. And the programs who have the star coaches w/P5 ability typically go on a run before leaving, and those schools benefit tremendously.

It's my dream for HU. As good and as evenly matched the CAA often is, the TOP coaches produce dynasties and OWN the conf during their time here. HU needs that - hasn't had it yet, and still doesn't - it will need to hire a true up and coming STUD coach w/a future in P5 to get there - and I hope they have the vision and the courage to make that hire next time around.

Evan, I'm not looking for a battle here, but I do no appreciate your comments - uncalled for, and inappropriate for this board. Please refrain from telling me or anyone else how/when/why to practice faith. I choose to give thanks to God in ALL things because that is my personal faith choice. Your opinion on that was not requested, and is completely irrelevant to me and this board.

This is simply not the place for that, so let's please not go there. Having met and spoken with you, I don't believe you meant harm, so I will simply say thanks in advance for honoring this request.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

OK I'm not sure what team people r looking at when they say " The current CAA is without question the easiest to win it's ever been during HU's tenure here. This conf is ripe for the taking, and considering HU's talent level they should be at the top - and they aren't. That's coaching. (Per POLITO) After JWF,EP who has been inconsistent and ROK who was scoring more in his sophomore year who are you guys referencing. ST who is a freshman for all intents and purposes and clearly plays like one at times. DB who until recently was a non factor except for his game against Stony Brook. While I agree we have some bodies(DEPTH??) TO COME OFF THE BENCH IN JR who's going to make an impact at some point but who's is a freshman and MR another freshman who's very inconsistent. JA is an experienced player and I like HS who at times has had solid numbers while getting limited minutes. If u want to compare this team to the last team with Juan'ya Green IMO there's no comparison YET!! Green could shoot was an assists machine and Tanksley also a shooter that could bang the boards. Bernardi a set up shooter who could bury the three if left open ROK who flourished with all these versatile players around him and Green feeding him. Then you throw in Denton Koon who was an above average player with a high basketball I.Q. WHO COULD ALSO SHOOT IT FROM BEYOND THE PERIMETER rebound, pass etc. This was a team who could burn you 1-5 AND A SHAME they fell a little short. Their only weakness was depth but a really good team as far as their starters were concerned. Our current team is a work in progress and too often lives and dies on miracle shots by JWF. Where would we be without all these miracle endings? I like this team when they are playing like the team that blew out Delaware or the one that had a good first half against the COC but not the team that was schooled at home by both Elon and NE. There are better teams in this conference then us but I think that doesn't mean we can't beat these teams and we have showed we can beat the better teams in this league on a given day. I think that if the insinuation is that we r underperforming because we have sub par coaching and should be the #1 team in this conference that I'm going to take exception to this theory. Look at the rosters of the top echelon teams in this league and honestly say we have more talent then these teams top to bottom. We have 2-3 very good players and maybe the POY playing for us that still is only three players after that mostly talented players that need experience.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

This years team has been winning on talent and effort alone. They play fundamentally bad basketball. They do not space the floor on offense, they do not move without the ball, their technique on defense is horrendous- they don't see the ball/plays develop, so they get picked ALL THE TIME. These are things good coaching can fix. Sorry, but I see it from the fourth row of every home game and it happens over and over!!! I think we have about 5 players with potential all- CAA talent. I'll say it again- they don't execute!

And this team is more talented than the Green/Tanksley teams, hands down!
Captain

Post by Captain »

Does anybody (long time posters) remember a poster (Jack?) who also wrote for the New York Times online edition. He moved to New Orleans.
Very opinionated guy who trashed Pecora for taking the money and leaving from Fordham. Regardless, this guy knew the Coach from the Niagara days and said beware, his teams didn't play good defense. Not too much has changed. I think we can agree that to have a meaningful season, basically, we will need to outscore other teams. We seem to have to earn so many of our buckets. It exasperates all of us to see so many easy, easy baskets for the opposition.
The second half of the CofC game became a virtual lay up drill. We have to make a better defensive effort. I don't expect them to suddenly start clamping down like some great defensive team, but we cannot continue to have games where we look like the proverbial Red Sea. I love the team and agree that we have the opportunity to win this thing with some tweaking. I hope the team gets healthy. (Angus, Wormley) That way we can have more bodies to play more aggressive "D" without worrying about anybody fouling out. I think we have 8 more conference games. This is crunch time. Show the league that you can play some decent "D" and go out and win this thing! It starts Thursday night!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

joeg1 wrote:This years team has been winning on talent and effort alone. They play fundamentally bad basketball. They do not space the floor on offense, they do not move without the ball, their technique on defense is horrendous- they don't see the ball/plays develop, so they get picked ALL THE TIME. These are things good coaching can fix. Sorry, but I see it from the fourth row of every home game and it happens over and over!!! I think we have about 5 players with potential all- CAA talent. I'll say it again- they don't execute!

Jeez, just think if we could execute like you say...we could be averaging 100 points per game....I guess 78 ain't enough. I for one like the way we play...up tempo, etc. that's what helps us get kids. I for one, don't what to see a rock fight. I remember those Moe Cassara days when the cheerleaders went in the stands until we scored, it sometimes took 10 minutes before they made a basket!

It's amazing to me how so many of you laud the "great coaches" in this League but take a look at Joe's record against them; we had won five in a row against Coen until last week.

As for this team being more talented than Green/Tanksley what are you smokin? That starting five was much better and experienced. Where we fell down was depth...we had none and Keatts used that to his advantage against us in the finals, pressing all game...finally Green gave out...still all he had to do is make those free throws at the end of regulation and we'd be champs and Joe is a hero...at least for a week if you ask Polito! :lol:
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
joeg1 wrote:This years team has been winning on talent and effort alone. They play fundamentally bad basketball. They do not space the floor on offense, they do not move without the ball, their technique on defense is horrendous- they don't see the ball/plays develop, so they get picked ALL THE TIME. These are things good coaching can fix. Sorry, but I see it from the fourth row of every home game and it happens over and over!!! I think we have about 5 players with potential all- CAA talent. I'll say it again- they don't execute!

Jeez, just think if we could execute like you say...we could be averaging 100 points per game....I guess 78 ain't enough. I for one like the way we play...up tempo, etc. that's what helps us get kids. I for one, don't what to see a rock fight. I remember those Moe Cassara days when the cheerleaders went in the stands until we scored, it sometimes took 10 minutes before they made a basket!

It's amazing to me how so many of you laud the "great coaches" in this League but take a look at Joe's record against them; we had won five in a row against Coen until last week.

As for this team being more talented than Green/Tanksley what are you smokin? That starting five was much better and experienced. Where we fell down was depth...we had none and Keatts used that to his advantage against us in the finals, pressing all game...finally Green gave out...still all he had to do is make those free throws at the end of regulation and we'd be champs and Joe is a hero...at least for a week if you ask Polito! :lol:
With you HUSID on this one and agree with the Captain who concurs with my previous posts on How we r forced to make high difficulty shots to score while our inept defense at times gives the other team easy layups. I think Joe is delusional thinking this team is more talented then the Green team in his senior year when we had all 5 starters averaging in double figures. We played better defense on that team also. I think the pieces of the puzzle fit a lot better and Koon was a huge addition. I have no idea what you see here other then JWF who's a super player that would make this team better then that team. I'm a bit shocked!!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Captain wrote:Does anybody (long time posters) remember a poster (Jack?) who also wrote for the New York Times online edition. He moved to New Orleans.
Very opinionated guy who trashed Pecora for taking the money and leaving from Fordham. Regardless, this guy knew the Coach from the Niagara days and said beware, his teams didn't play good defense. Not too much has changed. I think we can agree that to have a meaningful season, basically, we will need to outscore other teams. We seem to have to earn so many of our buckets. It exasperates all of us to see so many easy, easy baskets for the opposition.
Yea I remember him; I believe he was against joining the CAA and thought we would have been better to stay in the AEast.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: Evan, I'm not looking for a battle here, but I do no appreciate your comments - uncalled for, and inappropriate for this board. Please refrain from telling me or anyone else how/when/why to practice faith. I choose to give thanks to God in ALL things because that is my personal faith choice. Your opinion on that was not requested, and is completely irrelevant to me and this board.

This is simply not the place for that, so let's please not go there. Having met and spoken with you, I don't believe you meant harm, so I will simply say thanks in advance for honoring this request.
OK.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

This team has a lot of talent and this year coach is not getting the most out of them.

Do you really think we play up tempo? We score a lot because we have good three point shooters who can create a shot. We don't score in transition or on set plays. Teams that defend the perimeter give us trouble. We look like the Carmelo Knicks. Too much JWF isolation, not enough movement

And none of this has anything to do with defense. You don't defend you don't win, with very few exceptions. Offense and defense aren't mutually exclusive. Halfway through the league - we've got to get better. I still believe
Polito

Post by Polito »

still all he had to do is make those free throws at the end of regulation and we'd be champs and Joe is a hero...at least for a week if you ask Polito! :lol:
Ahhh, but see he didn't, so he isn't. Ain't them just the breaks. C'est la vie! This coaching staff has been average AT BEST in results. HUSID, you really want to look at his conf record?

5-11
10-8
14-4
7-11

He's 36 - 34 over his first 4 years. That is absolutely PUTRID for the talent this program has had. What exactly are we lauding here? Mediocrity? I don't get it. The one claim to fame so far is how many times he's beaten Cohen... :roll:

What the heck am I supposed to get excited about there? What are you seeing that = a staff that's getting it done? And I need a better answer than you like him, you have a gut feeling, or no ones been arrested.

triplec, I know what you're trying to say, but the reality is HU currently has the POY (top 10 in national scoring) and what will go down as one of the best post men of all-time for HU and the CAA. How should HU should not be expected to be at the top of this conf?

Name me ONE team in the CAA right now who has 5 for 5 starting studs? HU has 2 national ones, and 1-2 others who can be all-conf at some level, AND they have talented depth - AND they are not young, despite what some keep trying to say. But you think they should have MORE before having expectations to win?? lol, and I'm the one who should be following Villanova? :lol:

Not one team in this conf has a better situation than HU. Yet here we are... staring mediocrity in the face for yet another year. 5 years in and embarrassing defense continues to keep HU from elevating. And somehow this has nothing to do with coaching? Guys...c'mon.

And yes, I'll say it again: This is the easiest this conf has been since HU joined - the current CAA is a shell of its former self. JM doesn't have to deal with any of the VA 3 powerhouses or Keatts who all OWNED this conf. It's simply not as tough as it used to be. There is absolutely NO excuse for HU not to win. And for you guys who keep hyping JM, if you really believe that, then you should agree 100% that HU should take this conf hands down.

But I hear a lot of double-speak: "This staff is great, this team can win it all, you guys are nuts!!" vs "You guys are nuts if you don't know how nearly impossible it is to win this powerhouse conf, and have to deal with no support no admin no money blah blah blah - not fair to have expectations!"

Pick one - you can't have both. If this staff rocks and the talent is good enough to win, then it should, end of story. Enough with the excuses all the time. I know we ALL want this program to win, so I'm not looking to battle or bash anyone here - but let's at least have some objectivity instead of continuing to ignore obvious major issues that need to be addressed. NOW, not another 5 years from now.

And P.S. missing the dance Green's Sr year wasn't a "shame", it was a colossal failure. Gotta call it how it is folks. We can save the sugar coating for our kids pinewood derby or kindergarten dance recital. :P

HU has 2 of the greatest players ever to suit up - let's start demanding some results instead of constantly excusing the lack of it - word of the season:
ACCOUNTABILITY