Media Thread

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
The Shadow

Re: Media Thread

Post by The Shadow »

To Stuball888, I think you are correct. All the drunk coach, dorm thefts, suspensions, and bad publicity also do not happen to set back the MBB program.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Cards wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Ans as for 5 years it means plenty...this program is in a MUCH better place than it was 5 years ago...we are bitching about a program that has the best player in the League and we are in CONTENTION for a top finish. GIVE ME THAT EVERY YEAR?
i guess that's where we differ. It is absolutely not good enough for me. Anyone who is in the top half of this conference is in CONTENTION for a top finish and a shot at the dance. Everyone has different goals and expectations, but for me, I want HU MBB to be the year in year out leader in this conference. I want us to play well enough so that if by chance we don't with the conference we have a shot at an at large or at least at top NIT home game. i want to have regular season games with 4,000 fans at the Mack.

if this season ends the way it is currently going, and next season is a repeat of this year, my enthusiasm and my support for this program will clearly be diminished.

I still hope for the best.
I'm with Cards. It's 17 years and counting for this program. Being in contention every year is not good enough when you're 0 for the last 17 years. And I hope it's not the mentality of the coaching staff and program that just being in contention is good enough. They'll never win a damn thing with that mentality. I doubt that it is though. I know their goal is to cut down the nets..

And yeah we were damn close a few years ago, but you know what? They dominated the 1st half against UNCW and they blew the game. Once again because we had no depth and Green had his worst game. So if you are satisfied with that kind of "contention" then why bother following the program? They need to close the deal!

We should all want the same thing on this board, and that is to see HOFSTRA appear on the Selection Sunday show..
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

The Shadow wrote:There is an article in Newsday about Tom Pecora as a Quinnipiac assistant coach. Our old friend, Steve Marcus wrote that TP regretted leaving HU for the Fordham job eight years ago. So, I will ask the board members again, what do you think would have happened if TP had remained HU's coach?
Horrible decision by TP.. He left HU when he had the program in the best shape to win the CAA but he was obsessed with the A-10 and took the $$..

Chaz, Jenkins, Moore, Halil and GW as our starting 5 would have been a GREAT TEAM to watch. And I think they would have won the league. But as always, things never seem to workout for Hofstra. Who knew that would only be the beginning of our problems with what happened with Welsh and Mo after.. Joe brought us back to respectability which I am very thankful for, but 5 years in, we need to produce a title. We have the best player in the conference for the next 2 years. The clock is ticking.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

In some ways I dont blame Pecora for leaving. Was it a money grab, yes but there were other factors. If you remember it was right after rabinowitz dropped football after that two year study by nthe BOT. Yeah right if you believe there was a two year study I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn. He knew about Hofstra dropping football before even dave Cohen our football coach knew. He was spooked by not knowing what else Rabinowitz would cut out of the athletis dept. So he got out before anything else could happen
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Dooku25 wrote:
The Shadow wrote:There is an article in Newsday about Tom Pecora as a Quinnipiac assistant coach. Our old friend, Steve Marcus wrote that TP regretted leaving HU for the Fordham job eight years ago. So, I will ask the board members again, what do you think would have happened if TP had remained HU's coach?
Horrible decision by TP.. He left HU when he had the program in the best shape to win the CAA but he was obsessed with the A-10 and took the $$..

Chaz, Jenkins, Moore, Halil and GW as our starting 5 would have been a GREAT TEAM to watch. And I think they would have won the league. But as always, things never seem to workout for Hofstra. Who knew that would only be the beginning of our problems with what happened with Welsh and Mo after.. Joe brought us back to respectability which I am very thankful for, but 5 years in, we need to produce a title. We have the best player in the conference for the next 2 years. The clock is ticking.
Those 5 would have done damage - for sure! Not sure CJ would have amassed the points he end his career with - but man that starting 5 would have won games - for SURE!
I think TP recruiting of NY kids - would have given us a deeper squad then we have now - I think with leagues exodus of George Mason, VCU, ODU - we could have positioned HU and a TP as the leaders in the CAA, IF he'd stayed.
For many reasons - I dont blame him for leaving either. If this part is true - the problem I had with TP was when he left us and made disparaging comments about HU and the program when one of his assistant (Van Macon) wasn't hired to replace TP - that was like the little boy taking his ball home with him - so no one else could play. It is nice that TP can reflect about his regrets for leaving HU - all is forgiven in my eyes.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

stuball888 wrote:In some ways I dont blame Pecora for leaving. Was it a money grab, yes but there were other factors. If you remember it was right after rabinowitz dropped football after that two year study by nthe BOT. Yeah right if you believe there was a two year study I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn. He knew about Hofstra dropping football before even dave Cohen our football coach knew. He was spooked by not knowing what else Rabinowitz would cut out of the athletis dept. So he got out before anything else could happen
We also didn't have the upgrade basketball practice facility built - when TP was here.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Dooku25 wrote:
Cards wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Ans as for 5 years it means plenty...this program is in a MUCH better place than it was 5 years ago...we are bitching about a program that has the best player in the League and we are in CONTENTION for a top finish. GIVE ME THAT EVERY YEAR?
i guess that's where we differ. It is absolutely not good enough for me. Anyone who is in the top half of this conference is in CONTENTION for a top finish and a shot at the dance. Everyone has different goals and expectations, but for me, I want HU MBB to be the year in year out leader in this conference. I want us to play well enough so that if by chance we don't with the conference we have a shot at an at large or at least at top NIT home game. i want to have regular season games with 4,000 fans at the Mack.

if this season ends the way it is currently going, and next season is a repeat of this year, my enthusiasm and my support for this program will clearly be diminished.

I'm with Cards. It's 17 years and counting for this program. Being in contention every year is not good enough when you're 0 for the last 17 years. And I hope it's not the mentality of the coaching staff and program that just being in contention is good enough. They'll never win a damn thing with that mentality. I doubt that it is though. I know their goal is to cut down the nets..

And yeah we were damn close a few years ago, but you know what? They dominated the 1st half against UNCW and they blew the game. Once again because we had no depth and Green had his worst game. So if you are satisfied with that kind of "contention" then why bother following the program? They need to close the deal!

We should all want the same thing on this board, and that is to see HOFSTRA appear on the Selection Sunday show..
Dooku, no one said anything about "Being Satisfied," and what does 17 years have to do with this coaching staff? Don't ever question my loyalty to this program or my desire for it to going dancing. I guess I'm just more realistic than some of you guys.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

I still hope for the best.[/quote]

We should all want the same thing on this board, and that is to see HOFSTRA appear on the Selection Sunday show..[/quote]
Dooku, no one said anything about "Being Satisfied," and what does 17 years have to do with this coaching staff? Don't ever question my loyalty to this program or my desire for it to going dancing. I guess I'm just more realistic than some of you guys.[/quote]

I don't think anyone should question anyones loyalty on here - we are the few that ALL support this program for years and hopefully years to come - win or lose/good team or bad. It is obvious that we all spend time on here and that equals a degree of loyalty to the program. Because, for example, Polito and HUSID74 often differ in the expectations for this team and the program does not mean either one of them is more or less loyal to HU. When I read either one of these 2 guys I usually agree with most of whet they write - even when they have differing views - hahah.
The expectations of this program, as FANS = fanatics, also differs. There are times I wonder why lose any games - my irrational, over exuberant side;]. Then there are times when I know we are like every other program - we lose games we should win; where fans know more then the coach; injuries - it is all about being a fan.
My expectations for this team - in a ten team CAA - I dont think it isn't to much to ask for to expect to make the NCAA tourney 10% of the time. With the local talent, HU location - I'd think we should be dancing 15%. With the talent we've had I'd think we 'd be competing in the CAA championship 25% of the time.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

daHUPride wrote:i guess that's where we differ. It is absolutely not good enough for me. Anyone who is in the top half of this conference is in CONTENTION for a top finish and a shot at the dance. Everyone has different goals and expectations, but for me, I want HU MBB to be the year in year out leader in this conference. I want us to play well enough so that if by chance we don't with the conference we have a shot at an at large or at least at top NIT home game. i want to have regular season games with 4,000 fans at the Mack.

We should all want the same thing on this board, and that is to see HOFSTRA appear on the Selection Sunday show..[/quote]
Dooku, no one said anything about "Being Satisfied," and what does 17 years have to do with this coaching staff? Don't ever question my loyalty to this program or my desire for it to going dancing. I guess I'm just more realistic than some of you guys.[/quote]

I don't think anyone should question anyones loyalty on here - we are the few that ALL support this program for years and hopefully years to come - win or lose/good team or bad. It is obvious that we all spend time on here and that equals a degree of loyalty to the program. Because, for example, Polito and HUSID74 often differ in the expectations for this team and the program does not mean either one of them is more or less loyal to HU. When I read either one of these 2 guys I usually agree with most of whet they write - even when they have differing views - hahah.
The expectations of this program, as FANS = fanatics, also differs. There are times I wonder why lose any games - my irrational, over exuberant side;]. Then there are times when I know we are like every other program - we lose games we should win; where fans know more then the coach; injuries - it is all about being a fan.
My expectations for this team - in a ten team CAA - I dont think it isn't to much to ask for to expect to make the NCAA tourney 10% of the time. With the local talent, HU location - I'd think we should be dancing 15%. With the talent we've had I'd think we 'd be competing in the CAA championship 25% of the time.[/quote]

Completely agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cards

Post by Cards »

Of course there is no issue with loyalty. We all want the program to win. The issue is ACCOUNTABILITY. If the MBB goal is to win the CAA........well.....?????????
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... n-volume-2 says:

"Justin Wright-Foreman, Hofstra Pride: This 6-1 guard from Queens is an absolute scoring machine. He is a virtuoso with the ball in his hands. Not many scorers can do it when defended well, but Wright-Foreman makes the tough shots. And he does it over and over again. After averaging over 18.1 PPG last season, Wright-Foreman is putting up over 25.1 this season. He dropped 25 on No. 1 Villanova. Hofstra had Juan'ya Green a couple of years ago, and he was an elite passer. This guy is different. He can flat out fill it up."

He's one of 6 players in the "Don't forget how good we are" section. It was written four days ago.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Evan...real nice! Glad to see him get his just due...he has turned out to be areal find!
CyberSam2

Post by CyberSam2 »

Its my observation as a long term Hofstra fan/watcher that the very pleasant and capable Coach Tom Pecora left for a financial opportunity that he just couldn't afford to turn down. Fordham offered to DOUBLE his current salary to $600 M for five years,
a five year total of $3 millon bucks. Coach Pecora, a young man from Queens Village had to be overwhelmed so the decision
was pretty cut and dry.
Polito

Post by Polito »

GREAT discussion guys, love the feedback. And HUSID always makes great, knowledgeable, well-thought out points - he brings great levity IMO, a must around here. But that said:

THANK GOD the majority are with me on the 'times up' position. THANK GOD the majority expect more than just being in relative contention. My goodness there's only 10 teams and most years half of them are nearly identical lol - that's not a goal at all. But as someone said it IS a great attitude to have if you literally NEVER desire to go to the NCAAT.

Hiding behind being 'realistic' is for mediocrity. No thanks. Fold the program then. No need for any of us to waste our time, money, or energy supporting something that's going nowhere worthy of it. :roll: :? This isn't the ACC for goodness sake, there's no VCU, hell there isn't even a UNCW anymore - this conf is 100% winnable with proper coaching and talent. And it's RIPE for another program to step up, take it, and build a dynasty.

5 years is PLENTY. PLENTY. And yes, it means a lot.

I have no ill will to TP at all, and don't blame him one bit for going. He took the cash, just as he should have - coaching field is BRUTAL and short-lived, you take what you can while the iron is hot.

Now if I'm Fordham, I'm PISSED! LOL He literally stole their money - never had his heart in it, and was obviously just a money play. Pure theft! :lol:
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I was surprised that TP stated in the Newsday article that he did not speak to HU President Rabinowitz when agreeing to accept the Fordham position. All of this may be a large speculation, but I would like to believe that something might have been worked out. It seems so normal to at least try to get a counter offer. As Stuball888 stated, the ending of HU football in December 2009 and the concerns about the Athletic Department must have been the real reasons for the move (along with the large increase in salary).
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:GREAT discussion guys, love the feedback. And HUSID always makes great, knowledgeable, well-thought out points - he brings great levity IMO, a must around here. But that said:

THANK GOD the majority are with me on the 'times up' position. THANK GOD the majority expect more than just being in relative contention. My goodness there's only 10 teams and most years half of them are nearly identical lol - that's not a goal at all. But as someone said it IS a great attitude to have if you literally NEVER desire to go to the NCAAT.

Hiding behind being 'realistic' is for mediocrity. No thanks. Fold the program then. No need for any of us to waste our time, money, or energy supporting something that's going nowhere worthy of it. :roll: :? This isn't the ACC for goodness sake, there's no VCU, hell there isn't even a UNCW anymore - this conf is 100% winnable with proper coaching and talent. And it's RIPE for another program to step up, take it, and build a dynasty.

5 years is PLENTY. PLENTY. And yes, it means a lot.

I have no ill will to TP at all, and don't blame him one bit for going. He took the cash, just as he should have - coaching field is BRUTAL and short-lived, you take what you can while the iron is hot.

Now if I'm Fordham, I'm PISSED! LOL He literally stole their money - never had his heart in it, and was obviously just a money play. Pure theft! :lol:
If you know anything about the Fordham situation it is impossible for them to compete in the A10. If you know anything about TP he never would mail anything in...he is a real pro and gave it his all...try competing in a Conference with the worst facilities by far, the worst campus location and perhaps the highest academic standards in the League....Have Fun!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The Shadow wrote:I was surprised that TP stated in the Newsday article that he did not speak to HU President Rabinowitz when agreeing to accept the Fordham position. All of this may be a large speculation, but I would like to believe that something might have been worked out. It seems so normal to at least try to get a counter offer. As Stuball888 stated, the ending of HU football in December 2009 and the concerns about the Athletic Department must have been the real reasons for the move (along with the large increase in salary).
He and the AD Jack Hayes were oil and water, two very different personalities. Tom wanted more, Jak wanted his own coach...they both got what they wanted..LOL
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Jay Wright had a losing record after 5 years here in a significantly lesser conference. He didn't make the tournament until his 6th year.

It's so easy for some of you to say the things you do because, odds are, every year, we are not going to win the conference. You know why ? Because its damn hard !!!

I, for one, support the team we have. I believe in them. I think they can win it all...........but know this, it is an incredibly difficult thing to do. There is no magic equation.

It takes skill, determination and luck, frankly. It also takes good people making good and difficult decisions, all the while representing HU with class and dignity.

I like us and am proud of who we are and what we do.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To HUSID74, So it is AD Hayes that selected the Drunk Coach and Mo that led HU into the embarrassment that AD Hathaway and Coach Joe had to overcome. Why was Welsh and then Mo so appealing? Does anyone know who was also considered for the HU position besides Welsh and then Mo? What went into those two poor selections? Then AD Hayes leaves for Brown U as fast as he can. I hope the new AD can be as level headed and professional as AD Hathaway.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

The Shadow wrote:To HUSID74, So it is AD Hayes that selected the Drunk Coach and Mo that led HU into the embarrassment that AD Hathaway and Coach Joe had to overcome. Why was Welsh and then Mo so appealing? Does anyone know who was also considered for the HU position besides Welsh and then Mo? What went into those two poor selections? Then AD Hayes leaves for Brown U as fast as he can. I hope the new AD can be as level headed and professional as AD Hathaway.
I dont think anyone had a problem with HU selecting Tim Welsh at the time - Welsh had pretty good college coaching name and was a great communicator. Welsh also put together a really good young and experience staff - all of them with Big East experience - that I think would have recruited the hell out this area and CAA. When Mo took over - I think it was Mo (an asst under Al Skinner at BC) selected but was in competition for replacing Welsh with the other young recently hired assistants. The other coaches were DeMeo (asst at Providence/now coaching JC in Fla); Morgan (main asst at Syracuse/former HC at Iowa St) and Sellers (former asst at UConn now an asst at DePaul) - others assistants under Mo were Griffith (went to Dayton and recruited NYC for them and now at Syracuse).