Game 20 at College of Charleston: 1/20/2018 at 4:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Re: Game 20 at College of Charleston: 1/20/2018 at 4:00 P.M.

Post by Hofstra »

jaspegs wrote:If Gustys throws his hands behind his back one more time on a drive I’m going to lose it. How does Joe not get on him about this?
Said the same thing man.. WTF is that garbage. If anyone does advance scouting on us, which everyone does, all you have to do is isolate him down low, drive, and the layup is yours if you make it. That was pitiful today. I understand not wanting to pick up fouls, but at the same time, these are points we are just giving away.. Pathetic defense.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

College of Charleston became the third team since 2010-2011 to win a game with at least 76 points, 3 or fewer assists, and 3 or fewer three-pointers. The last time it happened was also in the CAA when Delaware won 76-69 at Towson on February 22, 2012. Delaware had 3 assists and 2 three-pointers that game. College of Charleston became the sixth team since 2010-2011 to have 3 or fewer assists and 5 or fewer turnovers. They're the only team to play in more than one of those games. Drexel did it in a 47-46 loss at College of Charleston on February 13, 2014.

Jarrell Brantley had his second career game without a rebound, and the first game was his fourth game as a freshman.

Edit: College of Charleston had the fewest assists by a Hofstra opponent since Manhattan had 3 assists at Hofstra on December 9, 2009. Hofstra won 44-39, so Manhattan scored 1 more than half of what College of Charleston scored. That was 265 games ago. Since 1983-1984, the NBA record for fewest assists by a team is 4, although NBA games have more points.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Hofstra wrote:
jaspegs wrote:If Gustys throws his hands behind his back one more time on a drive I’m going to lose it. How does Joe not get on him about this?
Said the same thing man.. WTF is that garbage. If anyone does advance scouting on us, which everyone does, all you have to do is isolate him down low, drive, and the layup is yours if you make it. That was pitiful today. I understand not wanting to pick up fouls, but at the same time, these are points we are just giving away.. Pathetic defense.
Rok is only a piece of the overall problem. How come all these guys have free untouched drives down the middle? Where the hell is the rest of the defense?? Its five on five and yet these guys are driving against Rok like its a one on one fast break. Our guys up top have to go back and pick up the shorts that they just got faked out of! Unless they are just lazy, but either way, the guys are driving into the paint untouched with no one on them. C'mon, A quick guard against a big man will win almost every time, and if Rok challenges them he might block a few shots, but he'll also turn into a Sabety (and foul out playing only 10 minutes). The defense up top was PITIFUL today. The guys underneath had no support.

We also fell apart at the FT line in the second half. If we hit a few more its basically a tie game down the stretch and the entire endgame strategy changes.

But JM will say "Hey, they're a good team and they hit shots and we didn't. They simply played tougher than us. But heck, its an away game, so it was a tough ask for us from the start."

Screw that - this was a winnable game. We caught CoC on an off day and let them back into the game and then handed it to them.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

FINISH - close out an opponent - simply as that - not that easy but thats what good teams do with a 9 point half time lead.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

I've never really complained about officiating in writing but that was ridiculous! Between our Swiss Cheese defense up top and Rok playing "statue" under the basket the end result was obvious. The Guards have to stop the damn penetration because Gustys and Sabety are pathetic as baseline defenders but they (guards) have no interest in playing defense. They are all physically challenged. You want to root your head off and yet you can get ill watching. Any defensive effort and (they were 3-17 shooting 3's) it's an easy W (although I'm not sure the refs would have allowed it)
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I have said it before. We cant keep anyone out of the paint. After a couple of dribbles our guards just stop playing D. Now lets get back to the refs. If you think its bad now just wait till the CAA tourney. Am I wrong but isnt the tourney being held in Charleston this year. Shades of VCU and Richmond.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Did the referees help VCU in the CAA Tournaments in Richmond? They won 5 out of 25 CAA Tournaments in Richmond with 1 of the wins before Hofstra joined.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Dooku25 wrote:I'm not even upset with the team's performance in the 2nd half. How can a team win when they have 28 personal fouls called against them??? One phantom call after another. There was 1 possession where Gustys literally let the guy drive to the basket untouched and they still called the foul on him. What a joke. But we've seen this for years with these refs in this conference so I'm not surprised at all.
When was the last time both of our centers fouled out?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Evan its still called home court advantage. Have you seen the calls down south. It is blatently biased.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wow a lot of people belly aching about the poor reffing in this one and I can't even put my two cents in since I didn't see the second half. I was originally thinking that it's just a bunch of passionate fans in sour grapes mode but even JM made a reference to all the foul shots and someone also said the game would have been tied if we shot a little better from the foul line. I'll be Evan for a moment between JWF and EP they hit 8 of 14 or 57%. I know without looking it up Justin shoots over 80% and EP in the mid to upper 70's. Let's be honest though this is not why we lost this game. We had an 18 point lead then 14 and we let them whittle that away to 9 at the half. A little deja-vu from last years 1st round game against Delaware where we had a 7 point lead at the half. I saw the latter part of the 1st half and it was already a preview of what they would be looking to do in the second half. If they can get easy layups why shoot it from the outside. I see a lot of posts about making defensive adjustments by the coaching staff. What happened in this game? Why weren't we backing off their guards and making them shoot from the outside? I saw us trying to give their guards no space in the first half and we kept getting beat with them blowing past us for somewhat uncontested layups. If they weren't shooting the three why didn't we force them to shoot it?? Again I ask questions about technical fouls and nobody likes to respond to these but why were all these T's called? Probably because the refs were letting the game slip away! Just some stats that jump out at me since I didn't see the second half. JR played 16 minutes but only took one shot and was fouled? Also with all the driving to the basket by the COC and the fouls called we as a team only had one blocked shot and it wasn't by ROK,ST,HS,JA. It was by DB. How about that for an ugly bit of statistics!!

We let a golden opportunity slip away with both Elon and Towson losing. Now our home games take on greater importance especially NE, Towson, W&M and COC!! Let's see if we can take care of business on our own home court!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

brantley and Riller had insanely efficient games. Riller was 11-13 from the field and brantley scores 33 points on only 14 shots. cant let that happen. I think the refs did let this game get away .Did they give out 4 or 5 techs. Thats a lot in one game.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Stu - i think you meant to say Chealey had 33.

Let us not forget, Brantley, who is one of their better players was out the entire second half with 4 fouls.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Brantley had a bad game with 6 points, and for the first time in 72 games he didn't have any rebounds. He went into the game with a career average of 7.7 rebounds. Riller was 11-14, not 11-13.

There were 2 technicals each, and they didn't affect the outcome.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

EvanJ wrote:Brantley had a bad game with 6 points, and for the first time in 72 games he didn't have any rebounds. He went into the game with a career average of 7.7 rebounds. Riller was 11-14, not 11-13.

I'd think Gustys getting a technical affects how he can play D. It can't be quantified but I am sure it allowed them more points then if he didn't have that foul.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
EvanJ wrote:Brantley had a bad game with 6 points, and for the first time in 72 games he didn't have any rebounds. He went into the game with a career average of 7.7 rebounds. Riller was 11-14, not 11-13.

I'd think Gustys getting a technical affects how he can play D. It can't be quantified but I am sure it allowed them more points then if he didn't have that foul.
I'll repeat my question I c the "T"'S but why is ROK being constantly rung up is it his mouth, player to player contact, attitude?? He's being rung up a lot and in a close game giving the other team foul shots and the ball back this could be the kiss of death.
    Even with Brantley having a bad game and no rebounds we lose. He's their second leading scorer. Stu u made the comment that Riller was efficient but seriously how many players are going to miss layups when most of them r uncontested. It's been our mo for a lot of our games that our inept defense gives up easy baskets and we need to score on shots that have a much higher level of difficulty. I don't think we can win when our second leading scorer only gets 10 points. Our defense is such that we win when JWF scores near his average and a mix of EP,JR, ST and now DB make solid offensive contributions. It appeared that ST made a decent contribution in this game but what happened to JR?? He takes only one shot in 16 minutes of playing time. EP only 8 points playing 36 minutes. There's no way we win with these offensive numbers!!
    Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Clearly not a good game for us whatsoever. The refs can definitely be blamed + poor defense all around = disaster. Hate to only be negative, so hoping that with the next game being at home the team can make a comeback.
    Cards

Post by Cards »

Roks technical foul - there was a loose ball and both Rok and a CoC player dove to the ground to get it. While they were both on the ground they were both fighting for the ball. Don't know why the foul was called, but it was a "T" on both players. It was a "T" where no FTs were taken - just a personal "T" on each player.
    fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

A missed opportunity indeed. In some ways reminiscent of the Auburn game. An unsustainable outstanding first half of offensive execution and shooting coupled with our all too sustainable failure to cut
    off dribble penetration or defend the interior. I blame this more on coaching than lack of effort or toughness. Top teams are invariable in position to take a charge or force an awkward pull up. For an individual
    this may be instinctive but team coordination needs to be taught.
    I have been a rabid viewer, supporter and fan of Hofstra athletics for 65 years now. Our best coach in any sport at any time was Butch VBK(1st time around); if your standard is getting the most out of what
    you have. If you factor in recruiting heavily as well, then it would be Tom Ryan.
    You could see his teams evolve and grow in cohesion and confidence during the season. They made it hard to bring the ball up, very little came easy for the opponent and we would get more steals and easy fast break points which are in short supply now. His teams were almost cocky because they knew what they were doing. This was true of the Lafayette team he brought in, which won the Hofstra Christmas
    tournament the year before he came and won it with Bill Thieben and co. and the Princeton teams with Bill Bradley that he took to the final 4 one year. My sr. yr. we were 23+1 " with no place to run". Our 1
    loss was to Wagner, I believe by a point, who had gone undefeated in conference play so we were shut out of the Div. 111 playoffs and the NIT which was almost as big as the NCAA's at the time didn't select us.
    triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:Roks technical foul - there was a loose ball and both Rok and a CoC player dove to the ground to get it. While they were both on the ground they were both fighting for the ball. Don't know why the foul was called, but it was a "T" on both players. It was a "T" where no FTs were taken - just a personal "T" on each player.
    Thanks for the info. Cards I'm always curious about T's and this has been a recurring problem with ROK who can't afford to pick up any additional fouls a contributing factor in his fouling out yesterday.
    HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Rok has been doing a much better job of staying out of foul trouble. He is usually by far the biggest guy on the court and seems to be targeted often....he should realize this and not plead his case to the refs which makes it worse.