Thursday night Delaware

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Dooku25

Re: Thursday night Delaware

Post by Dooku25 »

As many have pointed out, the PG spot is the key to the season. I was feeling good after the Stony Brook game about Buie. He played fantastic in that game but then fell off again.. until last night. If we can consistently get even half of last night's production from him, then this team is on it's way. I will remain cautiously optimistic about him. Need to see it again but the potential is there.

Always love blowing out an old foe like Delaware. Team was cranking on all cylinders last night. How about scoring 90 when JWF only had 15? Pemba played with a ton of energy last night. Glad to see him rounding back into form. And I'm becoming comfortable with the idea that Trueheart could be our starter at the 4 for the next 3 seasons. Hoping his progression continues.

Saturday is now a statement game. Hoping to see the team play with the same kind of hunger on the road as they did last night.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: BTW Evan now that your crystal ball is working let us know what it shows versus Charleston??
Charleston is undefeated at home with their closest game being 80-76 over UNC Wilmington last night. A team that was undefeated at home didn't stop us from winning at Towson. Charleston has played a worse schedule. Hofstra and Charleston have 11 Division I wins each, but Charleston has only 2 wins against the Top 3 RPI Groups compared to 6 for Hofstra. Charleston had double-digit wins over Towson and Northeastern; but has home wins against Siena, Western Carolina, High Point, and UNC Wilmington by an average of 8.25, and those four teams are all in the bottom half of the RPI. They allowed 87 in a loss at Drexel. They're 4-4 against Division I teams when playing 3 or fewer days after their previous game compared to 7-4 for Hofstra.
Thanks for the perspective on the game and yes u make a valid point about them playing a weak OOC schedule. However I wonder how the matchups will shake out. We know they have good players in Chealey, Riller and Brantley. 17.6ppg,15.8 and 17.2. Will JM try to get ST to slow down Brantley and hopefully stay out of foul trouble and will their big guy Harris give ROK problems like he has in the past if my memory serves me well?? BTW I kind of missed what was going on at the game yesterday when ROK was "T" UP. Does anyone know what that was about??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

BTW Evan put your neck on the chopping block and tell us what the line on this game will be??
Cards

Post by Cards »

Dooku25 wrote:As many have pointed out, the PG spot is the key to the season. I was feeling good after the Stony Brook game about Buie. He played fantastic in that game but then fell off again.. until last night. If we can consistently get even half of last night's production from him, then this team is on it's way. I will remain cautiously optimistic about him. Need to see it again but the potential is there.
I am with you completely Dooku. I would love for DB to be the guy, but we need to see more consistency. The talent and ability is there, just needs to be there on a regular basis.

I have said since the early games of this season that the teams fate completely lies in its ability to play consistently. They have enough talent to be successful. The history has been that we didn't know which team would show up for a game. As of late, it seems to be the better half of the split personality!

As other have said, Saturday's game will be a true test.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:BTW Evan put your neck on the chopping block and tell us what the line on this game will be??
According to Sagarin, Charleston should be a 4, maybe 4 and a half point favorite, and that's mostly due to the home court advantage which the site lists as 3.19 points.
Last edited by HUSID74 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yup pretty much what I thought.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195 wrote:
daHUPride wrote:Great game tonight - did a team in tonight!

DB was at his all time best - confident with his handle - give us that game every night.
JFW had a great GREAT night - stat wise he has played better - but he did NOT force his game and let others do their thing - a sign of a mature player.
EP and JR solid performances - EP followed few shots and was strong doing so; JR was nice nice.
Guards - our 4 guards 66 points / 19 assists / 4 steals.
Bigs - RG, ST, HS - nice solid games by one and all.

Brought 2 newbies tonight - great feedback; they'll be back - but complaints by them: our sound system and PA announcements - virtually inaudible (could not argue with them-couldnt even figure out what old timer they were honoring-think it was David Taylor, not sure - bad really BAD PA system. Next complaint our lack of quality score board with replays. Weak effort on Hofstra part not upgrading and getting with the times.

No complaints about this game from me though.
Really good points daHUPRIDE and you're right it took me a while to figure out it was David Taylor. We need upgrades here let them get some corporate sponsors which in this new climate created by the POTUS there's a lot of disposable cash profits. I don't know about everyone else but I'm fine with JWF scoring less taking less shots if the results are positive like last night. He's not a selfish player and his mindset is team first! Really good points made by everyone firing on all cylinders from assists to block shots and playing some D. Some exciting plays for the highlight show Sabety DUNK and the put back FLUSH by ST. I believe we r witnessing the evolution of this team into a championship type team with the finding of the right pieces of the puzzle in ST and JR and if DB can play anywhere near this level we could be a tough team to beat. It seems like it took some time to see it thru to fruition but we r looking at a good mix right now! BTW Evan now that your crystal ball is working let us know what it shows versus Charleston??
David Taylor was a big-time post player for us in the early 1980s. Where does he rank on our career scoring list? I can't find the MBB yearbook on the new website. Thanks.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: BTW Evan put your neck on the chopping block and tell us what the line on this game will be??
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/s ... 2018/team/ has the Sagarin. The first part would favor Charleston by 4 to 5 points depending on what component you use. The second part thinks Hofstra is the best team in the CAA and favors Charleston by 1 because they're at home.

In Charleston's last six games, they reached 80 four times, but scored 62 and 58 the other two times. They have only allowed at least 80 twice, at Wichita State (acceptable) and at Drexel (bad). Hofstra has 6 out of 10 regulars with a field goal percentage of at least .450 compared to 3 out of 9 for Charleston.

Hofstra had a .443 field goal percentage after the Manhattan game. Starting with Villanova, Hofstra has shot field goals .482 in their last 8 games, which is exact because they have 500 attempts. A problem for Hofstra has been steals by opponents. The CAA average is 47.2% of opponents' turnovers coming from steals by CAA teams. For Hofstra it's 58.3%, and I would expect that turnovers while play continues would make Hofstra allow more fast break points.
Jojogunne wrote: David Taylor was a big-time post player for us in the early 1980s. Where does he rank on our career scoring list? I can't find the MBB yearbook on the new website. Thanks.
Taylor ranks eighth with 1,818 points. If you e-mail EvanJ35@hotmail.com I will e-mail you the Yearbook if e-mail can handle a 17.1 MB file.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Awesome game all around. I think overall everyone played well. Buie killed it. Glad to see he is back to where he was in the past and looking confident.

Looking forward to watching Saturday. :)
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Jojogunne wrote:
David Taylor was a big-time post player for us in the early 1980s. Where does he rank on our career scoring list? I can't find the MBB yearbook on the new website. Thanks.
http://www.gohofstra.com/sports/2017/11 ... guide.aspx
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It was the largest margin of victory in the 35 CAA games this season.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

joeg1 wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:
Thanks, Joe. A quick look through the Hofstra Record Book shows that David Taylor (1979-83) ranks eighth in scoring, fourth in rebounds, and second (behind Greg Washington) in blocked shots. He led or co-led the team in scoring in each of his four years. A solid career.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Jojogunne wrote:
joeg1 wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:
Thanks, Joe. A quick look through the Hofstra Record Book shows that David Taylor (1979-83) ranks eighth in scoring, fourth in rebounds, and second (behind Greg Washington) in blocked shots. He led or co-led the team in scoring in each of his four years. A solid career.
I remember him in High School - Lawrence (NY) - he was a man against children. Those are some nice numbers from big DT - and more impressive are his Hofstra rankings.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Thanks, Joe. A quick look through the Hofstra Record Book shows that David Taylor (1979-83) ranks eighth in scoring, fourth in rebounds, and second (behind Greg Washington) in blocked shots. He led or co-led the team in scoring in each of his four years. A solid career.[/quote]

I remember him in High School - Lawrence (NY) - he was a man against children. Those are some nice numbers from big DT - and more impressive are his Hofstra rankings.[/quote][/quote]
I remember David Taylor attending Long Beach H.S. am I delusional??
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:Thanks, Joe. A quick look through the Hofstra Record Book shows that David Taylor (1979-83) ranks eighth in scoring, fourth in rebounds, and second (behind Greg Washington) in blocked shots. He led or co-led the team in scoring in each of his four years. A solid career.
I remember him in High School - Lawrence (NY) - he was a man against children. Those are some nice numbers from big DT - and more impressive are his Hofstra rankings.[/quote][/quote]
I remember David Taylor attending Long Beach H.S. am I delusional??[/quote]

You might be right - I might be the one with memory loss - but at least I didnt say "I remember it well."
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I remember HU recruiting DT and he was also recruited by Providence college and I'm sure A lot of other schools as well but after he signed he was forced to sit out a year by the NCAA. I don't remember the details but a lot of people here were disappointed. We had a pretty big void at that time after the glory years of the NCAAT teams!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195 wrote:Thanks, Joe. A quick look through the Hofstra Record Book shows that David Taylor (1979-83) ranks eighth in scoring, fourth in rebounds, and second (behind Greg Washington) in blocked shots. He led or co-led the team in scoring in each of his four years. A solid career.
I remember David Taylor attending Long Beach H.S. am I delusional??[/quote]

LB is correct.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:I remember HU recruiting DT and he was also recruited by Providence college and I'm sure A lot of other schools as well but after he signed he was forced to sit out a year by the NCAA. I don't remember the details but a lot of people here were disappointed. We had a pretty big void at that time after the glory years of the NCAAT teams!
It was Ohio State who took him right from under our noses in the Hofstra dorms. They stashed him at Pensacola College, a JC down in Fla. He hated it and came back to Hofstra...so in effect he was considered by the NCAA a transfer. Never forgot that he referred to that school as "Pepsi Cola" College!

And yes it was Long Beach HS