Game 17 at Towson

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Re: Game 17 at Towson

Post by Hofstra »

Although I might not be a true fan, I am thinking about making the trek to Drexel as its about an hour from the house. Anyone going down? Last time I went to Drexel, Carlos Rivera had like a 19 point play.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

cactus wrote: it's not the best put together team but i think they're the most talented team in the conference. i certainly give him credit for that.
Agree 100%. Top to bottom, we play the best rotation in the league. We don't always play the best. WE SHOULD WIN NOW!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:HU playing ok and up by 5 with less than 2 minutes left. HU plays like a high school team for the next 90 seconds and ends the half down by 5 :o
I guess this was the way I was feeling right before the half. We're just a terrible defensive team and its inexcusable that we constantly give up one uncontested layup after another. I watch the really difficult way we have to score whether it's acrobatic shots from JWF or just long threes off balance mid range jumpers and and then allow easy baskets on the other end. It pissed me off to the extent that I didn't watch the second half now shame on me after watching the highlights of what was a gritty tough come from behind win against one of the better teams in the league. I'm not in any way going to applaud our defense however we must have done something right to keep a good team under 80 points. I believe we gave up 43 at the half. I have been saying it for a long time that it's the changing of the guard and St has to get more minutes so he gets a start which is OK 20/20 hindsight but a 6'8" kid that can rebound, block shots and shoot beyond the perimeter is not something to waste. I'm going to continue to say that JR needs to replace our PG'S because we're getting zero from this position. Zero!! Although seeing the propensity for JR to pick up quick fouls one has to wonder if he started could he go an entire game without fouling out? Someone alluded to the fact that their play by play left something to be desired and it was ridiculous it seemed like every player for us had an alias. One particularly funny anecdote had Tareq Coburn subbing in for a few plays according to Towson's play by play team. I wonder why his name didn't show up in the BOX SCORE?? LOL
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Hofstra wrote:Although I might not be a true fan, I am thinking about making the trek to Drexel as its about an hour from the house. Anyone going down? Last time I went to Drexel, Carlos Rivera had like a 19 point play.
The last time I went to Drexel, their students were giving Rick Apodaca a very hard time.. But I remember the Rivera game. Talk about great comebacks. They were down 6 with like 20 seconds left and won.. That was a Bruiser Flint special.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Looks like we are becoming one of SportCenter's favorite teams with a 3rd appearance this season:

https://twitter.com/HofstraPride/status ... 4631202816
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Dooku25 wrote:Looks like we are becoming one of SportCenter's favorite teams with a 3rd appearance this season:

Gotta love how they acknowledge how many times we’ve been on this season, and show all 3 highlights. Can’t buy that kind of publicity! Major credit to our athletic department as well for getting this over to necessary people.
It’s just too bad that Sabety doesn’t get credit for that rebound.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: One particularly funny anecdote had Tareq Coburn subbing in for a few plays according to Towson's play by play team. I wonder why his name didn't show up in the BOX SCORE?? LOL
The only time I heard the announcer say Coburn, he corrected himself. It was horrible to say Wright-Foreman instead of Pemberton at least four times in a row. Can you imagine if Dwyane Wade got fouled by the Knicks, went to the free throw line, and the Knicks announcers repeatedly called him LeBron James? It's nice to be able to watch online for free, but a benefit of being on TV or on ESPN3 online is having professional announcers whose employers have expectations of the announcers.
Dooku25 wrote: Looks like we are becoming one of SportCenter's favorite teams with a 3rd appearance this season:

Before this season, I wonder when the last season was when Hofstra had more CAA games that got highlights on SportsCenter (2 so far) than CAA games on TV (0 excluding if we reach the CAA Semifinals).

Wright-Foreman is second in Division I in scoring behind Oklahoma's Trae Young.

Out of 21 CAA team statistics categories, here is how many each team leads in:

William & Mary: 8
UNC Wilmington: 4
Towson: 3
College of Charleston: 2
Hofstra: 1 (we barely passed UNC Wilmington in offensive rebound percentage)
James Madison: 1
Elon: 1
Northeastern: 1
Delaware: 0
Drexel: 0
Polito

Post by Polito »

I mean what can you say, this team has a propensity for intense wild miraculous heart palpitating finishes lol

No negative from me on this one, I've already accepted a number of things, so for me this was a super last second W against a good conf team on the road.

Love when a player has kahunas, and Ray certainly does. Can't be afraid to take big shots if you want to be a champion. I remember many a season where no one wanted to take the big shots, so it's awesome to have JWF and Ray at a minimum ready willing and able to take care of business when needed.

Super rebound, super assist by JWF, and a super situationally aware play by Ray to sneak up the court past his defender and get that shot off in time.

The ESPN coverage is truly incredible - don't think I've ever seen 3 major highlights in a regular HU hoops season, esp considering this team isn't undefeated or beating Duke etc. - but hey, keep it coming! Tremendous pub for the program and U.

JWF is cementing his mark as the next HU great, and Ray has the potential to follow right behind.

Solid rebounding, and some very good ball movement - active relatively crisp passing and players moving w/out the ball, which lead to mostly good looks the majority of the time down the floor. Won't mention D because I promised no negative for this game :D

Only caught parts of the game, so can't comment too much on the refs, but sounds brutal.

Some good things from Pemba, need him to continue to make a bigger impact and play at a high level - like what Trueheart is doing, some nice potential there with more development.

A good W - as always, take it and run.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

EvanJ wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: One particularly funny anecdote had Tareq Coburn subbing in for a few plays according to Towson's play by play team. I wonder why his name didn't show up in the BOX SCORE?? LOL
The only time I heard the announcer say Coburn, he corrected himself. It was horrible to say Wright-Foreman instead of Pemberton at least four times in a row. Can you imagine if Dwyane Wade got fouled by the Knicks, went to the free throw line, and the Knicks announcers repeatedly called him LeBron James? It's nice to be able to watch online for free, but a benefit of being on TV or on ESPN3 online is having professional announcers whose employers have expectations of the announcers.
With the exception of Northeastern the radio teams have been pretty weak this season. I think the W&M Crew was the worst. That game was tough to listen to.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

This team never gives up. It's been a very fun season.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Towson's announcer was bad, but at least they got good newspaper coverage. http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/coll ... story.html is titled "Towson men's home winning streak ends with 76-73 loss to Hofstra on buzzer-beating 3-pointer."
Captain

Post by Captain »

The Towson announcer made plenty of mistakes. Please remember that a one man broadcast is very challenging. If he had a non-speaking spotter/stat guy his job is a lot easier. I am thinking he is flying solo and that is tough.

Where you can really bitch is the incompetent 3 man ref team...I think they were awful! Hofstra beat Towson and the 3 stooges disguised as zebras.

The last 2 wins against JMU and Towson we were a bit lucky with some flawed opposing coaching. First, JMU should have fouled immediately to prevent the JWF three ball that sent the game to ot (and how about denying JWF the ball period).
Second, Towson needed to work the clock with the game tied, not take a 3 with 8 seconds on the clock. This way the worst case is they get to play ot with an HU team with real foul problems. So it's not just us that can screw up end of game situations.
However, it's like Al Davis (or was it Polito ) that said just Win baby Win!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Captain wrote:The Towson announcer made plenty of mistakes. Please remember that a one man broadcast is very challenging. If he had a non-speaking spotter/stat guy his job is a lot easier. I am thinking he is flying solo and that is tough.

Where you can really bitch is the incompetent 3 man ref team...I think they were awful! Hofstra beat Towson and the 3 stooges disguised as zebras.

The last 2 wins against JMU and Towson we were a bit lucky with some flawed opposing coaching. First, JMU should have fouled immediately to prevent the JWF three ball that sent the game to ot (and how about denying JWF the ball period).

Second, Towson needed to work the clock with the game tied, not take a 3 with 8 seconds on the clock. This way the worst case is they get to play ot with an HU team with real foul problems. So it's not just us that can screw up end of game situations.

However, it's like Al Davis (or was it Polito ) that said just Win baby Win!
I give the Towson announcer a pass - he was flying solo - and I knew who our players were.
Brutal-BRUTAL ref'ing.
Its funny I thought the same thing, teams not fouling at the end, hoisting up a shot with time on the clock- when another team makes the mistakes that gives us games-it never looks as bad when we commit the same offenses to lose a game. I guess thats just being a fan.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Agree, those refs were BRUTAL...they couldn't take a p----s without going to the monitor...if you read the Baltimore Sun story, always fun to hear the other side, the reporter asked Skerry about shooting too soon...he had a good answer..."We don't want one of our best players passing up a shot he thinks he can make."
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Captain wrote: First, JMU should have fouled immediately to prevent the JWF three ball that sent the game to ot (and how about denying JWF the ball period).
I read a study that said teams up 3 are better off not fouling. Fans see their team blow leads by allowing 3s but don't consider the fact that most of time teams don't foul. To evaluate which is better, you need to look at which strategy has the better winning percentage. You can't judge by counting how many leads were blown each way.
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

damn. lots of negativity for maybe the best win of the season.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUclassof19 wrote:damn. lots of negativity for maybe the best win of the season.
Agreed. Very encouraging win with many good performances

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUclassof19 wrote: damn. lots of negativity for maybe the best win of the season.
Towson's 99-73 win at William & Mary makes our win look great, and it improved Towson's RPI enough to make our win at Towson the only RPI Group 1 win by a CAA team. That's beating a Top 30 team at home, a Top 50 team at a neutral site, or a Top 75 team away.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

EvanJ wrote:
HUclassof19 wrote: damn. lots of negativity for maybe the best win of the season.
Towson's 99-73 win at William & Mary makes our win look great, and it improved Towson's RPI enough to make our win at Towson the only RPI Group 1 win by a CAA team. That's beating a Top 30 team at home, a Top 50 team at a neutral site, or a Top 75 team away.
Didn't we lose to W&M?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Pretty sure he means the win against Towson now looks even better due to their win over the little napoleons