Hofstra Players In 2017-2018 CAA Awards

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Hofstra Players In 2017-2018 CAA Awards

Post by EvanJ »

http://caasports.com/news/2017/11/20/me ... ov-20.aspx says Pemberton is Player of the Week, and it's not co-players.
Polito

Re: Hofstra Players In 2017-2018 CAA Awards

Post by Polito »

This is just the beginning. My salivating over him during recruitment was for a reason.

Kid has STUD written all over him. Go get it Pemba, make your mark young fella.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HU sweep this week! Congrats to JWF and Jalen Ray
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Congrats to JWF and JR!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Well deserved maybe JR destined to be the rookie of the year!!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Nice and well deserved for both JWF and Jalen!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I wonder if a team has ever had a Player of the Week, a Rookie of the Week, and a player (Pemberton) who averaged 22.5 points that week.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

JWF named POW for the second consecutive week!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

ProudofPride wrote:JWF named POW for the second consecutive week!
He's off to a great start! Hope he starts getting some more help, especially in the front court.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Nathan Knight won Player of the Week. Wright-Foreman averaged 30.7 points, 5 rebounds, and 5.3 assists. I'm not saying he did or did not deserve to win, but I wonder if a player had ever averaged at least 30 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists without winning Player of the Week.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Just win baby.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, agree HUSID.

All this individual reward stuff is fine and cool, and I love when HU guys play well enough to be recognized - and they should be. But this is ultimately about team results and making the NCAAT, period. Nothing else matters.

I'm good with the individual recognition when it results in team winning. When it doesn't, it loses it's luster.

This program is so focused on individual achievement it's becoming annoying and a bit distracting. And they are only doing that because there is nothing else bigger to promote.

Need to change that.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: This program is so focused on individual achievement it's becoming annoying and a bit distracting. And they are only doing that because there is nothing else bigger to promote.
When you have the third leading scorer and tied for the sixth leading rebounder out of 351 teams, I can't blame Hofstra for promoting individual achievements. It would be great if Hofstra was 12-4 and could promote that also, but would you rather Hofstra promote individual achievements or nothing? Gustys has the most rebounds by a CAA player who wasn't an NBA Hall of Famer, with a chance at passing David Robinson.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Let's not get carried away- they are very nice players who would likely start anywhere, but they are not Jordan and Rodman- or even Brunson and Spellman at Nova! Often at the mid-major level, players put up gaudy numbers because of a lack of balance. I'm sure both would love to win more and compile less.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

If u have it flaunt it and HU is doing the right thing by promoting their stand out players. If JWF had another year of eligibility and was going to transfer let's say as a graduate student schools would be lining up to get his services don't anyone kid yourself. He would be the starting shooting guard at a major school. RG also would get some attention as a stud rebounder even though will all know he has flaws in his game. I would take Team achievements anytime over individual accomplishments but u have to deal with what u have.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

triplec2195 wrote:If u have it flaunt it and HU is doing the right thing by promoting their stand out players. If JWF had another year of eligibility and was going to transfer let's say as a graduate student schools would be lining up to get his services don't anyone kid yourself. He would be the starting shooting guard at a major school. RG also would get some attention as a stud rebounder even though will all know he has flaws in his game. I would take Team achievements anytime over individual accomplishments but u have to deal with what u have.
Kinda what I said - they'd start anywhere. They are great players in the CAA, might not be stars in the P5. We're 2-2. Let's rally and make the team the story.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Listen, I said I'm all for great play being recognized at the individual level - I love when HU players deserve the kudos, and they should get it if they earn, which these 2 have.

My point was, it's the only thing that I see getting promoted because the team is lackluster, and that's not what I want to see. And their individual accomplishments does not make up for it

I want to see all this individual greatness translate to some actual TEAM winning and postseason play.

I won't go too deep into whether each would start for a P5, but my gut is JWF would have a great shot (def no guarantee), RG not as much. Both would probably first off the bench at a good P5 - 6th man type, which is no knock on them - just more a nod to the next level talent P5's routinely bring in and have waiting in the wings. All you need to do is look at the CAA stars who moved on and barely made an impact to know the same is likely for those 2 in the same situation. Canyon Barry didn't start for UF, and Bryce likely won't start for NC State next yr unless they lose a ton to the NBA. It's just another level.

Alas, coming to a place like HU allows guys like that who would be borderline elsewhere to be STUDS, develop their game, make a name for themselves, and help elevate to a pro career somewhere. Very thankful both chose to suit up for the Dutch!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I know Canyon Barry got plenty of playing time at Florida and my recollection is that they were a top 20 team. I don't remember him being a stand out player in the CAA. I know he was a good player but stand out?? Also case in point I believe the o/s player for Drexel years ago( hope I don't have the schools wrong) transferred and was the leading scorer for Louisville, Damion Lee. Imagine JWF with serious talent around him!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Barry became a standout player his junior year at College of Charleston when he averaged 19.7 points. He averaged 11.4 points in 21.3 minutes with Florida.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:I know Canyon Barry got plenty of playing time at Florida and my recollection is that they were a top 20 team. I don't remember him being a stand out player in the CAA. I know he was a good player but stand out?? Also case in point I believe the o/s player for Drexel years ago( hope I don't have the schools wrong) transferred and was the leading scorer for Louisville, Damion Lee. Imagine JWF with serious talent around him!!
Speaking of CAA transfers....Terrell Allen CAA/Drexel transfer - and son of HU alum Leroy Allen - getting major minutes/nice stats starting PG for coach Johnny Dawkins at UCF.