MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by Cards »

Polito wrote:I mean that's great for 1-2 players in every class, but that's not how you fill an entire class - it's super late and as usual HU has NO ONE committed - and I'm doubtful anyone is even close still - I have been a fan of their recruiting over the years so I should and will put some faith they'll get it done, but it would be naive to not be concerned about this loss and the overall trend of last minute prayer recruiting
In general, I agree Polito. That being said, the highest priority needs last year were to get a PG and PF - guys who could make an immediate impact. I thought JA could be an impact player for us, but it is clear that he has no legs and cannot be a significant contributor. No need to discuss KW. So basically these two recruits were a bust. Very poor recruiting results to fill these huge needs. And its not like there was no track record on these guys to see. JM and staff had to know what they were getting - and in the end we were fed a line of BS on these guys.

JR was a very good get, and I think MR will (over time) prove himself a good recruit as well. But in the grand scheme of things, last years recruiting class was a disappointment!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Let’s face it those recruits that sign early are generally better than those who sign late. There is a reason they were not signed. Not saying Ll late signees are busts but like men in the dating scene. All the good ones are snapped up early what you generally have in late signees are leftovers
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:Let’s face it those recruits that sign early are generally better than those who sign late. There is a reason they were not signed. Not saying Ll late signees are busts but like men in the dating scene. All the good ones are snapped up early what you generally have in late signees are leftovers
Not necessarily, there a a lot of kids who sign later; they may need grades, take a test, can't decide, etc. Take a look at the Verbal Commits Top 100...you'll see.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Compare early signees to the late ones Generally the early ones are better players. Never said all late signees are worse but the majority
Polito

Post by Polito »

There is certainly talent to be had in the late season, however, the pickins get slimmer for sure.

I agree fully with having 1 scholly ready to use in that scenario basically every season.

I completely disagree with the staff using this strategy to fill EVERY position. That is just foolish, and mark my words, it will bite them in ass more and more.

And I don't want to hear it's not their fault - nearly every other CAA program has verbals by now, most have multiple. And they are all landing just as good quality considering how well and close every friggin game is.

HU is simply behind, AGAIN.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Coburn the #13 ranked H.S. player out of NY IN HIS SENIOR YEAR in 2016 ACCORDING TO ESPN. The scouting report on him is; Strengths:
A wiry and versatile lefty swingman with a lot of game, Coburn has the potential to develop into a very impactful mid-major player down the road. He's only been playing the game for a few years but has a soft touch on his jumper out to the three-point line. You can read into this any way you like but I don't think u r looking at a PG. This isn't rocket science you can't tell me with all the ballplayers around that we can't find a decent PG out there. DB was the #1 ranked PG coming out of NYC What happened?????????????????? This guy was the perfect fit and compliment player to JWF. It's far harder to find a 4 or 5 then find a 1 IMO. What gives here??
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec - thanks for the info
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Cards wrote:
Polito wrote:I mean that's great for 1-2 players in every class, but that's not how you fill an entire class - it's super late and as usual HU has NO ONE committed - and I'm doubtful anyone is even close still - I have been a fan of their recruiting over the years so I should and will put some faith they'll get it done, but it would be naive to not be concerned about this loss and the overall trend of last minute prayer recruiting
In general, I agree Polito. That being said, the highest priority needs last year were to get a PG and PF - guys who could make an immediate impact. I thought JA could be an impact player for us, but it is clear that he has no legs and cannot be a significant contributor. No need to discuss KW. So basically these two recruits were a bust. Very poor recruiting results to fill these huge needs. And its not like there was no track record on these guys to see. JM and staff had to know what they were getting - and in the end we were fed a line of BS on these guys.

JR was a very good get, and I think MR will (over time) prove himself a good recruit as well. But in the grand scheme of things, last years recruiting class was a disappointment!
Who are KA and JW? Can we please use last names??? They're not hard to spell.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Guys for a moment step away from being Hofstra fans and become a parent of a recruit. There are many factors going into a recruits decision as to which school he chooses to attend. Academics, Location,Playing time, Facilities, and yes even social life on campus. Afterall this is where you will be living for the next four years.
I have no idea what Weber States academics are like so maybe someone can fill me in.
Location, two are in a urban setting while Weber State is in the mountains.
From What I understand this recruit came from a very small town or hamlet in Lithuania.
Playing time Hofstra probably has edge over the other two.
facilities, sorry no contest with Weber state.
Social Life- is he a skier or does the campus and location lends itself to him being more comfortable.
Last but not least (i didnt include it in my first few sentences) is the recruiting process
When I spoke to Brian Bernardis parents and Brian himself I asked why he chose SMU to begin with over Hofstra. he said it was Larry Brown who blew them away.
Guys have I missed anything?
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

I have not been following the recruits pages too closely. Who have we recruited (actually accepted) so far?

Thks
Cards

Post by Cards »

bobe13 wrote:I have not been following the recruits pages too closely. Who have we recruited (actually accepted) so far?

Thks
Thanks for distilling the issue down to its simplest form. The simple answer to your question is NO ONE. Unlike most of our competitors (who have multiple or at least one commitment), we have none.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:triplec - thanks for the info
No problem cards!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

bobe13 wrote:I have not been following the recruits pages too closely. Who have we recruited (actually accepted) so far?

Thks
Spend some time bobe looking around ;
Hofstra - Verbal Commits
www.verbalcommits.com/schools/hofstra
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Guys for a moment step away from being Hofstra fans and become a parent of a recruit. There are many factors going into a recruits decision as to which school he chooses to attend. Academics, Location,Playing time, Facilities, and yes even social life on campus. Afterall this is where you will be living for the next four years.
I have no idea what Weber States academics are like so maybe someone can fill me in.
Location, two are in a urban setting while Weber State is in the mountains.
From What I understand this recruit came from a very small town or hamlet in Lithuania.
Playing time Hofstra probably has edge over the other two.
facilities, sorry no contest with Weber state.
Social Life- is he a skier or does the campus and location lends itself to him being more comfortable.
Last but not least (i didnt include it in my first few sentences) is the recruiting process
When I spoke to Brian Bernardis parents and Brian himself I asked why he chose SMU to begin with over Hofstra. he said it was Larry Brown who blew them away.
Guys have I missed anything?
Stu all true lots of factors in determining where a recruit will choose at the end of the day but don't u think when u r talking about a Larry Brown compared to anyone at Hofstra that's going to tip the scales in favor of SMU. They had been a top 25 program for a while now even after Brown left. I don't know where they're ranked right now though?? Larry Brown is a household name he's won championships in both COLLEGE AND THE NBA. This is a no brainer but look where BB wound up at the end of the day where he was a starter and a star. Do u want to come off the bench getting 10-15 minutes or do u want to start getting substantially more minutes. You only go around once in college. Just a footnote Brian's dad used to sit behind me at the Mack and I had the opportunity to talk with him and he wasn't a big fan of a lot of the goings on at HU re the basketball program.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Cards wrote:

Thks
Thanks for distilling the issue down to its simplest form. The simple answer to your question is NO ONE. Unlike most of our competitors (who have multiple or at least one commitment), we have none.
Thks Cards
Polito

Post by Polito »

I would LOVE to hear some of those thoughts you gleaned from BB's dad triplec - maybe a PM or a chat at a game sometime...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes Polito we should do it one night hopefully during a win! Most of the time I listened to him venting on Brian's shots and questionable selection of some.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Oh so it wasn't him knocking the program pre se...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Well yes it was him knocking the program without a doubt and other players that he expressed his opinions about. He knocked his son more then anything else let's say constructive criticism! He was negative on the way some players weren't developed here especially post players and had some comments about a certain player that I thought should of had playing time but didn't and now that player is no longer here. Inside info. if u will.
CyberSam2

Post by CyberSam2 »

As Jojo requested previously (twice) would appreciate all players NAMES should be spelled out fully - not just two initials.
Jojo is ABSOLUTELY correct and would be very proper and considerate.