Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Game 16 - Elon

Post by Jojogunne »

Can we win three in a row?
HUSID74

Re: Game 16 - Elon

Post by HUSID74 »

Tough match for us, at least it was last year as we lost both...different year, different team for us as they have the same starters from last year....looks like we've favs by around 5 or so points but we all know that it means nothing with this team.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

It's all about how u match up with a given team. They just lost to NE by 12. They r beatable they play together and have a nice balance of guys scoring with nobody standing out. Santa Ana hurt us last year. We need to make sure nobody goes wild offensively in this game getting in the 20's scoring and figure out how we're going to contain Seibring. Big guys that shoot it from the perimeter need to get special attention. Will JM try and match up ST on TS or will he just see how Joel plays D on this guy. All our games r close so I look for another close game and being at home we need to win. I hope they use JR early and often in this game.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://static.caasports.com/custompages ... m#team.ind has Elon's statistics. Their three leading scorers (Dainan Swoope, Tyler Seibring, and Dmitri Thompson) combine to shoot three-pointers .405. The rest of their team shoots three-pointers .290. They have six players averaging at least 23.0 minutes who have played 84.8% of Elon's minutes, with other players averaging 31.8 minutes. To compare, the six Hofstra players with the most minutes have played 77.1% of the minutes, with other players averaging 46.1 minutes.

http://gohofstra.com/news/2018/1/6/mens ... unday.aspx is Hofstra's preview.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... game16.pdf is Hofstra's Game Notes.

http://elonphoenix.com/news/2018/1/6/me ... unday.aspx is Elon's preview.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... _Notes.pdf is Elon's Game Notes.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So based on the above stats and for both teams its safe to say that this has the makings of another nail biter!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Over/Under is 148, which is a little higher than the Over/Under of 145.5 for all of today's games. I would bet Over. Last season the games had 154 and 176 points.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

wheres DB?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Congrats to JWF on scoring his 1000th point! Have we ever had 2 games in a row before now where players hit the 1000 point mark?

Rokas Gustys has 16 rebounds in the first half. Elon's entire team has 16 total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Yet we still trail 35-33 need to pickup pace in second half We got off to another slow start
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Elon is up 10 4 minutes into the second half, and they haven't missed a shot yet this half (6-6). We've made 0 adjustment so far.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Every season we have a game like this. Need to brush it off and move on to Towson Thursday night. Rok and JWF had wild numbers today. Wish we would have won so they would have stood out a bit more.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

daHUPride wrote:wheres DB?
He was sick; wasn’t even at the arena.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra missed 51 field goals, which is their most since they missed 54 at Massachusetts on December 20, 2008. It was Hofstra's most missed field goals at home from 2005-2006 on.

Wright-Foreman's 39 points are the most by a Hofstra player in regulation since Hofstra joined the CAA. Jenkins scored 38 in regulation and 2 in overtime. It was the most points by a Hofstra player at home since Claxton scored 40 in an 81-72 win over Hartford that was probably in January 2000 looking at what game number it was within the season.

Wright-Foreman tied Hofstra's record with 16 three-pointers attempted, and that was by Agudio at UNC Wilmington in an 80-69 double overtime win on January 3, 2007. Unfortunately I can't find play-by-play to know how many three-pointers Agudio attempted in overtime.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We give up 89 points. But here is something that still gnaws at me. JWF scores 39 and has 5 boards and 6 assists and Gusty with 23 boards and we lose by 13 at home. We have 28 field goals and only 8 assists while Elon had 31 field goal and 19 assists. We played 9 players but only 5 scored. Offense again too much one on one
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Ha - Me too!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Ha - Me too! Thats why I was MIA today.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

stuball888 wrote:We give up 89 points. But here is something that still gnaws at me. JWF scores 39 and has 5 boards and 6 assists and Gusty with 23 boards and we lose by 13 at home. We have 28 field goals and only 8 assists while Elon had 31 field goal and 19 assists. We played 9 players but only 5 scored. Offense again too much one on one
Pretty simple. We dont guard anyone. Defense flat out sucks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wright-Foreman's 34 field goal attempts are the most by a CAA player other than Hall of Famer David Robinson.

The Massachusetts game I mentioned was 302 games ago.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

joeg1 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:We give up 89 points. But here is something that still gnaws at me. JWF scores 39 and has 5 boards and 6 assists and Gusty with 23 boards and we lose by 13 at home. We have 28 field goals and only 8 assists while Elon had 31 field goal and 19 assists. We played 9 players but only 5 scored. Offense again too much one on one
Pretty simple. We dont guard anyone. Defense flat out sucks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Elon - passed the ball, moved without the ball and set screens - no way do we have the ability or sets to cover a team like that. Honestly - at one point while watching the game it looked like we were playing a pickup game
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
I don't want to be mean but that probably was a good thing. I thought HU played there best basketball when early on they took out KW and JA. They brought in JR and ST. This was a few minutes into this game to the best of my recollection. I don't have stats in front of me as I vent. I'm generally not at a loss for words but very disgusted after having to watch this debacle. I thought we got a real pickup from JR after he hit a couple of 3's and then scored again. He was on a roll with 8 points but that apparently THAT was all he had. He got carried away taking shot after shot with some of those shots clearly not good ones. ST scored and played decent defense with a block and some rebounds. It must have been a bad OMEN when Elon's last shot banked home for a 3 point advantage going into the half. I thought the 1st half was even although Elon was the benefactor of easier shots with better offensive sets. This was a tale of two halfs as Their 6'8" guy realized he was in the game and hit uncontested 3's fro the top of the key. This was the beginning of the end and it got worse from there. I said to my b/i/l JWF could score 40+ in this game and its not going to mean s......... They rained 3's on us and didn't really see much defensive resistance seemingly able to score at will. EP seized the moment in the second half and started to press his offense on Elon and I liked his aggressiveness in the second half unfortunately it was a too little too late scenario. Our coach at his wits end decided he had tried everything in this game other then begging Speedy to suit up did the unthinkable and put our two bigs in the game at the same time. You know this game was out of hand when u saw this and desperation didn't help our cause. I thought together they didn't bring much if anything to the mix. I'm not sure at what point in the game Joe decided to put KW back in the game and quite honestly for all his minutes a no point contribution I couldn't come up with one redeeming factor of him being in the game. Total and utter disgust at him being on the floor. I'll repeat myself again JR should be starting on this team. He at least contributes on the offensive side and plays his butt off on defense. Kudos to ROK for the most part a solid tough game for him even though he missed his usual chip shots. JWF tried his best to take the game over but the hole was too deep!!!! With regrets after having to watch this one!!!!!