WRHU

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

WRHU

Post by triplec2195 »

I'm going to re-open this topic because I've become increasingly annoyed not being able to get a pre game preview of the game on my way driving to HU and after the game is over especially on exciting game finishes no post game. I used to enjoy this going home in the car now I find them broadcasting the Islanders. I have nothing against the Islanders but miss the pre and post game broadcasts. What's the current story with this? Can someone get me current on the present situation with this boondoggle!
HUSID74

Re: WRHU

Post by HUSID74 »

The other issue is that our games are never listed in the newspapers because they only list games that are being broadcast.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195 wrote:I'm going to re-open this topic because I've become increasingly annoyed not being able to get a pre game preview of the game on my way driving to HU and after the game is over especially on exciting game finishes no post game. I used to enjoy this going home in the car now I find them broadcasting the Islanders. I have nothing against the Islanders but miss the pre and post game broadcasts. What's the current story with this? Can someone get me current on the present situation with this boondoggle!
It's all about money.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

It's not ALL about the money. The opportunity for the students to say that they produced an NHL game on the radio is invaluable as they move forward in their careers. Every college radio station in America can say they did NCAA basketball. Literally one college radio station can say they do a big 4 sport.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

They do produce coverage of all the games...digitally...why don't they get it listed in newspapers...could they do a Sirius station...the content is there...it just needs to be leveraged with other distribution channels.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraHockey wrote:It's not ALL about the money. The opportunity for the students to say that they produced an NHL game on the radio is invaluable as they move forward in their careers. Every college radio station in America can say they did NCAA basketball. Literally one college radio station can say they do a big 4 sport.
That sounds like a good point.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

With that said I see no reason why basketball games cant be broadcasted on WBAB 1440 AM We have done that in the past.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Even if the games were up on one of those radio apps so we can get the broadcast on our mobile devices...I know I sometimes listen to WFAN through the TUNE IN radio APP.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID74 wrote:Even if the games were up on one of those radio apps so we can get the broadcast on our mobile devices...I know I sometimes listen to WFAN through the TUNE IN radio APP.
Hofstra has the WRHU app to listen to the games. It has two channels; one that plays the regular radio and the HAWC which will play the games that aren't being played on the regular radio. (For example if the islanders are on WRHU then the basketball game will be on HAWC).
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

WRHU has another complication because of the LI Nets home games broadcast from the Coliseum. This may occupy the HAWC link on the WRHU home page when both the LI Nets and NY Islanders are on during a MBB or WBB game. For one of the recent MBB HU away games, I had to search around the renovated GoHofstra website to get the link to the WRHU commentators. Most people are not aware that the local radio broadcasts of Seton Hall and St. John's MBB are on various AM radio stations(770, 970, 570) because these colleges buy the radio time. I am not sure how the local broadcasts of Rutgers, Syracuse, Army and Notre Dame football in the fall. or the broadcasts of RU and SU MBB in the winter are paid for. Newsday does not list the broadcasts of any of the local games available on internet sites. You really have to search around the colleges websites to find them.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Again how expensive would broadcasting a few games on WBAB be
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I have no idea what the costs of airtime on the various stations would be. I do understand that you then try to sell time for advertising during the breaks in play to try to get back the cost of production.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Shadow wrote: Most people are not aware that the local radio broadcasts of Seton Hall and St. John's MBB are on various AM radio stations(770, 970, 570) because these colleges buy the radio time.
College sports aren't popular in the New York City area. It really shows a lack of fans if Big East teams need to buy radio time. I don't know this for sure, but I would think UCLA and USC would be popular enough in Football, Men's Basketball, and maybe other sports to be on the radio without buying time. I wonder where New York City ranks among big cities in TV ratings for the College Football Playoff and NCAA Tournament. My guess is near the bottom. In Fall 2015 TV market populations, New York had 19.7 times the population of Omaha where Creighton is. So far this season Creighton's average attendance is almost triple St. John's.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

The Elon game wasn't broadcast on the WRHU app. the main station was playing music and the HAWK station was static. No idea why a home game wasn't broadcasted on our station over music.
Last edited by Pride97 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Pride97 wrote:The Elon game wasn't broadcast on the WRHU app. the main station was playing music and the HAWK station was static. No idea why a home game wasn't broadcasted on our station offer music.
That's the problem. You never know WHERE to find a game broadcast...and people wonder why the program doesn't have much of a following.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HUSID74 wrote:
Pride97 wrote:The Elon game wasn't broadcast on the WRHU app. the main station was playing music and the HAWK station was static. No idea why a home game wasn't broadcasted on our station offer music.
That's the problem. You never know WHERE to find a game broadcast...and people wonder why the program doesn't have much of a following.
If you want just the audio broadcast, I've found the easiest way to listen is through Pride Productions (http://portal.stretchinternet.com/hofstra/) I gave up using the WRHU website/app, since as people are reiterating here, they are inconsistent. Just click on the audio link instead of video, and it's pretty much the same as if you were listening to the radio broadcast. It brings you right to the game without having to find where it's actually being broadcasted from.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

ProudofPride wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:
If you want just the audio broadcast, I've found the easiest way to listen is through Pride Productions (http://portal.stretchinternet.com/hofstra/) I gave up using the WRHU website/app, since as people are reiterating here, they are inconsistent. Just click on the audio link instead of video, and it's pretty much the same as if you were listening to the radio broadcast. It brings you right to the game without having to find where it's actually being broadcasted from.
Very difficult on mobile devices and my other criticism remains...these productions are not listed in media such as newspapers, etc....an opportunity lost.