We're Attempting Much Fewer Three-Pointers This Season

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

We're Attempting Much Fewer Three-Pointers This Season

Post by EvanJ »

Last season, 41.5% of our field goal attempts were three-pointers, which was 56th out of 351 teams. This season, 35.4% of our field goal attempts were three-pointers, which is 219th. Players on the team last season but not this season had 58.0% of our attempted three-pointers and 40.3% of our attempted two-pointers. Players who played both seasons had 33.3% (exactly one-third) of their field goal attempts last season be three-pointers, which is up a little to 34.7% last season. The big difference is that players who played last season only had 50.5% of their field goal attempts be three-pointers, and players who played this season only had 37.5% of their field goal attempts be three-pointers.
HofstraMathew

Re: We're Attempting Much Fewer Three-Pointers This Season

Post by HofstraMathew »

Makes sense. We got guards that can drive and have gotten more offense out of our front court this year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I don't think you have to look too far to come up with some common sense answers to this without analyzing data. I'll say off the top of my head that BB lived off the 3 ball and even though he tweaked his game trying to score in the paint and develop a mid range game he took a lot of 3 point shots which was his bread and butter. I took the time to check this because I know Evan would cite it but BB took 208 three's last year and DP took 123 also Jamall Robinson liked to shoot the 3. This team besides JWF AND EP nobody shoots 3's with any frequency. This could change if JR and MR start to get consistent playing time.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

JR is way behind EP in minutes, but EP has attempted 60 3s and JR has attempted 55, so you should group them together in terms of 3s attempted. It is something that out of our nine players with the most minutes, four of them have combined to attempts 286 field goals, with only 8 3s, all by Wormley. I don't know how many other teams have three players averaging at least 10 minutes with no 3s attempted.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Pemberton is a bigger and stronger guard who gets through traffic. I think he should try to post up smaller guards like Carlos Rivera used to. Needs to watch the TOs.

Ray is quick and sees the court well. Hopefully his game will blossom into something more than perimeter shooting. He could continue to crowd out our 2 natural PGs.

JWF is a POY candidate, who at times needs to let the game come to him a little more, but that is nitpicking.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Joeg I like this "Ray is quick and sees the court well. Hopefully his game will blossom into something more than perimeter shooting. He could continue to crowd out our 2 natural PGs. He should be starting in front of these guys and get us some well needed scoring!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good, and its about friggin time. Should've made that change last year. This program hasn't been a good 3 point shooting team for awhile, but kept forcing and pretending to be, glad the staff has finally (seemingly) adjusted for it.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: This program hasn't been a good 3 point shooting team for awhile, but kept forcing and pretending to be, glad the staff has finally (seemingly) adjusted for it.
Hofstra's three-point field percentage out of 351 teams was 93rd last season, 140th in 2015-2016, and 75th in 2014-2015. That's an average rank of 103rd, which is in the top 30 percent. That comes from ESPN and includes the conference tournaments but excludes the postseason. Hofstra is down to 145th this season, but that's still in the top half.