Game 15 - JMU

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: Game 15 - JMU

Post by Jojogunne »

HUSID74 wrote:Just received an email from the Athletic Department reminding us of the game tonight...hope we can get a couple of people there.

Agree Cards, that MR and ST have been pleasant surprises and they should become real factors at the 4 spot, also agree we need at least wo decent bigs...hopefully ones who can run the floor and disrupt other teams offenses with blocks, etc...we are woefully weak in that department.

Also wouldn't hurt to find another PG...one to bring along next year...
Hosftra should give out free sodas and pretzels to anyone who makes it tonight.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Or better yet, shots of scotch!
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:Or better yet, shots of scotch!
Jameson Limited Reserve of course!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Perfect!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We're a 9 point favorite in this game. It seems we play our worst basketball when there is a big point spread.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:We're a 9 point favorite in this game. It seems we play our worst basketball when there is a big point spread.
so true - sill like us - going to lay the 9
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2018 ... dison.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky."

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=190388 will have statistics. After Buie started one game, Wormley is starting again.

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/hofs ... Type=video has video.

I see us favored by 7.5. Using the point spread and over/under and rounding if necessary makes these scores:

Hofstra 79, James Madison 72
College of Charleston 72, Drexel 67
Delaware 77, William & Mary 75
Northeastern 73, Elon 67
Towson 82, UNC Wilmington 72

Those are not my predictions.

Edit: James Madison is starting Stuckey Mosley (junior guard), Joey McLean (senior guard), Darius Banks (freshman guard), DeVelle Phillips (junior forward), and Ramone Snowden (senior forward).

Edit: Hofstra leads 8-6.

Edit: James Madison went up 9-8, but they haven't scored in 3:47, and Hofstra is on an 8-0 run and leads 16-9. Hofstra is on pace to win 78-41.

Edit: James Madison made a three to go down 22-17 and will have the ball after the under 8:00 timeout after Pemberton committed an offensive foul, which gives him as many fouls as points with 2 of each. Hofstra has 7 assists on their 9 field goals. The only free throw was a three-point play by Trueheart. Neither team has been fouled in the act of shooting a miss (which doesn't count as a field goal attempt).

Edit: Hofstra blew their lead, now is up 26-24, but James Madison can tie it with two free throws. Stuckley Mosley missed a three-pointer the first time Gustys was guarding him there and made a three-pointer the second time Gustys was guarding him there. Considering Mosley attempts 6.5 three-pointers per game, I wish Hofstra could somebody other than Gustys guarding him.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra leads 33-32 at halftime. Pemberton played 10 minutes due to foul trouble. Wright-Foreman made two three-pointers in the first 2:06 and hasn't scored in 17:54! He, Gustys, and Sabety are tied for the team lead with 6 points. Stuckey Mosley has scored 15 points and made 4 three-pointers. Hofstra has had ten players play at least 4 minutes. Hofstra shot the ball better, but James Madison has almost 50% more field goal attempts, 34 to 23. Buie hasn't scored, but he has 5 assists, which are his most since he had 6 against Auburn ten games ago.

Edit: Hofstra has 11 turnovers and James Madison has 4. Two of the three 2-0 teams are losing. Drexel leads 36-28 hosting College of Charleston and Northeastern leads 39-18 hosting Elon. Dmitri Thompson has 12 of Elon's points and three players have 2. Elon has made only one three-pointer and has more turnovers than rebounds.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

If i'm remembering correctly, we had a similar game against JMU at the Mack last year, where we let them control the pace and ended up losing. Lets hope we can figure something out and have a different outcome this year.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

James Madison went on a 10-0 run to go up 7. Gustys scored to go down 5 and has a free throw to try for a three-point play. With 15:17 left, James Madison has 4 fouls already.

Edit: Hofstra has 14 turnovers, and it looked like they could have another one before Sabety got the ball to Ray, who made a three-pointer to complete a comeback from down 8 to tie it at 49. James Madison made a 3 and leads 52-49 with 11:10 left and Wright-Foreman at the free throw line.

Edit: Gustys's basket to give him 1,000 points gave Hofstra their first lead in a while (maybe later I'll check how long). Hofstra went up 3, but James Madison made a 3 to tie it. With 3:03 left it's 66-66 and Ray will shoot 2 free throws.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

What a fun game to watch. JWF is just unreal. Maybe another sportscenter top 10 tonight for the team.

Walt Clyde Frazier would love to call JWF's games. Razzle Dazzle all night long. That game tying 3 to force overtime was just great.

Rok played out of his mind on the boards tonight as well. I think he had 18. Congrats to him on his 1000th point.

Ray had 18 which is great. He played nicely today.

Hunter and Radovic had some helpers as well.

I really do like that Joe cut out Buie today after his TERRIBLE stretch of play. Wormley got another shot tonight, and obviously didn't produce, as coach cut his night short as well.. I appreciate the fact that he isn't playing Mr. Nice Guy. Play the dudes that deserve to play. He did that the last 2 games.

Nice 2 game streak here. Lets make it 3 on Sunday vs. Elon.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

i "heard a little birdie" say that Lamar Odom was at the game tonight. Can anyone confirm that?
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Hofstra wrote:What a fun game to watch. JWF is just unreal. Maybe another sportscenter top 10 tonight for the team.

Walt Clyde Frazier would love to call JWF's games. Razzle Dazzle all night long. That game tying 3 to force overtime was just great.

Rok played out of his mind on the boards tonight as well. I think he had 18. Congrats to him on his 1000th point.

I really do like that Joe cut out Buie today after his TERRIBLE stretch of play. Wormley got another shot tonight, and obviously didn't produce, as coach cut his night short as well.. I appreciate the fact that he isn't playing Mr. Nice Guy. Play the dudes that deserve to play. He did that the last 2 games.

Great game to be at!!!
Prior to JFW game tying trifecta to end the 2nd half - I said to my seat mate we need someone to channel Charles Jenkins into their next shot - I hope I am as good at predicting tomorrow night when I predict a Lotto W for me - LOL.
Agree JFW was unreal - fearless -
Rok played well on the glass -
Ray has a stroke like JFW -
Sabty and Radovic both giving up their bodies to fight for balls -
Truehart also gave a few nice minutes -
Eli needs to step it up - we need him desperately -
Buie and Wormley - not great nights.

Side notes - kind of like the pep band see some potential there-keep it up; not a bad crowd (more then I expected); some real poor ref'ing tonight; congrats to RG on 1,000 point tonight.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra wrote: I really do like that Joe cut out Buie today after his TERRIBLE stretch of play. Wormley got another shot tonight, and obviously didn't produce, as coach cut his night short as well.. I appreciate the fact that he isn't playing Mr. Nice Guy. Play the dudes that deserve to play. He did that the last 2 games.
JWF had a career-high 6 assists. If he can play point guard, there's less need for Buie and Wormley. After Northeastern's leading scorer didn't do much against us, allowing Stuckey Mosley to score a career-high 37 and make 9 out of 16 three-pointers is bad. Hofstra has never had a player make 9 three-pointers. Mosley is in a four-way tie for the most three-pointers by a James Madison player.

We had 20 assists and 20 turnovers. We have played 406 games since 2005-2006, and this is the first time we had at least 20 of both.
daHUPride wrote: not a bad crowd (more then I expected)
The attendance of 1,062 was higher than for our games hosting Kennesaw State and kind of hosting Manhattan.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Knicks' Doug McDermott copied JWF by making a three-pointer with 1.1 seconds left to send a game to overtime.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Hofstra wrote:What a fun game to watch. JWF is just unreal. Maybe another sportscenter top 10 tonight for the team.

I'm not going to play down the importance of JWF THREE to send this game into O/T but let's be honest this was not a great game for him credit to JM for double and triple teaming him. He let the game come to him however in the first half got some assists and didn't force a lot of bad shots. A lot of his points in the second half and O/T came from the foul line. The big key to this game was JR having another good shooting night and filling the void left by JWF and EP who I thought worked hard for his points. I'll state it again it certainly appears we're watching the changing of the guard(s) here at HU.The days of KW and DB getting major playing time are on the decline and the new guys both JR,MR and ST ARE on the upswing. ST has game and should be getting more minutes then he is but this is all about to change. Let me not forget to give credit to 10 really solid minutes for HS and of course RG was a rebounding animal in this game. We're lucky to win this one but maybe payback for losing the W&M game which we should have won.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

daHUPride wrote:

Great game to be at!!!
Prior to JFW game tying trifecta to end the 2nd half - I said to my seat mate we need someone to channel Charles Jenkins into their next shot - I hope I am as good at predicting tomorrow night when I predict a Lotto W for me - LOL.
Agree JFW was unreal - fearless -
Rok played well on the glass -
Ray has a stroke like JFW -
Sabty and Radovic both giving up their bodies to fight for balls -
Truehart also gave a few nice minutes -
Eli needs to step it up - we need him desperately -
Buie and Wormley - not great nights.

Side notes - kind of like the pep band see some potential there-keep it up; not a bad crowd (more then I expected); some real poor ref'ing tonight; congrats to RG on 1,000 point tonight.
da great summary! Couldn't have said it better myself...another game with our hearts in our throats...they are scary but have, more the most part, found ways to win.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Agree with tripletec on all BUT.... HS deserves more minutes!!! Yes RG was great tonight with the rebounding BUT he gives up a lot of points by totally moving out of the way and letting the other team shoot uncontested . There were many times tonight that the entire team watched JMU shoot while playing zero defense. One guy on the other team had 37 points. No one could defend/ contest his shots??? Yes , great win but this team gives up way too many points. Congrats to RG on 1000 points - that is awesome. Any other coach would not give him the playing time to achieve that based on the number of easy layups he misses and the lack of defense at times so that he does not draw fouls.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Mike34 wrote:Agree with tripletec on all BUT.... HS deserves more minutes!!! Yes RG was great tonight with the rebounding BUT he gives up a lot of points by totally moving out of the way and letting the other team shoot uncontested . There were many times tonight that the entire team watched JMU shoot while playing zero defense. One guy on the other team had 37 points. No one could defend/ contest his shots??? Yes , great win but this team gives up way too many points. Congrats to RG on 1000 points - that is awesome. Any other coach would not give him the playing time to achieve that based on the number of easy layups he misses and the lack of defense at times so that he does not draw fouls.
Wow, strange take. Tonight was a prime example of why Rok plays the minutes he does, he had 2 blocks and he shut down Phillips, a DePaul transfer, who's having a nice year. Great offensive performance as well, specifically two great assists. This may have been Rok's best defensive game of the year. Congrats to him for crossing the 1k rebound threshold, crazy feat.

I thought Sabety had a nice offensive stretch in the first half too, he didn't play more because his defensive footwork is shaky and he couldn't guard the JMU forwards in the post, simple as that. The coaching staff did a pretty good job maximizing our frontcourt output tonight.

Not sure why, but we've had some crazy games with JMU over the years. This was just another fun game in the, dare I say it, rivalry?

JMU found our weakness fast, and doubled the primary ballhandler in the half-court. They were able to turn us over 20 times. Minus the turnovers I thought we actually played pretty well on both sides of the ball. Mosley had a crazy game and kept them in it, but we shut him down late and in OT, and there went the JMU offense.

To extrapolate on what "Hofstra" said earlier, I thought the coaching staff did a good job riding the hot hands tonight. Radovic played well! Ray also played pretty well defensively, had a few nice assists, and a good night on the perimeter. The advantages of having a bench! There will be nights we rely more on Buie, Angus and Trueheart, at least we have the opportunity to mix and match now, and that's the big difference over last year's team.

Great job by the team in executing in the last 30 seconds of regulation. JWF got a wide open look in that first possession down 1, but we had enough time to foul, and have an opportunity for a last second shot. Great execution in the last 6 seconds, first, getting it over half-court and calling the timeout. JMU was trying to bait Ray into inbounding the ball to JWF so they could foul and functionally run out the clock. Then, great execution by Pemba on the inbound to get it cross-court to Radovic, who got it to JWF for the dagger. Beautiful execution.

So many cardiac games, I just expect them now.

Tonight, if we have a slightly less horrific turnover differential, we probably cruise, despite the heroic effort from Mosley. This team has a knack for gutting out wins, and don't get me wrong, I'm loving it. It's been a very fun year. But for every win like we had tonight, obviously you can have the W&M/Manhattan losses just as easily. Can we just put one game together, the defense is finally showing some life, but we're turning the ball over at a crazy rate all of a sudden. Can we just stick it to Elon on Sunday?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

This game was close for two reasons . One we could not stop Mosley who went off on us for 37 points Second we had 20 turnovers. the bakery was open 24/7 last night. We had a 9 rebound advantage but that was negated by our 20 turnovers to their 10 turnovers. Let face it, it was a win. I will take it but we played down to our competition once again.