Monmouth/Rider

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:HU hoops highilights making ESPN and garning the #1 spot in Sportscenters Top 10 Plays is something we never get to enjoy, so let's def enjoy the heck out of it! Feels great to be on the winning end of a miracle finish like that!

Obviously the team looked awful the first half - these mental/emotional/energy lapses are very concerning for a talented team with high expectations.

JM apparently ripped the team a new one at halftime, they didn't come back out on the floor until about the 2 minute mark. To be fair to the staff, there is no reason they should have to do this 8 games into the season (*13 counting CA and exhibition) against a quality local mid on the road. These young men need to get their heads out of their you know what and realize what they can actually accomplish this year if they get it together.

And that leads me to team leadership. This team needs a leader, BADLY. A vocal passionate one. So far it hasn't been 1 of the 3 I figured it had to be of JWF, Rok, or Buie. Disappointed in that, would like to see someone step up. Position is currently open, taking applications.

The PG play is absolutely horrific, even Buie has regressed the last few games. Kudos to the staff for sitting them both in favor of Ray. THAT is a championship winning move. This isn't time for games and egos. You either perform or you sit, period.

I am in FULL favor of Ray gaining more PT in place of them both until proven otherwise. They had their shot to take charge, let's see what youngblood can do.

triplec, you called the rotation changes, and they are absolutely warranted:
- Agree fully MR is not ready, been saying he's going to need a full year. The staffs overhype of him didn't help. He has a lot to learn and a lot to develop - has potential, but should be used minimally and focus on his development for next yr.
- ST has absolutely shown his impact ability, and earned real PT IMO. Get him on the floor.
- Ray is a future stud. Been calling that one for a long time.
- This team can win with Rok as a compliment rather than the focus, and he plays in that role better. BIG plus for this team to win even when he's off.

HUSID, no doubt this was an important W, and an incredible finish for the ages. But let's go nuts here - this does not prove this team is ready to be special or win a CAA champ. They beat Monmouth, on a MIRACLE. They still have a TON of work to do, so let's take it one game at a time

Lose to Rider and this means jack squat. This team clearly isn't ready to perform they way they should in year 5, so at this point, I just want them to WIN - don't care how, just WIN. I will literally take any and every W and run. Miracle? FINE. By 1 point, FINE. Ref's blow it? FINE. Don't care!!! JUST WIN :D!

#ROLLPRIDE
Lose to Rider and all it means is a relatively meaningless OOC loss...disappointing yes in that hopefully this team learned from the Monmouth game in that you can't just mail it in. As for point guards, it's just a title...I said this during the summer that we will play three guards who are playing the best. So what if Eli, JWF and anyone else brings the ball up and makes plays. This game demonstrated that for ALL to see. Rider will be tough in their place and we can't count on miracle finishes. Time for this team to show that they can win consistently against quality opponents.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://www.sidearmstats.com/rider/mbball/ will have statistics. Unfortunately, Rider doesn't use StatBroadcast like all CAA teams do. Stony Brook uses Sidearm Stats.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Is there video for the Rider game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Pride97 wrote:Is there video for the Rider game?

http://gobroncs.com/watch/?Live=43&type=Archive
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

If you can't get the feed to work, turn off your ad blocker, that was the problem I was having.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:
Pride97 wrote:Is there video for the Rider game?

http://gobroncs.com/watch/?Live=43&type=Archive
Good start for Hofstra. The Dutch look good at each end. Looks like they have the better athletes on the floor. Up 9-2, forcing Rider timeout.

Thanks for the link!
Last edited by Wags on Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Flying Dutchmen, Thanks for the tip, works great now.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra leads 9-2. Wright-Foreman has 5 out of 9 of Hofstra's points and field goal attempts. Wormley, Pemberton, Angus III, and Gustys were the other starters. Pemberton promptly left because he was bleeding, and Ray replaced him. When Pemberton came back, Wright-Foreman got rare time off. Buie has also been subbed in. Rider had 4 turnovers in under 4 and a half minutes.

Edit: That post didn't go through earlier because there were new posts and I went to another window without seeing that. Our lead is down to 13-11 and Rider has the ball. Gustys was subbed out without attempting a shot.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Our 11-2 lead is now a 22-20 deficit...
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

When Sabety blocked a shot, the announcers said Gustys (who wasn't playing) blocked it. Frederick Scott has 5 turnovers.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

EvanJ wrote:When Sabety blocked a shot, the announcers said Gustys (who wasn't playing) blocked it. Frederick Scott has 5 turnovers.
These announcers are awful. I lost track of the amount of times they've said "Joel Angus Jr" and "Justin Foreman-Wright". Switch to WRHU audio with Rider video, our student run broadcast always seems to be better than the people other schools pay to do their announcing. Commentary is also pretty bad, I'm not sure either of their announcers did a single minute of research on Hofstra's team.
Last edited by ProudofPride on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

These announcers are atrocious. Calling Sabety Gustys the entire game, and agreed they are pronouncing names incorrectly. Extremely unprofessional. They also did not log the steal by Sabety towards the end of the half.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra leads 43-41 at halftime. Pemberton and Wright-Foreman are the only double-digit scorers on either team. Pemberton has 15 and Wright-Foreman has 11, and Wright-Foreman didn't score in the last 10:29. Trueheart made a three-pointer that went in and out and in. Neither Gustys nor Sabety has attempted a shot. Gustys has 3 rebounds and Sabety doesn't have any. Hofstra has made all 8 of their free throws, with 6 of them by Pemberton.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wormley doesn't belong at this level

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Rider is up 55-49, having outscored us 14-6 in the second half so far, and they're shooting about 57% from the field...
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

what a shit effort tonight.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

With all of these fouls we're committing, we're lucky that Rider is horrible at free throws or we wouldn't even be in this game right now.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We lead 74-71 with 3:55 left. Rider has made 1 out of 10 free throws this half. Wright-Foreman has 26 and Pemberton has 21 without scoring recently. Only five Hofstra players have scored.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Already have 20 turnovers who said we can have a point guard by committee.