Monmouth/Rider

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote: Just walked in because I was rear ended at a traffic light .2 miles off campus. Sucks, car is ehh, I am ok, thankfully.
Sorry. Had that happen as a passenger in my friend's car a long time ago coming from Hofstra, on Hempsteakd Tpke, by the Meadowbrook, as a Hofstra student (we were both HU students). And have seen several accidents near each unispan on Hempstead Tpke.

But glad you're okay!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

JWF played a full 40 minutes again tonight.

That's a full 40 in half of HU's eight games so far.

He's played all but 22 of a possible 320 minutes this season, and more than half (12) of those 22 were sitting out the blowout win against Molloy.

He has to play a lot, but they better not push him too much too soon for fear of wearing him out before they'll need to rely on him the most in Feb. and early March.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Hofstra wrote:Just got back from the game, and to say it was eventful is an understatement.

The Good: We won. Trueheart, Angus, Ray played very well. I thought JWF played well, but faltered big time down the stretch. Was really nice to fight back from getting hammered. As a fan in the stands, I wrote this game off as a loss at the half. Angus really played well today, 17 points 11 boards is awesome. Trueheart had really good minutes, helped us big time. Had a big block, and the game winning tip pass. Ray was just lights out in the second half, en fuego. JWF was scoring at will at one point.

The Bad: Coaching, Big Men, anyone not mentioned in the good. Joe just never changes, I don't think he is a good in-game coach what so ever. Someone mentioned earlier that we won't be winning many games like we did tonight, and he's right. We won't be shooting lights out like we did in the second half. We got lucky and we rode it out. Our defense is piss poor. Just non existent. Sabety was LOL bad tonight. The crowd was really getting on him when he missed his dunk, and then a layup the next trip down court. He looked lost, and almost looked as if playing at Tufts would be a stretch for him. He really needs to turn it up.
Radovic is just not ready for the show. He had a WIDE OPEN 3 opportunity right before the first half ended. He hits that, we go into the half down 8, instead of 13, when they strolled down court and hit a layoff. I think the Molloy game where he played well, was a division 2 opponent and not something to hold our hats on.
Gustys has to play better. He got a T, and a foul in the same sequence. As a senior, he can't put us in a position like that. I thought he was ready to FEAST tonight, but he couldn't get his minutes. Monmouth didn't have much of an inside presence to stop him, but we couldnt use him to our advantage.

The REALLY BAD: Just walked in because I was rear ended at a traffic light .2 miles off campus. Sucks, car is ehh, I am ok, thankfully.

I am very happy with the win, and what makes it better was the way that we won. I had 3 JO's behind me all game talking smack, but they left silent. It's just disheartening to see that we can't put it together. Monmouth was a 4 point favorite, and to beat them on the road is awesome, but we got lucky. Luck runs out.
It's good that you mentioned that last debacle before the half and that wild air ball from MR. I'll keep saying it feast or famine with him. If that wasn't bad enough with only a few seconds left they let Monmouth go the length of the court and score on an uncontested layup! Really!! I almost turned this game off after I watched that crap. The win obviously was big but just the fact that they came back is something to build on and now hopefully ST and JR will start to see some playing time and I believe make big contributions!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
Hofstra wrote:Just got back from the game, and to say it was eventful is an understatement.

The Good: We won. Trueheart, Angus, Ray played very well. I thought JWF played well, but faltered big time down the stretch. Was really nice to fight back from getting hammered. As a fan in the stands, I wrote this game off as a loss at the half. Angus really played well today, 17 points 11 boards is awesome. Trueheart had really good minutes, helped us big time. Had a big block, and the game winning tip pass. Ray was just lights out in the second half, en fuego. JWF was scoring at will at one point.

The Bad: Coaching, Big Men, anyone not mentioned in the good. Joe just never changes, I don't think he is a good in-game coach what so ever. Someone mentioned earlier that we won't be winning many games like we did tonight, and he's right. We won't be shooting lights out like we did in the second half. We got lucky and we rode it out. Our defense is piss poor. Just non existent. Sabety was LOL bad tonight. The crowd was really getting on him when he missed his dunk, and then a layup the next trip down court. He looked lost, and almost looked as if playing at Tufts would be a stretch for him. He really needs to turn it up.
Radovic is just not ready for the show. He had a WIDE OPEN 3 opportunity right before the first half ended. He hits that, we go into the half down 8, instead of 13, when they strolled down court and hit a layoff. I think the Molloy game where he played well, was a division 2 opponent and not something to hold our hats on.
Gustys has to play better. He got a T, and a foul in the same sequence. As a senior, he can't put us in a position like that. I thought he was ready to FEAST tonight, but he couldn't get his minutes. Monmouth didn't have much of an inside presence to stop him, but we couldnt use him to our advantage.

The REALLY BAD: Just walked in because I was rear ended at a traffic light .2 miles off campus. Sucks, car is ehh, I am ok, thankfully.

I am very happy with the win, and what makes it better was the way that we won. I had 3 JO's behind me all game talking smack, but they left silent. It's just disheartening to see that we can't put it together. Monmouth was a 4 point favorite, and to beat them on the road is awesome, but we got lucky. Luck runs out.
It's good that you mentioned that last debacle before the half and that wild air ball from MR. I'll keep saying it feast or famine with him. If that wasn't bad enough with only a few seconds left they let Monmouth go the length of the court and score on an uncontested layup! Really!! I almost turned this game off after I watched that crap. The win obviously was big but just the fact that they came back is something to build on and now hopefully ST and JR will start to see some playing time and I believe make big contributions!
Funny "2195" I DID turn it off after JR wild missed 3 10 minutes into the 2nd half (saw-probably rightfully so-JAM turn his back in frustration after that JR dud)-nice win boys way to fight.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I'm not gonna lie, I was so disgusted by the first half that I turned off the game and didn't find out what happened until a few hours ago.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

cactus wrote:I'm not gonna lie, I was so disgusted by the first half that I turned off the game and didn't find out what happened until a few hours ago.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Must admit that I came close to turning it off but my wife believed that they would come back...they did and now I believe that this team, warts and all, could be special. I said this was a critical game for this team as we could go either way. They played their butts off in the second half, in a tough environment and pulled it out...great to see two frosh come up big and see us play well without the two headed center!

On to Rider, another tough one on the road.

And here's one for Evan...when was the last time we played four teams, five counting the exhibition against Fairfield, from another Conference?
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

You know it's a win for the ages when ESPN is forced to make a Hofstra highlight its #1 play for their Top 10..

What can I say, the team played some really bad basketball for a long stretch, but I love teams that show heart and never quit. They battled all the way back. The crazy thing was that after the comeback was complete, they blew it again in typical Hofstra fashion.. And then the final 30 seconds happened. Just madness! This is why we all watch these games and root for this team, for moments like that. I can't ever remember seeing a perfectly executed intentional miss free throw like that before.

The biggest takeaway for me from this game is that Trueheart needs to get more minutes. Also, kudos to Jalen Ray. A true freshman needs a performance like that on this level to gain confidence. Hopefully he will be a consistent contributor going forward.

And I'm calling on Cactus to forfeit his season tickets for giving up at halftime!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

That was a great win; enjoy it! Got to stay focused and not follow it up with a stinker.

I was thinking, the depth we have this year not only allows us to rest some starters, but also to pull someone who may not be playing well in favor of a hotter hand.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Great win. Team needs to stop digging holes for itself. But tremendous comeback.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Ihave to admit I️ have never seen so many posts that I️ agree with. While it was a great win. We all see the wastes this team has. Let now proceed with cautious optimism This team can look great or play like crap not only game to game but even 5 minutes to 5 minutes within a game. I️ will repeat from my previous post. This team now has depth. It’s up to coach to use it
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:Ihave to admit I️ have never seen so many posts that I️ agree with. While it was a great win. We all see the wastes this team has. Let now proceed with cautious optimism This team can look great or play like crap not only game to game but even 5 minutes to 5 minutes within a game. I️ will repeat from my previous post. This team now has depth. It’s up to coach to use it
Which he did....
Wags

Post by Wags »

Did anyone interview Truheart after the game? No quotes from him in the Newsday article.

Curious about his thinking there because down two, with enough time left to grab a board, gather and go back up to tie the game, a lot of guys might do that in that situation. Instead he had the presence of mind to think that maybe he couldn't quite get position to grab the rebound and score, so his best option was to just tap it out to a 3-point shooter. I guess that might also be what they designed and worked on in practice as well.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Wags wrote:Did anyone interview Truheart after the game? No quotes from him in the Newsday article.

Curious about his thinking there because down two, with enough time left to grab a board, gather and go back up to tie the game, a lot of guys might do that in that situation. Instead he had the presence of mind to think that maybe he couldn't quite get position to grab the rebound and score, so his best option was to just tap it out to a 3-point shooter. I guess that might also be what they designed and worked on in practice as well.
The post game press conference had coach, JWF, ST and JR; they discussed the last shot a bunch between all four of them. Including that they practice it every practice but never works in practice.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Wags wrote:Did anyone interview Truheart after the game? No quotes from him in the Newsday article.

Postgame presser that Hofstra posted. If I remember correctly, Trueheart said he didn’t even realize that Ray was there and open, it all just kind of happened.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Trueheart is being modest.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

He said he knew he had to tip it out but was not aware that Ray was there...everything just fell into place....for once!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I could never figure out why ST hasn't been playing more minutes from the get go but was part of the group of suspended players for the first game. He might have wound up on the shit list after that but clearly he has a big upside. He can play big, rebound and block shots. Who else blocks shots on this team other then HS?? This kid can score from the perimeter or in the paint. Does he shoot well from the charity stripe?? Speaking of which we shot 80% in this game 7/7 for Angus. We lose this game without good free throw shooting!
Polito

Post by Polito »

HU hoops highilights making ESPN and garning the #1 spot in Sportscenters Top 10 Plays is something we never get to enjoy, so let's def enjoy the heck out of it! Feels great to be on the winning end of a miracle finish like that!

Obviously the team looked awful the first half - these mental/emotional/energy lapses are very concerning for a talented team with high expectations.

JM apparently ripped the team a new one at halftime, they didn't come back out on the floor until about the 2 minute mark. To be fair to the staff, there is no reason they should have to do this 8 games into the season (*13 counting CA and exhibition) against a quality local mid on the road. These young men need to get their heads out of their you know what and realize what they can actually accomplish this year if they get it together.

And that leads me to team leadership. This team needs a leader, BADLY. A vocal passionate one. So far it hasn't been 1 of the 3 I figured it had to be of JWF, Rok, or Buie. Disappointed in that, would like to see someone step up. Position is currently open, taking applications.

The PG play is absolutely horrific, even Buie has regressed the last few games. Kudos to the staff for sitting them both in favor of Ray. THAT is a championship winning move. This isn't time for games and egos. You either perform or you sit, period.

I am in FULL favor of Ray gaining more PT in place of them both until proven otherwise. They had their shot to take charge, let's see what youngblood can do.

triplec, you called the rotation changes, and they are absolutely warranted:
- Agree fully MR is not ready, been saying he's going to need a full year. The staffs overhype of him didn't help. He has a lot to learn and a lot to develop - has potential, but should be used minimally and focus on his development for next yr.
- ST has absolutely shown his impact ability, and earned real PT IMO. Get him on the floor.
- Ray is a future stud. Been calling that one for a long time.
- This team can win with Rok as a compliment rather than the focus, and he plays in that role better. BIG plus for this team to win even when he's off.

HUSID, no doubt this was an important W, and an incredible finish for the ages. But let's go nuts here - this does not prove this team is ready to be special or win a CAA champ. They beat Monmouth, on a MIRACLE. They still have a TON of work to do, so let's take it one game at a time

Lose to Rider and this means jack squat. This team clearly isn't ready to perform they way they should in year 5, so at this point, I just want them to WIN - don't care how, just WIN. I will literally take any and every W and run. Miracle? FINE. By 1 point, FINE. Ref's blow it? FINE. Don't care!!! JUST WIN :D!

#ROLLPRIDE
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

About to be on Around the Horn.