CAA Play OOC

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

CAA Play OOC

Post by triplec2195 »

Just happened to notice CAA team records so far this season for what it's worth. Towson stands out at 7-1 and is coming off a victory over Lasalle. I don't remember
that much about Towson. Last year I do remember Martin coming off the bench and burning Hofstra as a freshman. They r top 100 statistically in points scored, 3 point %, field goal percentage and rebounding. All this maybe meaningless based on who they have played but impressive so far. Also noticed UNCW only 2-4 after losing their coach and one of their good young players C.J Bryce who followed the coach to NC state. I always like to watch what everyone else is doing in the CAA OOC but things have a way of changing dramatically once CAA play starts. Everything gets ramped up and becomes much more intense. Just throwing it out there don't know what everyone else thinks about this league top to bottom!
EvanJ

Re: CAA Play OOC

Post by EvanJ »

The CAA is below .500 out of conference against Division I. There are 32 conferences. In under 24 hours, the CAA moved from 21st to 14th in the Conference RPI. Then the CAA fell to 16th without any more games. William & Mary scored 108 at Savannah State, so Hofstra's 107 isn't the highest CAA game of the week. William & Mary's Justin Pierce became the first player since at least 2010-2011 to have at least 21 points, at least 17 rebounds, at least 5 assists, at least 3 steals, and at least 3 blocked shots. Tramaine Isabell, who transferred from Missouri to Drexel, had 35 points and 13 rebounds. He now leads the CAA in scoring at exactly 22 per game. He averages 9.1 rebounds, 2.9 assists, and 1.4 steals. He's arguably been the best CAA player so far.

Edit: In their first nine games, Elon has won games with one overtime, two overtimes, and three overtimes. Elon's last five games against Division I teams were decided by 3 points or fewer or by 8 in triple overtime. They beat Saint Peter's 71-65 in double overtime. The teams combined for to shoot three-pointers .179, with Elon missing 27 and Saint Peter's missing 28. It was tied at 52 after regulation with the teams having a combined .328 field goal percentage at that point. As long as James Madison doesn't blow a 17 point lead, the CAA will go 6-0 today.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Evan that's a lot of statistical info. This guy Tramaine Isabell is some kind of player considering the rebounds as well. Maybe coming from Missouri this is child's play for him considering the talent he's playing against. Although u left the best part out that he's only 6'1". Almost inconceivable that he can get that many rebounds. He's keeping Drexel afloat by himself. William and Mary could be the surprise team in the making in the CAA .They're #17 in the country in field goal % and #1 in 3 pt. %. I don't know if anyone predicted this for them and they're young as well with their sophomores leading the team in scoring. Where were they predicted to finish in the CAA? This could be a long season for Hofstra if they don't develop BETTER PG play. This appears to be there Achilles heal.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

William & Mary was picked eighth ahead of only Drexel and James Madison. Being picked 11th out of 12 didn't stop Elon from being good at football.

How do you measure point guards? Hofstra has a 1.33 assist/turnover ratio, which is third in the CAA and better than the 1.32 in the two seasons we had Green.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I definitely like assist/turnover ratio but I'm more going to judge a players upside by what I see with my eyes and IMO I see tentative play from our points. I like an aggressive guy on both sides of the ball someone who can penetrate and either dish or score, someone who can pull up on the break and bury a three, someone who can be in his opposing players face and come up with steals. I think DB played well for the most part in his freshman year and got some minutes. I think the jury is out on him now still not sure whether he's not playing at 100%. KW who has good size for a PG I've only seen in two games other then streamed video. I see a guy who seems somewhat lost in running this team and doesn't appear to be a high percentage shooter hitting only 27% of his shots. Hopefully the pieces of the puzzle will fall together and they will gel as a team.
Polito

Post by Polito »

The CAA is def down this year - it has never been easier to win this conf. You know where I'm going with that.

There will always be good players though - it's a quality league, even in down times. Pierce was a strong recruit, don't know much about the Drexel transfer kid, but didn't they also have a speedy little point that shot the lights out last year?

HU keeps pretending and forcing itself to be a great shooting team, esp from deep - except they aren't. It was the same BS last year. This is why some of us have such an issue with what's been happening lately. These kinds of things typically point back to coaching - whether it's recruiting properly, developing players, or devising a strategy that is built for the team you have (not the one you dream about having), it is very clear that there needs to be much better leadership and execution - and that starts from the top.

PG is THE most important position in the HU system. The #1. It should have been treated with absolute priority, and it's hard not to feel the ball was dropped big time here.

As soon as it was clear that Powers was not the right kind of point for this program, and I appreciated the things he did bring to the table, but it was clear HU was going nowhere (to anyone paying attention with their eyes open and blinders off). Should've been lesson learned - yet here we are again. It will be the same poor result this year if one of these guys doesn't get it together and do what they were brought here to do.

And as we see, even the likes of JWF, Pemba, and Rok will not be enough to cover up the key ingredient.

Honestly, Speedy, you're up coach, it's time to go to WORK. There is no excuse for HU to have recurring poor PG play with a stud like that on staff. Let's go.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:The CAA is def down this year - it has never been easier to win this conf. You know where I'm going with that.

There will always be good players though - it's a quality league, even in down times. Pierce was a strong recruit, don't know much about the Drexel transfer kid, but didn't they also have a speedy little point that shot the lights out last year?

HU keeps pretending and forcing itself to be a great shooting team, esp from deep - except they aren't. It was the same BS last year. This is why some of us have such an issue with what's been happening lately. These kinds of things typically point back to coaching - whether it's recruiting properly, developing players, or devising a strategy that is built for the team you have (not the one you dream about having), it is very clear that there needs to be much better leadership and execution - and that starts from the top.

PG is THE most important position in the HU system. The #1. It should have been treated with absolute priority, and it's hard not to feel the ball was dropped big time here.

As soon as it was clear that Powers was not the right kind of point for this program, and I appreciated the things he did bring to the table, but it was clear HU was going nowhere (to anyone paying attention with their eyes open and blinders off). Should've been lesson learned - yet here we are again. It will be the same poor result this year if one of these guys doesn't get it together and do what they were brought here to do.

And as we see, even the likes of JWF, Pemba, and Rok will not be enough to cover up the key ingredient.

Honestly, Speedy, you're up coach, it's time to go to WORK. There is no excuse for HU to have recurring poor PG play with a stud like that on staff. Let's go.
I couldn't agree more with the PG being the #1 priority here and thought between DB and KW we had addressed this position but as this season starts to unfold it appears that this could be our undoing. There r teams starting to rise to the top in the CAA like Towson and William and Mary and with the likes of COC and Elon we better take notice and be prepared to play these teams tough. Even Drexel could be tough with that kid who transferred from Missouri. There will be no gimmes in this league.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://caasports.com/news/2017/12/4/men ... dec-4.aspx says Towson got 1 point in the AP Poll and it was their second point ever.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We need to beware a lot of these teams are looking good early. We have been hearing going back to the days of Green and Tanksley that HU will be playing for championships in the CAA every year. When you reflect on last years team getting knocked out by Delaware in the 1st round last year after beating them twice during the regular season you have to wonder how realistic these goals are? I know I'm not just speaking for myself but I'm going to be worried going into CAA play.
Polito

Post by Polito »

You are def not alone in terms of having concerns, I am 50/50 on what I see so far. I'm not going to bury them in the CAA before conf play even starts, but I am very disappointed they are still 'figuring things out' when they finally had preseason games to do so. This team should be set and ROLLING by now, not still 'finding itself' and it's footing. There is time, but not as much as some like to believe. EVERY GAME MATTERS.

The CAA is a good conf, and therefore will always have some tough teams/players. But let's not get crazy - this is without a doubt a down year for the CAA, and the UNCW stronghold greatly loosened with no Keatts. There is no reason why HU should not be at the top of league this season with a real shot to win it all.

The goal of competing for a CAA championship every year is a stretch, BUT it is absolutely fair to expect this program to legitimately compete for championships every couple of years, and to actually WIN it every 4-5. Unfortunately no staff has come close yet. Sure, some of that is the nature of a mid major program. And some of it is on the staffs. I don't believe for one second that this program couldn't manage to be a consistent/yearly top half stalwart in the conf with the right leadership.

Now to be fair, I do think its appropriate to compare HU with the other former AE programs. So far, none have achieved what I'm looking for above:

So far HU has won 1 regular season title, and it was shared with UNCW. And they ended up in the NIT after not taking the championship.

Drexel, Northeastern, and UD, all acheived the same feat first, and won the regular season outright. UD and NU have made the dance first.

Really, none of these programs have been positioned any better than the other. But you guys know me and my stance, I have one concern, and that is HU. IMO, HU just simply needs to prove itself and win.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

For the first time this season, the CAA is above .500 against Division I teams.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The CAA is up to 13th in the Conference RPI.