Game 7 vs Molloy

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraMathew

Game 7 vs Molloy

Post by HofstraMathew »

Its game day. Lets put the Siena loss behind us. I think the main goals for this game is to see improvements in our team play especially defense. Will be tough to judge strictly from the box score but hopefully we can see some solid offensive and defensive sets.
triplec2195

Re: Game 7 vs Molloy

Post by triplec2195 »

Amen to that short and sweet!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Finally something new to talk about! Looking forward to going to The Mack tonight and seeing how they respond.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Pride97 wrote:Finally something new to talk about! Looking forward to going to The Mack tonight and seeing how they respond.
Agreed! On to more productive dialogue...want to see this team come out ready to play and firing on all cylinders. Tough road stretch ahead through December.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

If there's anything to be taken out of this game, I'm at least glad that they got off to a fast start. Every game where they start off sluggish tends to set the tone for the whole game.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Guards drove to the basket. Defense seemed to be better but still left wide open three's. Overall I think it's the best result we could see. Seemed to have a solid intensity on both sides of the ball. Diving for loose balls, crashing the boards, going for the steals, etc.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wright-Foreman led all scorers with 23. Pemberton shot the ball great (7-8 field goals) to score 19 in 22 minutes. Hofstra had their best assist/turnover ratio since a 91-63 win hosting William & Mary on January 24, 2016, which was 53 games ago.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Fun night. Great to see the team enjoy playing a game...crowd, although small really got in to it especially when our walk on Connor got in the game and hit a three.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone know why Trueheart did not receive any PT ??
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

garyg wrote:Anyone know why Trueheart did not receive any PT ??
Looked like he maybe hurt - suited up, on the bench - but didn't warmup and he didn't take his sweats off.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I know its weaker competition, but the second team looked great with ball movement late in the game. Everyone touched the ball on every possession. One thing is still a problem and it has to be worked on. Our guards are terrible with keeping opposing guard out of the paint. Molloys guards kept beating them off the dribble We have to start overplaying opposing guards to their strong side if we want to be successful in conference play.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:I know its weaker competition, but the second team looked great with ball movement late in the game. Everyone touched the ball on every possession. One thing is still a problem and it has to be worked on. Our guards are terrible with keeping opposing guard out of the paint. Molloys guards kept beating them off the dribble We have to start overplaying opposing guards to their strong side if we want to be successful in conference play.

As I watched this game as much as anything I couldn't agree more about their guards continually beating our guards and getting into the paint and causing problems. They also were getting too many open looks and hitting three's shooting a bit higher % then us which is sad. I won't harp on it but still sub par PG play and I think JA continually getting beat when he came out to guard smaller players. A little scare with Pemberton getting flattened on a blind pick but he came back and had a great shooting game. MR hitting 4/5 three's a real feast or famine shooter. I don't know how many people are taking notice of ROK'S improved free throw shooting. Looking a lot more confident at the line. Clearly he's spent time working on that part of his game.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Rok now has a higher arc and softer shot from the line if he hits between 50 to 60 percent from the line. I’m ok with that
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Last season Gustys made 1.08 free throws per 30 minutes played. So far this season he has made 2.36 free throws per 30 minutes played. This season he has raised his career free throw percentage from .385 to .396.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Gustys might be our all-time worst FT shooter.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Remember Jorden Allen who halfway thruvthe season had about a 30 percent ft percentageu
Polito

Post by Polito »

Beat them by the margin they should have, and padded some stats.

Hope ST is fine, seems like he may have some impact ability.

JA seems to have regressed the last few games - I was not able to be there though so will leave that analysis up to those who were - thoughts??

Rad exactly as a coach told me, totally streaky. That really doesn't get me super excited, but hopefully he can develop over time - has nice size, and seems to have at least real potential.

Not impressed with allowing Molloy to score 72 points. Shouldn't have gone above 65, but hey, they did beat them by 3 decades so... as you all noted, pretty concerning the guards are struggling with D - not what I expect w/Speedy coaching them. Can't be bad everywhere, at least be lock down in something, whether at the arc or preventing easy drives. Will be happy to have 1 of those!

Really can't take too much from this kind of game though. Was hoping the staff might experiment a bit more with the starting lineup, esp with Buie and ST (before knowing he was out).

Rok looks to be really playing well, deserves credit for continuing to work hard to improve his game. I'll take his FT improvement so far all season and be happy - not looking for him to go nuts with it, just be serviceable. Keep going big fella, team def could use you at top form!

On to more real OOC stuff now. Will there be a need for continued excuses, or will this team show up to make this season the one that leveled up the program??? Have they learned lessons and grown, or same ol same ol??? Time to find out what this team is made of!

#ROLLPRIDE
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Polito wrote:JA seems to have regressed the last few games - I was not able to be there though so will leave that analysis up to those who were - thoughts??
I haven't been overly impressed with JA all season; can't say I saw anything last night at the game that leads me to believe he is more than a role player. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing since we have other stars.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

JA a lunchpail kind of guy. Not real quick, can't jump. He got caught in some defensive switches trying to cover quick guards on the perimeter. Other than that he was ok.

Really excited about Rad, like to see him drive to the basket once in awhile but I think he'll be a good plyer for us and hell have four years.

As for Trueheart I think he was a dnp due to coach's decision. He did nothing at Siena.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I do not want everyone to get too excited...victory came against D-II school with 1-6 record