Team is Improved, but Still a Disappointing Weekend

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraMathew

Re: Team is Improved, but Still a Very Disappointing Weekend

Post by HofstraMathew »

Jojogunne wrote:Well, we didn’t win with JWF and Pemberton each playing 40 minutes. Maybe they would have benefitted from some rest in each half. Tired legs = missed shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They combined for to go 4 out of 5 in the last three minutes of each half and 5 out of 8 in the last five minutes of each half. Really didn't look like either was tired.
Hofstra

Re: Team is Improved, but Still a Very Disappointing Weekend

Post by Hofstra »

Damn FD.. PREACHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I wasn't happy with the results from Sunday, but I was proud as heck of that team that fought on the court. As Hofstra fans our expectations are all over the place. I agree with what HUID said, I would rather go 1-2 vs real teams, than lose to Dayton and go 2-0 vs. teams who aren't up to the caliber we played. Also, who is to say that we would have beat both of those teams. If we take an L to Ohio, or Old Dominion, that could be very deflating. 1-2 vs. our teams, vs. 2-1 vs other competition in that tourney is something to consider.

I look forward to this season. I really think we can compete with the top of the CAA.

TBH, I am thinking about booking Charleston this year for the CAA tournament. Last year was the first tournament I missed in years, and it sucked. I love the team so far, might book early and support this team. We look to be fighters.
Polito

Re: Team is Improved, but Still a Disappointing Weekend

Post by Polito »

LOL this thread is fire, I love it! And you're welcome :D Amazing how some of you can come out in droves to crucify me for an opinion, but can't get your asses to a simple pregame to unite as fans :lol: but yeah, "PREEACHHH" !!

Hey, I got a pair, so bring it on :P

Let me repeat for the THIRD time now: I am excited about the potential of this team. They are MUCH improved, and look poised to have a very big year - this past weekend does not change that. I happen to like what I see overall, and I think these fellas can take this conf.

I also happen to think they should have had a better result in this tourney. GASP!! How terrible!! :roll:

I was looking for 2-1, regardless of the opponent. It was a good field, but no ranked teams and every one of them beatable by this HU squad. Dayton W was a big one that lead to nationally televised games against the ACC and SEC, which is fantastic and should help this team grow.

However, dropping those 2 in a row was akin to the FSU scenario. HU had a chance to do better, but didn't get it done. I'm not hatin' on them, it's just the reality. The team COULD have beaten AU, lead at half, and absolutely SHOULD have won. That is MY opinion, you are free to disagree.

Agree 100% there were plenty of positives to take away, and have said so. To help some of you I removed the word "Very" from my post title as I think it displayed more anger than I actually feel. I am disappointed, but not at all angry, I am not calling for any heads for goodness sake. Nothing I have stated has been some over the top negative rant, and if you actually think that or got that impression, well, then you need to grab a tissue or strap it on, or both. It is simply my take on the weekend.

Hey, did you know that it is entirely possible, AND PERFECTLY OK, to be disappointed in particular areas and STILL actually be a huge fan, fully supportive, and excited about the big picture?

Yep, it's true.

Now that we've cleared that up --->>> #ROLLPRIDE
Cards

Post by Cards »

Polito wrote:Hey, did you know that it is entirely possible, AND PERFECTLY OK, to be disappointed in particular areas and STILL actually be a huge fan, fully supportive, and excited about the big picture?
ABSOLUTELY - that is the truth!!

And similarly, its entirely possible to criticize a player or coach about a part of their game and STILL actually root for that same guy to play well or improve as much as possible!

In the end, we're all hoping, rooting, yearning, for a season when Saturday afternoon home games are sold out and the Mack is rockin!
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Cards wrote: And similarly, its entirely possible to criticize a player or coach about a part of their game and STILL actually root for that same guy to play well or improve as much as possible!
Agreed, and on that note, I think we really need to discuss Gustys a bit more... Have we ever had a player remain so stagnant in their development before? Mike Moore never really improved, but he was only a 2 year player. Anyone else come to mind?

Here's the obvious-- we're lucky to have Rok, he's a good sized center for us who can grab defensive rebounds with the best of them and provide some lay-ups and putbacks on the offensive end. Here's the hard truth-- he's at the exact level of competition (CAA) he should be. I think we all thought we stole a Big5 type, but so far this season is confirming the reasons we were able to grab him from Oak HIll in the first place. After four years, he still:

- Commits overwhelmed, silly turnovers
- Has absolutely no post game outside of his "dribble toward the paint, spin toward the baseline" move
- Has the opposite of soft hands
- Has no ability to protect the rim
- Has no ability to hit free throws
- Complains about calls and the lack thereof CONSTANTLY
- Hasn't developed any jump shot whatsoever
- Can't create his own shot

I'll stop the list here, because again, he's a fine player for us. However, I see some of our struggles this year coming down to the fact that we have no big-man offensive/defensive threat. I love Hunter and agree he needs to be playing much more than 3 minutes a game-- however, I'm not sure if he gives us much more on the offensive end.

Last thing that drives me crazy-- It feels like JM is afraid/cautious about giving Rok a good talking/screaming to. Especially on the defensive end and with turnovers, he seems to always get a pass. While this might seem like no big deal, it encapsulates the free-wheeling, undisciplined syle of play that Rok has fallen into.

Thoughts?
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito I won't quote your entire post but the Fl St scenario was totally different...look at who we lost to back then. After beating Dayton we played two POWER CONFERENCE schools, not cupcakes!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Polito wrote:LOL this thread is fire, I love it! And you're welcome :D Amazing how some of you can come out in droves to crucify me for an opinion, but can't get your asses to a simple pregame to unite as fans :lol: but yeah, "PREEACHHH" !!
I dont live within an hour of Hofstra, so no, I can't make it to a pregame. I haven't once seen you in Baltimore though, but I don't go around on the boards letting you know that you're not a good fan cause you didnt go to Baltimore for the tournament. Also, a few of my friends that I go to games with have season tickets so we go to they usually take me to the Pride Lounge beforehand. That should be pregame enough, lets host the next Pregame party in the Pride Lounge? Wouldn't that be a better idea?

I know you get your "roks" off when people answer you back, but don't get it twisted with being a fan or not if one attends a pregame meet up. I will be at both Rider and Monmouth games because they are closer to my house. If you attend either, I got your ticket, and a beer beforehand.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

HU87 wrote:
Cards wrote: And similarly, its entirely possible to criticize a player or coach about a part of their game and STILL actually root for that same guy to play well or improve as much as possible!
Agreed, and on that note, I think we really need to discuss Gustys a bit more... Have we ever had a player remain so stagnant in their development before? Mike Moore never really improved, but he was only a 2 year player. Anyone else come to mind?.........Thoughts?
It's hard to say, he's got a high basketball IQ, and I think he's developed from freshman year, but he's just a very poor shooter. In fact I think he made the longest shot of his career in the Clemson game, which was about a 9 footer. It's possible he never had the skillset to be a guy who can develop the mid-range game. At some point, the coaching staff has to maximize what a player can do well.

I just think a lot of people overestimated his offensive ability when Juan'ya was feeding him off the pick and roll. Last year I thought Rok played poorly, but our guard play wasn't good and he was limited with a groin injury. I think he's looked awesome minus the Army game this season, and he's shooting 59% which is fine considering he's been asked to facilitate the offense more so than in the past.

I don't understand why Rok is getting singled out for his play this weekend. I thought he was our best player. Sabety didn't play because he was completely ineffective, against the bigger, more athletic forwards, and the coaching staff knew they would be feeding him to the dogs if they left him out there longer.

If there's a reason we lost those games, other than Clemson and Auburn being better teams, I thought our guards, specifically JWF struggled getting good looks. Pemba lost his cool in the last two games which really hurt too.

A huge positive was Trueheart hitting some buckets from the perimeter though. It's hard to give him a fair defensive assessment, but hopefully he gets some rotation minutes moving forward at the 4.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Sabety didn't play because he was completely ineffective, against the bigger, more athletic forwards, and the coaching staff knew they would be feeding him to the dogs if they left him out there longer.
I think you are completely incorrect. Leaving Sabety on the bench the entire game was a huge mistake. I think you are disappointingly wrong in your judgment.

HU87 - I agree with your points.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HU87 wrote: Agreed, and on that note, I think we really need to discuss Gustys a bit more... Have we ever had a player remain so stagnant in their development before? Mike Moore never really improved, but he was only a 2 year player. Anyone else come to mind?
Mike Davis-Sabb from 2005-2006 through 2008-2009:

2005-2006: 8th in points with 35 and 8th in minutes with 149 (0.23 points per minute)
2006-2007: 6th in points with 103 and 5th in minutes with 647 (0.16 points per minute)
2007-2008: 9th in points with 36 and 8th in minutes with 303 (0.12 points per minute)
2008-2009: 12th in points with 6 and 12th in minutes with 52 (0.12 points per minute)

He had 57.2% of his career points and 56.2% of his career minutes in his sophomore season, albeit when he was a starter after Uter and Kieza graduated and before Greg Washington, Darren Townes, and Dane Johnson came in 2007-2008.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Sorry for the delayed reply Hofstra, life gets wild sometimes between kids, business, etc.

I'm not calling you a bad fan bud - hell, anyone who takes the time to post on this board is a welcomed much appreciated HU fan! But hey, you make a smart comment at me, you should expect some recoil! I'd say we're just breaking some chops :P

I do think it's disappointing this board can't find a way or desire to band together for some more fellowship and shop talk about HU hoops/athletics, but that's just my opinion, I'm not losing any sleep over it. As I'm sure none of you are crying that I'm disappointed lol :D

We have a blast, and those who don't participate are missing out IMO. But we are going to continue doing our thing, and anyone is always welcome to jump in or out at any time. The more the merrier, and we hope to see all of you at some point during this season.

And to correct you, I don't get my 'roks' off from responses, I enjoy seeing and being a part of ENGAGEMENT. This board contains some great insight, thought-provoking opinions, and a fun environment to 'geek out' on Hofstra sports! Activity on it is what it's all about - if my posts happen to spark some of it, fantastic, all the better.

It's not a terrible thought to hold some things in the Pride Lounge, however, the point of the group is to be all-inclusive in order to grow it and maximize it's potential. The lounge is obviously exclusive only to a certain group, so not the best choice for us.

Appreciate the beer/ticket offer, would be great to do that and hang with ya for a game one day. I'm even better in person :lol: Much tougher for me to travel these days though with young children and business requirements, but hopefully one day soon!

Nova is a definite for me, already planned that one out with the fam, so keep me posted - I think we should all pregame for that one too.