Game 5 - Auburn

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Mike34

Re: Game 5 - Auburn

Post by Mike34 »

ProudofPride wrote:now more than 7 minutes into the half and we have yet to score... Honestly, at the very least if you're literally not going to score at all, some attempt at a defense would be nice since AU basically can't miss
Couldn't agree more. Like c'mon, clearly AU is better at scoring so some defense would be nice, at the least.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

How about Trueheart with 10 points in 9 minutes!
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Truehart is doing awesome, not sure why he hasn't played before this game.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Auburn is not nearly as polished as Clemson, meant to post this pre-game. They have some talent yes, but very beatable.

HU should have won this game, I am very disappointed. Once again, they falter in a weekend tourney.

This was the game I felt would set the tone, and after a great 1st half they completely fell flat and end up 1-2 yet again in a key weekend tourney. Competition was strong no doubt, but no one will care or remember, not like they played Duke and UK. This was FSU all over again.

They played tough, this team doesn't quit and wants to win. There has clearly been improvement over the last few years. But the bottom line is 5 years and they still aren't ready to get the job done. One decent win isn't enough anymore. They have a LOT to prove still. Not pleased.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Auburn had a field day in the paint scoring 42 points.
Yes, this was a winnable game, but honestly i'm not as upset as I though I'd be. HU competed for 75% of the game. Obviously that 18-0 Auburn run was the difference maker. Had they stopped that a little earlier and made more than 9 of 18 free throws, could've been a different story. They still didn't give up after that run, definitely showed fight, which gives me hope for the rest of the season. Other years, we start off a half like that and never recover at all. Definitely a lot of positives to take out this tournament, despite a 1-2 record. As other people pointed out after the Clemson game, except for Villanova, the rest of the non-conference schedule should be a cakewalk.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Thought they played awesome tonight. Yes we lost, but I saw glimpses of a lot of good from a few players.

Hope we can build on this weekend. We faced some decent teams.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Auburn had a cakewalk with uncontested layups in the second half. I thought this team would be playing better D by now. Barry Pearl made the adjustments at halftime and Auburn went on that 18-0 run. game set and match!
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

You cannot win without playing defense. I'll say it every game, and everyone can post back with stats of how many rebounds everyone got, but it is not nearly enough. Rok being so huge, I think I saw his hands up once. He especially should be in there with the most aggressive defense. Dude is huge and playing like he is 6-feet tall and afraid. If he's afraid to foul, then so be it; get Sabety more involved and maybe Roks fears will go away.

42 points in the paint... not sure what game coach was watching. Polito, I'll have to agree I am also extremely disappointed.

Lastly like I said before, shout out to Truheart for playing a great game. It was nice to see him involved. Shows that the bench can make an impact.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We should not have won this game...it was winnable but we would have to be at our best...too many mistakes...turnovers, missed free throws, poor defense in stretches and Rok being afraid to shoot or go to the hoop...don't know why Sabety did not play more...I think overall this weekend was very positive for this team and program....happier that we beat Dayton then if we lost and won two against also rans...the OOC season is to learn what kind of team we have and it was good to see Pemberton, JWF, Truehart, Rad, and Buie play well...not sure about Wormley, Ray and Angus was invisible tonight.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:Auburn is not nearly as polished as Clemson, meant to post this pre-game. They have some talent yes, but very beatable.

HU should have won this game, I am very disappointed. Once again, they falter in a weekend tourney.

This was the game I felt would set the tone, and after a great 1st half they completely fell flat and end up 1-2 yet again in a key weekend tourney. Competition was strong no doubt, but no one will care or remember, not like they played Duke and UK. This was FSU all over again.

They played tough, this team doesn't quit and wants to win. There has clearly been improvement over the last few years. But the bottom line is 5 years and they still aren't ready to get the job done. One decent win isn't enough anymore. They have a LOT to prove still. Not pleased.
STOP....this game means nothing except for getting experience and for finding out what we have moving forward...when all is said and done this game will go done as nothing more than and teaching moment and confidence builder for some bench guys like Rad and Truehart.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

I can only hope it was a teaching moment for JM more than anyone else.... gave up 42 points in the paint and left Sabety on the bench the entire game.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Agreed, don't know why we did not play him more...
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

HUSID74 wrote:
Polito wrote:Auburn is not nearly as polished as Clemson, meant to post this pre-game. They have some talent yes, but very beatable.

STOP....this game means nothing except for getting experience and for finding out what we have moving forward...when all is said and done this game will go done as nothing more than and teaching moment and confidence builder for some bench guys like Rad and Truehart.
Agreed. Would have loved to get this win, but it’s not like we are going to be competing for an at large at the end of the year.

SEC obviously recruits better than the CAA and to say we should be beating these teams is crazy. Can we compete with A10 - sure. ACC and SEC - that’s a stretch.

Hopefully this experience strengthens them for conference play which are the important games. I think we saw Pemba take a step forward in this tourney. Possibly we found something in Trueheart since he hasn’t gotten much run.

Would I have liked to win another game? Absolutely. Am I disappointed or surprised? No way. Anyone who watched these games and the talent difference should have seen that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Wow, only 28 points in the second half. We haven't laid that kind of an egg in a long time.

JWF and Pemberton played 40 minutes apiece, and Rok logged 37 minutes. I know they're they core of our team, but Coach needs to find a way to give those three a rest. What did Sabety do to play only 3 minutes? He's a better defender than Gustys.
Polito

Post by Polito »

To be clear, I am not going crazy about this L - not calling for heads, not throwing away the season, not saying anyone should be benched. All I'm saying is I am disappointed, and I am.

It is not crazy at all to say HU should have won, they absolutely should have. I don't care where they're from, I am well versed in college athletics, HU should have won this particular game. This game was winnable, HU led, and then fell flat.

Quality mid majors rise to the occasion of P5 games every single year. HU did against a good A10 Dayton, non-P5 but that was a quality W - but like I said, losing the next 2 negates it...nothing more than FSU, which turned out to be a fluke. They are good teams, but unranked and beatable by strong mid majors.

I'm very clear on the difference in recruiting, my point is mid majors that are ready to shine take full advantage of their few opportunities - happens every year. My expectation is that HU was going to do so this year. They did not in this tourney. They can absolutely still have a big year, this doesn't change that. It just shows there's a lot more work to do. I'm with you all, hopefully they truly build on this, unlike the last few years.

This team is clearly better than last year, no question. There is a lot to be excited about, and I am - Pemba is looking like the STUD many thought he would be - was awesome to see Trueheart get some play and make it count. Buie is healthy. JWF has star power. The team has depth and talent, they have heart, play hard, don't quit, and for the most part playing better D. ALL major positives.

But no one can yet say wow, yep, this team is finally ready to win it all, 3 in 3, and is going to light the CAA on fire on its way to the dance. And this was a chance to do that. I need to see a LOT more...actually, I EXPECT to.

And I don't see the rest of the OOC being a cakewalk, not with Siena, Monmouth, Manhattan, SBU. HU is much improved, but this tourney proved they are still not ready to take the next step. HU needs to keep improving, keep progressing, and let's see how things go.

#ROLLPRIDE
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Biggest takeaway is the depth they have at the 4. Great game from Trueheart.

Definitely concerned about JWF forcing too many shots because they don't have a guy who can facilitate and put guys in good position to score. Biggest cause of Rok's struggles and the team's continued lack of ability to get buckets in crunch time as well. Buie is only possibility to be that guy.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:We should not have won this game...it was winnable but we would have to be at our best...too many mistakes...turnovers, missed free throws, poor defense in stretches and Rok being afraid to shoot or go to the hoop...don't know why Sabety did not play more...I think overall this weekend was very positive for this team and program....happier that we beat Dayton then if we lost and won two against also rans...the OOC season is to learn what kind of team we have and it was good to see Pemberton, JWF, Truehart, Rad, and Buie play well...not sure about Wormley, Ray and Angus was invisible tonight.
HUSID74 took almost all of my thoughts - we should not have won this game- we were in it and could have won but... -

RG - has terrible hands-strong hands maybe but not good hands - immediately looks to pass in the paint instead of taking it the hole (lack of confidence? / afraid of getting fouled?) - he was certainly a by-product of how good JG was to him 2 years ago
HS- confused with his lack of PT especially watching how easily gassed RG gets
ST- lack of PT in the first few games got me nervous that we had another A Walker on our hands-nice game/nice numbers for the kid-looks a little lost on D, but upside (and size) for us to be happy about
JA -like certain things he does, but against the Clemsons' and Auburns' his size and athleticism is exposed
MR-certainly not afraid to shoot-for a freshman love his upside-doesn't appear to be overwhelmed
EP-a better player then I thought, I expect great things from him in conference play
JFW-for now he is forcing a little-seems frustrated at times with RG lack of ability to catch and/or finish-lack EP, I expect big things in CAA play - plays better whe DB is running the show
JR- certainly athletic enough- makes some rookie mistakes-off to an OK start
DB-like him running the point - EP and JFW seem to get better looks when DB is in the game
KW-for me, the jury out on his game- nice pick up for our roster good size and skill

I think with this roster and depth JAM has to use, maybe outside the box, different looks -
A bigger lineup to combat other teams inside game - JFW, EP, ST, HS and RG
A smaller quick lineup to press and push the ball up - DB, KW, JFW, EP and HS
we finally have the players- use them

Thought we played 3 quality teams and competed hard, hope we take that into to conference play and kick some a** - our perimeter D is pretty good, unfortunately it exposes our weak interior D - seems like a lot of frustration with our bigs pointing out poor switching D rotation and our G's being frustrated with our bigs bad hands and poor finishes around the rim - hated EP (legitimately frustrated) "T" - after that "T" I think we most have been called for 3 chippy fouls in a row in 30 seconds (pay back by the refs) - could not stand color commentary of UVa grad Cory Alexander, went off on 5 minute rambling tangents of talking everything other then action on the court -
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Lots of really good observations and insight into these games. My feeling is they were beat by bigger better and more athletic teams. In the Clemson game where there was very little room for error they had seven block shots to our ZERO! In the Auburn game Auburn had six blocked shots to our ZERO! In both games we contested very few shots in the paint while both these teams contested every shot in the paint. They were quicker and more athletic. Comparing 2 and 3 star players to at times 4 and 5 star players. JWF while being a good perimeter shooter can really score off the glass with soft bank shots. They did their homework on him and for the most part shut down that part of his game.

Post by stuball888 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:13 pm
Auburn had a cakewalk with uncontested layups in the second half. I thought this team would be playing better D by now. Barry Pearl made the adjustments at halftime and Auburn went on that 18-0 run. game set and match!

I couldn't agree more with the above post. I saw two Hofstra players watch one of their guards beat there man and go in for an uncontested layup. I would be surprised if they weren't both ripped a new one! We could have won the Auburn game but with no contested shots in the paint missed one and one's sometimes bad shot selection etc we deserved to lose. The true test for this team is now before them getting in sync for CAA play.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yet some still think Rok doesn't play soft. He does, way too often, on O and D. For a guy his size he should be a dominating presence in the middle - not just a presence, a DOMINATING one. And I say this because I do believe he has the skill set.

He faced some good bigs this weekend, but the assessment here goes way beyond the last couple of games. And to me what's infuriating about it is this is all fixable stuff.

Forget the FT's - that's just not going to be his strength (although he hopefully may be at least slightly better this yr). But he should be a powerhouse in all other facets of the game.

I love the aggressive energy Sabety brings, and that's why I think he needs a few more minutes. The team dynamic changes when he's in, and he makes immediate impact. Don't think he can handle as much PT as Rok without fouling out, so don't get me wrong, I am NOT calling for Sabety to replace Rok in any way shape or form. Rok still brings strong value - he has superb rebounding ability, can execute the pick and roll when the guards play properly, and has recently displayed a very nice looking spin move to the hoop.

The challenge is he's weak with it when he gets there. He allows smaller guys to back him on up D, kicks it out WAY too often when he's literally a few ft from the basket, never blocks a shot, and still doesn't put the ball in the hoop with authority. Don't know how this wouldn't be perceived as playing soft for a 6'9 240lb big.

I love the young fella and am thankful he's suiting up for HU - I just want him to realize he is a MAN among boys, and start playing like it.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Both of these guys don't really have much of a mid range game and nothing beyond the arc. Obviously the trend is to have bigs that can shoot beyond the arc and not playing with their back to the basket. These guys are at a premium and I imagine that's the reason that everybody is signing players outside the U.S. eg Kristap Porzingis. Sabety is more of a shot blocker than Gustys and plays with intensity however Rok is a good passer, comes up with steals and plays D but doesn't get off the ground all that well. It does appear that he has worked on his FT shooting and appears better at this juncture. There's plenty of room for improvement but still say the key to this teams success lies at the PG position. Jury is out there at the present time.