Game 4 vs Clemson

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Game 4 vs Clemson

Post by HUSID74 »

No one started a thread so I will. Now we take on the Tigers from the big bad ACC. Clemson is picked to be middle of the pack in their League. Still a big challenge for Hofstra. Against Ohio they got a huge performance from their big so that will be an issue for Rok and Hunter. The game article I read said that Clemson plays lock down "D" so look for them to try and shut down JWF and Pemberton.
We get another national TV game, 9:30 on ESPNU...sorry I can't make the watch party, dinner commitment, but you can be sure I will be watching...hope there is no letdown after the big Dayton win like we had after beating Fla. State a few years ago.
Polito

Re: Game 4 vs Clemson

Post by Polito »

Thanks HUSID.

So last night was to see if we have something real to be excited about... we do.

Tonight is to see if this team has that next level grit, drive, and refuse to lose attitude to will themselves to a W in back to back games against tough teams.

FSU was awesome, a big time W... until it wasn't the next game when HU completely deflated the effect with a poor showing/L. This must not happen here. This is another tough BUT WINNABLE game for this team. Want to see a strong gritty showing and a follow up W against a P5 team. THAT would give credibility to the talk of potential.

Clemson has good size all around, some quality at the 4/5 and their 6'3 guards, so HU will need strong D play in the 1,2,4, and 5 spots (<- Rok/Sabety, Angus and Wormley look to be big defensive keys tonight). CU hasn't shown a lot from 3 yet, and I think HU can rebound with them. Feeling like HU can get some buckets from the WG spot in this game, so this would be fantastic for Radovic to get hot from deep, and Pemba to continue his rise.

Both teams seem to be focusing on and playing tight D, so any opp for points it's important to convert. Like FD said, it's time for some Brownell redemption. Let's GOOOOOOO fellas, rise up, and #ROLLPRIDE !!!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

ESPN has Clemson as a 9 pt fav
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID74 wrote: Clemson is picked to be middle of the pack in their League.
http://theacc.com/news/2017/10/26/mens- ... orite.aspx says Clemson was picked 13th out of 15 in the preseason poll.

The Sagarin thinks Clemson is 6 points better. Clemson opened with big margin of victory over two teams who were bad last season, including North Carolina A&T who had the second worst RPI out of 351. Then Clemson beat Ohio, who was 117th in the RPI last season, which is the bottom team in the top third.

Edit: This is Hofstra's latest start time since a 10:00 P.M. start at Oregon State on November 16, 2011. That was 199 games ago.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=193248 has statistics. Clemson is starting Marcquise Reed (guard), Shelton Mitchell (guard), Gabe Devoe (guard), Elijah Thomas (forward), and Donte Grantham (forward). Hofstra is starting Wormley, Wright-Foreman, Pemberton, Angus III, and Gustys.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Too many turnovers and missed front end of free throws. We can't afford these kinds of mistakes against a superior opponent.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

GET OUT OF THE ZONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Clemson is killing us in the zone. Unlimited wide open looks, we can't beat a team who shoots wide open jumpers.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Cu leads HU in points off turnovers 12 to 3. That is the big difference in the 1st half stats.
jaspegs

Post by jaspegs »

That zone is so bad. Clemson can get whatever look they want on any possession. Two front end of 1 and 1 misses killed us. Hopefully the D can sort itself out in the second half to give us a shot.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I repeat, too many turnovers and missed front end of one and ones. This game should be tighter...we are somewhat intimidated by the name on the front of their jerseys.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We need to figure out how to stop these runs. We're down 15, but actually shooting a higher percentage than Clemson, because we're letting them get so many shots off.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

eh.......

I thought Clemson was very good and could answer the tricks and controlled the flow. Under those circumstances, we can't make mistakes like missed front ends, picking up unnecessary fouls, missed defensive assignments, etc. Clemson capitalized on all of those.

Lots to grow from here, but, on balance, we have a lot to work with as well.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Definitely stayed in zone too long...
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The zone doesn’t work. Let justput it in the scrap heap. Our bigs have to learn to play defense under control. Clemson was going inside and we got killer in the paint. We need to figure out how to deny the entry pass into the paint
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It was the first time since at least 2005-2006 that Hofstra did not have any steals or blocked shots.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Be interesting to see how the team comes out against Auburn...how hard they play and how motivated they are ??

Love to see us beat Auburn and leave the tourney 2-1
Polito

Post by Polito »

Well, certainly not too thrilled to see them get blown out, was hoping for a close competitive ending...

But, I'm going to chalk this one up to facing a team that is frankly better, all around. Clemson has some real talent, a few top 150 guys, size everywhere, athleticism everywhere, etc. It was a tough game, and really a bad matchup.

HU should've been able to keep within 10-12, but it is what it is. Clemson shocked me with the number of 3's they took in the first half - nearly everytime down the floor - actually kept HU in the game. No question they owned the paint, on O and D. Just too big and too quick.

I'm not going to overanalyze this one. There were some flashes of great and some real headscratchers.

I think JWF is pressing to be the hero, just needs to realize it's already his team, just play your game. He forced bad shots in the 2nd, yet still had some truly big time plays.

Rok is very sloppy, although displayed a beautiful spin move a few times. He's mistiming his rebounding jumps, bobbling the ball, and still doesn't finish with authority, misses easy points, etc.

Wormley... all I'm gonna say is "I told you so". Love his defensive intensity though, and no question his size helps there.

The freshmen looked overwhelmed in this one.

Angus was held in check a bit.

Liked Sabety again, and Buie - no issue w/going with the bigger point in this game, but DB needs to be the primary guy in most games. Undersized obviously, but a VERY good PG.

On to Auburn. This is a SUPER tourney for HU - Dayton, Clemson, and Auburn ALL on national TV - I mean that is absolutely fantastic!

This game will be the measure of the weekend for me. 2-1 is the sign of some big things. 1-2, even though it's been against tough comp, would damper expectations for me. Harsh perhaps, but I'm not interested in an FSU tourney again - it's time to get over the hump.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra had a free throw percentage of .300, which was their worst since they made 1 out of 6 at Notre Dame on November 22, 2005. Losing 69-50 against the best out of conference opponent they faced could have made them be snubbed. That was 393 games ago.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

We lost this game in the last three minutes of the first half. Clemson was up by four and hit two wide-open threes to make it 40-30. The rest of the game was downhill from there. Even the announcers lost interest. By the end of the game, they were talking about something else.

Wormley seems to pick up a lot of early fouls. He's going to have to work on that.

Where was Trueheart -- hurt?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Jojogunne wrote: Where was Trueheart -- hurt?
He hasn’t played all season except in the final few minutes of the Kennesaw blowout win. Seems like he is just last man off the bench this season.