Game 3 vs Dayton

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Pride97

Game 3 vs Dayton

Post by Pride97 »

Wow wow wow. Thought they were going to blow it, but they were huge at the line down the stretch - including Rok!!! Pemba balled tonight! Way to hang tough on a hostile environment. Great win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike34

Re: Game 3 vs Dayton

Post by Mike34 »

Pemba and JWF absolutely owned the game tonight
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

This was one of the biggest out of conference wins in a very long time. Only one turnover in the second half. RG sinking two clutch free throws. Many positives in the win versus a very good A10 Anthony Grant program. HU outrebounding UD 39-37. Holding UD to 69 points.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

mea culpa
Cards

Post by Cards »

Very, very, very nice!

Eli was awesome tonight, but you can honestly say that there were many contributions from many players. Good defense when we needed it, taking charges when we needed it, hitting free throws when we needed them, key rebounds when we need them. Great team effort!

For the next three months there is a lot to be excited about :D :D
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Brownell next on the redemption tour, let's go!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Let's GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Great win tonight..

Eli balled out tonight, so happy for him. Rok also had a great game defensively, and hit FT's when it counted.. This team won a game that we lost 100 times over in past years.. Cant wait for Clemson tomorrow..
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

My mom said Wright-Foreman shouldn't play 40 minutes. He made 6 out of 22 field goals including 3 out of 13 in the second half. Because of how many shots he took, I'd argue for Angus III (7 points and 6 rebounds) and Gustys (5 points and 10 rebounds) over him. The field goal percentages were .443 for Dayton and .373 for Hofstra. It was Hofstra's worst field goal percentage in a win since they shot .350 in a 65-60 win hosting Northeastern on February 21, 2016. The NCAA average field goal percentage last season was .444. Hofstra had 9 assists, which was their fewest assists in a win since another neutral site game where Hofstra had a minority of the fans in the CAA Semifinal win over William & Mary on March 6, 2016. Hofstra won that game 70-67, which is similar to tonight's 72-69.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400989812 is the Associated Press recap.

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2017 ... ayton.html is what Jerry Beach wrote before the game.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

ProudofPride wrote:Here are 2 fun reads from a Dayton guy.
A preview of the game with good insight on HU, that actually picks us to win: http://www.blackburnreview.com/recon-hofstra/
And a Q&A with answers by Vinny Simone of NYC Buckets and our own Jerry Beach: https://t.co/Dy42sWwYs7?amp=1
Cool job by Vinny and Jerry but they are wrong about Coppola as he did graduate Hofstra in 1960. They may be confusing Coppola with Christopher Walken, who was only at Hofstra for a semester before pursuing acting.

More importantly, awesome Hofstra win tonight!
Polito

Post by Polito »

WHHOOOHHOOO!!!!

Big time W!! Absolutely stoked - a lot to really like, and yet I still see a lot of room for improvement - the ceiling is looking very high for this group. Another huge test tomorrow with an ACC squad right on the heels...

Love it FD, the Redemption Tour - let's make it happen!

Pemba once again is looking poised for a breakout star year - and another game where JWF played well, but still not his best, and the team wins - this is HUGE - he had a highlight reel move to the hoop near the end of the game though that was straight stud

Absolutely ecstatic with the intensity of D we are seeing - HU held their star Cunningham to single digits - HUGE

And to be hitting FT's (!!!) to me is the difference in the game - go Rok go big fella!!

I was going crazy during the sequence near the end where the team went to the freshman Radovic like 4 times in a row and he missed every shot and turned the ball over with sloppy play - love his confidence, hated the team getting him the ball so many times like that in a tight game - you can try him once or twice, and if he's not feeling it, you get the ball to your money guys and they make the play - you know he's streaky, going to him every time down the floor that sequence was a poor plan. Let's not repeat that.

But this is going to end up being a VERY strong W - it's Grant's first year, but he has talent and will coach them up...not sure if they have enough to win the A10 this year, but they should be a good squad when it's all said and done.

Ok, Clemson is NEXT! HU was able to shock many with a big W against FSU with Green, and then really disappointed the next game. Let's beat that performance this time!

Tough game again, and the first test of back to back games in a tournament - love that this is in Charleston, gearing up for when it really matters! Let's build off this win and attack this tournament with an undeniable will to win it all!

#ROLLPRIDE
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Was I the only one waiting for them to blow it? A few too many low percentage chances there middle to late part of the second half, most of which looked like they were flopping a bit, trying to get some calls. Nice job to not break once they went down, though, and to quickly take it back.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

HofstraHockey wrote:Was I the only one waiting for them to blow it? A few too many low percentage chances there middle to late part of the second half, most of which looked like they were flopping a bit, trying to get some calls. Nice job to not break once they went down, though, and to quickly take it back.
I think we all had that sinking feeling when Dayton came back to tie it but we showed poise, and played tough...and as for D that's what I said all along, we needed some bigger guards and some depth and voila! We're playing good D. OK now to Clemson...GO PRIDE!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Actually Dayton took the lead 69-68. We just closed it out on a 4-0 run.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I️ looked at the recap on Dayton’s website. It has to be the worst recap I️ have ever read. It looks like the writer just looked at the Dayton box score and wrote the article. No mention of any Hofstra player.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I think we're lucky we got Dayton when we did...IMO that is a real good team that has not hit it's stride yet. Greek Freak 3.0 will be a force. I have a feeling this win will look even better down the road.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

It reminds me of the win we had against Florida State a couple of years ago
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Very nice W but lots of concerns
Defense - Gustys especially, not getting into position in time or setting up too early and letting guys go right around him, bad fouls
Gustys dropping half the passes sent his way, want to see more Sabety
They at least need Buie out there down the stretch, giving them at least the possibility of getting a good shot off. No baskets for the last 6 1/2 minutes. Plus he's a better free throw shooter than Wormley.
JWF taking way too many shots. 9 team assists is brutal
Radovic looks overmatched, rushing shots

Positives
They won the game - after than the run in the 1st half never let Dayton get in a rhythm again
Defense did get stops down the stretch
Pemba was a stud
Rok hitting both free throws in crunch time was huge
Love what Angus brings

Gonna try to get to the Savoy tonight for the 9:30 start.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

cactus wrote:Very nice W but lots of concerns
Defense - Gustys especially, not getting into position in time or setting up too early and letting guys go right around him, bad fouls
Gustys dropping half the passes sent his way, want to see more Sabety
They at least need Buie out there down the stretch, giving them at least the possibility of getting a good shot off. No baskets for the last 6 1/2 minutes. Plus he's a better free throw shooter than Wormley.
JWF taking way too many shots. 9 team assists is brutal
Radovic looks overmatched, rushing shots

Positives
They won the game - after than the run in the 1st half never let Dayton get in a rhythm again
Defense did get stops down the stretch
Pemba was a stud
Rok hitting both free throws in crunch time was huge
Love what Angus brings

Gonna try to get to the Savoy tonight for the 9:30 start.
Agree with a lot of your points.

Two particularly - one negative and one positive...

Rok has major trouble catching quick passes under the hoop. The guards have been trying to drive and dump off to him and it bounces off his hands a lot. He’d be a real scoring threat underneath if he had softer hands. On the other hand, he looks like he’s really worked on his FTs in the off season. Not only has he been sinking them, but his form is MUCH improved.

I really like what Angus has shown so far. Definitely a Koon type contributor. Does a little of everything. He bigger though so able to bang down low more. Very excited to have a player like that again. Very important role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'm going to (try to) be patient with Radovic, I mean he is a true freshmen and didn't get the kind of minutes at Montverde he's getting now after being behind #1 '18 Duke-bound RJ Barrett. He can, and I think will to an extent, improve/develop with more experience. How much we'll see, but he has the tools to be good.

I see a guy with great size for the 3/4, moves well, has range, can drive to the basket, can rebound, handle the rock, has confidence, works on D, and always seems to be open. Challenge is he's streaky, and needs to get his D1 footing... it will frustrate, but there is some real potential.

HU will need his shot to help spread the floor, start runs, stop bleeding, shift momentum, etc. Really hoping we see him get hot in one of these games this weekend to see just how much of an impact he can make.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Gustys has had 3 games with only 1 field goal attempt from his sophomore year on, and all of them were in tournaments. There was last night, a CAA Semifinal win over William & Mary on March 6, 2016, and a 94-84 loss to South Carolina on November 22, 2015 in the U.S. Virgin Islands.