Dutch Nation '17-'18!

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraPride1

Re: Dutch Nation '17-'18!

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Love the shirts! Is also cool you spoke to Dina Lohan after! I'm very excited for the events in store this winter and spring.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

cactus wrote: so for an outing we're going to focus on the Stonybrook game, which is also during the week (Thurs Dec 12th).
December 12 is Tuesday.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

EvanJ wrote:
cactus wrote: so for an outing we're going to focus on the Stonybrook game, which is also during the week (Thurs Dec 12th).
December 12 is Tuesday.
Right, I was looking at the wrong month. They're both weekday games still unfortunately Image

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks for the recap Cactus, it was a fun night for sure!

Small group, the rest of you are missing out.

Shirts designs, a topic of the night, are absolutely fantastic Cactus! ORDER THEM, put me down for a couple. I like a couple of the designs, especially the blue with the dunker in the middle, BUT I do think we should have at least 2 versions of something, a yellow and a blue, for games where we do an 'effect' (like wear all blue, or all yellow).

Let us know what kind of deal we're looking at so we can start taking orders - goal is to wear these for the home opener! Oh, do we have options on the shirt type/quality? I.E. like an athletic under armor type? Would love for us to do better than the free giveaways... the all-cotton shrink horribly after one-wash deals are no bueno. AND sizes please - no one-size XL for all, let's look the best we can with stuff that fits! I know, I ask for a lot, but I'm fired up!

As mentioned, we are working on a big tailgate for the Army game. I am talking to the school about actually doing a watch party for the Charleston Classic weekend on campus at HUSA (starting with Dayton) - will keep everyone posted.

If not there, obvious next steps are the Turtle or Savoy.

We also want to coordinate a big turnout for SBU - GREAT opp for us to show out on the road against local rival.

Obviously Nova will be sick, and we will work on something for that too. All in all, a LOT of great stuff coming out of this kick-off, thanks to those who came through, and the out-of-staters who were there in spirit!

#DUTCHNATION
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito wrote:Thanks for the recap Cactus, it was a fun night for sure!

Small group, the rest of you are missing out.

Shirts designs, a topic of the night, are absolutely fantastic Cactus! ORDER THEM, put me down for a couple. I like a couple of the designs, especially the blue with the dunker in the middle, BUT I do think we should have at least 2 versions of something, a yellow and a blue, for games where we do an 'effect' (like wear all blue, or all yellow).

Let us know what kind of deal we're looking at so we can start taking orders - goal is to wear these for the home opener! Oh, do we have options on the shirt type/quality? I.E. like an athletic under armor type? Would love for us to do better than the free giveaways... the all-cotton shrink horribly after one-wash deals are no bueno. AND sizes please - no one-size XL for all, let's look the best we can with stuff that fits! I know, I ask for a lot, but I'm fired up!

As mentioned, we are working on a big tailgate for the Army game. I am talking to the school about actually doing a watch party for the Charleston Classic weekend on campus at HUSA (starting with Dayton) - will keep everyone posted.

If not there, obvious next steps are the Turtle or Savoy.

We also want to coordinate a big turnout for SBU - GREAT opp for us to show out on the road against local rival.

Obviously Nova will be sick, and we will work on something for that too. All in all, a LOT of great stuff coming out of this kick-off, thanks to those who came through, and the out-of-staters who were there in spirit!

#DUTCHNATION

My cousin has a screenprinter in his shed. If we can decide on the order ahead of time, i.e. shirt brand and sizes, he can give us a good deal. We certainly can do pre-shrunk cotton, jersey or athletic style shirts. Under Armor will be expensive though. If we want to do custom orders, e.g. different style shirts in multiple colors, have people order shirts later on one at a time, etc.. he probably can't do that much for us.

I'm cool with the one with the dunker in the middle. I need to figure out how to allow people to preorder the shirts so we can put together an initial order and decide how to do it. Probably will need a week to order and print the shirts.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Sights and sounds from first official team practice on Monday 10/2. A little over a month till first tip-off :P :P

http://gohofstra.com/news/2017/10/2/men ... ctice.aspx
Polito

Post by Polito »

Anticipation building!! Excited to get this season going - year 5, fully expect to see this team/program take a GIANT step forward - NCAA or NIT or BUST.

Cactus, dunker is def my favorite, although I also like the Property Of and the Karate Kid reference one is great :D I think we should move forward with blue dunker, but also we should have 1 that's a more general to cover all sports - later down the road if the demand is there we can do for each sport. I am open to a yellow, white, or even a gray one (HU's practice color) - would like us to do more color-effect games this year, so any of those could be useful

As far as material, def don't need UA or Nike, but as you said something along the lines of athletic style / quality / and fit to ensure we get more than one use out of them - I would like to wear this to a lot of games, our pseudo uniform

Thoughts on short sleeves vs long? I never really got the short sleeves thing during hoops season as it's Nov-Mar, but I'm open - just no hoodies pls to start, not my thing. 8-)

Let's finalize our thoughts folks, more of your feedback, and get this ordered so we can be ready for the home opener!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

lets start with the blue dunker.
i created a new thread with a poll where you can all let me know what size you want so I can put together an order.
http://flyingdutchmenfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1439
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

We're going to need more people to commit to shirts to order them in time for the start of the season!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Still not seeing t-shirt pre-orders. Please post in the thread here (click the link to take you to the other thread) what sizes you would want and if you want long or short sleeve. We've worked out a really good deal on these shirts and they will be under armor quality, not cheap giveaway stuff.

Thanks.
Polito

Post by Polito »

The lack of participation here is an embarrassment.

Some of you in particular... seriously :roll: . Truly baffling. Do you just not care? No interest? Can't afford 20 bucks? Hate the design? Hate shirts? Hate basketball? Hate Hofstra? Hate life?

Real question - the answers would help us tremendously going forward.

Cactus, what would be our cost if no one else bothers to jump on the deal? I am absolutely in for these for the opener.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito wrote:The lack of participation here is an embarrassment.

Some of you in particular... seriously :roll: . Truly baffling. Do you just not care? No interest? Can't afford 20 bucks? Hate the design? Hate shirts? Hate basketball? Hate Hofstra? Hate life?

Cactus, what would be our cost if no one else bothers to jump on the deal? I am absolutely in for these for the opener.
At a volume of 25+ we were getting a deal from Stu's supplier for the blank shirts and then a deal from my cousin to print them.

For a smaller amount would have to order them individually from a retail site. Would be around $35 each + shipping.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Because people aren't ordering shirts, its an embarrassment? Cmon dude.. Instead of Under Armour like quality, you can walk to the student center and buy actual Under Armour or Nike, officially licensed.

I get that ur mad, but to say that people don't care about the program because we don't want a shirt, thats the baffling part. Many of the people who post on here, myself included, have truckloads of Hofstra shirts in our drawers.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Hofstra wrote:

Because people aren't ordering shirts, its an embarrassment? Cmon dude.. Instead of Under Armour like quality, you can walk to the student center and buy actual Under Armour or Nike, officially licensed.

I get that ur mad, but to say that people don't care about the program because we don't want a shirt, thats the baffling part. Many of the people who post on here, myself included, have truckloads of Hofstra shirts in our drawers.
The t-shirts are for this group/board. It's not a hofstra t-shirt. The shirts are coming from under armor's supplier, so they are the same thing you would get if you bought "officially licensed', and I will take them to get the logo we designed printed on it, and they're only going to be around $14 for the short sleeve and $22 for the long sleeve. Stu and I both worked to get a deal on them separately from a supplier and a screenprinter.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Heyyy, we got one out of the woodwork!! First I will say, thank you Hofstra for actually taking the time to reply - clearly there won't be many others, so at least you did that. Half a point? :P

Second, let's clarify a few things:

#1) I am not 'mad', however, I think it's very disappointing that the fans on this board can't even respond to this thread. That to me is an embarrassment. You don't want the shirt? Fine. Just SAY SO. The lack of participation I find ridiculous. Case in point, why did it take my post to get you to reply? For as bad as most fans here rag on student apathy, I am also seeing it run rampant HERE.

#2) As Cactus has already pointed out, these shirts are not Hofstra shirts, they are custom designed and made for the fan group spawned from THIS board for all of us. And I imagine you were one of those fans who touted excitement and full support for the establishment of said group, among many others who have not even had the common courtesy to PARTICIPATE.

And I am actually not the one who did the work in this case, it is Stu and Cactus who took their personal time and effort to help make this happen - understand full well that no one asked them to so no one 'owes' them a purchase, BUT at the very least folks should show some appreciation and respect to their fellow fans by replying to the thread. I find the ignoring / lack of care rude for them. Perhaps others do not...?

#3) You completely missed the point of this fan effort and this thread. And it's not rocket science, so actually, that is the baffling part to me. This is about OUR group of fans on this board, supposedly the true ones, coming together in an organized fashion to help improve our OWN experiences rooting for HU. Yet your view is you were just pinged about some knockoff Hofstra shirt not from the bookstore. Not gonna lie, that attitude/perception is really disappointing, even if it isn't intentional :shock: :? :roll:

Look I know we all root for HU, we are all on the same side, that is why I am not 'mad'. But that is also why I do find it disappointing. And quite frankly, I would think anyone else who is a true blue fan would as well.

Ahh, but hey, that's just crazy ol me being a passionate FAN :lol: #DUTCHNATION
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I am going to pass on the shirt. I have plenty of gear from Hofstra including a blue basketball jersey they gave season ticket holders last year and they are giving us a yellow basketball jersey this year. I do get that this is different and its for "Dutch Nation" and not just Hofstra.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks for the reply HM. To each his own.

I love the idea of unity and representing the group. This could've been a great opportunity for us all to finally show some visual connection for the Admin to help us continue to have a collective voice.

Alas, perhaps the home opener tailgate will be more your style, and others. Hope to see you there.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hey All,

I will be at The Green Turtle with my uncle to pre-game Sat night Feb 3rd if anyone wants to grab a bit/drink beforehand. Figuring around 5:30pm to head over to the arena around 6:30pm...

Also, bringing the wife and kids to the game Sat afternoon Feb 24th as well.

You are all welcome to come battle me / say hi in person, would be great to see and converse live with everyone :D
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I'm also going to be at Green Turtle with some people I'm going to game with so will look out for you there.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Can Hofstra do something like this? (selfishly, because I'm addicted to this show):
https://twitter.com/FurmanMarketing/sta ... 2908380160