Dutch Nation '17-'18!

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Re: Dutch Nation '17-'18!

Post by HUSID74 »

OK I'm back! For some reason I could not get my old handle HUSID80 to work anymore...something to do with multiple computers, logins, etc.

I am now HUSID74, which is more appropriate as I started at Hofstra back in the dark ages of 1974.

Ok, so now I must confess that I cannot make the 9/26 meeting...I have a golf tournament that I play every year in Rhode Island...however I will be there in spirit and I'm looking forward to a great upcoming Hoops season.

And for those of you who have not seen him, the Serbian freshman...Name escapes me right now....is the REAL deal....word is he's one of the team's top five ALREADY! Great pickup!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

We should set up a viewing party for Thursday 11/16 7:30 PM game vs. Dayton on ESPNU
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great to have you back HUSID! Was wondering... lol

We'll miss you at the Dutch Nation kickoff meeting, but def appreciate your insight to Radovic - would be ecstatic if he pans out to be a stud - seems like he has talent, comes from super program, and has the prototypical size and skill set to be an impact stretch 4 - I like the different styles available between him and Angus, gives HU options in that spot

Now him already being one of the top talents on the team, I mean that could be taken either way lol - not sure if that means he is THAT good and a legit diamond in the rough, or if the rest of the team is in need of a major talent upgrade

Time will tell, but for now, will take this as HU landed a steal!

As far as away game planning, this is a major topic for the 26th - there are a number of games we need to discuss as a group, both home and away.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Good to be back Polito! Very strange how I got blocked out of the forum. Maybe someone is trying to tell me something!!!!

As for Radovic I saw for myself...very athletic, legit 6-7 runs the floor can go inside and is not afraid to shoot the 3...when I saw him, he was not hiotting many 3's but he had just come in from Serbia the day before...

I choose to be on the positive side...the fact that he's already being one of our top five is GREAT news!

Sorry I can't make the 26th so I expect a full report!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

ok guys just got out of surgery today but should be able to attend the meeting. seth tierney wanted to attend so badly but will be with john danowski and team usa on the 26th he promised to attend our next meeting he will put aside that night for us.sorry about the small caps only cant use my left hand
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

ok guys the meeting is tomorrow night at 8pm at the Savoy grill in merrick. Would it be asking too much to get a head count guys. At least tell us even if you cannot make it.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Just to confirm, we are ON for tomorrow night, hope to see you all there!!

Question going forward:

I have received an interesting recommendation from a friend about holding these events on campus. Now I would need to do some leg work with this option, so before I do, I wanted to pose it here - would you all find the campus location to be of TRUE high value to the extent you would attend moreso than Merrick?

Or would it not really make much of a difference either way?
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Polito wrote:Just to confirm, we are ON for tomorrow night, hope to see you all there!!

Question going forward:

I have received an interesting recommendation from a friend about holding these events on campus. Now I would need to do some leg work with this option, so before I do, I wanted to pose it here - would you all find the campus location to be of TRUE high value to the extent you would attend moreso than Merrick?

It wouldn't make a difference to me, but if it would help others show up I'd be for it. I personally love Savoy.
garyg

Post by garyg »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
Polito wrote:Just to confirm, we are ON for tomorrow night, hope to see you all there!!

Question going forward:

It wouldn't make a difference to me, but if it would help others show up I'd be for it. I personally love Savoy.
Would they let us hold events at Hofstra USA ??
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I will be there tomorrow. I might go to meetings at Hofstra, but I prefer Savoy because I live in Merrick.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I'm in, may have to bring my kids, I'll set them up at a different table.
I prefer savoy because they have good beer and food, but I'm fine either way.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I can't make it tonight.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Found someone to watch kids so just me. Dooku has a work meeting and won't make it.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

For people who were able to attend, how did it go?

As most people know, I live several hours away so I'll unfortunately never be able to go, at least in person. However, just my 2 cents here. I think it's a good idea to try to have meetings on campus, and try to center them around an HU athletics event. Most people here go to men's basketball and lacrosse games, but why not try to support other teams as a group, and have meetings either before or after a game? The point of this group is to essentially support HU athletics, so it makes sense to support other teams around campus. I bet all of the other "less popular" sports would love having more fans attend, could start with field hockey and volleyball this fall, or soccer as well but msoc and wsoc both tend to get more fans than the other 2 fall sports.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

We had a small turnout, but the beer and food were good as always. Dina Lohan was there; she is not interested in Hofstra athletics, but I took what was probably my first "selfie" with her and Polito. Fun times. Here is a recap of what we discussed:

We're going to set up a nice tailgate for the home opener against Army on Friday, November 10th. Going to set up around 4 - 4:30 PM. Anyone who can attend is welcome. If you'd like to bring anything, please let Stu/Polito know.

Thursday, November 16th at 7:30 PM is vs. Dayton, on ESPNU. We (Polito?) are going to reach out to the Green Turtle to see if we can have some sort of viewing event. We can also do the Savoy, especially if the owner Guy, who has been great to us, follows through with brewing a Hofstra-themed IPA.

The Monmouth game is during the week (Weds Dec. 6th), so for an outing we're going to focus on the Stonybrook game, which is also during the week (Thurs Dec 12th). I am going to contact Po' Boy Brewery, which is about 10 minutes east of Stonybrook, to see if we can have a meetup there. They just have bar food (pretzels, cheese plates, etc.) but maybe they can get a food truck there. We discussed buying a trophy and giving it a catchy name (e.g. Long Island Expressway Cup) and having the schools present to the winner each time they play.

Looking to get some t-shirts made for us as a group. Attached are a few ideas I threw together earlier today. Any input/suggestions or other options are welcome.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Cactus. The second one is it. Bowed letters and the yellow color pops on the blue background
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Instead of basketball in the middle how about a player in flight about to dunk
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

stuball888 wrote:Instead of basketball in the middle how about a player in flight about to dunk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Now that's a slam dunk! perfect!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Jay I had 12 people look at the choice of shirts. 6 men and 6 women. All the men chose the second design with the blue background. 4 of the 6 women chose the yellow shirt. I think we should go blue especially for away games