Hofstra vs Villanova - 12/22/17 (Nassau Coliseum)

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraPride1

Re: Hofstra vs Villanova - 12/22/17 (Nassau Coliseum)

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Jojogunne wrote:Billy Joel opened the coliseum last night. Parking cost $40. Yikes.
Parking is ludicrous, but will range from $5 to $40 depending on event so I imagine for Hofstra-Villanova game won't be nearly that high. They had patrols at Hofstra entrances yesterday to prevent people from parking there and walking across the street, but I bet that won't be the case for most events there.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

word is the coliseum still sucks. still tiny concourse and entrances where you can't move, huge lines for bathroom.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Not a big surprise, another Nassau County boondoggle
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

cactus wrote:word is the coliseum still sucks. still tiny concourse and entrances where you can't move, huge lines for bathroom.
Attended the WWE event there. The concourses were certainly surprisingly small for a brand new building, although with a sold out show there was still room to walk with plenty of concession stands with smaller lines (the Smokin' Al's was delicious!) I really enjoyed the experience of the new arena. Outside architecture stunning from the streets and especially up close. The Marriott offer $20 parking for the event (as opposed to the $35 in the Coliseum parking lot...Was only an extra 3 minute walk).

Overall pretty much a smaller version of the Barclay's Center (same designers). Inside still has a 'Nassau Coliseum vibe' but of course feels much more modern. This will definitely encourage more popular artists to host concerts as opposed to the ugly interior the old coliseum provided. It might not have 'The Barn' feel that we all know and love, but I think it's perfect for what they needed.

Not a huge traffic disaster like the Lighthouse Plan would've caused, but enough of a renovation to give the area surrounding Hofstra a boost. Which is desperately needed, especially after Cuomo's' new public school plan. Hofstra needed something to prove the $40k a year is worth it. Now all I wanna see is a bridge connecting Hofstra to the Coliseum parking lot and maybe a Sports bar or two. Give it a more lively vibe. I was doubtful about an Islanders return. But assuming there is no restrictions, I wouldn't doubt a return. The size allows for a sold out crowd every game (but it was much larger than I assumed it'd be). It's a much more suitable venue for the Islanders than the Barclay's Center.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

It's not a "brand new" building, unfortunately- it's lipstick on a pig. Still 2,000 seats short of what you need for an NHL team to be viable. I don't know where you're going to shove 2,000 more seats.

And while the area isn't a disaster right now, wait until all of that parking is in garages, not open lots, and you're fighting with the movie theater and medical buildings, 2 more hotels, and retail. On the plus side, the area won't look like a demilitarized zone anymore, and prospective students arriving off the Meadowbrook will see a real, developed area, not a vacant lot.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

HofstraHockey wrote:It's not a "brand new" building, unfortunately- it's lipstick on a pig. Still 2,000 seats short of what you need for an NHL team to be viable. I don't know where you're going to shove 2,000 more seats.

And while the area isn't a disaster right now, wait until all of that parking is in garages, not open lots, and you're fighting with the movie theater and medical buildings, 2 more hotels, and retail. On the plus side, the area won't look like a demilitarized zone anymore, and prospective students arriving off the Meadowbrook will see a real, developed area, not a vacant lot.
Honestly, if the county was smart, they would demolish the NC immediately and start over with new housing. The Islanders will never come back to that waste of money.

Nobody is touching that land, because who in their right mind would work with Nassau County on anything. We have the stupidest, most inept legislators in the nation, it's a fruitless waste of time, as we all know. The best thing that could happen is that all major acts shun the piece of crap Nassau County put together and flock to the Barlcays or the new arena the Islanders will build. That will allow Hofstra to dictate reasonable terms to have access to Nassau Coliseum for big games.

While I think Hofstra would/should abandon all sports before forming a D-1 hockey program, we would be able to have access to facilities for a D-1 program with the new NC not having a full-time tenant.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Maybe my youth exposes my naivety, but why is there so much negativity surrounding this new arena? From what I recall this is not being funded through the taxpayers (as that outrageous 'Lighthouse Plan' was), and it has already brought in top rated performers and I assume will continue to. It's given us a site to host top ranked teams (e.g.,Villanova).

I certainly prefer it over the vacant that was the old Coliseum. I think access to reasonably priced performances, games, etc. right across the street at a brand new arena is definitely not deterring prospective students. What exactly am I missing?
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Well, for me at least, it was promised that it was going to be truly fixed, and instead they kind of just redid it a bit. In addition, the proposal that Dolan/MSG made for the property included using the NE corner of the Hofstra campus and really developing the area.

That property has been so underutilized in the past, and this is more of it. While yes, it was done with private funds, the fact that it wasn't made to accommodate an NHL team (and believe me, I'm no Islanders apologist) just kind of exacerbates the problems that it has had. It will ultimately be a good thing for Hofstra, yes. I think everyone's problems are more macro than what it does for the University.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

HofstraHockey wrote:Well, for me at least, it was promised that it was going to be truly fixed, and instead they kind of just redid it a bit. In addition, the proposal that Dolan/MSG made for the property included using the NE corner of the Hofstra campus and really developing the area.

That property has been so underutilized in the past, and this is more of it. While yes, it was done with private funds, the fact that it wasn't made to accommodate an NHL team (and believe me, I'm no Islanders apologist) just kind of exacerbates the problems that it has had. It will ultimately be a good thing for Hofstra, yes. I think everyone's problems are more macro than what it does for the University.
Thank you, 100% understandable. The comments just seemed overly pessimistic with very little appreciation that it is not a barren wasteland. For a while I was afraid the ugly mess that is Hempstead Turnpike would either continue to host a rotting building or eventually become a hefty traffic mess of new condos, apartments, etc.

I'm pretty content with the median they reached, but fully understand the criticism.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Please refresh my memory. What does our OOC schedule look like for 2017-18.

Thanks very much.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jojogunne wrote:Please refresh my memory. What does our OOC schedule look like for 2017-18.

Thanks very much.
Here are the games I know of for sure, I could be forgetting some.

@Siena, Villanova at the Coliseum, and 3 games in the Charleston Classic (possible opponents are Auburn, Clemson, Dayton, Indiana State, Old Dominion, Ohio, Temple).

And I would assume we have the return game @ Stony Brook, but I don't know for sure.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Thanks very much, PoP.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

ProudofPride wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:Please refresh my memory. What does our OOC schedule look like for 2017-18.

Thanks very much.
Here are the games I know of for sure, I could be forgetting some.

@Siena, Villanova at the Coliseum, and 3 games in the Charleston Classic (possible opponents are Auburn, Clemson, Dayton, Indiana State, Old Dominion, Ohio, Temple).

And I would assume we have the return game @ Stony Brook, but I don't know for sure.
Adding to this, looks like we're playing at Rider on 12/9. https://twitter.com/brandonscalea/statu ... 2775143424
Polito

Post by Polito »

No major issues per say with the road games, some good stuff obviously with Nova and the Classic - fine with Siena Rider and SBU...

Big question is, who are they going to play at HOME???
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Polito wrote:No major issues per say with the road games, some good stuff obviously with Nova and the Classic - fine with Siena Rider and SBU...

Big question is, who are they going to play at HOME???

We host Kennesaw State on November 13.
http://www.ksuowls.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Also, if anyone is interested in going to the Charleston Classic, the tournament announced early bird ticket and travel packages yesterday that are available for purchase now. I'm not sure why Hofstra didn't announce since this other schools did, I actually discovered this through an Ohio fan. http://espnevents.com/charleston-classi ... _Redirects
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to the Siena message board, HU at Siena, the Saturday after Thanksgiving November 25th. Also HU versus Manhattan at Adelphi on Wednesday December 20th. The Mack Arena will be set up due to mid-year graduation and will not be available for MBB.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Nassau Coliseum tweeted yesterday that Hofstra-Villanova tickets go on sale Friday morning, link in the tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/NYCBLive/sta ... 7308659713

As far as of the rest of the schedule, Vinny Simone was on campus for last night's practice, and tweeted that the full non-conference schedule should be released today. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about it from the school, usually the announce the date a couple days before and do some sort of cool release like a video.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Really poor delivery of the schedule this year - completely out of the blue with no excitement or teaser whatsoever.

AND it's very lackluster at home - I mean at least TRY to mask it and hype up SOMETHING

Does anyone understand marketing over there?? Anyone have a real grasp on how to build buzz?? Which when done properly will lead to increased fan support???

I think it's time HU made an attractive offer to me to lead this effort. Seriously.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

You can get tickets now for the game- enter the code LISHOW for the presale. $48 bottom of the 200s, $28 up top. Up to $190 each, if you want to be real close.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

HofstraHockey wrote:You can get tickets now for the game- enter the code LISHOW for the presale. $48 bottom of the 200s, $28 up top. Up to $190 each, if you want to be real close.
That's a joke. I'll get the $190 tickets off stubhub for $20 day of.