Men's Basketball Game 18 at Elon On January 12, 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Men's Basketball Game 18 at Elon On January 12, 2017

Post by Wags »

Forget Kentucky, this is easily the bIggest game of the season to date. Desperately need a win to stop the bleeding. Assuming a loss at UNCW (while hoping for an unlikely win), there's a huge difference ending the first third of CAA play at 2-4 instead of 1-5. So they need to find a win at Elon however they can get it.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wags wrote:Forget Kentucky, this is easily the bIggest game of the season to date. Desperately need a win to stop the bleeding. Assuming a loss at UNCW (while hoping for an unlikely win), there's a huge difference ending the first third of CAA play at 2-4 instead of 1-5. So they need to find a win at Elon however they can get it.
Totally agree Wags...huge game and definitely winnable....beat Elon and anything can happen against UNCW...I'm sure the staff and players are well aware of where they stand...hope we can get back to the way we were playing against SB and Siena
Polito

Post by Polito »

Elon is scrappy, tough and as noted very key game for sure.

Do NOT want to get caught looking ahead to UNCW - this is a must-FOCUS game. Will be very curious to see if this coaching staff has found any answers, and if the players are ready to play their positions and as a TEAM.
mriordan

Post by mriordan »

Are Powers and Gustys OK for tonight? Need both.....
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcas ... slive=hofs has statistics. Hofstra is starting Powers (guard), Pemberton (guard), Gustys (center), Bernardi (guard), and Robinson (forward). Elon is starting Brian Dawkins (forward), Dmitri Thompson (guard), Dainan Swoope (guard), Steven Santa Ana (guard), and Tyler Seibring (forward). http://static.caasports.com/custompages ... m#team.ind has Elon's statistics.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

A little less than 14 minutes left in the first half, we're already down 21-11 with Elon shooting 80%. I literally think no one on our team even cares anymore, since no one bothers to change anything.

Elian's leading scorer, Santa Ana, averages 12.5 points per game. He already 13 less than halfway through the first half. It's the same story every game with this team. Zero defense, poor rebounding, poor offense (despite how much the coaches say how good our offense), and letting the opponent's leading scorer go off. Doesn't matter who we play.
Last edited by ProudofPride on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

26 pts on 10/15 shooting by the under-12?

I'm not sure who cares less about defending, Hofstra or the Knicks. And that's saying something.

Go back to Flying Dutchmen, because the PRIDE is certainly not there!!! (I know, pride of lions, but the statement is still true in the other regard). How much will UNCW have by the half? 60? 70?
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Wags wrote:I'm not sure who cares less about defending, Hofstra or the Knicks. And that's saying something.
HA! I've been thinking about that all day.

We're totally lost defensively, it's brutal to watch. Joe should be embarrassed, the wheels have fallen off.
Polito

Post by Polito »

4 min till half and I'm sad to say I have to turn it off.

This team is very difficult to watch. Awful shooting, porous D, no plays just stop and pop from 3 every time down the floor, constant fouling, and no leadership

I know it's a transition yr but I'm sorry this is more than that, this is a horrific style of basketball.

Have to admit, my confidence level in this staffs ability to coach a team to win without Green is dipping....
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

As I am watching this half, I am thinking to myself "this is just not a likable team". It seems as if there is no communication on the court, and the plays being called are few and far between.. This entire team is just brutal. We really see how great Tank and 'Ye were
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

LOL Elon scored more against us in the first half than Kentucky did. The team just head to the airport now, no point in even showing up for the second half or the UNCW game. The team has completely given up now. Zero effort anywhere on the floor.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Hofstra wrote:As I am watching this half, I am thinking to myself "this is just not a likable team". It seems as if there is no communication on the court, and the plays being called are few and far between.. This entire team is just brutal. We really see how great Tank and 'Ye were
Stop with the plays...this is not football...we are a team built on threes and we can't hit them on the road...that's obvious and we can't defend...how many kids have had their career highs against us this year???
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

HUSID80 wrote:
Hofstra wrote:As I am watching this half, I am thinking to myself "this is just not a likable team". It seems as if there is no communication on the court, and the plays being called are few and far between.. This entire team is just brutal. We really see how great Tank and 'Ye were
Stop with the plays...this is not football...we are a team built on threes and we can't hit them on the road...that's obvious and we can't defend...how many kids have had their career highs against us this year???
In basketball, you have set offensive plays. I am not calling them "A" and "B", but run the offense through someone. One possession its Powers with a pull up 3, the next its Eli, the next its Jamal. We have gotten to the rack with ease this game, but have not gone enough. There has to be discipline with their offense, and I see none so far.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Team is absolutely out of control, zero focus, they play like they don't even have a coach with a strategy to win (maybe they don't!). Offensive possessions are either one on one drives or chuck up the three.

BB loses the ball at least 3 times of the dribble, and keep throwing up threes that he cant hit. Horrendous!

EP would have 8 turnovers if they counted the bad passes he threw away - as it is he had 6.

DP is looking to score not be a true PG.

Defense, OMG, they don't know what the heck it is!

JM leaves JWF and RG on the bench with 2 fouls each. the two of them combined played 12 minutes. Good job JM, we give up 50 and we're down 16. Let them play......jeeezzzz, could it get worse?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Hofstra wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:
In basketball, you have set offensive plays. I am not calling them "A" and "B", but run the offense through someone. One possession its Powers with a pull up 3, the next its Eli, the next its Jamal. We have gotten to the rack with ease this game, but have not gone enough. There has to be discipline with their offense, and I see none so far.
Watch the game they run an offense...just not hitting their shots within the offense
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Just atrocious.

I'm sorry, but Powers does not look to pass to ANYONE. He is not a team player at all and it's a serious problem for the team. Clearly JM isn't saying anything to him about this.

Also - no one on this team pay attention to the three-point shooters at Elon.... back to back to back.

Already knew this game was going to be a disaster when Elon started the first half shooting multiple jumpers over Hofstra. Ridiculous!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Just as I'm sure we all could've predicted, absolutely no halftime adjustments. What does this team even do in the locker room, clearly they don't talk and try to change what they're doing wrong. Elon now has a 20+ point lead and hasn't missed from the field in the second. Elon came into this game with the same record as us, both overall and in the CAA. We're basically the laughing stock of the conference at this point.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Elon can't get past Sabety tonight under the basket. Happy to see it.