Coaches salaries

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
bobe13

Coaches salaries

Post by bobe13 »

Has anyone noticed that coaches salaries have been ridicules high numbers from about $6-7 Mil for top mens BB coaches to about even $350k approx for nw SBU coach plus area adjustment of 3k per year and $500 a month for car allowance.
Rutgers paying Pickel about 1.3 mil a year? I guess being in big ten they have to keep up. I know Rutgers just raised $50 mil for their athletic program from alumni and other donors,

Our taxes are supporting the NY State colleges-where does it end.

I would imagine JAM makes about $350k a year-anyone have an idea?
Wags

Re: Coaches salaries

Post by Wags »

bobe13 wrote:Has anyone noticed that coaches salaries have been ridicules high numbers from about $6-7 Mil for top mens BB coaches to about even $350k approx for nw SBU coach plus area adjustment of 3k per year and $500 a month for car allowance.
Rutgers paying Pickel about 1.3 mil a year? I guess being in big ten they have to keep up. I know Rutgers just raised $50 mil for their athletic program from alumni and other donors,

Our taxes are supporting the NY State colleges-where does it end.

I would imagine JAM makes about $350k a year-anyone have an idea?
I would think it's considerably more than that with the new deal he just got.

HU offered Tim Welsh $600K/yr ($3 mil for 5 yrs) before he threw that away a month later with the DWI. They then hired Cassara for (don't quote me, but pretty sure) about half that per year, although he had no prior head coaching experience and was unemployed three weeks before he became the HU head coach. So I would think JAM, with his extensive experience, is more toward the Welsh range, if not higher (liekly easily higher), with his new contract, coming on the heels of taking a 7-win program to its first regular season CAA title, and within a play or two of its first CAA tourney title. Although, that might be tempered a bit since HU's attendance for home games is so poor, it may not justify quite that high of a salary; though again, I'm guessing that even with the bad attendance it's still more like double what you suggested, or at least a lot closer to that than the $350K.

Might sounds high to us, but D-I hoops is big business, so the numbers you're mentioning for other coaches are expected. Since they're either doing the recruiting or have input with it among their staff, and they head up that staff, as well as coach, and in some cases, act as the face of the program, it's no different than other types of big businesses in which CEOs or other top executives get paid what also might sound high to us.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

JAM is in the 600-675 range
garyg

Post by garyg »

Getting paid that much he better get us to big dance soon..Lol..
garyg

Post by garyg »

While I like JAM Hofstra should not have given him that type of contract [$600-$675] until he brought us to March Madness or very least an NIT Championship
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

You get what you pay for...
budman

Post by budman »

When JAM was hired he go $ 400,000.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Again, Hofstra should have waited until JAM's team reached March Madness before giving him an extension/raise
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Agree.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

budman wrote:When JAM was hired he go $ 400,000.
Nope, he got around $600 k
garyg

Post by garyg »

What was he making at Niagara?? About 3 ??
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

It's all relative....the guy who pretends to check my ticket on the LIRR makes around 150k
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

garyg wrote:Again, Hofstra should have waited until JAM's team reached March Madness before giving him an extension/raise
Totally agree. I would guess at best we are a 500 team this upcoming season. I would love to be proved wrong.
Cards

Post by Cards »

bobe13 wrote:
garyg wrote:Again, Hofstra should have waited until JAM's team reached March Madness before giving him an extension/raise
Totally agree. I would guess at best we are a 500 team this upcoming season. I would love to be proved wrong.
You must be trying to yank everyone's chain Bobe13. .500 ??? I think not!
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Cards remember we lost three starters and a 6th man who got injured late in the season but helped us get several wins.
Cards

Post by Cards »

bobe13 wrote:Cards remember we lost three starters and a 6th man who got injured late in the season but helped us get several wins.
I'm well aware. That being said, I think we will get solid production from Powers ( a former league MVP) and Robinson with anything from Sabety being gravy. I think Greer will be at least as good as Koon. I also think EP will be a solid contributor as a freshman - I think he will give us both points and spark.

DB and JWF should be better than last year, and RG should repeat.

Yes we are losing seniors, but they are not being replaced by all freshman - Powers SR, Robinson JR, Greer JR, Sabety JR (although coming form D3 the jury is still out). And there is still the possibility (although I'm not holding my breath at this point) that we pick up another eligible player for next year.

I, along with JM (I think) will be very disappointed with a .500 season. We should do better!
garyg

Post by garyg »

We should be ok next year and hopefully we can surprise people and over achieve...last couple of seasons we were expected to be strong contenders for CAA crown and it did not happen...expectations relatively speaking are not as high...let's see if JAM can get team to over achieve and earn that extension/raise that he received