MBB recruits 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by ProudofPride »

Ford is taking an official visit to Wisconsin today.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Aaaaaand Wisconsin offers during Ford's visit with Trice - game over IMO - Big Ten, major FF level program, chance to continue playing with your good friend from IMG - I'd do it - bye bye Aleem, best of luck young man - certainly won't knock ya, it's a great big time opp

I swear, HU can evaluate players like it's going out of style - damn near every player they target lands bigger offers after - this was a tough one to take, esp so late in the game - I think he was an HU lean, but he played it well and landed a top P5 deal - even though I think this is just a courtesy deal so they can land Trice - but hey, it's legit, good for him - these friggin schools really make life BRUTAL for mids

Ok HU staff, you best be WORKING IT right now (and I know you are) - time for an all-out attack, shock and awe style on the trail - MUST land another stretch 4 of quality - let's gooooo fellas!!

GET ANOTHER ON CAMPUS ASAP - I'm pulling for another JUCO or impact grad transfer so you can target a big time 4 yr guy in the next class - don't want to see a spot gobbled up by a bench guy for 4 yrs - WHO'S THE NEXT TOP TARGET????
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Again, if I'm a 3-star wing who isnt a superstar I'm going to a school that's deep at all other positions except for mine. Guarantees playing time and I play with guys who know how to win games and play intelligent basketball. HU fits that bill. Not sure if a HS kid sees it the same way but to me it's a no-brainer.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Thats the problem. They are High school kids. Some dont see the big picture. They see a big school and get all mushy over it. After two seasons when they are riding the pine they wake up and look to go to a better fit. Just like any college kid who winds up changing their major. A perfect example was in football quite a few years back. there was a running back from Roosevelt high school named Jerone Pettus. He just broke Amos Zeroues record for yards and TDs for Nassau county. Amos went to west Virginia then played 5 years for the Steelers. Jerone had people around him you said he was that much better. Jerone was only 5ft9 and 175 out of high school. We was recruited and went to Wisconson . He sat of the bench for 4 years He sat behind two backs who were 230 and 225 pounds. He was only used to run back an occasional kickoff and in garbage time.He could have come to Hofstra (its when we had football) and star for 4 years.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Aaron Augustin, the PG from Miller Grove, committed to SFA yesterday - I don't think he was necessarily high on HU's radar, but HE stated he wanted to visit HU - I would've def brought him on campus to talk about a RS yr - he lead his hs to the national finals just like DB did - he's small, yes, but a leader and a player - and he wanted to visit - I would've been all over that, esp because I think HU needs a PG or a CG in this class to sit a yr and prepare to backup and fill in for DB

Alas, I prob was the only one thinking that way :D

Priority is still out on the wing 4 spot - I would REALLY like to know what's happening with Saintel, Gregory, and Mohammed - grad transfer a big plus too

Knowing what we've seen from this staff, I would bet they are working diligently behind the scenes and prob have a name or two we're not even thinking of... they've been quite good at that - Koon really came out of nowhere to me last year, and he was a great get

suspense is terrible LOL
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:Aaaaaand Wisconsin offers during Ford's visit with Trice - game over IMO - Big Ten, major FF level program, chance to continue playing with your good friend from IMG - I'd do it - bye bye Aleem, best of luck young man - certainly won't knock ya, it's a great big time opp

I swear, HU can evaluate players like it's going out of style - damn near every player they target lands bigger offers after - this was a tough one to take, esp so late in the game - I think he was an HU lean, but he played it well and landed a top P5 deal - even though I think this is just a courtesy deal so they can land Trice - but hey, it's legit, good for him - these friggin schools really make life BRUTAL for mids

Ok HU staff, you best be WORKING IT right now (and I know you are) - time for an all-out attack, shock and awe style on the trail - MUST land another stretch 4 of quality - let's gooooo fellas!!

GET ANOTHER ON CAMPUS ASAP - I'm pulling for another JUCO or impact grad transfer so you can target a big time 4 yr guy in the next class - don't want to see a spot gobbled up by a bench guy for 4 yrs - WHO'S THE NEXT TOP TARGET????
These are the kinds of guys we'll see on the transfer list in a few years due to lack of playing time or whatever... time will tell
garyg

Post by garyg »

Sure staff is working on a lot of different things right now but of names we know about Saintel might provide the most immediate impact...have heard no updates on his recruitment
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Players have to think about who's been building a relationship with them the over the past few years and who's been using time, money, and resources to recruit them over the past few years. I personally think they should want to commit to a staff and school that's been working with them and building a relationship over the longer term to make them a priority, rather than the one that all of the sudden swoops in when it's late in the recruiting process because they want to fill a roster.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree 100% Gary, I was very excited when HU offered Saintel - he's a talented guy who can make an impact, and he's from NJ so would make sense for him to come back up north

Not necessarily a superstar, buthHe's been a starter and a reserve, has played well and is comfortable in both roles - he's physical, strong, can run the floor, great in transition, forceful by the basket, can hit the 3, rebound's well, plays D/alters shots, is a pretty decent FT shooter, and has great size to matchup against true PF's but is athletic enough to handle more agile SF's

I think he would be a fantastic get for HU, and a perfect compliment to Greer - they would be able to trade-off and play the same spot very well together, as both are SF's but Greer is more of a true stretch 4 and Saintel has a bit more of a PF feel

He has played well against good competition in JUCO - would take him in a heartbeat and call the 4 spot done for this class - he can def help this team win.

Offers from what I can tell: Colorado St, Duquesne, Western Kentucky, URI - not too shabby, and yet I think HU can battle with them all
garyg

Post by garyg »

For whatever reason heard Hofstra is not recruiting Saintel anymore and chose Greer over Saintel....that is all I know...also Greer's leg is apparently back to where it was before shooting incident
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

garyg wrote:For whatever reason heard Hofstra is not recruiting Saintel anymore and chose Greer over Saintel....that is all I know...also Greer's leg is apparently back to where it was before shooting incident
Maybe they are trying to stay away from another JUCO to avoid having two many juniors? Right now we have 5 junior's on the team next year and only 3 total underclassmen. They could have there sights set on another couple of four year players with maybe one graduate student mixed in.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Im hearing juniors who are transfers for at least one, possibly two spots. Sit out next year then play two. Helps balance out the classes.
garyg

Post by garyg »

If they add two transfers that sit out next year I think they have to use last scholarship on player that can be active next season...otherwise we begin next season with only 10 active players and with two injuries or other circumstances we could be down to only eight
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Agree we need at least one more eligible player
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Looks like we got a commitment from Tommy Ros, SF out of St. Andrew's Prep. I can't find much on him, and verbal commits doesn't show any offers for him, so he might be a walk on.

https://twitter.com/T_Ros1/status/723912560475553792
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/tommy-ros
Cards

Post by Cards »

Video of Ros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-9uDJxfP1U

Not real quick, certainly not a leaper, but he gets the job done. Has decent moves, can handle the ball fairly well, can shoot fairly well (including threes. If he is a walk-on, I am fine with that. he certainly could develop into a nice role player.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

6-8 and plays well below the rim...not sure about this one
budman

Post by budman »

Looks like he has very good basketball IQ. If you look at VC video you will see he can hit from beyond the three point line.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I confirmed Ros is a walk on
garyg

Post by garyg »

Ros is a 20-20 guy...he will not see floor unless we are up by 20 or down by 20