WRHU Sports

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
WRHU Sports

Re: WRHU Sports

Post by WRHU Sports »

Hello again Dutchmen Fans!!

We very much appreciate the kind words from all of you. We love the feedback and support. To address a few of the open-ended questions, I'll do my best to provide information.

@Flying Dutchmen --> There is not a specific place to grab archived "Locker Room" segments unfortunately. We have discussed certain ways to put them online but no outlet seemed like the most fitting for 1-hour long segments to be regularly uploaded. That being said, we have the "Bullpen" on Friday nights from 6:00-6:30 as well as "The Baseline" which covers CAA and NCAA hoops on Wednesday nights from 8:00-9:00. So while our "Locker room" segments are not made readily available, we try our best to make information, analysis, and insight available for multiple shows.

@Jojogunne and @Flying Dutchmen --> To respond to the press conference question. We try our best to carry the press conference but due to the fact we are a college station, we have to be careful of variables. We never know what will be said so we cannot carry it live. We record every post-game conference and send it back to studio but we run under the assumption that listeners would much rather hear 15 minutes of solid insight instead of 15 minutes of good content then 10 of stalling just to ensure we can get post-game in time. Given the heights of the current programs, there are many writers and broadcasters that all have to convene after games so the timing is not as smooth as it could be. Our way of sharing their thoughts are to use the key pieces of this sound on all 3 shows listed above and to talk with them weekly for reactions which we play on our "Coach's Show" 6pm-7pm on Tuesdays.

I hope this helps. We love your support, especially with our new app. Marc Silverman (our tech whizz and future boss to all of us) did a wonderful job and it means quite a lot to know it has improved all of your listening experiences.

As always, Roar with Pride, Dutchmen Fans!! Feel more than free to ask more questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them!
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Thanks for taking the time to explain all this and for the updates. One request that I know we would all appreciate here is before Locker Room shows let us know if there are any guests planned and roughly what hour they will appear. I know sometimes that may not be finalized until last minute but if you could send a post out sometime on Sunday that would be awesome.
Polito

Post by Polito »

You guys do a great job, and after listening to some of the other outlets when you guys aren't available, wow, the difference is clear - such bush league out there, very proud that WRHU is at the top of the game!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Echo what Polito has written. WRHU coverage is a very professional and so much better than other colleges.
WRHU Sports

Post by WRHU Sports »

Hey there Dutchmen Fans,

CAA Championship coverage tonight!! Should be a fantastic game for the 'Ship. We're in the process of finalizing some details for our Pregame at 6:30 up to TipOff at 7:00. Be sure to monitor our social media accounts @WRHUSports on twitter and instagram.

If anything is added to the broadcast I will also post here. We hope you enjoy the broadcast as much as we'll enjoy broadcasting it.

In-Studio Crew: Host: Matt Durant, Panelists: Joe Barone and Ryan LaFaye
On-Site: Play-by-Play: Mark Weiner, Color: Chris Buckley, and Sideline: Connor Giblin

We play to have extensive post-game coverage as well with plenty of coach and player sound. Pregame will include JM's post-game thoughts from yesterday as well as his pre-game thoughts for today's game. I'll be in studio with my panelists bringing you as much as possible, if there are any suggestions I'd love to hear them and can add them to the docket for the night if possible! Tune in and Enjoy!!

#RoarWithPride !!
WRHU Sports

Post by WRHU Sports »

JUST CONFIRMED

Pregame has been given an extension. Pregame will now run for 1 HOUR. 6:00 - 7:00, we'll break down as much as possible. Tune in for our special Pre-Game Edition of the Locker Room for 1 full hour covering everything leading up to Tip-Off!!

#RoarWithPride
Captain

Post by Captain »

If you have more air time tonight, maybe reach out to a team member of the HU 2006 Championship finalist like Loren Stokes for some inspiration and encouragement. Time to avenge that 2006 loss to UNCW too!
Polito

Post by Polito »

great job and coverage guys - you all clearly love this program, and I love that it 'shows' on air - keep it up for the NIT!
WRHU Sports

Post by WRHU Sports »

Hey All!!

Got a couple of notes for you regarding our broadcasts of the NIT and WNIT.

Because of the NIT, "The Baseline" will be airing on the HAWC, online and on the HAWC tab of the app. They have a 2 hour bracket breakdown planned but it had to be pushed to accommodate the NIT broadcast.

NIT --> Coverage will begin with Pregame at 7:30. This will be on 88.7 WRHU as well as the App. The crew will be below for anyone interested in who you'll be hearing from.
PxP: Chris Buckley
Color: Mark Weiner
Sideline: Connor Giblin
Host: Matt Durant
Panel: Joe Barone
Panel: Kyle Kandetzki
Updates: Stephanie Ruscio

The WNIT --> Pregame will begin at 6:30 on the HAWC (Hofstra Alternative Web Channel) due to an Islanders game. This will also be on Pride Productions so anyone that wants to watch the Pride Productions video stream will hear our WRHU broadcast paired with it. As of now it is Tiffany Vellis and Matt Durant on Play by Play and Color but a full crew will be announced soon. I assume the most important thing is to know when the broadcast is first and foremost.

MLAX NOTES:

MLAX @ Stony Brook tonight will be on the HAWC with Ryan Lafaye and Gio Anatelli. Pregame will be on at 6:45.

MLAX @ Providence Saturday 1pm - Tentatively will be on the HAWC with Anthony Santaniello and Matt Durant. Pregame at 12:45

BE SURE TO BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR FURTHER NIT AND WNIT NOTES. IF (WHEN) THEY WIN I WILL UPDATE BROADCAST DETAILS.

ROAR WITH PRIDE!!!!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To WRHU Sports, Thanks so much for the weekly updates. All of the broadcasts are very professional.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Want to be sure to say THANK YOU to the WRHU staff for another tremendous season of fantastic coverage - you guys are the best, there's no question about it. Other schools have a prayer of being as professional and high quality as you folks - look forward to the spring sports, and to the next hoops season!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Just to shout out to the staff at WRHU. You are one of the best things going on at Hofstra. If it was up to me I would increase your buget ten fold so you can get real creative with your broadcasts.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Congrats to WRHU for winning 4 Gracie awards! More national awards for the already prestigious number 1 college radio station in the country!

http://news.hofstra.edu/2016/03/28/wrhu ... ie-awards/
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Echoing the sentiment of my compadres above, AWESOME job with hoops this season WRHU!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To all involved with the broadcasts on WRHU and the HAWC, congratulations and well deserved. If anyone on the boards wants to understand how consistently good WRHU is, just listen to the opponent's radio on the internet.
WRHU Sports

Post by WRHU Sports »

Thank you all for all of your support and kind words. I do have to officially apologize for the lack of Updates since the Basketball season's ended.

Because of our relationship with the Islanders, things have been hectic lately. The reason I have not been posting broadcast updates is because of the uncertain nature of Stanley Cup Playoffs. When another game is won, there is a higher chance for more broadcasts which calls for full Crews in our studios. When this happens, a lot of things get shuffled around on our Baseball, Softball, MLAX, and WLAX broadcasts. I mainly didn't want to tell you all something was happening if it would soon be moved from airwaves to online or if the Crew was going to be revamped all together.

Moving forward I ask that you all check out our Twitter page for active updates at https://twitter.com/WRHUSports! We have still been updating twitter and Instagram regularly to ensure a stable and reliable social media presence. if you follow us on Twitter, you're sure to not miss a single change or update. On our Instagram, you can also get updates prior to broadcasts as well as pictures of some of our reporters speaking with players, coaches, or even reporting at Islanders games.

We sure do appreciate everyone enjoying our broadcasts. We put in quite a lot of effort and the hope is that you can all be proud of the media that covers your (and out) beloved Pride teams. If any of you have questions or suggestions, I'll be sure to check this threat more frequently and will try to answer or help in any way I can!!

-Thank you from all of WRHU Sports!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

How cool that WHRU was featured in the NY Times today! Not sure any other college radio stations can say that. Congrats and thanks to the whole crew for making us proud.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/sport ... IFTTT&_r=0
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ok gentlemen, listening to the schedule broadcast...

First, you guys always really do a fantastic job, so thank you for your hard work!

Second, and I've said this before, and it needs to be repeated: I would really like to hear more meaty questions that matter. There are tactful ways to do so and maintain strong relationships - it's all about people skills - the answer is not oh we don't ask tough questions because we want to protect things, the answer is you learn how to phrase them properly.

Here's the example: when you ask coach JM about playing some D3 school that no one has ever heard of or can even pronounce their name, no one gives a flying rip what their 'mindset' is going into that game - it's a sh!t game, period.

The question is, hey coach, the obvious note here is the question of a D1 playing a D3, and we know how challenging scheduling can be, so how does a game like this come into play?

I.E. --->>> WHY THE HELL IS HU PLAYING THIS RIDICULOUS GAME??? THAT'S the info we all want to know. You can ask mindset questions about KENTUCKY, not some D3 for goodness sake.

C'mon guys, please, I love your stuff, but you've GOT to learn how to approach tougher subjects, rather than just ignoring them. JM is a big boy, I'm sure he can handle it, especially when done properly.

Thank you in advance for reading this!!! 8-)
Polito

Post by Polito »

And to follow this up, I found out that this D3 game is basically part of the Gulf Coast tourney, some kind of requirement for all of the teams in it to play a D3

But see, THAT is exactly the kind of info that we're looking to get during the schedule reveal - although I'm quite passionate about, lol, my point is to note some simple improvements I think can be made going forward

I would also have loved to find out how HU came to be in the FL tourney - how about some fun facts about the UK setup? Who had the relationship there? JM said a thank you to Hathaway, but that doesn't tell us much about how/when this came about. How about insight to HU's relationship with the new SBU staff? I mean there are a lot of great questions around many of these games other than the same mindset question and/or how to game plan against an opponent 3/4 months away or one that isn't even confirmed yet (ie in the tourney)

Just some suggestions, hope it is coming across the right way - trust me when I tell you all of your efforts are greatly appreciated, and there is NO question you run the best college radio station in this entire conf, and the best that I've personally heard in general

Kudos, keep up the great work, and I'm looking forward to your season coverage!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

WRHU gets to be the radio home of yet another professional sports team, with the newest addition being the NBA D-League's Lon Island Nets. Awesome!

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketbal ... 1.12642164