Joe Mihalich Visits a Fan at a Hospice Center

Everything else
PrideFan22

Joe Mihalich Visits a Fan at a Hospice Center

Post by PrideFan22 »

Hello everyone, I don't post on the boards too often, but I'm sure you know of me pretty well. My name is Jordan Walters, and I'm the kid that sits in Section 111, front row, and screams the whole game (especially during free throws and often at the refs). If you don't know me than I'm sure you know my dad, Douglas Walters. He is a Hofstra alum and has been a fan and an avid supporter of Hofstra Men's Basketball and Hofstra athletics for about 15 years. He's rarely missed a game since he started following the program and can probably count on two hands the amount of games he's missed. Shortly after he started following the program, our whole family joined along and made it a family event. Within the past 4 seasons, my brother and mother stopped following for a variety of reasons, but I kept going with him to all of the home games. It turned into a tradition and quality father/son bonding time. We never missed a game, traveled all over to many away games together, and even caught a few lacrosse and softball games. We never minded the 45 minute drive to Hofstra because a real special relationship began to develop that would not have developed if it wasn't for Hofstra Athletics and the Men's Basketball program in specific. I don't think I would be nearly as close to him, and our family would not be as strongly close as we are now. Don't get me wrong, we had many other things that we did together and bonded over that kept us close, but Hofstra Athletics was a passion that he created and were events and days that hold a special place in my heart.

Three months ago, unfortunately my dad was diagnosed with cancer. Many events occurred that led us to where we are now. As of about three weeks ago, he was placed in a hospice facility. My family members got in contact with Coach Mihalich, and explained the situation to him, because we knew that a visit from him would make my dad feel complete before he passes. Coach Mihalich responded immediately and was more than happy to agree to come and visit my dad. They had never formally met prior to this, but Coach Mihalich went out of his way to drive an hour to meet my dad and visit him at the hospice center. The smile on my dad’s face when he saw Coach walk in warmed my heart. He came with t-shirts, a hat, and a basketball signed by himself and the rest of the Men’s Basketball team. Coach was very friendly and sat with us and chatted. It truly was an honor for my dad, my family, and me to have Coach Mihalich come and visit him. I can’t put it into words how thankful I am that Coach Mihalich came, because it is a day I won’t forget for the rest of my life. Hofstra Athletics and the Men’s Basketball program have made a great impact on my life, my family, and my dad and I am very thankful for that. It truly was an honorable thing that Coach Mihalich did, and I thank him greatly. Gestures like these, big or small, can have a great impact on people’s lives, and this one definitely did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PrideFan22 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ProudofPride

Re: Joe Mihalich Visits a Fan at a Hospice Center

Post by ProudofPride »

Thank you for sharing this, it truly shows what a class act our men's basketball program and head coach is. I'm so sorry about your father, but I'm glad you were able to have such happy memories together, and that you were able to setup this special visit for him. I hope you still continue to come to basketball games since it's clearly something you enjoy doing.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

That is fantastic. I really appreciate you sharing this, and feel for your situation. It's fortunate that you were able to grow and develop a wonderful relationship with your father and share in something that you will carry with you for the rest of your life.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Clearly, I should visit this part of the board more often, because I (and I suspect many others who might have wanted to see this) had overlooked it.

But as already mentioned above, thank you very much for sharing this, Jordan.

It shows what a great guy Coach is to respond to your family's request this way. I'm very glad that Coach gave your Dad some joy with that visit. As much as you say it was a great moment that you'll never forget, I'm sure it was similarly a huge honor and privilege for Coach to meet a fellow great guy like your Dad. I am sorry for what you and your family are going through with your Dad, but always know that you and your Dad are permanent members of the Hofstra family.