Tom Yeager Retiring

Discussions about the rest of the college sports world
ProudofPride

Tom Yeager Retiring

Post by ProudofPride »

CAA commissioner Tom Yeager has officially announced his retirement following the 2015-16 season. He's the longest tenured D1 conference commissioner.
HofstraPride1

Re: Tom Yeager Retiring

Post by HofstraPride1 »

It will be good to get some fresh blood leading the league. Will be very curious if they promote from within or go outside.
Polito

CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager Retiring

Post by Polito »

Known news now, but figured could use it's own thread in this quiet time...

First, I'll offer the much-deserved respect as a guy considered tops in his field - tremendously long career, and for all intents and purposes, did a fantastic job for the CAA as it was with the old guard - if you were a VA school, you had to be in love with this guy

Now, I'll talk about this from HU's perspective

Aaaahhhh, CHANGE feels GOOOOOD!! I absolutely LOVE the complete 180 this conference has done since HU joined - the VA bias is completely dead, and this is the nail in the coffin for the once good-ol-boy network

VA powers are gone, tourney is out of Richmond, and the favoritism commish is out - the times, they are a changin'!!

I don't think he did a damn thing for HU athletics, or even with HU in mind - I think quite the opposite, and have seen HU treated as an afterthought - that time is over, and I am SO glad and excited for what's to come - if HU can continue to elevate it's basketball program to be a perennial top CAA team, things are going to be very different than the last 10 yrs.

HU should finally feel like it can breathe again now that the southern stronghold is completely gone. This is HU's time if they act on it - they MUST be proactive / aggressive, and take advantage of all this change - these next few yrs can be a HUGE positive shift for this program and athletic dept as a whole

ROLLPRIDE
HofstraPride1

Re: CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager Retiring

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I agree fresh blood will be positive for Hofstra's sake I hope it is someone from the north.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Actually the CAA has become more southern centric. Two teams from the carolinas replaced two teams from Virginia. I want to see more northern teams. Moving tournament to baltimore was step in the wright direction.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

If they go with an insider, Ron Bertovich who is currently the CAA's Assist Commissioner for basketball and was I believe the Atlantic 10 Commissioner would be a good choice. Way back when he was the SID at Iona when I was at Hofstra...Northern guy Stu!
cactus
Site Admin

Re: Tom Yeager Retiring

Post by cactus »

Mr southern bias himself
Polito

Post by Polito »

geographically yes Stu, but in terms of influence, there's is zero power or favoritism involved with those programs - they are more 'partners', not threats to HU - agree 100% though on having more northern presence...
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Actually the CAA has become more southern centric. Two teams from the carolinas replaced two teams from Virginia. I want to see more northern teams. Moving tournament to baltimore was step in the wright direction.
You also have to factor in that Georgia State left. The fraction of teams from north of Virginia went up from 5/12ths to 5/10ths.