College hockey is coming to LI

Discussions about the rest of the college sports world
HofstraHockey

College hockey is coming to LI

Post by HofstraHockey »

First, Army and Sacred Heart are playing at the Coliseum in January. Not exactly a top matchup, and tickets are currently 20 bucks a pop for the cheap seats. We used to see Islanders games there for less, but I digress.

More importantly, a local school is adding NCAA hockey to it's roster, according to this:
https://www.higheredjobs.com/region/det ... ckey+Coach

If you had "CW Post Women's" as your pick for who was going to be first on LI, run to the nearest bodega and buy some scratch offs, because it's your lucky day.
stuball888

Re: College hockey is coming to LI

Post by stuball888 »

I heard Bill Edwards applied for that job
Polito

Post by Polito »

Still believe HU should get into college hockey with a real program - would be great to see some D1 action locally, and I bet being first with no Islanders nearby, HU could gain a real fanbase pretty quickly from the fans who are starved for it.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

CW Post has started up their club women's team, and appointed their golf coach as the head coach (he has 25 years experience coaching hockey, including four future NHLers). So they've started making progress.

In other news, for anyone interested, the NHL a few years ago set aside funding for the development of NCAA hockey programs in areas where there aren't currently. As we all know, LI would be ripe for it, could they get one of the schools to commit. Here is the first feasibility study to come out of it. It is a VERY in-depth look at the expenses associated with running a DI program- an eye-opener for some who don't understand the costs associated with it. Take a look, if you have the time https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... 022718.pdf
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Interesting development out east, where a new arena may be in the works. https://www.longislandadvance.net/5324/ ... in-Medford
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

AJ does SBU have a hockey team (club hockey)? They were mentioned in the article
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

They have a club team, that is pretty well respected and well run. But it's a huge step up from club to DI in men's hockey. Farmingdale has also been talking for quite a while about getting an NCAA team going, but the barriers to entry to play D3 are way lower, especially since SUNY has its own conference.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Update: Looks like they're building a 17,500 seat arena in Ronkonkoma. I would imagine that puts a huge hit in the idea to build a smaller one so close. I also don't have a CLUE why they are going to build an arena that big out there- that place will be a ghost town most nights. Don't know how that changes anything for hockey out there, or basketball, or anything.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HofstraHockey wrote: They have a club team, that is pretty well respected and well run. But it's a huge step up from club to DI in men's hockey. Farmingdale has also been talking for quite a while about getting an NCAA team going, but the barriers to entry to play D3 are way lower, especially since SUNY has its own conference.
It wouldn't make sense for a D3 team to play in an arena that holds 17,500.
HofstraHockey wrote: Update: Looks like they're building a 17,500 seat arena in Ronkonkoma. I would imagine that puts a huge hit in the idea to build a smaller one so close. I also don't have a CLUE why they are going to build an arena that big out there- that place will be a ghost town most nights. Don't know how that changes anything for hockey out there, or basketball, or anything.
In terms of arenas without teams, when the Islanders' fate was undecided, Kansas City had a vacant arena that wanted the Islanders to move.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

No, there's no way a D3 team would play there. Buy if Stony Brook were to have a team, it would have to be D1.

It works in KC because it is THE arena. I know the population of KC is tiny compared to NY, and even compared to Suffolk County. But this will be the what, fifth option for a performer coming to NY? Behind MSG and Barclays, obviously, and likely behind Belmont, maybe (big maybe) on par with Prudential. I'm not sure how much arena football and Sesame Street Live you can have to make it work.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

https://www.higheredjobs.com/search/det ... ey%20Coach

Looks like LIU is making a push on women's hockey. The Brooklyn campus this time.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I know that Cornell has a huge alumni base in NYC, and it's not a basketball school, but I can't imagine a Cornell-Harvard basketball game ever getting 15k in MSG. It kills me, because there IS a market for this here. Place was packed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Not a massive crowd, but way more than were at the men's basketball game last night for Colgate-Quinnipiac at the Coliseum tonight. Considering neither is a local team, or a particularly big draw nationally, it shows the potential.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.