MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraMathew

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by HofstraMathew »

Its all about the quality of the recruits and not the timing of when they sign. For example last year we signed both Radovic and Schutte late (and in the case of Schutte real late) in the game. If the staff focused on just signing guys early we might have missed both of them and from early signs they could be big contributors going forward.

We have 4 scholarships and it seems like Joe likes to leave at least one open for a late transfer; so we are only going after 3 players. It was already mentioned in this thread that we are looking to sign around 2 JUCO's who don't sign early.

We also signed 6 players last year and only 1 was in the early period; and on paper it looks like a solid recruiting class.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Polito

Post by Polito »

TOP target.

Roll out the red carpet, and show him he's priority #1.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HofstraMathew wrote:We have 4 scholarships and it seems like Joe likes to leave at least one open for a late transfer; so we are only going after 3 players. It was already mentioned in this thread that we are looking to sign around 2 JUCO's who don't sign early.
Need an experienced PF/C and PG without doubt. Need another big too, Kupsas looks like a nice fit there.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Yeh, all we need to do is sign him :D
Cards

Post by Cards »

We offered this guy several weeks ago. This is the kind of guy I'd love to have for 4 years at HU. 6'10" with coordination and athleticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXbLEjoVKZ4
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cards wrote:We offered this guy several weeks ago. This is the kind of guy I'd love to have for 4 years at HU. 6'10" with coordination and athleticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXbLEjoVKZ4
GET THIS KID.....He's what we need...athletic and MOBILE BIGS!
Polito

Post by Polito »

There is a ton of value in these athletic big types that can handle the rock and step out and hit shots, and he looks like he may have some ability to do all of that - need to see a lot more though to confirm.

I am for guys like this, as the game is certainly favoring that more, although I am also not for totally selling out on having only that type.

#1 I need to see this kid against real / game competition.

#2 He's very light for 6'10, and will get body checked into the stands playing in the post by guys on CofC's roster (and any other P5 or good conf team). There is still a very important role for true bigs to play IMO, and HU should always have at least 1 on roster to compete with the heavies.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If his frame is big enough he can put on the weight and strength needed to play in the post. We were concerned about Buie and he has added that needed poundage.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

One thing that we don't talk about but that this program does a great job with is strength training. Look at our kids from year to year; they get bigger and stronger...Pemberton and Foeman are outstanding examples how they have gotten bigger and stronger.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I think it's safe to say HU can promote immediate PT for Kupsas.

And literally anyone else with a pulse that plays real defense.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Does anyone have any inside info. on any recruits including this kid Kupsas? It seems things are very quiet on HU prospects!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Pretty sure Kupsas is visiting this weekend...today maybe?

Know the staff has been recruiting some Juco as well recently, but no specifics yet.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Would REALLY love to know things stand after Kupsas visit...
garyg

Post by garyg »

Polito wrote:Would REALLY love to know things stand after Kupsas visit...
HUSID or Captain...any word on this??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Really need a decent post player for next year. Still plenty of time but no one on roster approached Rok or Hunter
Captain

Post by Captain »

garyg wrote:
Polito wrote:Would REALLY love to know things stand after Kupsas visit...
HUSID or Captain...any word on this??
Kupsas seems to be of primary interest. I heard that Coach M. was to attend the LuHi Chaminade game today.
On 24/7 Kupsas has 9 teams offering but seven have interest level as cool. The only 2 "warm" are Hofstra and Weber State.
On Verbal Commits there are more teams so don't know which site is more reliable. I wonder how involved Rok is in the recruitment of a countryman.
Hopefully the redshirt Schutte is making real strides this season. We don't need a redo of Andre Walker.
I think the CAA is going to have some teams that surprise...maybe Drexel for one.
Polito

Post by Polito »

That was a big game, 1 vs 2, and LuHi came out with the W. Kupsas had 11. That team is loaded. He is a MUST GET.

Offer list is very strong. Can be a big time impact player here - all about relationships, so hopefully the staff and Rok are on him like white on rice.

Program needs to add 2 bigs, one frosh and one juco, plus a 3/4 and a 1 (<-for real this time) - I'm not banking on Schutte at all, don't see the level of impact and all-conf play coming from there. Hopefully a solid bench/role contributor.

Funny you mention that Walker comparison Captain...that's what I'm afraid we'll see here.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Polito wrote:Program needs to add 2 bigs, one frosh and one juco, plus a 3/4 and a 1 (<-for real this time)
I don't necessarily disagree with you on this but I doubt this is the coaching staff's plan. They seem to like to leave one scholarship open for a late transfer. I don't think we will get both a 3/4 and a 1 unless one of them is a late transfer and uses the scholarship the staff held open.

Edit: For grammar.
Last edited by HofstraMathew on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The staff has said they are going after a juco big guy and probably one freshman.