MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by triplec2195 »

ProudofPride wrote:Donatas Kupsas is announcing his decision tomorrow, it’s between us, Fordham, and Weber St. https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamZagoria/ ... 7884851205
I'll keep my fingers crossed we need to get some big bodies in to replace RG and HS.
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:
ProudofPride wrote:Donatas Kupsas is announcing his decision tomorrow, it’s between us, Fordham, and Weber St. https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamZagoria/ ... 7884851205
I'll keep my fingers crossed we need to get some big bodies in to replace RG and HS.
Kupsas would be a good get - keep in mind however, he is not a guy to play the 5 (not a replacement for RG & HS). He is more like a young Denton Koons (maybe a better shooter from what I hear). Expect him to put on some pounds as he gets into college. It would actually be very interesting if he comes to HU, and ST and MR develop like we hope. Potentially we could end up with 3 capable guys for the 4 spot.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards keep in mind that the so called 5 may be becoming extinct. This game of basketball is evolving and it's becoming more about players who can shoot it all over the court. The days of Chamberlain, Russell etc are on their way out. It's now about power forwards who of course can take it strong to the basket but they also have a mid range and perimeter game. For me personally I'm happy with this because I think the 5 position is a boring one dimensional position at least on the offensive side of the ball. I couldn't believe that kid who plays for Villanova who was killing us all over the court. That's the new 5 or 4.5 if u will!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Agree and disagree Triplec. Spellman (from Villanova) is 6'10" 250 lbs. He is a super gifted 5 star player who can play the 5 or the "4.5". Kupsas and the guys we have are 6'7" - 6'8" and in the 200 - 210 lbs range. Spellman is a double double machine. The guys we have are complimentary rebounders and not primary rebounders.

I do agree with you that the game is changing. For old guys like me, I have seen the introduction of the 3 pt shot totally change the game. But regarding HU, it will be a while (if ever) that we are able to recruit guys that have 50% of the skills, talent, and size combination that Spellman has. That's why, at least for the immediate future, HU still needs a traditional 5. Certainly, at times, we could play two of the 4 type guys and be successful - and I'm not opposed to that --- just not for most of the game.

In the mean time, HU (players and coaches) have much work to do this year to prove themselves. So lets take care of Elon. GO Pride!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Would be a real nice GET for Hofstra...he was recruited by a lot of mid majors...hopefully he is a legit 6-9
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:Agree and disagree Triplec. Spellman (from Villanova) is 6'10" 250 lbs. He is a super gifted 5 star player who can play the 5 or the "4.5". Kupsas and the guys we have are 6'7" - 6'8" and in the 200 - 210 lbs range. Spellman is a double double machine. The guys we have are complimentary rebounders and not primary rebounders.

I do agree with you that the game is changing. For old guys like me, I have seen the introduction of the 3 pt shot totally change the game. But regarding HU, it will be a while (if ever) that we are able to recruit guys that have 50% of the skills, talent, and size combination that Spellman has. That's why, at least for the immediate future, HU still needs a traditional 5. Certainly, at times, we could play two of the 4 type guys and be successful - and I'm not opposed to that --- just not for most of the game.

In the mean time, HU (players and coaches) have much work to do this year to prove themselves. So lets take care of Elon. GO Pride!
OK fair enough Cards. I'll buy into that kind of reasoning. Yes lets beat Elon this is a big game!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

From Adam Zagoria's article on Kupšas today:

A few coaches from Hofstra, who were in attendance to see him in action, made sure they squeezed in a few words to their potential future 4-man after the game.
“They’re just waiting on me to commit at this point,” Kupsas said. “They really love my aggression and ability to bring the ball up the court from time to time.”

interesting that there are no comments on Fordham or Weber State.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/01/07/recr ... ecruiting/
Polito

Post by Polito »

Holy moly, FINALLY a breathe of fresh positive air!!! Have said multiple times, this young man is a MUST GET. Future stud at the 4 spot.

Not a 5 in any sense, so a center is still key to this class as is a real PG. I know not everyone will agree with me here, but I have ZERO interest in JWF filling that role. Don't need our #1 scorer concerned with ball distribution for assists. Want him free flowing all game every game. That's why I've said for 2 years this program needs a REAL point.

Maybe Ray is more that guy, but either way, from my perspective this staff OWES the program a PG after completely whiffing on it last time.

Really like some of the Juco's HU seems to be going after, some real talent that could make an immediate impact.

Getting Kupsas on board could be huge to help get that ball rolling - let's go DK, make that move and suit up for HU!!

Also of note, I was very big on 3 kids at the Upper Room program last year, Osbel obviously but also another stud '19 6'5 SG Lester Quinones. HU recently offered, but would've preferred they offered last yr when I noted him (not that they didn't notice him, just noting the timing that would've been nice to see IMO - gotta show these kids they are PRIORITY #1 - HU has no leverage to be slow playing anyone with that kind of talent). He has transferred to another more well-known mid-atlantic power, St Benedicts down in MD. Kid is blowing up with some solid offers and interest rolling in (Illinois, WKU, UMass, Minnesota, etc).

Might be too late at this point, but hopefully HU has a shot. I think it is very reasonable to expect this program to sign a stud player from an UR program lead by an HU basketball guy - this one could be a game-changer. But if not him, there are others - would be great to build a strong pipeline there, and seems like a perfect match considering the HU connection.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:Holy moly, FINALLY a breathe of fresh positive air!!! Have said multiple times, this young man is a MUST GET. Future stud at the 4 spot.

Not a 5 in any sense, so a center is still key to this class as is a real PG. I know not everyone will agree with me here, but I have ZERO interest in JWF filling that role. Don't need our #1 scorer concerned with ball distribution for assists. Want him free flowing all game every game. That's why I've said for 2 years this program needs a REAL point.

Maybe Ray is more that guy, but either way, from my perspective this staff OWES the program a PG after completely whiffing on it last time.

Really like some of the Juco's HU seems to be going after, some real talent that could make an immediate impact.

Getting Kupsas on board could be huge to help get that ball rolling - let's go DK, make that move and suit up for HU!!

Also of note, I was very big on 3 kids at the Upper Room program last year, Osbel obviously but also another stud '19 6'5 SG Lester Quinones. HU recently offered, but would've preferred they offered last yr when I noted him (not that they didn't notice him, just noting the timing that would've been nice to see IMO - gotta show these kids they are PRIORITY #1 - HU has no leverage to be slow playing anyone with that kind of talent). He has transferred to another more well-known mid-atlantic power, St Benedicts down in MD. Kid is blowing up with some solid offers and interest rolling in (Illinois, WKU, UMass, Minnesota, etc).

Might be too late at this point, but hopefully HU has a shot. I think it is very reasonable to expect this program to sign a stud player from an UR program lead by an HU basketball guy - this one could be a game-changer. But if not him, there are others - would be great to build a strong pipeline there, and seems like a perfect match considering the HU connection.
any word onDK?
whatever happened to Osbel Caraballo?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Hopefully we hear something by 3 pm
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:Hopefully we hear something by 3 pm
What happens at 3pm? Does he turn into a pumpkin???
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUSID74 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:Hopefully we hear something by 3 pm
What happens at 3pm? Does he turn into a pumpkin???
Final bell?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

No he turns into Donald Trump. Hey they are both Orange
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

LuHi Basketball

@LuHiBasketball
1m1 minute ago
More
'18 6'8 F Donatas Kupsas (@Kupsas13) will be announcing his college commitment on Twitter at 9PM. Fordham, Hofstra, Weber State in the mix.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Wow he's making it a big deal...anyone have any inside info? Was Rokas involved? Which of our coaches recruited him?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We have had other players from LU HI. One of my favorites was Tim Beckett
Polito

Post by Polito »

LOVE IT - a lot of attention on this one, and could be a great night for this program.

This is how recruits do it nowadays, across all sports - matter of fact, a lot make it an even bigger spectacle. But this would be a super get for Hofstra IMO, both in recruiting results and positive free marketing for the program. Been recruiting him as a top priority for a long time, MUST CLOSE.

Fordham and Weber St aren't exactly Duke, but they are known programs from good conferences, and he also had legit offers from Ole Miss, Richmond, Vermont, Iona, and others. Top 10 player in NY, a versatile Koon-type stud with major potential. Top program, and extremely well-coached - sound all-around player. Can be a difference maker at HU if he continues to develop his game. And an announcement for the Dutch here would be great positive press from a lot of recruiting/hoops/media outlets, esp social media.

HOFSTRA IS HOME DK! Let's make it happen tonight and keep that HU Lithuanian pipeline rocking!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Fingers and eyes are crossed till his announcement
Polito

Post by Polito »

Rok definitely part of the wooing process in some fashion.

Also, for Osbel, I believe I heard something about academics, but I don't know for sure so don't want to tarnish the young man for anything unconfirmed. But something was obviously up, very talented player, and hasn't ended up anywhere yet. All has been quiet, I'm guessing a prep year somewhere, but no clue.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

stuball888 wrote:We have had other players from LU HI. One of my favorites was Tim Beckett
Gary Cheslock before him, as well as the aforementioned Steve Brawley.