MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by ProudofPride »

Speedy is down in Charlotte recruiting. Any ideas of who we're going after down there?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We're in the final 3 for 7 foot center Ousmane Ndim, along with LIU Brooklyn and Oklahoma. https://twitter.com/aspireacademyky/sta ... 4623674368
Cards

Post by Cards »

ProudofPride wrote:We're in the final 3 for 7 foot center Ousmane Ndim, along with LIU Brooklyn and Oklahoma. https://twitter.com/aspireacademyky/sta ... 4623674368
Very cool because this kid has had some big schools go after him - Houston, Virginia, Memphis. Oklahoma, and lots of high level mids

https://tbscouts.com/2017/05/02/ousmane ... s-of-2018/

Would be a huge get for HU. Some of these 7 footers take a few years to figure out the coordination part of playing in 7 ft body. For high school, this guy looks to be ahead of the curve. Can't imagine him in a few years at 250 lbs!

This fits in perfectly with the post from the other thread about HU looking for a few JUCO players this year. An accomplished JUCO center for the near term, with a guy like this focused more on the long term (or sooner) is a good plan. Now, just go and land these guys! (easier said than done)
garyg

Post by garyg »

Dream on Dutch Nation...dream on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

I mean you can't teach 7 feet lol - he looks to have some decent skill with the ball in his hands, moves relatively well for a guy his size...I'm sure he will require some development - if he plays D and blocks shots in addition to what I'm seeing, that would be a super get

Something doesn't add up though - don't get me wrong, jacked to be in the final running, but that final 3 is ODD. I mean the Sooners are basically a perennial final four contender... plus LIUB and HU? Per 247 he was offered by some hoop heavies:

UVA
ASU
LSU
Houston
Memphis
TCU
USF
WKU
Utah St

Gotta be something to this. His tapes looks good, but not OU good. That is a 4 and 5 star player program, he will most likely be a career backup there, and never play enough to land a big Euro gig. And I just can't see his size/talent in the NEC... CAA seems a good level for him and Lord knows HU will have the need and the PT.

But it does seem strange. At any rate, let's see if he's got a good head on his shoulders or if he's going to continue the trend of these kids going for the biggest offer they can, only to realize 1-2 years later it was a huge mistake and have to transfer after avg less than 6 min a game, 2.4 pts, and 1.7 rebounds :lol:

I mean this HAS to catch these kids attention at some point - it is so obvious and so COMMON it's nauseating - PAY ATTENTION young ballers.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Ndim to LIU Brooklyn...
Cards

Post by Cards »

ProudofPride wrote:Ndim to LIU Brooklyn...
You have got to be kidding! There has to be something going on that we are not aware of.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Academics?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We have a visitor today through Saturday. https://mobile.twitter.com/AlperenKurna ... 3497214977
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Good info. We need to get some big bodies to replace Gustys, Sabety and Angus.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

ProudofPride wrote:We have a visitor today through Saturday. https://mobile.twitter.com/AlperenKurna ... 3497214977
Met Alperon last night at Midnight Madness...he was their with his "host" family from Maryland. Nice kid, very articulate, seems very engaged in all the proceedings....was impressed with Arena...was looking forward to trying out our practice facility.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Looks to have some potential great upside - seems VERY versatile... basically a kieza-type at 6'8 220 with the skill set to play inside or out - has a sweet stroke from 3, rebounds, can play inside, passes very well/strong court vision, good hoops IQ, well enough handle/hands, and most importantly plays D

Believe he will need some development time, but certainly would be a matchup nightmare at his height stepping out beyond the arc...

Not much attention or high ranking yet, so either this is a legit diamond in the rough or the staff is reaching. I am inclined to think it's the former after some research... could be a nice steal.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:
ProudofPride wrote:We have a visitor today through Saturday. https://mobile.twitter.com/AlperenKurna ... 3497214977
Met Alperon last night at Midnight Madness...he was their with his "host" family from Maryland. Nice kid, very articulate, seems very engaged in all the proceedings....was impressed with Arena...was looking forward to trying out our practice facility.
I thought I saw him there yesterday (red tee shirt & jeans). Agree he looks to be a player with a sweet stroke (based on video).

I was talking last night with a friend who had a long conversation with Speedy over in the practice facility. Speedy told him two things that are both good news:
First, he said that Radovic will be the surprise of this team and the CAA. He said he is so impressed with this kid. Should have had major offers. Basically a HU steal!!
Second, he said that Sabety is playing great. He's been a beast at both ends of the floor.

I heard that HS was awesome at the StJohns scrimmage....very impressive!

Not happy to see DB totally inactive last night. All he did was walk around. Did not shoot around or anything, same with JA. I would not be concerned if they did not play in the scrimmage, but they looked to really be nursing something. Hopefully they are ready a week from today.
Polito

Post by Polito »

GREAT to hear more confirmation about Radovic - looking forward to seeing this young fella on the floor Friday

Bet we don't hear jack squat about the SJU scrimmage stats considering how poorly the Fairfield game went lol

HS has real ability, will say again this was a major win by the staff - they deserve some cred there - pulling for him to have a HUGE year, because honestly I'm not sure what we're going to get from Rok until I see what kind of PG play shows up - so far w/no Green as an absolute MASTER in opportunity creation, it's been underwhelming. Think HS will be another key this year when Rok / the team needs a boost.

Really hope DB and JA are ready to ROCK - totally good with them sitting out the madness event to be ready for gameday. Need those 2. Players have already said they think DB surprises this year - should be the starter to me IF he's healthy enough, but what do I know lol :? :lol:

Has anyone heard or seen anything re Wormley?? Awfully quiet for the guy this staff said would be the difference-maker... :roll: I am pulling for the kid though, just think that sentiment is totally nutty not to mention unfair to him. But hey, he'll have his shot, so they better be right.

The countdown is ON folks, season tip-off in 4 days!!! Praying this is a big time year!
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Sabety will bring a big and necessary presence to the floor this year. Looking forward to the game Friday.
Polito

Post by Polito »

And I hope by 'necessary presence' you mean a nasty mean streak, and being an immovable wall knocking puny guards back to the bench.

Sick of seeing guys who are 6'9 and 240lbs play soft - I don't wanna see another game where CofC bigs bully HU's, or peewee guards put them in a turnstile all game - these guys need to remember how big they are and start playing like it. And I don't particularly care if it's Rok or Hunter, but at least one of these guys needs to man up in the middle. Not interested in finesse, that's what the guards and 4 spot guys are for.

Time for the centers to get beastly and strap on a brass pair - no easy buckets, no easy lanes, no fly zone - PERIOD.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I was also hoping that Angus will be that guy blocking shots grabbing rebounds and getting put backs. An enforcer type guy and he clearly has the size at 6' 6" and 240 he's a big boy.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Early signing period begins tomorrow...not expecting anything
Polito

Post by Polito »

Pitiful that this is the way we've been trained to think around here.

I don't care what ANYONE says, staff or not, if they can't land at least 1 measly commit in the early period, it is a complete failure by this staff, and the very short leash they better be on this year should get even shorter. If they cannot produce, it is time to make changes, period. You don't get 42 years to get your ish together. 5 years, it's go or no go.

Here are the CAA schools who already have at least 1 commit:

*CofC
UD
Drexel (for petes sake guys, DREXEL)
*Elon
*JMU
*Towson
*W&M

For those keeping score, that leaves only NU left with HU who have yet to land a single commit. HU's staff is getting their a$$es handed to them in the field. This is completely unacceptable, and I expect this staff to be held to some level of accountability, some level of a standard of performance. The * have landed more than 1.

Now, tell me again why HU can't do the same?? HU is yet again WAY behind the 8-ball.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:Pitiful that this is the way we've been trained to think around here.

I don't care what ANYONE says, staff or not, if they can't land at least 1 measly commit in the early period, it is a complete failure by this staff, and the very short leash they better be on this year should get even shorter. If they cannot produce, it is time to make changes, period. You don't get 42 years to get your ish together. 5 years, it's go or no go.

Here are the CAA schools who already have at least 1 commit:

*CofC
UD
Drexel (for petes sake guys, DREXEL)
*Elon
*JMU
*Towson
*W&M

For those keeping score, that leaves only NU left with HU who have yet to land a single commit. HU's staff is getting their a$$es handed to them in the field. This is completely unacceptable, and I expect this staff to be held to some level of accountability, some level of a standard of performance. The * have landed more than 1.

Now, tell me again why HU can't do the same?? HU is yet again WAY behind the 8-ball.
Polito, signing someone in the early period means NOTHING...It's what you end up with that COUNTS...Note NU did not sign anyone yet...can you say that NU's staff sucks at recruiting????? Both HU and NU are typically....since Joe came on board, at or among the TOP in the League in signed talent...check out Verbal Commits...