MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:saw some tweets that 6'11" PF/C Maros Zeliznak verbally committed elsewhere.
That would be Jacksonville State per V/C. Probably not surprising anyone here!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Not the big needed IMO, need one with more immediate impact and at least some ability to offset the skillsets of Rok/Hunter

And I agree on ST, really like him at the 4, and the 3 in certain situations would be interesting too - I like ST, he was a very good late pickup IMO, very versatile and 'fits' the team.

He's got to polish up some things, but he's here for 4 so he should be a very formidable player with more time.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This kid just committed to Binghamton- 2/19/2018 - 2018 SF Justin Steers (6-6, 185, 2★) committed to Binghamton!
Polito

Post by Polito »

That is interesting... not a top one for HU IMO, but a good pickup for that awful program. Guess he doesn't care much about winning basketball games. :?
Cards

Post by Cards »

Getting worried about picking up a quality experienced big man.

Looking at the JUCO top 100 list. There are 12 guys at 6'9" or bigger. 9 of the 12 have already committed :( :( Maricevic (the guy we offered) is the highest ranking big man yet to be signed. And of course, there are lots of suitors for him. This is not a very good sign.

Anyone know of any quality transfers who will be immediately eligible next year?

This has to be a major get for HU. We can't just pick up some 6'8" who get 7-8 rebounds and 4 pts a game. NEED SOMEONE WHO REALLY CAN CONTRIBUTE.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I said this months ago that this recruiting year scares the bejesues out of m we have so much to replace quality wise and what we now have on the roster doesn’t bode well for us
Polito

Post by Polito »

Well, I have accepted the fact that this staff handles recruiting very differently, and I have accepted it because I feel they recruit very well for this program and this level - they hit way more often than they miss, and after 5 yrs, have to give them the benefit of the doubt they have earned.

I absolutely despise the last minute stuff, and even worse for me is their excuses as to why that is the case - yet every other CAA school wraps up their recruiting just fine in the NORMAL timeframe - and considering HU isn't running away with the conf, it seems like the others are landing fine talent as well, facing the exact same (or TOUGHER) challenges than HU.

But alas, I have been and still am a fan of their recruiting 'gets' - talent is far from the issue with this program. They are going after some impact players, let's see who they land.

And actually there is not that much to replace - they have one major mission: replace Rok/Hunter. Second is the PG of the future post-Buie. But 2 bigs are really the only major need for next season.

The 4 spot I am comfortable with ST, love his upside, and Radovic should eventually be serviceable (and would have been even better if this staff had done the right thing and Redshirted him this year)

Anyhoo, I am excited to see what JUCO and Xfer they land - remember these guys love to act like the CIA with this stuff, so there could be (hopefully!) some awesome news on the way - and IF this program can make the dance, I believe it would have a BIG impact - fingers crossed
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

My assumption is that Joe is banking on another 5th year Senior transfer who is available immediately to replace Rok/HS. When the season is over, that transfer list explodes with names and we'll probably be trying to add from that group. Joe has been pretty successful at plucking these 1 year guys and I'm sure we will land someone from it. There's only been 1 year where we didn't add a grad transfer but that year we actually received an additional year of eligibility for Dion Nesmith.

2017-2018- Angus
2016-2017- Powers
2015-2016- Koon
2014-2015- Nesmith (got a 6th yr)
2013-2014- Upshaw/Nesmith
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:I said this months ago that this recruiting year scares the bejesues out of m we have so much to replace quality wise and what we now have on the roster doesn’t bode well for us
Stu, must disagree...the core of this team is our guards; JWF, EP, DB, and JR. They are ALL returning...the BIG loss is the Rok, his 10.4 points but more importantly his 12.3 rebounds. After that it's Hunter (3.6 ppg, 2.6 ppg) and then Angus, who has not been a factor recently.

Agree with Polito that Trueheart/Radovic can cover the four spot....now the five is where we need the help....and also as Polito said, I have faith that this coaching staff is on it. As long as we get someone who can score around 10 ppg, play some defense, be a factor in the paint and give us 7-9 rebounds we will be fine.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote: As long as we get someone who can score around 10 ppg, play some defense, be a factor in the paint and give us 7-9 rebounds we will be fine.
Add a few boards to the guy you describe and we're looking for another Rok :) Not so easy to find and harder to land! We all know that these guys are scooped up quicker than other position players.

As far as I'm concerned, offensive points would be a bonus from the 5 spot. If the guy can execute the pick n roll, shoot FTs, and get a put back per game, the points will be there. More importantly, I want a guy who clogs the middle, can play solid D against guys like Cacock and Knight, and pull down 9-10 rebs per game. We all know this is basically a guard dominated conference, but it does seem like more and more teams are coming up with at least one quality big man per squad.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:I said this months ago that this recruiting year scares the bejesues out of m we have so much to replace quality wise and what we now have on the roster doesn’t bode well for us
Stu, must disagree...the core of this team is our guards; JWF, EP, DB, and JR. They are ALL returning...the BIG loss is the Rok, his 10.4 points but more importantly his 12.3 rebounds. After that it's Hunter (3.6 ppg, 2.6 ppg) and then Angus, who has not been a factor recently.

Agree with Polito that Trueheart/Radovic can cover the four spot....now the five is where we need the help....and also as Polito said, I have faith that this coaching staff is on it. As long as we get someone who can score around 10 ppg, play some defense, be a factor in the paint and give us 7-9 rebounds we will be fine.
Agree with u guys in that we're in good shape for next year. There r lots of good players out there transfers, grad. students and maybe just maybe we'll land a kid out of H.S. that's got game. I'm more concerned looking ahead at who can replace JWF when he graduates. Maybe that's JR as he starts to evolve into a stud type player. Time will tell.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

As of now who gets the rebounds for next year
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Between Rok and Sabety they average 16 rebounds per game...we as a team average something like 36...it will get done IMO
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

triplec2195 wrote:This kid just committed to Binghamton- 2/19/2018 - 2018 SF Justin Steers (6-6, 185, 2★) committed to Binghamton!
Makes sense because Binghamton's coach has a Philly pipeline... not sure if Dempsey makes to next year though, fell apart in conference play, he may be back in the mix by the summer!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

What about our coach? If he can recruit Tanksley and Green to Niagara why can't he bring that talent from the Philly area to Hofstra which is in a far better conference then the MAA??
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:Agree with u guys in that we're in good shape for next year. There r lots of good players out there transfers, grad. students and maybe just maybe we'll land a kid out of H.S. that's got game.
HUSID74 wrote:Between Rok and Sabety they average 16 rebounds per game...we as a team average something like 36...it will get done IMO
Once again, I think you guys settle for mediocrity to easily! We must be in first place right now - 5 games up on our closest competitor (I guess I'm just not aware). You make it sound like our team is sooo good right now, that we can take a downgrade at the 5 next year and "we will be fine" :shock: :o Whats up with that????

JM should be out there hustling his butt off to get the best 5 out there (and I assume he is). If we get a mediocre 5 next year, we will be "perfectly" set to be in the mix. I DON"T WANT TO BE IN THE MIX! I want an impact 5 whose presence puts us over the top. I want to be the favorite next year for JWF's final season. We are not the favorite without a solid big man (it will be CoC again). In addition, we will be easy pickings for any high level out of conference opponents we face next year.

It will be the same old 1,500 fans per game, the same old guys on this board complaining about attendance, the same old excuses about playing "away" games, same old refs who are against the northern teams......blah....blah....blah...... How about we strive to run out a top team that plays at a level such that the excuses have no impact. What a concept!!!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

No one is settling for anything...we want the best for this program and I have the confidence that this staff will get it done. Who brought in Rok?

As for attendance, that's another story...the school is flat out not investing in marketing the program...that's a conversation for another time!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Agree with u guys in that we're in good shape for next year. There r lots of good players out there transfers, grad. students and maybe just maybe we'll land a kid out of H.S. that's got game.
HUSID74 wrote:Between Rok and Sabety they average 16 rebounds per game...we as a team average something like 36...it will get done IMO
Once again, I think you guys settle for mediocrity to easily! We must be in first place right now - 5 games up on our closest competitor (I guess I'm just not aware). You make it sound like our team is sooo good right now, that we can take a downgrade at the 5 next year and "we will be fine" :shock: :o Whats up with that????

JM should be out there hustling his butt off to get the best 5 out there (and I assume he is). If we get a mediocre 5 next year, we will be "perfectly" set to be in the mix. I DON"T WANT TO BE IN THE MIX! I want an impact 5 whose presence puts us over the top. I want to be the favorite next year for JWF's final season. We are not the favorite without a solid big man (it will be CoC again). In addition, we will be easy pickings for any high level out of conference opponents we face next year.

It will be the same old 1,500 fans per game, the same old guys on this board complaining about attendance, the same old excuses about playing "away" games, same old refs who are against the northern teams......blah....blah....blah...... How about we strive to run out a top team that plays at a level such that the excuses have no impact. What a concept!!!
Cards why do you conclude that we are settling for mediocrity?? What leads you to that conclusion? We're not saying that KS is REPLACING ROK next year but having to replace one player(starter) albeit a good one is far easier then replacing 4 like we had to do last year. Most teams in this conference are losing some of their best players where we have the nucleus of our team coming back. COC is losing Chealey arguably their best player so I don't think they will be the favorite next year. More then likely NE will be which is the only team I believe not losing any starters. We will probably be predicted 2nd or 3rd depending on who we get to replace ROK. Predicted near the top is that your definition of being mediocre?? IMO we will be a team to be reckoned with.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I just don't sense that some of you see any urgency in replacing RG with an extremely capable player. Picking up some guy that's get 7-8 rebounds per game will be a major downgrade. This is clearly the toughest position to fill - big capable 5s are simply not that common. So as it stands right now, not only do we have to replace Rok, but we don't even have a backup to replace Hunter.

I know that there have been several instances where JM has brought in high level talent, and it was someone that most of us on the board had no inkling of what had been going on behind the scenes. And that's great - I really hope it happens this year.

Are you "settling" - maybe, maybe not. As of right now, we don't have a 5 for next year.....nothing has happened. Are you guys willing to wait another 3 months, 4 months??? This is the most critical recruit this year. And yes, unless we bring in a stud, COC will be the favorite next year (even without Chealey who has taken on a lesser role with the emergence of Riller).
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cards wrote:I just don't sense that some of you see any urgency in replacing RG with an extremely capable player. Picking up some guy that's get 7-8 rebounds per game will be a major downgrade. This is clearly the toughest position to fill - big capable 5s are simply not that common. So as it stands right now, not only do we have to replace Rok, but we don't even have a backup to replace Hunter.

I know that there have been several instances where JM has brought in high level talent, and it was someone that most of us on the board had no inkling of what had been going on behind the scenes. And that's great - I really hope it happens this year.

Are you "settling" - maybe, maybe not. As of right now, we don't have a 5 for next year.....nothing has happened. Are you guys willing to wait another 3 months, 4 months??? This is the most critical recruit this year. And yes, unless we bring in a stud, COC will be the favorite next year (even without Chealey who has taken on a lesser role with the emergence of Riller).
Do we have a choice regarding waiting? I already posted somewhere that there are several players who have committed to visits but they are still playing out their seasons. It is what it is...Because WE are impatient the staff needs to respond and sign someone???? Hardly!