MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by Cards »

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you follow HU MBB and are a fan of this team, how could you not know the 8-9 names of the guys on the team who play regular minutes(and the corresponding initials) :o

Just sayin :)
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cards wrote:Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you follow HU MBB and are a fan of this team, how could you not know the 8-9 names of the guys on the team who play regular minutes(and the corresponding initials) :o

Totally agree Cards! It's not like its a football team! Lol
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I think we call know who JWF is. As he is the only player known who had 3 initials
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Agree with u guys it's not like we have players with the same initials. Similar maybe but not the same! A friendly reminder to get on board guys!
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

A lot of smoke but no fire as yet. So far this year except for a couple of players has been a huge disappointment.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

bobe13 wrote:A lot of smoke but no fire as yet. So far this year except for a couple of players has been a huge disappointment.
Maybe a disappointment but not huge yet lets keep the faith at least until the smoke clears tonight!!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:Well yes it was him knocking the program without a doubt and other players that he expressed his opinions about. He knocked his son more then anything else let's say constructive criticism! He was negative on the way some players weren't developed here especially post players and had some comments about a certain player that I thought should of had playing time but didn't and now that player is no longer here. Inside info. if u will.
You sure that is Benardi's father quotes and not Lorenzo Ball's father? LOL!
The things you say that BB father said - makes BB father sound like one of us. lack of "development here..with post players"..."playing time" of players...no problem with those things said by BB father - especially if he was honest with the assessment of his sons play (which you insinuate he was).
Its always interesting to hear about a players or players parents insight to a teams workings - however those comments from those people are often jaded . Look at the backlash that ESPN is getting for giving LaVar Ball a platform to talk about the Lakers coach Luke Walton.
I am NO way comparing what BB father thinks/says to the blowhard Ball - but can you imagine what a coach, at almost every level now, has to do and listen to from every prima donna kid, every over protecting parent and their entourage?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Cards wrote:Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you follow HU MBB and are a fan of this team, how could you not know the 8-9 names of the guys on the team who play regular minutes(and the corresponding initials) :o

I used to keep spreadsheets of the team so I could figure out what the roster might look like 4 years down the road. But I don't like reading posts with the initials either.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Well yes it was him knocking the program without a doubt and other players that he expressed his opinions about. He knocked his son more then anything else let's say constructive criticism! He was negative on the way some players weren't developed here especially post players and had some comments about a certain player that I thought should of had playing time but didn't and now that player is no longer here. Inside info. if u will.
The things you say that BB father said - makes BB father sound like one of us. lack of "development here..with post players"..."playing time" of players...no problem with those things said by BB father - especially if he was honest with the assessment of his sons play (which you insinuate he was).
Its always interesting to hear about a players or players parents insight to a teams workings - however those comments from those people are often jaded . Look at the backlash that ESPN is getting for giving LaVar Ball a platform to talk about the Lakers coach Luke Walton.
I am NO way comparing what BB father thinks/says to the blowhard Ball - but can you imagine what a coach, at almost every level now, has to do and listen to from every prima donna kid, every over protecting parent and their entourage?
Too funny but actually a very nice man( Brian's father) and I had to listen to his comments the entire game. Certainly had more BB knowledge then I did and at times I think his wife sitting next to him tried to pull in the reins. He watched Brian shooting three's in practice one day and kept saying his arc was wrong because Brian was missing a lot of practice shots. He went down court side and was making suggestions to Brian. He was always critical of his sons play but wasn't going crazy when he was having solid games. All interesting stuff but coaches have to put up with a lot of crap today with the age of the internet and all this sabemetrics which I think in concept spills over into other sports. I don't spend a lot of time listening to Lorenzo Ball he's a joke and falls into the category of the Kardashian's IMO. It's all about marketing a product to death and being an arrogant A-hole!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
daHUPride wrote:
Too funny but actually a very nice man( Brian's father) and I had to listen to his comments the entire game. Certainly had more BB knowledge then I did and at times I think his wife sitting next to him tried to pull in the reins. He watched Brian shooting three's in practice one day and kept saying his arc was wrong because Brian was missing a lot of practice shots. He went down court side and was making suggestions to Brian. He was always critical of his sons play but wasn't going crazy when he was having solid games. All interesting stuff but coaches have to put up with a lot of crap today with the age of the internet and all this sabemetrics which I think in concept spills over into other sports. I don't spend a lot of time listening to Lorenzo Ball he's a joke and falls into the category of the Kardashian's IMO. It's all about marketing a product to death and being an arrogant A-hole!
Nice to hear about BB father - seems like a normal father of a talented child.
I agree with you 100% about the Ball assessment - well said triplec2195.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

This is an example of why it's so hard to get kids....this kid has an offer of a scholarship from Hofstra but may WALK-ON at NC.
https://www.diehards.com/north-carolina ... e-maultsby
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:This is an example of why it's so hard to get kids....this kid has an offer of a scholarship from Hofstra but may WALK-ON at NC.
https://www.diehards.com/north-carolina ... e-maultsby
WOW - tough one. But if that were my kid - the only advice from me would be - it is about the opportunity to PLAY - play in games, play to and against the best competition that you can compete against. To work that hard all those high school years and maybe never see minutes is tough (unless they are not going to be prioritizing that sport-and that is OK too).
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

dude was on Kansas before ASU!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Carton Bragg at HU?? Well, we know there were some issues at previous schools, but we have no idea what they were. If not a total screw-up and there really are some legit reasons for him bouncing around, then heck, bring him to Hempstead. H would immediately be the most talented player in the CAA (along with JWF :D ). Can't survive on talent alone though, be interesting to see of he has the rest of the package.

Wherever he ends up, hope it works out for him.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

He had a laundry list of schools lining up for him coming out of high school. On paper he's a 4/5 star player and the no. 1 player coming out of Ohio in his graduating year 2015. Assuming he's not a problem on and off the court he would be a great get in the mold of John Irving years ago who transferred from ASU. Don't anybody hold there breath on this guy coming here. Certainly not impossible but is it probable?? Per ESPN SCOUTING STRENGTHS;Bragg is an ultra-athletic specimen who can impact the game in a variety of ways. He attacks the offensive glass, finishes in transition, and is an explosive around the rim. He has a lengthy frame with long arms and he has great feet. He plays with tenacity at both .......
Last edited by triplec2195 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'm at a loss and maybe I just refuse to accept reality but maybe Evan can tell us all the kids that r out there looking for scholarships??? It's mind boggling to think for one minute that we can't land good players. This is a good institution with lots going for it now with a medical school and a decent basketball pedigree. We have standards here which I'm sure weeds out kids that don't qualify academically but even so the numbers of kids looking to play is off the charts. You have kids that r playing DIV. 2 AND 3 who probably could play here. Look at the kid who played for UNCW that was a Div.2 player and after he transferred was their leading scorer. I know this is the exception and not the rule but there r lots of good players out there that our recruiting staff needs to find!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Holy cow, Carleton Bragg - big time recruit at one time, he must have really gone through some ish to be in this position. This would be his THIRD transfer, Kansas (was suspended there) to ASU (left for personal reasons) to X... right off the bat doesn't sound like a guy HU would be comfortable with, surprised to see them mentioned.

But I guess when a 5 star McD's All-American top 25 national player with pro potential for a position of great need comes into the picture, you become open minded real fast :D

I think the fact he's more of a mid-west guy doesn't seem likely for HU - but some mid major will likely get an impact player with this one.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:Holy cow, Carleton Bragg - big time recruit at one time, he must have really gone through some ish to be in this position. This would be his THIRD transfer, Kansas (was suspended there) to ASU (left for personal reasons) to X... right off the bat doesn't sound like a guy HU would be comfortable with, surprised to see them mentioned.

But I guess when a 5 star McD's All-American top 25 national player with pro potential for a position of great need comes into the picture, you become open minded real fast :D

I think the fact he's more of a mid-west guy doesn't seem likely for HU - but some mid major will likely get an impact player with this one.
This has Mo Cassara era written all over it...I would stay CLEAR
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Time to close some deals!